I really mean it this time!

jiminy.cricket

Chasing the magic
EDIT AND OVERHAUL 12/29/15:

It's hard to believe that it's been three and a half years since I took up running. I somehow felt that I might fall off the wagon at some point. I was very excited to have run as much as I did but of course, other priorities (school, life) got in the way. I'm back in school full-time and this upcoming semester should be a little less stressful than previous ones. I'm hoping that it will be the perfect time to pick up where I left off, with a few tweaks. I'm not sure now that I actually want to train my body to endure 26+ miles, but I would at least like to eventually work up to a half-marathon or more in distance running. My focus right now, however, is different. As much as I love cardio, I also want to exercise anaerobically and build a firm body with more physical strength. I'm a bit gym-averse and I like to work out at my own pace. I also want to maintain a healthier diet this year and sleep well.

My biggest issues have been deciding on a routine instead of being overwhelmed by the wealth of options available online. I want to find something that works for my schedule and is simple enough to follow and sustain. I finally feel ready. Fortunately, for Christmas, I was able to get my sister to compose such a plan. She's really into fitness and wellness, and it was easy to have a conversation with her about some of my quirky preferences. I'm planning on cooking in batches, consuming lots of nutrients, building my frame, and tightening my core safely while still fulfilling my love of cardio (maybe starting the C25K over; it was so fun).

This will serve as my workout journal; I'm want to try to maintain it at least once a week, maybe more often as time allows. This post can be considered a "pre-journey" report of sorts. Thank you to everyone who's been following the thread and offering encouragement!

My friend and I will still be keeping in touch, and I've contacted a few other friends to get involved this time too. They've been working on their own resolutions. I just turned 30 and hoping there's still time to look and feel fabulous in 2016! And just maybe, by this time next year, I'll finally be able (after 7 years) to draw the other pupil on my Epcot Daruma doll to mark the completion of my goal. Fall seven times; stand up eight! :smickey: pluto:

My friend and I are holding each other accountable long-distance. We are starting with the Couch-to-5K program and my goal is to eventually work up to run the Walt Disney World Marathon! Then I can finally complete the other pupil of my Daruma doll from the Japan pavilion at Epcot (Anyone know what I'm talking about?). I've tried this before and fallen off the wagon, but I am determined to follow through this time! Week 1 begins tomorrow. Hopefully posting this online will hold us accountable too.

Here we go! :yay:

Last edited:
My friend and I are starting back tomorrow too and we are going to be walking, running everyday and doing an excersise class twice a week. School starts tomorrow so it's a good day to start for us.

I need to lose about 30 pounds, but I am taking it five pounds at a time until I reach my goal. I am going to reward myself with something Disney.:rotfl2:

I wish you and your friend good luck. I did this with a friend long distance once and it worked, so it can be done. :thumbsup2

Thank you both for the encouragement! She is in Texas; I'm in the Midwest but will see her in a few weeks. Best of luck with your challenge! It sounds like you're doing a lot and the pounds will soon follow naturally. Week one seems doable. I need to get past week three. My night classes start tomorrow as well! I'm hoping this works!

Reward yourself with a Disney Run! :-)

Last night was a success! I got out of work late and the sun had set, but the weather was perfect; the scent of leaves was in the air and the climate reminded me of fall at Downtown Disney. *Sigh*. I brought a flashlight glowstick my dad had given me. It's a flashlight and a blue glowstick. Nostalgia ensued. Craving Disney now.

I began with a brisk walk around the block for 5 minutes, then broke into a jog, alternating 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of brisk
walking, not allowing my heart rate to drop to resting pace. This continued for 20 minutes, followed by a 5-minute brisk walk / cool-down, then 5 minutes of stretching. My friend across the country followed the same program, but tends to push herself more and therefore jogged for 30 minutes. We were not allowed to call each other until we had finished the day's program.

In summary, it was a nice jog on a beautiful night. I should do this more often. Day 2 of Week 1 is tomorrow, and I may be dragging a
co-worker with me. Woot!

The past couple of weeks have been a bit crazy, so I haven't had a
chance to post updates for a bit. Am I glad to have a long-distance
accountability buddy, because I ALMOST fell off the wagon during Week
2!

Week 1:

Called for 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking in
between for 20 minutes.

Week 2:

I took it easy and Week 2 I could feel myself pushing a bit. It was a hair more intense, with 60 seconds of brisk walking and 90 seconds of jogging. I could feel myself working a little bit harder. It was tempting to rest and let my heart rate drop significantly during my walking segments, but I tried to keep a brisk pace. It was also warmer last week. I was chatting with my friend around 9 P.M last Wednesday evening. The plan calls for three runs
per week with rest days. Wednesday was the day scheduled for my
second run of the week. As I was flying out the next day to actually
meet her, I knew I would not have time to run again during the week.
She stated, "What are you doing? You have to get out there and run!"
So, that's the story of how I stayed on the wagon.

I flew out to see her that weekend, so we went on a run together that
Friday to complete the last leg of Week 2. In the middle of the day.
In Texas. Ouch. It's a wonder I did not pass out in 100+-degree
weather and humidity. I needed to collect myself on the
air-conditioned floor for a long time afterward. Miraculously, I was
able to get up and continue with the day.

Week 3:

I flew back home on Monday with her book in hand (Born to
Run--riveting and inspiring), as well as the book I had ordered
online, Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham. Very curious
paradigms; I wonder about the right way to run, and about my limits.
I had considered trying to train for a triathlon, but that would have
involved a bicycle purchase, swimming lessons, and triathlon training
lessons. Running seems cheaper, for now--it sounds like it is full of
injuries and expensive shoes, however.

Monday night, I bounced on the pavement again with the first leg of
Week 3, which seemed shorter than the previous weeks. With stretching
and warming up and cooling down, those sessions seemed to last 40-45
minutes, which is not that long. This week's plan, involving
alternating 90 seconds of walking and jogging with 3 minutes of
walking and jogging, made me a little nervous, but was actually doable
and completed in 20-30 minutes. We'll see if I complete the second
leg of this week's program tonight!

Yes! I let myself slip yesterday but I caught up again today by completing the second leg of Week 3. I have never gotten past Week 3 before. Part of me is excited because even though I was very, very tired and just wanted to veg and sleep, I knew that this run was shorter than the previous ones. It's just a two-time repetition of walking and running for 90 seconds and 180 seconds. With stretching and warm up and cool-down, I totaled 30 minutes and was ready for dinner at a reasonable hour. I've got to keep my friend on the wagon!

I'm not sure why I'm still up. I'm going to be tired again tomorrow.

Week Three is complete! I've never gotten past this week; I've repeated it before. I wonder if I'll be ready for next week: Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then: Jog 3 minutes, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 5 minutes, Walk 2.5 minutes, Jog 3 minutes, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 5 minutes. I'll try it out and see how it goes. If it's too much, I'll repeat Week Three. I don't really feel stronger or that my lung capacity is increasing. I'll guess I'll just keep running!

Somewhere about week 3 I lost it too. It got really hard for some reason, but I refused to let it beat me. I pushed past it and it does get easier, I promise. Eventually your mind and body line up properly. I am just shy of the 20 minutes run and I WILL complete it on time! :woohoo:

Yes, you will! I can't believe I got past Week 3! I'm almost finished with Week 7 now! It's getting dark early but the weather's still above frigid so I'm taking a flashlight with me. It does feel a bit strange. I'm running 25 minutes consecutively now, and my knee occasionally aches a bit, but I'm giving myself plenty of rest between runs and I'm a bit slow. I'm "supposed" to be completing 2.5 miles in 25 minutes but I'm completing 2 miles in 25 minutes. This is still working for me, though. Time will improve with...time... In the meantime, I'm looking for programs to follow after C25K! Never thought I'd make it to that point! I found a 10K program that I intend to start, and then a Half-Marathon program after that, by Jeff Galloway. I'm excited! I just may be ready for a half-marathon by next May! That's still quite a ways away, though.

congratulations! just stick with your programs and you'll hit your goals! I wish I would have known about C25K when I started running. It would have saved me so much aggravation, but it worked out in the end. Excellent work!

Thank you much! Hopefully, I can stay on track. Starting the 10K program this week and not looking forward to running today as temperatures are dropping. It sounds like everything worked out for you. There are many paths. I wonder how I'll maintain this through the winter. 

Thank you much! Hopefully, I can stay on track. Starting the 10K program this week and not looking forward to running today as temperatures are dropping. It sounds like everything worked out for you. There are many paths. I wonder how I'll maintain this through the winter. 

Obviously it gets alot colder where you live than me, but I honestly tend to run better when the temps get at near freezing or below. Maybe it's because I'm so thankful it's not 100 degrees and 100% humidity like my usual summer runs, but to each his own.

Well, so far I'm wearing multiple layers and it seems to be working; not sure if I can maintain this over the next 2-3 months. So far, so good, though! C25K is complete and I just completed Week 3 of Jeff Galloway's 10K training program. My friend and I don't exactly run on schedule anymore; we run more on our own and keep each other updated.

WOW Congrats on finishing C25K! I'm currently on W4D2 and I don't think I'll ever get there! LOL But one step at a time I guess! Did you do Bridge to 10K or are you doing some other program?

WOW Congrats on finishing C25K! I'm currently on W4D2 and I don't think I'll ever get there! LOL But one step at a time I guess! Did you do Bridge to 10K or are you doing some other program?

Thank you! I'm so relieved I was able to follow through. I didn't know about a Bridge to 10K, but I sort of jumped in on Week 4 or 5 of Jeff Galloway's 10K training program. Now I'm on Week 2 of Jeff Galloway's Half-Marathon training program four months in! Not too shabby! A marathon may actually be feasible! It seems so far and out of reach when you're first starting, but once you get in the groove, you'll stay on schedule. Onward and upward! Which program are you working on right now? What is W4D2?

I've encountered a few foot issues over the past few weeks. I wonder if my current shoes are too tight or too loose. I have flat feet and most of the friction seems to arise between the tips of my toes and the shoe. A few of my toenails have recently taken a few hits after I went on a sort-of power spree on a treadmill; I was trying to avoid that. It doesn't happen so much when I run outdoors, which I'm thankfully still able to do. I wonder how I'll train in January and February.

One person suggested taping my foot to the shoe sole or donning thinner socks. These are interesting ideas I might try. I need to push myself to run 7 miles before the end of the week; I'm a bit skeptical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!