Is it okay to change a baby’s diaper at a table?

Social Worker Sue

Mouseketeer
I say NO WAY. Under NO circumstances should a baby be changed where people eat. So disgusting:crazy2:

Then the dad became furious that the employees told his wife to wipe down the seat after the diaper change. He dumped his coffee on the floor and said "Make sure you clean that":sad2:

What dreadful people.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013...-woman-after-changed-her-baby-diaper-on-seat/

Is it okay to change a baby’s diaper in a Starbucks if there’s no restroom changing table?

"That question led to a fight between a Denver mother of a one-year-old and Starbucks employees that resulted in a call to the police.

According to 9News.com in Denver, Ruth Burgos had to change her one-year-old son’s diaper while getting a coffee on Friday night. Realizing that there was no changing table in the store’s restroom, she changed him in the seating area, on the seat.

“As a mother, you have to do what you have to do. Wherever you have to do it,” she told 9News. ”I just kind of wiped him off, cleaned him off as quickly as I could.”

Her husband says a Starbucks employee was rude to his wife, speaking in what he claims was a “demeaning tone.”

“He said make sure to wipe the seat when you’re done,” he said. “They started talking amongst themselves and laughing about it.”

He got so mad, he says, he dumped his venti coffee on the floor, saying, “Make sure you clean that.”

A Starbucks employee called the police to report a "disturbance," but ultimately nobody was arrested.

The coffee chain's representative Jaime Riley told 9News that Starbucks "apologized to the Burgos family," and wants all customers treated with "dignity and respect."

The issue of available changing table have long been an issue at restaurants and coffee shops. There have been several attempts to petition Starbucks to make changing tables standard at all shops, as well as online tips on which locations have them and which don't. There's even a blog dedicated to restaurants and other eateries that don't have changing tables in men's bathrooms.

9News posted the story on its Facebook page, creating some interesting responses: While some argue that changing tables are cheap and should be installed in all public bathrooms, others say Burgos could have gone into her car or even changed her son on the floor of the bathroom.

One posting read: "That is DISGUSTING. Why couldn't she just leave the Starbucks and change her child in her car?! Or perhaps be more prepared with a changing pad she could put down in the bathroom? Or do ANYTHING other than change her child's DIAPER in a room where people are EATING?! Ugh. People."

Another person posted this: "Businesses should be more accommodating!!! If there's no changing station I have to lay my baby on the floor not cool!!"

What do you think? Was is okay for Burgos to change her son's diaper on the seat? Were the Starbucks employees out of line? "

I think they should have changing areas in all bathrooms, but if they don't, she should have taken him outside or to the car to do it. I am assuming if it had to be changed right then that it was a BM, and that would spoil anyone's appetite.

I think they should have changing areas in all bathrooms...

Ah, but I think restaurants without changing areas are trying to tell people something;) I know it is just Starbucks, but maybe they don't want little children there.

And I agree with you about the car. Or they could just get their coffee to go. Fecal matter, nor urine belongs where people dine. Just gross.

But, you can tell they are people that have no manners. The dad dumped a coffee on purpose:rolleyes2

No, it is not okay. If there are no tables in the restroom, a parent needs to "do whatever is necessary" in the car. I understand needing to change babies but I do not support changing them in a dining room or coffee shop. I don't understand why that parent's wish to avoid the bench in her own vehicle supersedes everyone else's need to to have a clean and bacteria free environment in that restaurant.

I understand that Starbucks could have accommodations for babies, but they do not If I felt that strongly about that, and I do not, I would simply go to Dunkin donuts or any other coffee shop that had what I wanted. I do not think it is ever okay to treat a customer in a rude fashion, and the employee seems to have done that, but I would never support anyone tossing coffee on the floor in retaliation. The response makes me question everything the couple clams.

I think they should have changing tables. I think she should have went to her car though and maybe not have used Starbucks again. Talk with your money not your mouth means more to most businesses. Although not sure about Starbucks trying to give off the "no child" vibe, the one I frequent has a menu space for "kids drinks" LOL so if they don't want kids they probably should remove that.

I can't believe the guy dumped his drink on the floor. Those things are expensive!! :faint:

She should have changed her baby in the car, noone wants to watch a baby get a diaper change where people are consuming food. They should have change tables is all public washrooms!

No, I think parents should take there children in bathrooms or in cars.

However, I disagree with PP that said business that don't have changing tables don't want small children there. I can't tell you how many gas stations or fast food places don't have changing tables.

I think that just about everyone in this story is in the wrong in some way. You should NEVER change a diaper at a table in a restaurant. That is beyond gross and unsanitary. People's stupidity and self entitlement knows no bounds these days. She should have taken him some place more suitable. All though, I have to say that at least she kept her baby on the seat and didn't do it on the table like some other people out there have done! :rotfl2:

The Starbucks employees, while probably frustrated and grossed out by her actions, should not be laughing and making fun of their customers. If you have to do it, save it for the back room.

The father dumping his coffee on the floor? Well, that just shows how low class he is. Not to mention, he just wasted $5 bucks on coffee and threw away. :lmao: Yeah, he is swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.

I do not think businesses should be required to have changing tables. Not providing them is one way they have of subtly discouraging parents from bringing small children to their establishment (which I feel they are well within their rights to do). The exception would be that places that cater specifically to children should provide them.

I also think changing a child in an eating area is totally not appropriate. Plenty of places did not have changing tables when my kids were little. I changed my kids in the trunk of the car, on a pad outside in the most out of the way spot I could find, on a pad on a toilet seat, in their stroller that was as out of the way as I could make it, etc. And once in a while they had to sit in it for 20 minutes or so while I got to a place that was better to change them.

It was MY job as their parent to figure it out and change them in a safe and appropriate place NOT the job of places I went to to provide a place to change the child.

Starbucks may be trying to avoid the messy repercussions of babies in restrooms. As much as we all want to believe that people will take care of their dirty diapers in a thoughtful manner, we all know that there are enough people who would not. Starbucks may not want to have stinky things tossed in their restroom becasue they simply may not have the resources to patrol tha bathrooms after every change.

Although not sure about Starbucks trying to give off the "no child" vibe, the one I frequent has a menu space for "kids drinks" LOL so if they don't want kids they probably should remove that.

:thumbsup2

I do think that a restaurant should have a diaper changing table if they have a kids' menu. It only makes sense. But, if they don't, parents still should not change babies at the table. How gross!

We have two local Starbucks. The one that has a Kids' Drink Menu also has a changing table in the bathroom. The other one does not have a kids' selection on the menu, it also has no changing table.

I like to go to the "kid free" one. The one with the changing table in the restroom usually has tons of strollers inside the small dining area. It also has tons of moms who are talking to each other and ignoring their toddlers. It is quite chaotic.

That is disgusting. It is never ok to change your babies diaper where people eat. That dad acted like a jerk also.

The employees, while probably in their right to be annoyed with the prospect of baby urine or feces on their seats, should have kept quiet. Customers are seldom ACTUALLY right, but you still try to treat them that way.

Meanwhile, the family should have thought more about what they were doing and how it affected everyone around them and changed their child in the car.

The father escalation of dumping his coffee was just really immature.

The employees, while probably in their right to be annoyed with the prospect of baby urine or feces on their seats, should have kept quiet. Customers are seldom ACTUALLY right, but you still try to treat them that way.

I have to disagree with you here.

I am so happy the employees spoke up in this situation. I do not ever want to eat in a spot where fecal matter and urine was tended to. The customer is NOT always right:sad2:

I see 3 mistakes here;
-changing the diaper in the dining/sitting area as apposed to stepping out to their car.
-The Starbucks employee making a snide remark about her cleaning the seat which is poor taste but I believe it was probably made out of the shock of what the mom was doing, and most SB employees I've seen are late teen early twenty something's, not an excuse but I right these comments off as a person acting their age.
-The dad pouring his coffee on the flour and telling them to clean that up. To me this is the biggest deal and shows precisely the lack of character this couple has, I have an infant and understand dirty diapers happen, so do inappropriate comments from others, but I don't have to show a complete lack of any class and pour out a drink on the floor.

Meanwhile, the family should have thought more about what they were doing and how it affected everyone around them and changed their child in the car.

The father escalation of dumping his coffee was just really immature.

I agree that it was out of line for the employees to make snide comments and laugh. HOWEVER, I think they SHOULD have asked the woman not to change her child there. I think there ought to be a policy actually and management should require anyone who does that, and does not respond politely and comply when told not to do so, to leave. THAT would be the proper way to be polite and protective of the MAJORITY of their customers.

WOW that is absolutely not ok! :crazy2:

The first thing that came to my mind when reading this are things other people have said...go to your car or have a changing pad!

Some people...:confused3

Oh my! Agreed so many things wrong with this story.
Honest to goodness I preferred to change my kids in the hatchback of our Jeep I kept a changing pad, wipes and extra diapers in a storage box in the back and when we were out (depending on the place) I would choose to go to the car so that I knew the space was a bit cleaner for my child. That worked totally fine 7 months out of the year but on those freezing cold days it was not such a good option. I do not care what kind of vibe you are trying to portray I think every business should have to have a changing table in the restroom. To ensure *everyone* has a decent place to take care of their bathroom needs! I despise age discrimination so much...... it is still discrimination against another human being plain and simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter