Is it possible to get out of getting my dtr the flu shot?

renae3

Mouseketeer
Hello. My daughter attends preschool, 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours. I was just given a letter saying it is mandatory for her to get the flu shot. I called and told them I don't get my kids the flu shot. My oldest had a very bad reaction, and since then I haven't gotten them. She says it is the law for preschool, not older kids. My question is I really don't want to give her the shot, what can I do? She told me if it was a religious reason, only then could I get out of it. Obviously, I am torn and am kinda upset. I mean its the flu, not the measles or some deadly disease. Anyone have any ideas??

The flu shot is the "Law"
Wow, that's a new one to me
Is this a normal mandate???? It's been a long time since my kidlets were in preschool

Hello. My daughter attends preschool, 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours. I was just given a letter saying it is mandatory for her to get the flu shot. I called and told them I don't get my kids the flu shot. My oldest had a very bad reaction, and since then I haven't gotten them. She says it is the law for preschool, not older kids. My question is I really don't want to give her the shot, what can I do? She told me if it was a religious reason, only then could I get out of it. Obviously, I am torn and am kinda upset. I mean its the flu, not the measles or some deadly disease. Anyone have any ideas??

No, the flu shot is not "the law". What state are you in?

If they continue to press it, you can do one of two things ~ push back and say you refuse or put your child in another pre-school.

My kids don't get the flu shot, either.

mamacatnv said:
The flu shot is the "Law"
Wow, that's a new one to me
Is this a normal mandate???? It's been a long time since my kidlets were in preschool

My kids have never needed a flu shot by law. They were just updated on their shots for school a few months ago and we weren't even asked if we wanted it.(It wasn't given, I keep track of what they get.)

SaraJayne said:
No, the flu shot is not "the law". What state are you in?

If they continue to press it, you can do one of two things ~ push back and say you refuse or put your child in another pre-school.

My kids don't get the flu shot, either.

Phew... Mine don't either but I afraid to say so here on the DIS lol!

We live in New Jersey and I was told by the school it is a state law. My daughter loves the school and actually so do I, so I would hate to have to find another preschool.

Does she really mean it is actually the law, or is it just the rule for that particular preschool? If its just a policy that the preschool itself has, then you could just try to find one that doesn't require the shot and move your daughter to that one.

And though I am sure that many other posters will also point this out, the flu is a deadly disease for many people each year. It's early for flu season right now and there are already lots of cases in my area so I imagine this is going to be a particularly bad year for flu.

ETA- I see that it's apparently the law for every preschool. In that case, switching wouldn't work. Maybe you could get a nanny or babysitter and remove your daughter from preschool. Or maybe there's a process to get a medical waiver? Or you could just have her get the shot.

renae3 said:
We live in New Jersey and I was told by the school it is a state law. My daughter loves the school and actually so do I, so I would hate to have to find another preschool.

So try to get a waiver from the doctor. My friend doesn't immunize her children because if an issue she had with her first born and gets a waiver from the doc to enroll them in school or after school things.

It very well could be a regulation of your state, every state has their own regulations (or laws) for preschool/child care. You can access your state's regulations on line. Just google it.

But, if your child had a bad reaction to the shot; you should be able to get a letter from her dr. stating this. They can put it in her file and that will stand in place of her having the flu shot.

I get my kids the flu shot, and am all about vaccines, but I don't think the flu shot is one a school should require you to get. I've never heard of that before.
If it's a private preschool your only option might be just choosing a different one though.

We had a child in our little private preschool once who had a weak immune system due to a medical issue, and the school let everyone know that it would help protect the child if the rest of the kids got their flu shot. It certainly wasn't required though.

Well, I did a little googling and it seems in New Jersey, it is the law, which personally, I find outrageous.

I'd opt out on religious grounds, even if that isn't true.

So now the NJ government gets to decide what goes in your children's body, not you, the parent. :mad:

It probably isn't really a "law" just a rule of the pre-school. Either way there is usually a medical waiver allowed, some kids just can't be vaccinated due to bad reactions. I'd find out for sure which it is, then push the fact that you have a real medical reason not to vaccinate regardless.

I'm big into getting kids vaccinated, but if there is an allergy (or real concern there might be an allergy) of course one shouldn't get vaccinated. That's just common sense.

I guess I don't see what is wrong with getting the flu shot unless the recipient is allergic to it, has religious objections to it or has had a bad reaction in the past as stated.

It very well could be a regulation of your state, every state has their own regulations (or laws) for preschool/child care. You can access your state's regulations on line. Just google it.

But, if your child had a bad reaction to the shot; you should be able to get a letter from her dr. stating this. They can put it in her file and that will stand in place of her having the flu shot.

In New Jersey, the only way to opt out of the shot is a religious reason. Oops, I meant to add medical, too. Sorry, shouldn't do 2 things at once. :)

As of September 2008, children attending licensed child care or preschool were required to receive two additional vaccines:

• annual, seasonal influenza vaccine by December 31 of each year, and
  • pneumococcal conjugate vaccine.

New Jerseys immunization regulations provide for medical and religious exemptions. Objections to vaccination that are of a philosophical, moral, secular or of a more general nature are not acceptable.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/req_imm.shtml#ir

According to this website it is the law in New Jersey

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/req_imm.shtml

This is the code for a Religious Exemption which states the school should not question the parent's written statement of religious exemption. Do with that whatever your own value system requires

Religious Exemptions:
N.J.S.A. 26:1A – 9.1 provides an exemption for pupils from mandatory immunization “if the parent or guardian of the pupil objects thereto in a written statement signed by the parent or guardian upon the grounds that the proposed immunization interferes with the free exercise of the pupil’s religious rights.” All schools, child care centers, and local health officers may be advised that the religious exemption extends to private, parochial, and public institutions. When a parent or guardian submits their written religious exemption to immunization, which contains some religious reference, those persons charged with implementing administrative rules at N.J.A.C. 8:57 – 4.4, should not question whether the parent’s professed religious statement or stated belief is reasonable, acceptable, sincere and bona fide. In practice, if the written statement contains the word “religion” or “religious” or some reference thereto, then the statement should be accepted and the religious exemption of mandatory immunization(s) granted. The language requiring how the administration of immunizing agents conflicts with the student’s religious beliefs does not mandate specificity as to membership in a recognized church or religious denomination. NJDHSS will seek to amend the rules at N.J.A.C. 8:57 – 4.4 through the Administrative Rules process to be consistent with N.J.S.A. 26:1A – 9.1.

Well, I did a little googling and it seems in New Jersey, it is the law, which personally, I find outrageous.

I'd opt out on religious grounds, even if that isn't true.

So now the NJ government gets to decide what goes in your children's body, not you, the parent. :mad:

I cannot believe theyre forcing everyone to get the flu shot! Thats ridiculous! What if the person is allergic? They should be able to opt out due to medical reasons, and provide a note from your dr. Thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life. I do not get the flu shot, nor does my son. My kid, my choice. I would lie and say its religious reasons for sure.

Lie.
'Laws' like that don't deserve the respect of the truth.
Say its for religious reasons.
Your kid, your choice.

There could actually be a reason for the law/regulation. Remember the regulations are made for children in any preschool/child care/ head start setting across a state or region. Some children need to be protected from the flu and need to be protected from being around others with the flu.

In many states the regulations are for children from ages 6 weeks to 5 years so its not just for a healthy, 4 year old child. Its also for the 8 week old with health problems that has to be in child care while mom works.

If the OP's child has issues talking the shot, then she can get something from her dr. but that doesn't mean every parent out there should lie their way out of getting it for their child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!