Is the Magic in NYC yet?

I've never cruised out of NY. Would anyone happen to know which pier the Magic will be docked at and any tips for embarkation process? (i.e. where to be dropped off, where luggage drop is, customs etc) TIA :sunny:

Thanks for the pictures, I saw that thread but didn't revisit, so I missed your photos.

Those pix were exactly what I needed and was looking for.

DH and I sailed in 2012 out of NYC on the 2 night to nowhere. Next week 4 nights to Canada and next year Bermuda. I love that they sail out of NYC! So convenient!

I am doing a juice cleanse right now so I can pig out next week! Crazy! But I have put on a few too many pounds this summer and this way I can justify the eating!!! Palo Brunch here I come!

Haha...I was on the 8 night Bahamas in May, the 2 night in August and the 5 night to Canada in September (all 2012). Last year we were on the 8 day Bahamas that got switched to 8 day Canada. My friend is onboard this Wednesday for the Canada cruise and we are booked on the Bermuda next October 13th!!! I also LOVE when Disney sails out of NYC. We are only about 25 minutes from the port with no traffic.

I know what you mean about wanting to pig out....I lost 45 lbs. since February and this will be my first DCL since then. Hoping I don't gain it all back LOL!!!

MJ

I've never cruised out of NY. Would anyone happen to know which pier the Magic will be docked at and any tips for embarkation process? (i.e. where to be dropped off, where luggage drop is, customs etc) TIA :sunny:

They generally use Pier 88 and 90 (sometimes one for embarkation and the other for debarkation) but they switch them up.

There are three level to the port. Bottom level for shuttles, buses. Mid level for private car drop offs and taxis and top level for parking.

I was just there Saturday dropping my parents for a cruise and the process was a bit different. Usually I drop them on the mid-level and there are porters taking bags and they walk in terminal to check in. This time they said there were no porters for embarkation (which I thought was very strange) and they had to wait in a line (I waited with them to help) with their luggage until they got into the entrance of the terminal and they had a place to just drop off your bags. It was odd but then a porter did come up to us and took their checked bags. There were rows of bags lined up outside the entrance and inside the doorway. I had never seen that before. So, I don't know if the "no porters for embarkation" is a new things or a fluke. We arrived at 11:40 am. It looked like most of the departing guests were already gone. They were on the Carnival Sunshine and two NCL ships were also in port.

Regardless of which pier they use you would enter the port area at the same spot. You will be asked which ship (if there are others in port) and you tell them and they will direct you how far down to drive to that pier.

MJ

They generally use Pier 88 and 90 (sometimes one for embarkation and the other for debarkation) but they switch them up.

There are three level to the port. Bottom level for shuttles, buses. Mid level for private car drop offs and taxis and top level for parking.

I was just there Saturday dropping my parents for a cruise and the process was a bit different. Usually I drop them on the mid-level and there are porters taking bags and they walk in terminal to check in. This time they said there were no porters for embarkation (which I thought was very strange) and they had to wait in a line (I waited with them to help) with their luggage until they got into the entrance of the terminal and they had a place to just drop off your bags. It was odd but then a porter did come up to us and took their checked bags. There were rows of bags lined up outside the entrance and inside the doorway. I had never seen that before. So, I don't know if the "no porters for embarkation" is a new things or a fluke. We arrived at 11:40 am. It looked like most of the departing guests were already gone. They were on the Carnival Sunshine and two NCL ships were also in port.

Regardless of which pier they use you would enter the port area at the same spot. You will be asked which ship (if there are others in port) and you tell them and they will direct you how far down to drive to that pier.

MJ
Do you usually park at the port? I was looking in to this and saw there is a garage not far away and saved $12/day (which for an 8 day cruise adds up!). http://www.manhattancruiseparking.com/mobi/

Are there's any cams where we can watch the magic sail into port? When is it? Tomorrow?

Oh wow! Well now I am really excited to try this! What about Remy?

I've signed up for Remy twice and cancelled because I have heard with all the add ons it can be quite expensive (for dinner). I hear their brunch is also fantastic!

MJ

Thank you so much!

Oh wow! Well now I am really excited to try this! What about Remy?

Remy is not on the Magic (or Wonder). Only Dream Class. I have never tried it because of my food restrictions (gluten-free, allergic to peanuts, and while not allergic, I gag if anything remotely fishy crosses my lips) and it feels far too frou-frou for me.

Haha...I was on the 8 night Bahamas in May, the 2 night in August and the 5 night to Canada in September (all 2012). Last year we were on the 8 day Bahamas that got switched to 8 day Canada. My friend is onboard this Wednesday for the Canada cruise and we are booked on the Bermuda next October 13th!!! I also LOVE when Disney sails out of NYC. We are only about 25 minutes from the port with no traffic.

I know what you mean about wanting to pig out....I lost 45 lbs. since February and this will be my first DCL since then. Hoping I don't gain it all back LOL!!!

MJ

It took me an hour in 2012 to go about a mile to get to the New Jersey tunnel. Going there was no problem but on the way home was terrible until I got to the tunnel

It took me an hour in 2012 to go about a mile to get to the New Jersey tunnel. Going there was no problem but on the way home was terrible until I got to the tunnel

We come down from North of the city and traffic can be horrible (as an example the GWB is at a standstill today due to truck fire). Last night traffic was stalled due to a jumper. You never can tell!

MJ

Thankfully, we are able to take the train from Trenton directly to Penn Station. I don't want to deal with any tunnel or bridge traffic.

MJ

MJ

Congrats on the weight loss. I go up and down 15-20 lbs every year. Not good but food is my only vice.

I wish we could cruise more often maybe when we area all done with private HS and college.

We parked at the port last time in 2012, but it was just a 2 night to nowhere cruise. This time it's 4 nights. I would pay to park but it kills my DH. I am the type to Valet Park, while he would look for street parking.

We live in Northern Monmouth County. We may have our older son drop us off and pick us up. My DH office is in Brooklyn and we could park in his lot over there and schlep over. I am really not into that.

Well, happy cruising! Thanks for all your help and advice.

AM

Ok DCL fans.....my wonderful husband took me to lunch in the City today to Katz's Deli (yum) and then took me to see the Magic in port. Did I mention he is wonderful! Of course I took pics! I apologize for the clarity but most were taken right at the mid level of the port through dirty plexiglass! We couldn't find a place to park so we just drove in and up to the mid-level. There was one other car there but no one else. I got out and took some pics. Will be cruising on her on 10/14!!! Can't wait!!

DSCN4834.JPG DSCN4839.JPG DSCN4840.JPG DSCN4842.JPG DSCN4845.JPG DSCN4847.JPG DSCN4849.JPG DSCN4852.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG

MJ

Last edited:
Ok DCL fans.....my wonderful husband took me to lunch in the City today to Katz's Deli (yum) and then took me to see the Magic in port. Did I mention he is wonderful! Of course I took pics! I apologize for the clarity but most were taken right at the mid level of the port through dirty plexiglass! We couldn't find a place to park so we just drove in and up to the mid-level. There was one other car there but no one else. I got out and took some pics.

View attachment 272697 View attachment 272698 View attachment 272699 View attachment 272700 View attachment 272701 View attachment 272702 View attachment 272703 View attachment 272704

MJ
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter