Is it possible to get out of getting my dtr the flu shot?

wow, we have NEVER been told that my kids needed to have a flu shot for daycare or school. that's nuts!

I think the vaccination debates have been done to death, but yes, I believe that medical care decisions are best left up to the patient, parents, and the Doctors and other medical personnel they choose to advise them. I would be perfectly fine if every state in our nation did away with having to submit vaccination records for enrollment.

I am not a militant no-vaccines parent. All my children received immunizations on the schedule their Doctors and I thought best. I took my college bound sons in for a Meningitis immunization right before they left to live in the dorms because I felt the risk from the vaccine was minimal and the risk of disease from the close quarter living arrangements warranted the vaccination. And it wasn't even required by law!

I think that is the way it should be done, and not dictated by politicians who are often idiots and often highly lobbied and influenced by the Pharmaceutical industry.

Kind of like the Cervical Cancer, HPV vaccine was done in the beginning. BIg time politics there, but I can't remember the specifics. Something about a congressman or woman and their spouse being employed by the company that produced the vaccine.

I think that is the way it should be done, and not dictated by politicians who are often idiots and often highly lobbied and influenced by the Pharmaceutical industry.
I agree with you. HOWEVER, for YEARS the government has required certain immunizations for kids to attend school. Anyone upset over the government adding the flu vaccine should be equally upset measles, diphtheria, and whatever other vaccines are required to enroll kids in school.

Like I said, my family doesn't get the flu shot. But if our state all of a sudden required it for the kids to go to school, the kids would get the shot. Yes, it should be my choice as a parent concerning medical decisions, and I would still have the choice (as the OP does). The choice is get the shot or take the child out of preschool. I would NOT claim "religious reasons" because that's not why we don't get the shot and it's not worth lying about.

It's being reported that three school systems in Tennessee are closed for the rest of the week due to widespread flu cases.

I agree with you. HOWEVER, for YEARS the government has required certain immunizations for kids to attend school. Anyone upset over the government adding the flu vaccine should be equally upset measles, diphtheria, and whatever other vaccines are required to enroll kids in school.

Like I said, my family doesn't get the flu shot. But if our state all of a sudden required it for the kids to go to school, the kids would get the shot. Yes, it should be my choice as a parent concerning medical decisions, and I would still have the choice (as the OP does). The choice is get the shot or take the child out of preschool. I would NOT claim "religious reasons" because that's not why we don't get the shot and it's not worth lying about.

I guess most of us don't put the Flu in the same category as the measles, and diphtheria. Also according to the CDC 90% of deaths form the flu are from people 65 years or older. Not children.

I think the vaccination debates have been done to death, but yes, I believe that medical care decisions are best left up to the patient, parents, and the Doctors and other medical personnel they choose to advise them. I would be perfectly fine if every state in our nation did away with having to submit vaccination records for enrollment.

I am not a militant no-vaccines parent. All my children received immunizations on the schedule their Doctors and I thought best. I took my college bound sons in for a Meningitis immunization right before they left to live in the dorms because I felt the risk from the vaccine was minimal and the risk of disease from the close quarter living arrangements warranted the vaccination. And it wasn't even required by law!

FYI: In many states, the regulations for child care centers and preschools are NOT written by lawmakers. In many places they are written by child development experts, medical personnel and people in the field.

No one is trying to run a conspiracy to take over your kids. They are trying to do what is best for the children of their state as a whole.

FYI: In many states, the regulations for child care centers and preschools are NOT written by lawmakers. In many places they are written by child development experts, medical personnel and people in the field.

No one is trying to run a conspiracy to take over your kids. They are trying to do what is best for the children of their state as a whole.

Ssssh -
Rational thinking - on this topic :lmao::lmao:

Won't happen - too many posters ignorant on this topic.

Not having to pump my own gas is a bonus! I don't think I could ever leave here - it's really a great place to live, if you can afford it.

:thumbsup2 Love not pumping gas. Pull up, hand over the card and tell them what you want and pull away when done.

I would love to get rid of the property taxes though... :lmao:

Ssssh -
Rational thinking - on this topic :lmao::lmao:

Won't happen - too many posters ignorant on this topic.

Wow, thanks, no really. You rock. :rotfl2: Actually according to the NY TImes it was the Govt that required it and as far as I can see, NJ is the only state. I can't find an article that lists another state that does require this.

I guess most of us don't put the Flu in the same category as the measles, and diphtheria. Also according to the CDC 90% of deaths form the flu are from people 65 years or older. Not children.

And five minutes ago the flu shot was only recommended for the elderly and those with other health problems. Now everyone must get it every year or face certain death!

I like to live on the edge and have deduced that we are much better off taking our chances getting the flu and maybe gaining some lifelong immunity to other viruses along the way. If we all die of the flu I am still confident in my decision.

It's a gamble.

Looks like NJ was written by law makers. I also can't find any other state that requires it, maybe I am not looking hard enough.

OP here again....The more I think about the more I truely feel that giving my daughter the flu shot is not the right choice for my family. I am her parent and ultimately feel qualified to make an informed decision. I ofcourse have all of her immunizations up to date, its really the flu shot that is bothering me. Looking at statistics, it just doesn't make sense why this is a law for only preschool kids and only in NJ. How many kids who are healthy die from the flu? I assume that number is very low. I am beginning to think this is all about money....it is NJ!

At this point, I am seriously thinking about religious exempt. They leave me no other choice. Yes, I can take her out of school, but that seems ridiculous. Oh by the way she is 4 and I am planning to put her back in this school again next year, she is staying back another year. So, she will be 5, in the same preschool, and if I read correctly, no longer needs the flu vaccine! That makes no sense to me!

And five minutes ago the flu shot was only recommended for the elderly and those with other health problems. Now everyone must get it every year or face certain death!

I like to live on the edge and have deduced that we are much better off taking our chances getting the flu and maybe gaining some lifelong immunity to other viruses along the way. If we all die of the flu I am still confident in my decision.

It's a gamble.

lol. No we live in Florida, we just go out and stand in the sun, and burn those little germs off our bodies. lol

Looks like NJ was written by law makers. I also can't find any other state that requires it, maybe I am not looking hard enough.

Someone said that Florida does. NJ may just be one of the first and other states will follow suit? Still doesn't make them wrong, imo.

If someone is unhappy with the way the regulations are written in their state, then they should find out how and why they were written and work toward changing them.

But, like someone said, the OP has two choices: get the shot or take your child out of preschool.

First, none of my family gets a flu shot, so I would also be upset over this. BUT, do those of you complaining have a problem with schools & daycares requiring chicken pox vaccines or polio or any of the half dozen or so inoculations our kids get and have to show the school they got?

Personally I see a difference between the flu vaccine and other immunizations, both in terms of efficacy and principle. Most vaccines confer lasting protection against diseases with significant rates of serious complications; the flu vaccine has to be administered annually in hopes of providing some protection against that particular year's strain of what is, for the vast majority, a minor illness.

I wouldn't be lining my kids up for chicken pox or measles vaccines if they had to be given every year to work either. I personally believe that tinkering with our bodies' natural defenses should be done infrequently and only after carefully evaluating the risk/reward balance, and an annual vaccine against an illness that is extremely unlikely to be anything more than unpleasant doesn't meet my personal standard on that count. I think it is very telling that even the CDC flyers the kids bring home from school during the annual flu vaccine campaign talk more about the benefits of reduced absenteeism than about the dangers of the disease.

renae3 said:
OP here again....The more I think about the more I truely feel that giving my daughter the flu shot is not the right choice for my family. I am her parent and ultimately feel qualified to make an informed decision. I ofcourse have all of her immunizations up to date, its really the flu shot that is bothering me. Looking at statistics, it just doesn't make sense why this is a law for only preschool kids and only in NJ. How many kids who are healthy die from the flu? I assume that number is very low. I am beginning to think this is all about money....it is NJ!

At this point, I am seriously thinking about religious exempt. They leave me no other choice. Yes, I can take her out of school, but that seems ridiculous. Oh by the way she is 4 and I am planning to put her back in this school again next year, she is staying back another year. So, she will be 5, in the same preschool, and if I read correctly, no longer needs the flu vaccine! That makes no sense to me!

I think the religious exempt is your only option. Unfortunately, you are going to have to lie to defend your child from the "government who knows best". It probably won't be the last time....

Someone said that Florida does. NJ may just be one of the first and other states will follow suit? Still doesn't make them wrong, imo.

If someone is unhappy with the way the regulations are written in their state, then they should find out how and why they were written and work toward changing them.

But, like someone said, the OP has two choices: get the shot or take your child out of preschool.

NO Florida does not. Just because a poster said it, doesn't make it true.

OH and they tried changing them. But you said that it was Govt based, that is what I was pointing out.

I was able to get out of it but I had to provide a letter from the Dr saying that my daughter couldn't have the vaccine because she has an egg allergy. Does you dr agree that its nots good for her to have based on the previous reaction of your other child? If so maybe you can get a dr note?

This is exactly what I would post about it, too. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter