Is it REALLY that important to get to the parks early?

I think it just comes down to what kind of theme park people you are. We're Riders - we want to ride our favorites multiple times, not just once or twice - so we always do EMH and we're always at rope drop.

I know there are other folks that are Wanderers - just enjoying taking it as they go and going on rides as they come (with maybe a bit of reasonable planning and FPing). I think this can be done reasonably if it's a slow time of year with low crowd levels.

Which sounds like you might enjoy it more? There's your answer. :)

No I am not a morning person and if u wait and go then stay late esp MLH u can get loooots of things done. IF the rope droppers go then around late afternoon they r drooping they leave. So we can go feel fresh and the parks have thinned out a lot we can do most things without long lines. Them rope droppers usually r going commado lol and r too energetic for me.;)

LOL and I was sharing mine, my apologies, i did not mean to be mean or condescending.

Ok, lightly saying. IMO a good vacation does not depend on a calculator and cost averaging the number of rides. If sleeping in is what makes your family happy than sleeping in at disney is a good vacation.

No one said to break it down to the cost per ride. I was simply saying, if you are going to WDW, it is because you want to see it. The best way to see it, is get out there and see it. The earlier you are, the more successful you will be in experiencing what WDW has to offer.

Apology excepted.

I have children ages 5 and 2, similar to the OP. Personally, I am _not_ a morning person, particularly when I don't have good coffee (and I can't stand the Disney coffee). My kids, however, generally are up early and even I get too excited to sleep much when I'm at Disney World. We generally get up early, grab something quick to eat, and try to make rope drop. We get to do more in the first couple of hours of park opening than we can do in an entire afternoon, generally with very little waiting. We then go back to rest at midday when the crowds/heat are at their worst, and then head out again, usually to a different park, in the evening. My kids usually are in bed at home by 7:30, but at Disney World we generally are all up late and they do surprisingly well with that. When we come home we are exhausted and feel like we need a week of vacation to recover, but it's in a good way, if that makes any sense.

We ran into some snags with our plan our most recent trip because the kids, actually the 2 year old, weren't in a napping frame of mind. She slept a bit in the stroller and it worked out, but it did throw off our foolproof plan that has worked for us in the past. Kids are funny like that sometimes. :) I do think, especially with young kids, you need to have some flexibility and make sure they are getting enough rest, however you need to do that. No one is having fun if the kids and grownups are cranky.

As for how important it is to get there early, I think at less crowded times of year it doesn't matter too much. At busy times, it's a much bigger deal. Waiting in lines goes with the Disney World experience however you cut it, but getting going early minimizes that as much as possible. I also think there are a couple of rides where getting there early, either to ride or pick up a fastpass, is crucial. Those are Toy Story Mania at DHS and Soarin' at Epcot. If you are there at a busy time of year, fastpasses may be gone altogether before noon. And your fastpass you get at 11 am may be for late in the evening. Again, at slower times of year it doesn't matter as much, but if you are there during the holidays and those rides are important to you, it should be a consideration. Dumbo can also be a tough one and there's no fastpass for it, but Soarin' and TSM can be ridiculous.

I have never, ever made a rope drop. And I've been very happy with my trips.

I don't understand all the stress and planning some people put into this.

To me, not planning would be stressful. Getting to the parks "whenever" and missing things I wanted to do would make me really, really unhappy. So we should all do what works for us and not be "confused" that some people who have different preferences. I'm *glad* there are people who don't want to be there at rope drop. Otherwise, what's the point of me getting there early?

I will say this, for us getting up early and making rope drop is that important. I hate/despise crowds and long lines (I know, its WDW) and we have developed plans to avoid these as much as possible and that includes rope drops. We don't do a rope drop every day of our vacation, we are flexible, but we do try to hit rope drop at each park once during a weeks stay. There are just certain rides that are rope drop rides for us (TSM, MK Mountains, Safari at AK, Soarin, etc) if you don't know what you is busiest in a day and you make rope drop, it might not matter at all.

Now, we have been going every year for awhile now, so we are also ok missing some rides, etc. I don't rely on evening EMH's, they are much more crowded then morning EMH's and in the last couple of hours before it starts, the park is actually jammed packed and stays that way for a little bit into the EMH.

We reevaluate our base plans every night and adjust, sometimes switching parks or hopping one day. If we sleep in for morning EMH but can still get to a rope drop at normal opening time for another park we go for it. Rope drop is great regardless if it is EMH or regular, you still have a pretty big lull before everyone else shows up.

Do what your family wants, be flexible, don't overplan. Hit the most important things and enjoy yourself. If the kids are up at 7, go to the EMH if they aren't getting to bed a good time, just let them sleep.

I think it just comes down to what kind of theme park people you are. We're Riders - we want to ride our favorites multiple times, not just once or twice - so we always do EMH and we're always at rope drop.

I know there are other folks that are Wanderers - just enjoying taking it as they go and going on rides as they come (with maybe a bit of reasonable planning and FPing). I think this can be done reasonably if it's a slow time of year with low crowd levels.

Which sounds like you might enjoy it more? There's your answer. :)

I like this way of putting it (Riders versus Wanderers). Your priorities at the parks make a huge difference in how important rope drop is going to be for you.

I do agree if your vacation is a resort getaway (even at Disney) and the priority of the trip is NOT parks, then deluxe resorts - with the Deluxe prices is the way to go, and relax and enjoy.

But the OP said this is her first trip, they are staying at POP, and reading between the lines, I believe she is saying they want to see as much of the parks as possible.

I am simply saying that the longer you are in the parks, the more you will get done. And the earlier you get there, the lower the crowds are.

At approx $2000 for 7 days (6 nights) in a value, that works out to about $300 per day. I personally want to do something I can't do at home for that money.

But the one thing I've learned on the DIS is, for every opinion out there, someone will always have a differing one. Which is good I think, opens up the lines of conversation. :thumbsup2

I guess I see it differently because I am a Fl resident. I have an annual pass & do get the discounts on the room (either AP or FL Resident). For me, 6 nights at Pop will not run me $2000 (I know that is including their tkts). I did originally state that if they wanted to do the most going during a crowded time, they would have to get there early.. and if they didn't, they could sleep in and enjoy their resort too. ....and if they went during a less crowded time, they can get both types of vacations..
Yes, it is great that we can have our different opinions.. I just felt that your statement of Disney is not for relaxing was just not true, it is if you want it to be.. and it isn't if you don't want it to be....:goodvibes It is all in how you want your trip to be.....:flower3:

To me, not planning would be stressful. Getting to the parks "whenever" and missing things I wanted to do would make me really, really unhappy. So we should all do what works for us and not be "confused" that some people who have different preferences. I'm *glad* there are people who don't want to be there at rope drop. Otherwise, what's the point of me getting there early?

Oh, I didn't say I don't plan. I just don't stress or get neurotic over my plans like so many on the Dis do.

And if I never see a rope drop, I'll be happy. 'Cuz, like I said, I've never missed out on anything I've wanted to do, and I rarely wait in long lines.

I don't stress over my plans, I love making them, modifying them and then once we're in the parks, completely ignoring them! :rotfl: It's just fun to make the plans. You don't have to follow them to the letter.

I guess I see it differently because I am a Fl resident. I have an annual pass & do get the discounts on the room (either AP or FL Resident). For me, 6 nights at Pop will not run me $2000 (I know that is including their tkts). I did originally state that if they wanted to do the most going during a crowded time, they would have to get there early.. and if they didn't, they could sleep in and enjoy their resort too. ....and if they went during a less crowded time, they can get both types of vacations..
Yes, it is great that we can have our different opinions.. I just felt that your statement of Disney is not for relaxing was just not true, it is if you want it to be.. and it isn't if you don't want it to be....:goodvibes It is all in how you want your trip to be.....:flower3:

For 8 nights and 9 days along with two 8 day PH tickets it's costing me less than $2000 and I'm staying at ASMu. I'm also going during regular season with one day during peak season. I can see it being $2000 during a peak season, but still. You can stay at a value for less than $2000 if you go during the right time.

I wish we could go for less than $2000. Even for a weekend trip of say, 4 days we're looking at:

Value season Pop Century $90 x 4 = $360
Flights minimum $1000 for the two of us.
Food, say $100 a night = $400.
Tickets = er, whatever a 4 day pass would be.

So yeah, a 4 day trip is under $2000, but anything longer isn't. Not fun living a few thousand miles away from WDW. :sad1:

I don't stress over my plans, I love making them, modifying them and then once we're in the parks, completely ignoring them! :rotfl: It's just fun to make the plans. You don't have to follow them to the letter.

Ditto that! My plans are the fun part that keeps my head in the World while I'm anticipating the trip! :):):)

For 8 nights and 9 days along with two 8 day PH tickets it's costing me less than $2000 and I'm staying at ASMu. I'm also going during regular season with one day during peak season. I can see it being $2000 during a peak season, but still. You can stay at a value for less than $2000 if you go during the right time.
Like I said, it doesn't cost me that either. I guess if you don't get any type of discount, you pay for 4 adult priced 7 day park hoppers.. it may get close to that..
but again, I am a FL resident & I pay under $400 for my annual pass.. and that is with tax. When I calculate my cost for a trip, I usually just look at the room rate. I can use my AP 365 days a year if I wanted to (and if I lived about 2 hours closer ;) I would).. that would boil down to just over a $1 per day for the parks..:thumbsup2

Like I said, it doesn't cost me that either. I guess if you don't get any type of discount, you pay for 4 adult priced 7 day park hoppers.. it may get close to that..
but again, I am a FL resident & I pay under $400 for my annual pass.. and that is with tax. When I calculate my cost for a trip, I usually just look at the room rate. I can use my AP 365 days a year if I wanted to (and if I lived about 2 hours closer ;) I would).. that would boil down to just over a $1 per day for the parks..:thumbsup2

I was emphasizing what you were saying because I agree. :thumbsup2

I don't have any discounts unfortunately. :sad1: Maybe one day I will get one, but I'm not complaining about the price because it's still not costing me a fortune. :rotfl:

That's so nice that the hotels and all that can be so cheap! My grandparents own a condo in Ft. Lauderdale, but I wouldn't want to drive 3 1/2 hours to get to Disney World. Now if I could inherit that condo, I'd move there in a jiffy. :rotfl:

I have never, ever made a rope drop. And I've been very happy with my trips.

I don't understand all the stress and planning some people put into this.

I am not one who puts any stress or planning into being at rope drop.

My body rhythm is set so that I'm wide awake at 6:30. I'm up, dressed and heading to the food court for coffee by 7:00. By 7:30 or so, I am so restless and ready to get going!!

Disney is perfect for me because I'm such a morning person. There's no stress at all about getting to rope drop. The only planning involved is, whick park are we going to, and let's not get lost on our way to the bus stop! :cool1:

I just got back from 8 full days in WDW and just wanted to chime in (haven't read most of thread, just responding to OP's original question). We were two families, 4 adults with 5 kids (ages 2 to 9) in tow.

My DH loves to sleep in on vacation, but even he swears by getting into the parks when they open and leaving in the afternoon for a break. Then, we're ready for our dinner ADR's, fireworks, and even some PM EMH if we feel like it.

Our companion family experimented with arriving at the parks a little later (took their time at b'fast, etc). They quickly figured out how much more enjoyable the parks are in the morning as compared to the afternoon.

We all got on the same page and did early mornings/late nights with relaxed afternoons by the pool. Worked great for everyone, even the two year old (who was a trooper).

And as a bonus, it's gonna be a lot easier for my kids to get up for school tomorrow morning since they never got accustomed to sleeping in! :cool2:

Just my two cents. Enjoy your trip! :goodvibes

I haven't read through all the posts here, but I'm a huge fan of getting to the parks when the open. I don't mad dash to get there right at rope drop, but I like to be there within 10 minutes of park opening. With four little ones, I can't (or won't ;)) stand in line for a long time, so we get there early in the day when lines are shorter and FP have a decent return time. Do you HAVE to get there early? Of course not. Depends on what you're looking for. Some people say yes, get there early, others say you're on vacation so sleep in....it really depends on what you're looking to do/wanting from your trip. Can you see it all and get there after opening? Yep. Can you see it all by getting there right at opening? Yep. Really, I think personal preference, unless you're traveling during a busy time of the year. I've not done busy times, so I can't speak for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter