Is it REALLY that important to get to the parks early?

OP, think of this Disney vacation at the template for future Disney vacations. You will learn HOW you and your family like to vacation at WDW. That is the most important thing. Think about how you are at home. Do you like to sleep in? Do you run around getting things done? Have you been planning this vacation to every last detail? How about the rest of the family? Can the kids handle late nights? Do they rest in the afternoon? How much do you want to see and do you think you will be back soon? Take all of these things into account. YOU CANNOT DO IT ALL IN ONE VACATION! And that is okay :goodvibes

See, I was that person. And I had to learn the hard way that I have a husband that does not like RDs. So on our 2nd vacation I only insisted on one RD and that was HS so we could get to TSM early. And even then, we didn't. Did I freak out? No. But on that 2nd vacation we had made the nightime shows our priority.

Rope Drops are only important if you really need them to be. :thumbsup2

You are so right! Thank you for reminding me that this is our first trip and it will sort of be a "test run" - I seemed to have forgotten that in the past few weeks. :goodvibes

You are so right! Thank you for reminding me that this is our first trip and it will sort of be a "test run" - I seemed to have forgotten that in the past few weeks. :goodvibes

One thing I forgot. WDW is HUGE. I mean HUGE. People hear it. But until they get there and go from park to park and park to resort, they don't really grasp it. Don't try and do too much. Especially with young kids. They get tired, you will get tired. What is most important is that you and your family have FUN!!!!!! :banana:

The week before Thanksgiving is actually one of the slowest weeks of the year at Disney. Whether Rope Drop is necessary or not really depends on what time of year the OP is there.

YAY! I hope it's that way this year, since everybody is saying the crowds have been bad lately. But, we are arriving on the LAST day of free dining :thumbsup2 so I'm hoping I'm the only one that figured that trick out. :goodvibes

One thing I forgot. WDW is HUGE. I mean HUGE. People hear it. But until they get there and go from park to park and park to resort, they don't really grasp it. Don't try and do too much. Especially with young kids. They get tired, you will get tired. What is most important is that you and your family have FUN!!!!!! :banana:

LOL That's what my DH keeps telling me (he's been 3 times). He says the kids and I are going to be so amazed and overwhelmed every second, that it will all be awesome just walking around and looking at stuff. :goodvibes

Walking around looking at stuff is my favorite part of WDW. I'm sure its been said before but don't try to do it all, stop and watch the great CM's that perform and bring the Disney Magic to you, try not to force the magic to happen, being unexpected and unique to you is what makes it magic. I've been to WDW 25+ times and could count on one hand the moments that blew me away but everytrip I've been on has been filled with moments I will never forget. :wizard:

Have a wonderful trip!

YAY! I hope it's that way this year, since everybody is saying the crowds have been bad lately. But, we are arriving on the LAST day of free dining :thumbsup2 so I'm hoping I'm the only one that figured that trick out. :goodvibes

So you are arriving on 11/18. Crowds are expecting to start climbing around 11/20, but they won't get really bad until 11/22.

Have you tried ridemax yet? I was playing around with it earlier, using "like days" to play with our February trip. I was actually amazed at the effect of arriving 30 minutes after park opening, even on less-than-packed days. (Basically, the difference is getting 8-10 attractions in the first 2 hours, versus 5-7 attractions in those 2 hours.)

If you are wanting to get everything done... absolutely! You MUST unless you want to hang around your hotel

With kids, you may need to figure it out as you go. For our first trip, the plan was to go back to the room for a break in the middle of the day. I was told that a child who had given up naps a year prior would be able to nap. He was barely 3 years old and going back to the room was a waste. He was still hyped up and can't take naps regularly so all it did was waste time. (There was no way he was sleeping in the stroller either, but we knew that wasn't going to happen). We figured out that the best plan was to hit rope drop and go, go, go. When he acted like we needed to leave, we left. It was that simple. He was incapable of sleeping in, so we needed to leave the parks in time for him to get to bed at a reasonable hour.

For the next two trips, we stuck to that rope drop then go, go, go plan. Our last trip had a nearly 4 year old who can nap in the car quite easily - but she was incapable of napping at Disney. Even the 11 month old fought his nap and often didn't nap until 4 or 5 pm. (He managed to get enough sleep though). The nearly 4 year old also is incapable of sleeping in so bedtime was very important.

I vote for doing whatever gets the kids enough sleep. It's fine to try pushing them one day to see how it goes. But if they obviously need more sleep, then adjust your plans so they'll get it. I have found that keeping the same bedtimes that we do at home are the best way to handle things. (With the exception of anyone who naps - but my kids don't have bedtimes until the nap is given up).

*We go when it's slow and we still make rope drop. It's worth it to look at our watch and realize we've been in the park for two hours and already done Fantasyland, with some of the rides more than once! Our young kids seem to do best doing a lot of rides right away. Then we can slow down and take in a show if lines start up. (A line to my kids is 15 minutes or more).

I just returned from my 21st WDW vacation and I have yet to make a rope drop or had any kind of touring plan. I've had an amazing time on every single one of those vacations.

Your post is worded in such a way as to convey that you really don't want to get up and rush to rope drop. So don't.

or-

Maybe since it's your first trip you could try one rope drop day and see if you feel it's worth it for your other days. But if you don't make it, don't fret over it. Just make the most of what you do and where you are.

Your kids are little and will have a wonderful time and won't know the difference if they aren't able to ride every single thing. After all, most little kids report that the hotel pool is their favorite part of a WDW vacation.

But they will pick up on your stress if you knock yourself out hustling everyone to the park and then taking off at near-run after rope drop or risk being trampled because the folks at this board have (honestly)told you it's best to do if you want to knock out the popular attractions with minimal wait times.

You have to go with your gut on what works best for your family and the pace you like and only you can decide that. It is true that you will not make it to every ride and you will have long waits at the most popular attractions. But then, I suspect you already know that. Instead you can just adopt the attitude that you will move at a pace comfortable for your family and take in what you can and the rest can be saved for future trips.

In recent years, with my kids, being teens, we never ever try for rope drop. And if the daughter who takes a looooong time to get ready is with us, part of our party is lucky to get there by noon! But we just tease her about it and visit whatever attractions we can and we still have fun together.

On the flip side of our normal - we always visit fantasy land last. Since we aren't that tired and the girls are older, we stay until closing which is sometimes midnight or later. Fantasyland is practically empty after the parade and all the kiddie rides are pretty much walk-on. The girls and I are usually pretty giddy at that point and have a blast on Peter Pan, Snow White, Pooh and etc.

Yes, time is money at WDW but to us, part of the experience is just being there, hearing the music, seeing the sights, taking photos, seeing the shows, etc. It's not ALL about the rides to us. We just enjoy the overall atmosphere and the great service, great resort rooms, interesting dining options and the fact that we don't have to drive anywhere to get to anything.

Think about what works for you and what type of vacationer you are. Will you be content with a slower, do-what-you-can pace or will you disappointed and feel your trip is ruined if you have to decide between skipping Dumbo or waiting 2+ hours?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter