Increase in parking fee

I understand that parking fees are paid by dues.... so all DVC Members (cash or points) in the villas are pre-paid.
But why if a non-DVC Member books a two bedroom villa would they have to pay? Isn’t that ressie paid through (indirectly) dues?

If the non-DVC Member is buying a 2br villa, that is coming out of someone’s inventory that has already paid dues for the parking lot.

I understand that parking fees are paid by dues.... so all DVC Members (cash or points) in the villas are pre-paid.
But why if a non-DVC Member books a two bedroom villa would they have to pay? Isn’t that ressie paid through (indirectly) dues?

If the non-DVC Member is buying a 2br villa, that is coming out of someone’s inventory that has already paid dues for the parking lot.

It is simply a matter of the rental agreement Disney has with the non-DVC guest. As part of the agreement for renting the room, Disney can add on fees for about anything it wants because there is no legal barrier to it doing so as long as it is made part of the agreement to rent and the guest accepts the agreement. It matters not whether any charges made in the rental agreement are actually designed to cover the costs of maintaining and repairing the parking lots or the costs of maintaining anything at all. Your dues do not cover the "parking fee"; they cover the cost of maintaining and repairing the parking lots; an additional parking fee cannot legally be charged to you because members cannot legally be charged fees in addition to the dues they pay to cover the maintenance and repair of the parking lot or other common elements, unless such extra fees are actually set out in the condominium declarations. Regular Disney guests have no such protections from Disney's greed.

Last edited:
It is simply a matter of the rental agreement Disney has with the non-DVC guest. As part of the agreement for renting the room, Disney can add on fees for about anything it wants because there is no legal barrier to it doing so as long as it is made part of the agreement to rent and the guest accepts the agreement. It matters not whether any charges made in the rental agreement are actually designed to cover the costs of maintaining and repairing the parking lots or the costs of maintaining anything at all. Your dues do not cover the "parking fee"; they cover the cost of maintaining and repairing the parking lots; an additional parking fee cannot legally be charged to you because members cannot legally be charged fees in addition to the dues they pay to cover the maintenance and repair of the parking lot or other common elements, unless such extra fees are actually set out in the condominium declarations. Regular Disney guests have no such protections from Disney's greed.

I guess that when I rent out my points I could decide to ask less money per point, but then charge a "reservation management fee", a DDP booking fee, a DME reservation fee.... As long as in the contract and my renter agrees to it, I can ask whatever I want. It wouldn't be different from what Disney does.

I guess that when I rent out my points I could decide to ask less money per point, but then charge a "reservation management fee", a DDP booking fee, a DME reservation fee.... As long as in the contract and my renter agrees to it, I can ask whatever I want. It wouldn't be different from what Disney does.
Except YOU probably won't get any customers for that deal! ;);) :teeth:

Just wait, resort fees will be next. (not for DVC though)
They could make sure the WiFi in the rooms is upgraded (when I was there last month it tested at 6mbps :() And go back to charging for that. The only issue would be in the parks, where you almost have to have WiFi for Fastpass + and Dining. But could have an "upgraded" service for a fee there as well. A lot of higher end hotels have S...L...O...W basic free WiFi, but if you want it to actually be fast, you need to pay an additional fee,

Except YOU probably won't get any customers for that deal! ;);) :teeth:

Well, it depends.
I have recently rented my points for $15pp.
Let's say I have 100 more points to rent (I haven't, so don't write me if you're looking for points :) ) and I publish this post in the rental board: 100 point for rent at $10pp.
Then inside I add that I would charge:
- $100 booking fee
- $100 contract writing and signature fee
- $100 background check
- $150 mandatory customer assistance fee (with MDE, DDP and other questions they might have)

The total is lower that what I got with my previous rental, but I'm sure to get much more views for my rental post. Now it's up to the customer to decide if they want to purchase from me, who I'm using a questionable strategy adventising my points but offer a $50 saving, or from the owner below me who is offering points for $15.
The same with Disney, at which points their nickel and diming strategy will start annoying customers?

Kind of like the hotels and airlines that have cheap nights/fares to pop to the top of searches, but have fees for luggage, internet, food, seat selection, front of the line boarding, resort fee, and so forth. I usually take the time to do the math before booking.

Well, it depends.
I have recently rented my points for $15pp.
Let's say I have 100 more points to rent (I haven't, so don't write me if you're looking for points :) ) and I publish this post in the rental board: 100 point for rent at $10pp.
Then inside I add that I would charge:
- $100 booking fee
- $100 contract writing and signature fee
- $100 background check
- $150 mandatory customer assistance fee (with MDE, DDP and other questions they might have)

The total is lower that what I got with my previous rental, but I'm sure to get much more views for my rental post. Now it's up to the customer to decide if they want to purchase from me, who I'm using a questionable strategy adventising my points but offer a $50 saving, or from the owner below me who is offering points for $15.
The same with Disney, at which points their nickel and diming strategy will start annoying customers?

The difference between what you suggest and what Disney would do (and keeps doing) with fees is that Disney could never stomach lowering that point price from $15 to $10. It would just pile on fees while keeping it at $15 point (or raising that number too).

I always have that same question as you: at what point will Disney's increasing the consumer's cost of going to, staying at and using WDW, reach a breaking point where Disney actually starts to lose customers and revenue. Disney just keeps periodically (or in some case more per year) raising all prices well in excess of the inflation rate, and adding new fees and, despite that, the masses keep coming. To a certain extent it is protected by a mini-monopoly in that the only way to get to use WDW, which occupies land the size of a county, and stay at its hotels is through Disney. But one has to wonder: will enough of the masses eventually revolt at some point and stop using WDW to give Disney no choice but to temper its greed?

The answer to that is apparently no, as we DVC members can readily profess. We keep buying DVC and going to WDW despite that in the last ten years: Disney has increased the price per point by 90% while also significantly increasing the point price per night for each new resort (other than CCV for studios to 2BRs); has continuously oversold the studios via selling points for larger units such as the cabins and bungalows to those buying only enough points to get studios, thus making it more difficult to get studios now even at 11 months out at times, and more and more difficult or impossible at 7 months out; then claims a right to fix the oversell of studios problem it has created by just increasing points per night needed for a studio or 1BR year round despite written representations to purchasers that would prevent that, and responds to complaints with the assertion that it "is not bound" by its representations to purchasers; it has raised the discounted price of a regular AP by 120%, and greatly increased the price of regular park tickets, special events, restaurants, and anything else you can purchase at WDW; and has continuously taken away the rights of club members who are resale purchasers, with the latest actually eliminating those club members' right to reserve newly added DVC Resorts other than their own, and Disney did that change by ignoring terms in the prior public offering documents and related contracts that prohibit what it did, thus declaring to all DVC members that it can do anything of harm it wants to do to you as a DVC member regardless of any agreements it has made.

And despite all of the above, we are still with you Disney, still believe you are a good actor, and are apparently proving that by, among other things, heavily investing in that new Riviera resort.

Last edited:
The difference between what you suggest and what Disney would do (and keeps doing) with fees is that Disney could never stomach lowering that point price from $15 to $10. It would just pile on fees while keeping it at $15 point (or raising that number too).

I always have that same question as you: at what point will Disney's increasing the consumer's cost of going to, staying at and using WDW, reach a breaking point where Disney actually starts to lose customers and revenue. Disney just keeps periodically (or in some case more per year) raising all prices well in excess of the inflation rate, and adding new fees and, despite that, the masses keep coming. To a certain extent it is protected by a mini-monopoly in that the only way to get to use WDW, which occupies land the size of a county, and stay at its hotels is through Disney. But one has to wonder: will enough of the masses eventually revolt at some point and stop using WDW to give Disney no choice but to temper its greed?

The answer to that is apparently no as we DVC members can readily profess. We keep buying DVC and going to WDW despite that in the last ten years: Disney has increased the price per point by 90% while also significantly increasing the point price per night for each new resort (other than CCV for studios to 2BRs); has continuously oversold the studios via selling points for larger units such as the cabins and bungalows to those buying only enough points to get studios, thus making it more difficult to get studios now even at 11 months out at times, and more and more difficult or impossible at 7 months out; then claims a right to fix the oversell of studios problem it has created by just increasing points per night needed for a studio or 1BR year round despite written representations to purchasers that would prevent that, and responds to complaints with the assertion that it "is not bound" by its representations to purchasers; it has raised the discounted price of a regular AP by 120%, and greatly increased the price of regular park tickets, special events, restaurants, and anything else you can purchase at WDW; and has continuously taken away the rights of club members who are resale purchasers, with the latest actually eliminating those club members' right to reserve newly added DVC Resorts other than their own, and Disney did that change by ignoring terms in the prior public offering documents and related contracts that prohibit what it did, thus declaring to all DVC members that it can do anything of harm it wants to do to you as a DVC member regardless of any agreements it has made.

And despite all of the above, we are still with you Disney, still believe you are a good actor, and are apparently proving that by, among other things, heavily investing in that new Riviera resort.
Is CCVs the only resort that owners have a hard time getting a studio at 11 months out? I know there are other categories of studios that are very hard to get, but to just get any studio at 11 months out?

Is CCVs the only resort that owners have a hard time getting a studio at 11 months out? I know there are other categories of studios that are very hard to get, but to just get any studio at 11 months out?

As to all studios at a resort (and not just some categories of studios), VGF is the other one that has the same issue although to a much lesser degree than CCV -- its studios can disappear right at 8 a.m. at 11 months out, or before, sometimes during very high demand times in the fall such as first two weeks of December, NYE, Thanksgiving time, or Wine & Dine race weekend in November.

As to all studios at a resort (and not just some categories of studios), VGF is the other one that has the same issue although to a much lesser degree than CCV -- its studios can disappear right at 8 a.m. at 11 months out, or before, sometimes during very high demand times in the fall such as first two weeks of December, NYE, Thanksgiving time, or Wine & Dine race weekend in November.
Ya, I forgot about VGF. But I understand completely what is going on at CCV and why. I feel bad for many people who buy into there and don't have a clue.

Is this true? I thought it was more parking lot maintenance. I was under the assumption DIS could easily charge DVC members parking as well, should they so desire.

Is this true? I thought it was more parking lot maintenance. I was under the assumption DIS could easily charge DVC members parking as well, should they so desire.
No Disney can't charge DVC members for parking. They pay for that with their dues each year. But if someone who is not a DVC members books a DVC resort with cash then yes Disney can charge for parking. Disney gets to double dip like that.

No Disney can't charge DVC members for parking. They pay for that with their dues each year. But if someone who is not a DVC members books a DVC resort with cash then yes Disney can charge for parking. Disney gets to double dip like that.
Good to know. I thought it was just parking lot maintenance that was covered by the dues.

They are simply charging an additional fee but they are paying their share of dues towards the parking lot maintenance (same as all members), not quite double dipping; as suggested earlier in this thread it would be possible for a DVC member renting their points to do the same. But it does bring up a good point as these additional fees start adding up on the cash side it makes DVC rentals more lucrative so you would think the going rates of DVC rentals should be increasing a bit faster than they do. Especially for peak travel times, when even some Cash room categories at Deluxe resorts go quickly (and far in advance).

See my posts number 40 on the prior page of this thread and 42 above.
So basically Disney can charge the fee to the guest they have booked with them, but they can not do that to renters who are booked with a DVC member, right? That has been my take on this.

So basically Disney can charge the fee to the guest they have booked with them, but they can not do that to renters who are booked with a DVC member, right? That has been my take on this.
Correct because when a guest books through Disney, Disney is the owner of those points and chose to impose the fee to their renters. When a renter books through a DVC members, it is the member's choice on what to charge and since Disney can't charge the fee to the member they can't charge it to the member's guest.

Correct because when a guest books through Disney, Disney is the owner of those points and chose to impose the fee to their renters. When a renter books through a DVC members, it is the member's choice on what to charge and since Disney can't charge the fee to the member they can't charge it to the member's guest.
Right, but don't you know Disney would love to be able to charge the renters. Rental rates should also being going up soon too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter