• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be an SPG fanatic..... and I have to say I honestly have given up trying to follow or understand all of what's happening currently...... I would like to wish that I could pick it up again in the future, but I fear that this is like one of those awesome churn deals of the past..... it was once ,easy,lucrative,and GREAT. Now the game has changed,and time for me to move on to figuring out something else. That said, I still have both cards for another few months...I'm going to wait to see what happens,but I don't think paying an AF is in my best interests anymore.

I used to be an SPG fanatic..... and I have to say I honestly have given up trying to follow or understand all of what's happening currently...... I would like to wish that I could pick it up again in the future, but I fear that this is like one of those awesome churn deals of the past..... it was once ,easy,lucrative,and GREAT. Now the game has changed,and time for me to move on to figuring out something else. That said, I still have both cards for another few months...I'm going to wait to see what happens,but I don't think paying an AF is in my best interests anymore.

But after 8/1, the two cards will come with anniversary free night certificates for properties up to 35k. That may no longer be workable for Swolphin, but almost all the Starriott properties around Disneyland Resort will be 35k.

But after 8/1, the two cards will come with anniversary free night certificates for properties up to 35k. That may no longer be workable for Swolphin, but almost all the Starriott properties around Disneyland Resort will be 35k.

Yeah, I gotta say, I'm really not a fan of category-restricted free nights because it can take quite a bit of planning and mental gymnastics to make them work, depending on where you want to go (and pour another one out for losing the IHG unrestricted free night, I loved that so much).

But aside from S&D, I'm pleasantly surprised by some of the changes on the new Marriott award chart. We frequently travel to NYC for weekend trips, and some fairly nice properties will be 35k - like, for example, the Courtyard and Residence Inn Central Park. Those are both really nice hotels in a great area and will be well worth the annual fee. Same with the Courtyard and Residence Inn Midtown East, also dropping to 35k. Those are the kinds of things you have to look for though with these restricted free nights.

Weird Question, but would you stay at Swolphin over Pop? Me and the GF are planning to go in September, and have booked Pop with "magical" rates. My mother works for SPG and I have access to her benefits. I can get a room at the Swan for about $100 more (for the entire stay), but we are trying to go as cheap as possible as this a budget trip.

Is it that much of a difference?

I know we wouldn't have access to Magical Express at Swan, so we would have to Uber it to the resort (which is more $$)but we don't mind spending a bit more if it's that much better than a moderate hotel.
I would do one night at Disney property and the rest at the swan or dolphin. Location is worth it Bc you can walk to epcot (f&w festival) and hs (new toy story land) staying first night at Disney would give you me and the magic bands. Also you could do your last night to get me back.

I booked a Disney trip with just using the UR portal but not with booking with Disney and transferring. I know some our doing it now (talking to you @DisneyMandC)I want to do that for October. My issue is that I want to book two connecting rooms under one reservation but also get best deal possible. Right now they have the fall discount rates open for our dates. Should I book it all now and then call Chase Cruise and Tours? OR should I wait until AP rates come out and do it then? Is it a huge hassle to get the cheaper rate/points refunded? Or is it better to call Chase directly and have them book it? I could do that but am a little hesitant to give up the control of it right off. Thanks...
I’ve booked through ur only and they have been able to refund the difference when I’ve changed. Also we have three reservations for our trip and they were able to have Disney note it on the reservations.

What is the best way to book the Disney rooms and then use UR's? I know I am totally overthinking this but bear with me. Should I book now on Disney site and then call Chase Cruise and Tours right away? Should I book now and call Chase before 30 days so to transfer the reservation? (Wait just in case AP rate comes out and I can modify it that way). Should I just call Chase and have them book it while I am on the phone with them? Any thoughts? I have plenty of UR's right now to cover so not worried about that.
If you have the ur book it now. If a rate comes out lower they can refund your ur. Took 21 days for them to be in my account but I’ve seen others get there’s back sooner. Guess it depends on how fast disney sends if back to them.

Is there a place with a quick and easy summary of which card we should use for which kind of expense? In terms of benefits/points? Or any other factor.

I see that CSR has the PP lounges, but with our AMEX we already have access, plus the Centurion lounges. And our upcoming flights are all in BC, so hopefully the international lounges will kick in for this trip. Anything else I should take advantage of? I can put a few hotel nights on one of these, but my other hotel was booked through FHR so I have to use the AMEX to pay for that one.

Try the Wallaby app. Input the credit cards you have, and Wallaby can help remind you which of your cards to use at different merchants to maximize their rewards.

I personally don't use Wallaby, but have heard good things. I try to be very familiar with all of my cards' specific bonus categories so I know which to use where and when; and I'll even be very strategic with what cards to apply for to fill in category gaps where I'm not earning bonus spend. I'm a big believer in diversifying your wallet so you have a card that earns you some kind of bonus on every one of your expenses and anything that may come up.

I posted my breakdown of what cards I use, where and when, a few weeks ago (and updated for the upcoming quarter), which may be helpful as you’re plotting out which cards to get:
  • I charge all dining and travel to my CSR and earn 3x UR.
  • If I have to pay for flights, it’s a tossup between the CSR 3x UR and the Amex Platinum 5x MR. Charging travel to the CSR over the Platinum gives you much better travel insurance, and you get full coverage with the CSR even if you pay only part of your travel costs with the card. Here’s a comparison.
  • I may charge hotel stays to that hotel's co-branded credit card for a better bonus.
  • I pay rent, utilities, student loans, daughter's tuition through Plastiq using my CIP for 3x UR. (The CIP is the only card that earns more rewards back than the service’s 2.5% fee.)
  • I have our cell phone bills set to autopay on the CIP for 3x UR and phone insurance. (I value the CIP’s 3x UR and phone insurance > CIC’s 5x UR.)
  • Our internet is set to autopay on the CIC for 5x UR.
  • I have our Netflix and Playstation Vue subscriptions charged to gift card credit, which I buy when iTunes and Playstation Store gift cards are on sale and pay with whichever card gives me the best return at the merchant selling them (for example, see below re gift cards).
  • Shopping on Amazon all comes out of Amazon gift cards purchased from office supply stores using CIC for 5x UR (or grocery stores in Q2 because that was included in Chase Freedom’s 5x UR bonus category, or Walgreens in Q3 because that’s one of Freedom’s upcoming 5x UR bonus categories).
  • I'll add that you can use your Amazon gift card balance to buy third-party gift cards, so I often will get Amazon gift cards purchased at 5x UR, then use them to buy Safeway and Whole Foods gift cards to pass on that 5x UR bonus to groceries. If I don't have gift cards for groceries, I'll charge it to my Amex PRG for 2x MR on groceries or SPG card for 1x Starpoint per $1 (until 8/1 when base earn devalues).
  • I'll use the Gyft app to buy gift cards to merchants where I shop, like Target, or dine because it earns 5x UR through PayPal checkout on the CIC (or 3x UR on the CIP), whereas paying the merchant directly with a credit card may not earn any bonus or a lower bonus multiplier.
  • If there's a merchant not on Gyft or the points and miles I'd earn are better on MileagePlus X (“MPX,” another gift card app), I'll use the appropriate card (because of pass through coding on Visas) to purchase the gift card I need on MPX instead to earn some combination of United miles, UR, MR, or SPG points. I also have a United MileagePlus card attached to my MPX account, which I don’t charge to, but earns me an extra 25% bonus United miles on every transaction.
  • I often buy Visa gift cards using an Amex on which I'm working towards MSR or an Amex SPG to “shift” spend to use at other merchants later, like at Costco (because they only accept Visa).
  • Many Amex business cards were targeted with Amex Offers for 10% statement credit (up to $100 back) at Staples and Lowe’s, which sell third-party gift cards and Visa gift cards, which I’ll be using on my SPG Biz before 8/1 while the SPG Biz still earns 1x Starpoint per $1.
  • For gas, I'll buy Chevron, Shell, and Exxon gift cards wherever I can earn 5x UR (like grocery stores this quarter or Walgreens next quarter with Freedom) or at a discount (like at Staples or Lowe’s with the Amex Offers); and this quarter, I've bought a few gas gift cards from SVM on eBay because they were discounted and I'd earn 5x UR on them by paying with a Chase Freedom through PayPal because PayPal was a Q2 bonus category. If I don't have gift cards for gas, I've been using my Chase Freedom this quarter through the Chase Pay app at Shell for 5x UR, another Q2 bonus category; or the CIC anywhere else for 2x UR. Many Amex business cards were also targeted with Amex Offers for 10% statement credit (up to $100 back) at Exxon, but I’ll wait to use this offer on my SPG Biz because the SPG benefits change to earn 4x Marriott points per $1 after 8/1 (vs. the effective 3x Marriott points that is 1 Starpoint currently).
  • If I have to Venmo someone, I'll use CIP because it earns 3x UR and negates the 3% fee.
  • I have my eBay seller fees set to autopay on the CIP, which earns me 3x UR back on fees from a side hustle that I use a lot to apply for biz cards.
  • I also have the CIP set in PayPal to pay for eBay shipping, which earns another 3x UR back. USPS/UPS/FedEx, Stamps .com, and USPS P.O. Boxes also earn 3x UR on the CIP.
  • I'll use a particular Amex card if it has a useful Amex Offer on it for the merchant where I'm going to be spending money.
  • I'll see how I can best use whatever is/are included in Chase Freedom's 5x UR bonus categories.
  • If after all that, the thing I have to spend money on won't earn some kind of bonus, I'll throw the charge on a new card for which I'm working towards MSR, or an Amex SPG card until base earn is devalued on 8/1/18.
  • After 8/1, I'll probably get an Amex BBP card for 2x MR on every purchase. I also plan to have my wife sign up for the CIU (Chase Ink Unlimited) for 1.5x UR on every purchase.
  • Occasionally, to meet high MSRs on new cards, I’ll have to divert some of this optimized spend to the new card that might not have a (or have an inferior) bonus for that category of spent, or may not have a good base earning rate. But the outsized value of a signup bonus usually dwarfs the loss opportunity cost of diverting that spend.
So you’ve seen me mention the CSR, CIP (Chase Ink Preferred), CIC (Chase Ink Cash), Chase Freedom, and various Amex cards. These Chase cards earn us greater than 1x UR bonuses on almost every cent of spend. Our Amex cards are great for Amex Offers, and they have strong hotel co-brand relationships and card offerings. My Amex Platinum card is mostly a “perks” card at this point; I’ll put flights on it for 5x MR if I think I won’t need the trip insurance, and it gets decent Amex Offers, but it otherwise earns a terrible 1x MR pretty much everywhere.

Since you’re at 0/24 and your husband is at 2/24 (after the CSR+CSP double dip), you both have a lot of runway to get Chase’s cards, but being open to applying for business cards really helps to fill your wallet with very useful cards like the CIP (for 3x UR on Plastiq for bills that don’t otherwise take credit cards, like your DD’s tuition), CIC (5x UR at office supply stores – think gift cards, Gyft, and cable/internet/phone bills), and the CIU (a good “everything else” card that earns 1.5x UR); and stretches out how many Chase cards you can get with those 5 slots, because although you have to be under 5/24 to be approved for Chase’s Ink cards, they don’t add to your */24 count and leave slots open for more cards. Besides, the Chase Ink cards have some of the richest signup bonuses that Chase offers.

Look at where your spend is and find a card that earns you a bonus for that category of spend. Formulate a roadmap to adding that card to your wallet. It took me about a year to fill out my wallet to this point, and there are still a few cards I still want to get. Don’t hit Chase too hard, too fast; you’ll want to space out your applications to avoid the risk of Chase shutting you down. Alternate your husband’s applications with your own to slow each of you down as you meet MSRs on new cards. Use referrals when possible to pick up extra bonuses.

And I told him he couldn't get the Hyatt one. We have Hyatt points, which is what caught his attention. We always have "almost enough" to book what we want, of course.

Good news for you, because UR points transfer 1:1 to Hyatt. So, you can transfer just what you need (I believe in 1k increments) so you have "enough" to book what you want. A lot of people find UR has great redemption value when transferring to Hyatt.

As for college and CCs, I wish we could use one for my DD's tuition. It would fund tons of travel if we could. Oh well, c'est la vie. At least I get AMEX points for all those flights I keep buying for her.

Does your DD’s college accept credit cards? Most do, but with a fee. If not, look into using Plastiq, which is a bill pay service that lets you use your credit card to pay bills that might not otherwise accept credit cards (or carries a higher fee) for a fee of 2.5%. As I mentioned above, I use this service for my DD’s tuition, charge it to my CIP, and Plastiq sends DD’s school a check in the mail. We have a guide to Plastiq on DISchurners.

As for flights, are you charging flights to the Amex Platinum? I assume that’s earning you 5x MR. However, like I pointed out above, a lot of people actually prefer to pay for their flights with the CSR for 3x UR instead because the CSR carries significantly better travel insurance. It’s worth looking into now that you have a CSR.

Last edited:
My dd is gone a lot of this weekend but putting this on the list of things to do on Monday. Will check reddit before she applies!

Discover has two flavors of IT cards, the regular one with rotating categories and a Chrome one which gives 2% on gas and restaurants and 1% everywhere else. ($1000 max per quarter for gas and restaurants. in my normal life I've not ever come close to that, but i'd be remiss if I didn't point it out)

Discover also has Student versions of both cards that are exactly the same except it offers a Good Grade Reward. They have a separate application for the Student discover but the terms also state applicants "who indicate on their application that they are currently enrolled in college" are eligible for the Good Grade Rewards. So kinda sounds like you could apply through the regular link and as long as you pick "college student" you're eligible. The nice thing is it's still a Cashback Bonus, so if she can claim it before 9/1 it'll get doubled. After 9/1 they're switching it to a statement credit :(

Here's the new terms for that rewards: "Students with a Discover it® or Discover it® Chrome card who have a GPA of 3.0 or higher (or equivalent) during a School Year (September - August) may apply at Discover.com for a $20 Cashback Bonus ("Good Grade Reward"). Starting 9/1/2018, this promotion will be a $20 statement credit to your account and no longer Cashback Bonus." It's good for 5 consecutive years from application.

I know she's just starting college, but they didn't state it had to be a college GPA even though I guess it's implied. YMMV time?

I'm trying to make sense out of the marriott/SPG situation and figure out what to do and am hoping for some guidance please, pretty please!
I was reading about the Cat 5 Nights+Flights package DP's from reddit (thanks @Lain) that makes me wonder if I should try to book one before 8/1 (I understand it's YMMV, and really this whole potential plan might be farfetched, but I'd like to see if it's even possible.

I currently have 33k SPG points = 99k Marriott (SPG transfers to Marriott instantly, correct?)
Also was just approved for Marriott biz, so will have 78k (75k+3k) after meeting MSR
Total after MSR will be 177k Marriott

Cat 1-5 Nights/Flights for 5 nights costs 235k Marriott
235-177 = 58k adt'l marriott needed, 58/3 = 19k SPG points
19k SPG points on sale costs approx. $445 to purchase.

5 night cert would get me 120k RR + 5 consecutive nights at up to cat 5 property

If I was able to accomplish all of this before Aug 1, and used the cert to book actual nights at the Swan/Dolphin, I would be coming out so far ahead of what I can do post 8/1 with the change of the S/D to cat 6 it almost doesn't seem right. Am I missing something?

Other options I've thought about are just using my current SPG points (purchasing 3k to get to 36k) to book 3 nights at S/D, and just worrying about the Marriott 78k later. But looking at the reward chart, if I converted to SW RR, that would only be 25k RR. If I used those points at the S/D, that would only be 1 night. :scared1:

It seems like the hassle to try to accomplish all of this is very worth it but am I missing something?!? Thanks so much for any help! :goodvibes

To accomplish this, I know I would need to meet the MSR by 1 week prior to stmt close date for my new Marriott biz, then have the points post to my Marriott account. I'd also need to transfer my SPG points to Marriott. Lastly, I'd need to get the right rep to actually book the 5n cert since technically it's only supposed to be for timeshare owners, correct? Anything else I'm missing that might trip me up?

Sorry for the long post, I've been researching/calculating since late last night. Also thanks for @wendow for posting her similar situation and @Lain for posting the DP's from Reddit.

Thank you! So happy to finally get my own DANCE PARTY!!!

party:
DH is out right now, but I told him he has to call immediately after he gets home to expedite this bad boy! We have the garage door people coming next Friday to fix my opener. I’m hoping to have it by then, but with the holiday in the middle of the week I’m not so sure. As long as we have it for the HVAC I’m a happy camper!

Last edited:
I'm trying to make sense out of the marriott/SPG situation and figure out what to do and am hoping for some guidance please, pretty please!
I was reading about the Cat 5 Nights+Flights package DP's from reddit (thanks @Lain) that makes me wonder if I should try to book one before 8/1 (I understand it's YMMV, and really this whole potential plan might be farfetched, but I'd like to see if it's even possible.

I currently have 33k SPG points = 99k Marriott (SPG transfers to Marriott instantly, correct?)
Also was just approved for Marriott biz, so will have 78k (75k+3k) after meeting MSR
Total after MSR will be 177k Marriott

Cat 1-5 Nights/Flights for 5 nights costs 235k Marriott
235-177 = 58k adt'l marriott needed, 58/3 = 19k SPG points
19k SPG points on sale costs approx. $445 to purchase.

5 night cert would get me 120k RR + 5 consecutive nights at up to cat 5 property

If I was able to accomplish all of this before Aug 1, and used the cert to book actual nights at the Swan/Dolphin, I would be coming out so far ahead of what I can do post 8/1 with the change of the S/D to cat 6 it almost doesn't seem right. Am I missing something?

Other options I've thought about are just using my current SPG points (purchasing 3k to get to 36k) to book 3 nights at S/D, and just worrying about the Marriott 78k later. But looking at the reward chart, if I converted to SW RR, that would only be 25k RR. If I used those points at the S/D, that would only be 1 night. :scared1:

It seems like the hassle to try to accomplish all of this is very worth it but am I missing something?!? Thanks so much for any help! :goodvibes

To accomplish this, I know I would need to meet the MSR by 1 week prior to stmt close date for my new Marriott biz, then have the points post to my Marriott account. I'd also need to transfer my SPG points to Marriott. Lastly, I'd need to get the right rep to actually book the 5n cert since technically it's only supposed to be for timeshare owners, correct? Anything else I'm missing that might trip me up?

Sorry for the long post, I've been researching/calculating since late last night. Also thanks for @wendow for posting her similar situation and @Lain for posting the DP's from Reddit.

Lot's of math, not totally my strong suit on the fly, but I just wanted to point out your price for Swolphin is currently 12k SPG. That will equate to 36k Starriott points (points post merge). So if you book now you'd get 3 nights for your 36k SPG points.
ETA: Those same 36k SPG post merge would be 108k and would get you 2 nights (50k per night) Sorry, totally left part of the thought out.

Likewise, if you are looking at a Marriott n/f I don't believe you can use that to book Swolphin until after Aug 1 because the points systems are still separate until then. You'd have to look into a SPG package for pre 8/1 bookings. I'm not familiar with those, we were Marriott folks so I'm still learning the ins and outs of the current SPG program. :)

Last edited:

I don’t have any advice as to whether or not to book a Marriott travel package, but I would say that if you want to do a 5 nights package to do it ASAP. Whenever something hits Reddit like this, it’s only a matter of time before TPTB catches on and it gets shut down.

Last edited:
Oh, got it, your travel dates aren't set and that makes it harder to plan. Hmm.

Yes, I'd assume you have to cancel and re-book...but the question then would be what would you be getting back??? You would've "spent" 96K SPG points (2 rooms x 5 nights), but the skeptical side of me is going to bet money that Marriott IT will not be able to find record of that in their system. Maybe you would get the full new value back in Marriott points? 2 x 4 (bc 5th night free) x 50K = 400K Marriott points? That would be terrific! If Marriott IT can keep track, then maybe all you get back is the straight 1:3 conversion 3 x 96K = 288K Marriott points. I'm gonna go ask on FT.

The IT side of things makes me wonder how it will work with upgrading the outstanding packages, if doing so after 8/1 as well. It is 30k to upgrade to a new level today, but much more post 8/1.

So if on 8/15 if I want to upgrade a cat 1-5 package to a (current)cat 8 (new cat 6?) is it 90k like today or some other random number since the old packages don't map to new cleanly? It seems like the easiest thing for them as far as figuring this out is to turn the outstanding certs to points but seems like I have read some people feel that is less likely now. SO. MANY. QUESTIONS.

Discover has two flavors of IT cards, the regular one with rotating categories and a Chrome one which gives 2% on gas and restaurants and 1% everywhere else. ($1000 max per quarter for gas and restaurants. in my normal life I've not ever come close to that, but i'd be remiss if I didn't point it out)

Discover also has Student versions of both cards that are exactly the same except it offers a Good Grade Reward. They have a separate application for the Student discover but the terms also state applicants "who indicate on their application that they are currently enrolled in college" are eligible for the Good Grade Rewards. So kinda sounds like you could apply through the regular link and as long as you pick "college student" you're eligible. The nice thing is it's still a Cashback Bonus, so if she can claim it before 9/1 it'll get doubled. After 9/1 they're switching it to a statement credit :(

Here's the new terms for that rewards: "Students with a Discover it® or Discover it® Chrome card who have a GPA of 3.0 or higher (or equivalent) during a School Year (September - August) may apply at Discover.com for a $20 Cashback Bonus ("Good Grade Reward"). Starting 9/1/2018, this promotion will be a $20 statement credit to your account and no longer Cashback Bonus." It's good for 5 consecutive years from application.

I know she's just starting college, but they didn't state it had to be a college GPA even though I guess it's implied. YMMV time?
She took college classes during her senior year so she does have a college gpa already maybe that will work!?! Thanks for the info!

My DD used the regular app and indicated college student. They eventually inquired about her GPA which she was able to self report. Nothing from the university required.

She took college classes during her senior year so she does have a college gpa already maybe that will work!?! Thanks for the info!

Awesome! I can't see how that wouldn't work then :) I did forget that, I'm not as good at spreadsheets as @Lain apparently ;)

My DD used the regular app and indicated college student. They eventually inquired about her GPA which she was able to self report. Nothing from the university required.

Even better! That's good to hear. It seemed like that may be the case but unfortunately for me I was way out of school by the time this current program started so I didn't know first hand :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter