If crowd calendars are less reliable than they used to be ...

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by mdmama76, Feb 12, 2018.

1. agavegirl1

agavegirl1 DIS Veteran

A combination of MDE wait times and the “Lines” Ap from touring plans with observed data as well as general knowledge
    I responded to your quote yesterday on my phone and realize it didn't go anywhere...I use a combination of the MDE App and the "Lines" App from Touring plans with observed wait times from in the park. General knowledge, such as whether MK has a party night (less crowded in the daytime) or which park had EMH the night before but regular hours that day. If I RD an EMH morning park, many times I make my FP+ reservations in the second park as well as dining reservation and know I will at least accomplish those.

ETA: I guess part of the post did...

mdmama76 and Dumbo777 like this.
  2. hsmamato2

hsmamato2 <font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad

not 100% sure this is true anymore (tho it's what I always based my plans on in the past) AK is now the BIG draw for that day,and they usually add an emh at Ak on Monday now too I've noticed which adds to the crowds

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. mdmama76

mdmama76 Earning My Ears

Thank you. We always RD so I like the suggestion of FP+ reservations for the second park. Lots of puzzle pieces to put together!

5. BayouQueen

BayouQueen Mouseketeer

This idea is jaw dropping, but makes perfect sense. Really food for thought. Thanks, HydroGuy.

HydroGuy and Dumbo777 like this.
  6. momimouse27

momimouse27 Just a Big Kid!

What is the thought around here on MK for a Sunday? We arrive on the 24th of this month and plan for MK on Sunday, EP on Monday. We've been many times before but never this time of year, so I feel almost like a fish out of water....:fish:

7. NH-to-FL

NH-to-FL DIS Veteran

The bolded text mentioned is:

I have no idea... but it makes me feel like I am doing something smart.

Seriously though, based on a few visits, I do think it makes the first few hours of the park a bit less crowded. Though I have absolutely no scientific data to back it up.

8. ELLH

ELLH Mouseketeer

Since I see my post from another thread has been alluded to, I’ll just copy/paste that here rather than reiterate it with different words.

In short, FP+ is all the data Disney needs to properly staff in the manner they see fit. I’m truly surprised people consider my post a revelation but sometimes it takes a little kick to get people thinking. Kind of like my wife reminding me the water valve was shut off and that’s why I couldn’t get the dishwasher to do it’s dang job. (Yep ... I don’t always play with a full deck.)

Anyway... my post below is from this thread:
    https://www.disboards.com/members/ellh.389908/

lambdabeta likes this.
  9. Davey Jones II

Davey Jones II DIS Veteran

It makes sense to me. Since a lot of people went to that park yesterday for EMH, it would follow that less people will go today. But wouldn't the same reasoning apply to morning EMH?

NH-to-FL likes this.
  10. NH-to-FL

NH-to-FL DIS Veteran

Yes, excellent point! I will add that thought to my equation. Though I also will confess that DW and I are doing fewer rope drops these days, shifting more to picking off a couple of last minute FP's to enhance our Disney walks.

But I still like those less crowded first few hours.

11. crazedprincess

crazedprincess DIS Veteran

I usually don't pay attention to crowd calendars and I plan what we want to do. In the past, I did plan a trip around crowd calendars and it ended up being wrong.

We always like to start with MK and this trip that will be on a Wed. As of right now, it also looks like it will be evening EMH. We don't care and my teenage daughters are super excited to be in the park until midnight. I'm just planning on it being crowded no matter what day and where we go.

12. KyleAfterAWhile

KyleAfterAWhile Mouseketeer

Unfortunately, this no longer holds true like it once did.

OneinThree likes this.
  13. Davey Jones II

Davey Jones II DIS Veteran

Please elaborate. These strategies have no validity now, or less validity? And any idea why?

14. SaintsManiac

SaintsManiac DIS Veteran

Booked our flights today, so we'll be able to hit MK on Saturday evening after we arrive. *gasp* :D

15. ENJDisneyFan

ENJDisneyFan DIS Veteran

Why do you say that?

16. OneinThree

OneinThree Mouseketeer

Two different questions. Why I personally would say that is easy -I have regular access to the parks as an AP-holding FL resident and can easily observe what's actually going on in the parks vs the impression given by a number of sources over the internet. Why the "strategies" don't work? That's more difficult to answer. I think a major component to that is what is being "sold" by the purveyors of these strategies vs what people are expecting from them. Everyone has to do something, and I'm not here to knock these sites. At the same time, I think you give people the wrong impression when you say, "crowd level 3" versus "crowd level 9". Not so long ago, "3 versus 9" was a much more significant difference than it is today, where almost every day is just downright crowded. While "3" is only 1/3 of "9", there's just no way that this translates in any practical sense to the reality in the parks right now.

HydroGuy and lambdabeta like this.
  17. Satchmo128

Satchmo128 I could ride Expedition Everest over and over...

We go where we want, when we want, too. Other than avoiding F&WF on the weekend, we plan our days around ADRs we can get or special occasion celebrations we may have. We change plans fairly easily, too, including hopping.