I need a favor for a Friend in New Zealand .....

DisneyKevin

Kelvis
Super Moderator
Hey guys,

Kevin posted this on the DIS Unplugged board, and I wanted to copy the thread over here. I know how supportive you are, especially to our friends in Australia and New Zealand, and this DISer sure could use some positive support.

Mary Jo

Hi Folks,

I dont normally do things like this....but I have a favor to ask.

One of listeners is having a serious health crisis and I'm asking that we show some support.

I "met" Toni (who's from New Zealand) when she decided to book one of the DIS Backstage Magic Adventures.

I deal with many folks who are excited to visit Walt's original park, but Toni seemed even more excited than most.

Since that time, Toni's health has declined and I am asking that you all drop Toni an email letting her see the support the DIS Unplugged board can rally.

I am going to post the letter from Toni's sister. Included in the letter is Toni's email address.

I'd appreciate it if you let Toni know that we are behind her.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hello to you all
Toni has asked me to write to you to say hello, send you a photo of the little memory board I made for her using the pins from our trip in June and to tell you why she has not been on facebook or the boards much (or at all?) over the past 6 weeks or so.
She has been in hospital for all of that time battling a couple of things. The first issue is the return of an earlier problem that kept her in hospital for 6 months at the end of 2011/beginning of 2012. I wont go into the details as it would be way too much information for you all and she would kill me!! She has to have major surgery to fix the problem and the date for that has been set for 8th October (the day after her birthday).
When they admitted her they decided that she had some sort of infection around her kidney. She has not been able to lie down (to sleep) and has been suffering from intense pain in her side for over a year now. They spent a couple of weeks pumping her full of antibiotics and because the antibiotics werent working they decided to take a sample of the infection but when they tried to do that there was nothing there. So, they took a biopsy instead.
On Friday 13th they told Toni that she has inoperable kidney cancer. On Wednesday last week the Oncologists told her that it has grown through her chest wall and that they are only able to offer palliative care. They have decided that they should still operate on the other problem so that she has some quality of life but pain management after the operation is going to be an issue unless they can do something before-hand to try and relieve the pain from the cancer. So they are going to give her one radiation treatment this week to try to stop that pain. This means that they will not be able to give her any further radiation treatment after the operation.
My poor little sister; for the first time in my entire life I heard her say that it wasnt fair. My entire family are all a bit stunned to be honest. I guess we all thought she was as tough as old boots and would outlive the rest of us. She has always come through everything that has been thrown at her. We have no idea whether she will be here for weeks or months and no one is able to tell us much at the moment.
Toni loves the disboards, the people she has got to know through it and when we met you all on the Backstage Magic Tour she felt quite a connection (me too!!). That is why she asked me to tell some of you about where she is at.
It was Tonis trip of a lifetime and for me it has turned out to be a gift that I got to spend magical time with her, if you know what I mean. Now, all of this sound very depressing doesnt it? BUT she isnt dead yet so if you have a minute sometime maybe you could say hello to her via email (tonimallia@xtra.co.nz) or facebook. I am pretty sure that she does still follow everyone (is that the right facebook language??!!...) because she keeps me up to date with some of the things that have been going on, she just hasnt been sending things out lately.
The picture board is hanging on the wall of her room in the hospital and it is a conversation point for anyone that comes in. One of her doctors has started looking into the same trip based on the great time that we had.
Better go as I am supposed to be doing some work.

Take care of yourselves and each other.
Christine

Kevin thank you for this post.
It reminds me why I was first drawn to the DIS and the wonderful Disney community we have here.
When I reflect on things that are extremely unimportant to the challenges faced by others I have to remind myself why I let small things/people distract me so.

Thank you for bringing me back to humanity and I am sure I will be but a small cog in a great big DIS response to Toni.

Christine thank you for sharing and I will keep Toni and you all in my thoughts and sending magic pixie dust from Scotland :grouphug:

This is a really nice thing Kevin. I sent her and email. Does she live in New Zealand now? I only ask because of the address.

Mel

I emailed her too Kevin. :thumbsup2

We are with her as we are with all those here who go through difficult times.

Email sent. Thanks for letting us know Kevin. You have a good soul.

Toni is from New Zealand. Me and my daughter were on the ABD BSM trip with her and her sister in June. Wonderful person and I know she will appreciate the love from all the Disers.

this is a wonderful thing. Email sent. Please keep us informed.

We were on the ABD trip in June with Toni and Christie, we had made friends with them during the pre-trip chats and felt very close to them on the trip.

Kevin got it pretty spot on - this was the trip of a lifetime for Toni, and I know she had an amazing time on the trip. (They stayed another week after the rest of us left, with Toni running poor Christie ragged.) They were both a lot of fun to spend time with and it was great to meet them (and many, many other folks) on the ABD trip. We feel like they are more than "internet" friends now, but real-life friends, even if we live half-way across the world from eachother.

My wife and I were very sad to hear the news from Christie about Toni's health problems, but I know all your prayers and thoughts will mean a lot to her and I wanted to thank you myself for those that took the time to write.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter