I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I paid for our fall cruise with Dis gift cards for the discount. Now i'm wondering if i should
have used Chase or Amex because of the built in travel ins? I haven't booked flights yet so
with all the delays cancellations I will use Amex or Chase but with points. Should I pay part of
it with the card for the insurance? Thanks
For flights, I think even if you use Chase points, you will have the insurance. With AMEX, it needs to be a round trip.

Cruisers here. Any particular company you like/experienced to book your travel insurance?

Anyone use Insure my trip ?

Also I paid for our fall cruise with Dis gift cards for the discount. Now i'm wondering if i should
have used Chase or Amex because of the built in travel ins? I haven't booked flights yet so
with all the delays cancellations I will use Amex or Chase but with points. Should I pay part of
it with the card for the insurance? Thanks

Thank you for responding. I added to my post above can you look it over and give possible
recommendations. Thank you!

I always pay part of the trip with the CSR for the travel protection. However, many of the bloggers have posted that as long as part of the trip was paid with the UR points from your CSR or charged to your CSR then the travel protection applies.

I would also advise keeping each of your Disney GCs until the trip is over. If something happens, they will refund back to the gift cards. I have stacks of DGCs that I keep after paying for the trip. I write down what trip was paid for on the back of each GC with a sharpie, bind it up in a rubber band and set aside. Once I am back from the trip, I can discard them. I would advise the same if you are paying for a different trip using Vias GCs that were purchased for 5x at an office supply store. If there is a refund it will go back to the Visa GC in many cases. Therefore, I also have a stack of Visa GCs with notes written in sharpie on the back LOL

So did i make a mistake using all the Dis gift cards to pay for trip? In the future should I pay
part of it with Chase? I'm still 3rd party but nice if using card for extra protection/overlap.

So did i make a mistake using all the Dis gift cards to pay for trip? In the future should I pay
part of it with Chase? I'm still 3rd party but nice if using card for extra protection/overlap.

For most Disney cruise trips we pay with all DGCs and just use insure my trip. For international trips we will pay part with Chase and still use insure my trip.

“DH” just had the annual fee for his CSP. I have a CSR which is almost 5 years old.
I am torn on whether I just have DH downgrade his CSP or I downgrade my CSR and use his support link to get a CSP. In that case, I would have him upgrade his CSP to CSR because I like to have one.

If I choose to downgrade my CSR, how long do I have to wait to apply for the CSP?

Also, double dip? I don’t even know if I want to bother with that. Seems like too much spend for me and the bonus for the CSR isn’t that much. Also the second card would still count towards my 5/5 status right?

You need to wait 4 days after you pc to app again. Both cards count towards 5/24. The reason for doing an mdd is to get both cards both because of the one rule and most wait until they are 4/24 to do it.

:crutches:sorry, I am typing on my tablet so expect typos. First my pity party and then if you get through this, I have some CC questions at the end.

A week ago I slipped outside in the yard and broke my ankle. A bit bummed as it was a bad dislocation and fracture (3bones broken). I am expected to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks. I’ll go to the dr next week to remove the temporary split and find out if it is a longer recovery. Very humbling to rely on some one else for small basic needs (cooking, toileting, bathing, …). I am using a walker and knee roller to get around. Still getting used to that and still on pain meds so DH makes sure I get up and get where I am going safely. Luckily he is retired and can be here all the time. I’ll make the call later this summer but I’m resigned to canceling my Oregon trip (Mt Hood, Crater Lake, Redwoods, coast) And moving it to next year.

next the credit card questions
  • I am not flying anymore this year, so I want to cancel my SW personal card. Since I PCed it a year ago, I got my anniversary points on my original anniversary and my $75 credit renewed already. But my AF is coming up in June. I’d like to get my 75 credit before the AF and then cancel. I think I can buy GCs on SW and get the credit. Can someone confirm? What can I use GCs for? I thought I could not use for EBCI. >:( So I’ll have to use for flights. Can you use for upgraded boarding at the airport?
  • DH will need a new CC for the hospital bills. Can some one share how to generate a Chase Biz support link? I usually save the email Chase sends on supporting, but I can’t find it. Good news, we’ll put the bills on the CC and then take a withdrawal from the HSA.

Thanks.

I'd like to clean up DH's Chase Business cards a bit. He currently holds two CIC cards, one CIU, and one SW bus. So 4 business cards. One of the CIC cards is used monthly to pay our wireless bill for the 5% back in points.

I'd like to have him apply for a CIC or CIU in the next couple of months but with so many open does it look bad? Should we close some and consolidate the credit?

The current credit lines are CIC -9000, CIU 7000, CIC 6000. Again the only card used is the CIC with the 9000 limit.

I always pay part of the trip with the CSR for the travel protection. However, many of the bloggers have posted that as long as part of the trip was paid with the UR points from your CSR or charged to your CSR then the travel protection applies.

I would also advise keeping each of your Disney GCs until the trip is over. If something happens, they will refund back to the gift cards. I have stacks of DGCs that I keep after paying for the trip. I write down what trip was paid for on the back of each GC with a sharpie, bind it up in a rubber band and set aside. Once I am back from the trip, I can discard them. I would advise the same if you are paying for a different trip using Vias GCs that were purchased for 5x at an office supply store. If there is a refund it will go back to the Visa GC in many cases. Therefore, I also have a stack of Visa GCs with notes written in sharpie on the back LOL
I wait at least a few weeks after returning from a trip (sometimes longer if I forget) On our one Disney cruise, I used a Disney GC for lots of purchases onboard. When looking at the photo package I specifically asked if the Disney Visa discount applied. I was told no, so I used a gift card. On returning home, I checked the DV benefits and I could have gotten a discount. I called to complain and they said 'too bad, you used a GC' even after I explained that I only used a GC because I was told no DV discount. A few weeks later on double checking DGCs before discarding them and I find a credit in the amount in question.
:crutches:sorry, I am typing on my tablet so expect typos. First my pity party and then if you get through this, I have some CC questions at the end.

A week ago I slipped outside in the yard and broke my ankle. A bit bummed as it was a bad dislocation and fracture (3bones broken). I am expected to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks. I’ll go to the dr next week to remove the temporary split and find out if it is a longer recovery. Very humbling to rely on some one else for small basic needs (cooking, toileting, bathing, …). I am using a walker and knee roller to get around. Still getting used to that and still on pain meds so DH makes sure I get up and get where I am going safely. Luckily he is retired and can be here all the time. I’ll make the call later this summer but I’m resigned to canceling my Oregon trip (Mt Hood, Crater Lake, Redwoods, coast) And moving it to next year.

• I am not flying anymore this year, so I want to cancel my SW personal card. Since I PCed it a year ago, I got my anniversary points on my original anniversary and my $75 credit renewed already. But my AF is coming up in June. I’d like to get my 75 credit before the AF and then cancel. I think I can buy GCs on SW and get the credit. Can someone confirm? What can I use GCs for? I thought I could not use for EBCI. >:( So I’ll have to use for flights. Can you use for upgraded boarding at the airport?
  • DH will need a new CC for the hospital bills. Can some one share how to generate a Chase Biz support link? I usually save the email Chase sends on supporting, but I can’t find it. Good news, we’ll put the bills on the CC and then take a withdrawal from the HSA.

Thanks.
I'm so sorry for your injury. It does suck. I'm 4 weeks post injury/3 weeks post surgery on a broken shoulder (humerus). In a sling for 6 weeks post op which means I'll be wearing it to DLR in 2 weeks. And yes, we got a new CIU for hospital bills. In the app, you can click on the card you want to refer from and scroll down to find Refer a Friend under Account Services. (Silly me in my Norco induced haze managed to apply DH for the CIC but forgot the support link.)
Hope you heal quickly.

Thanks.
I'm sorry about your ankle. That stinks. I was thinking about closing my SW card this year, but they gave me a retention offer for more than the fee so I kept it. I don't use the card much, but I will use it when they have spending offers. You could try for a retention offer if you haven't already.

I'm so sorry for your injury. It does suck. I'm 4 weeks post injury/3 weeks post surgery on a broken shoulder (humerus). In a sling for 6 weeks post op which means I'll be wearing it to DLR in 2 weeks. And yes, we got a new CIU for hospital bills. In the app, you can click on the card you want to refer from and scroll down to find Refer a Friend under Account Services. (Silly me in my Norco induced haze managed to apply DH for the CIC but forgot the support link.)
Hope you heal quickly.
thanks. Found the refer link. I want to make sure I’m clear headed before I/DH applies. :-)

While I had wanted a counter depth refrigerator, I just got a terrific price from Costco on a GE Profile French Door. It did suck not being able to use AmEx to pay though. I scheduled to have it delivered after we return from our cruise. Excited to have a new frig and more freezer space since our current one is working fine. It will be moved to the garage for a back-up.

Thanks.
Ouch! Good luck with the recovery!

While I had wanted a counter depth refrigerator, I just got a terrific price from Costco on a GE Profile French Door. It did suck not being able to use AmEx to pay though. I scheduled to have it delivered after we return from our cruise. Excited to have a new frig and more freezer space since our current one is working fine. It will be moved to the garage for a back-up.

Did you buy the one that also makes coffee?

I just returned yesterday from a two week trip to visit my daughter and family in Germany. Flew from Houston to DC to meet my sister and then flew on to Frankfurt. I used my Priority Pass to visit the KLM lounge at IAH that was in my terminal fairly close to my gate. I was having breakfast and noticed someone was ordering cocktails and I thought how great is it to be able to drink in the morning! So I ordered a Mimosa! Had a nice layover in Dulles and when my sister arrived (she lives in Baltimore), we had dinner at Chef Geoff's since we were leaving from terminal C. Was able to use the restaurant credit with my Priority Pass which took $56 off the bill ($28 each) and we just lingered at the restaurant enjoying dessert until closer to our flight time. We had a 10:10 PM departure and there was no way I wanted to eat so late on the flight. Went right to sleep and managed to do ok taking Benadryl and Melatonin. We flew economy on United points. A lot of people fly through Frankfurt going to other destinations but since this was our final destination, customs was a breeze. My sister and I were the only two in line when we went through. Germany and Austria are pretty open as far as no need for masks except on trains. And I believe any other type of public transportation. We were required to wear a mask on the United flight leaving DC and was told it was a German requirement. Flying back to the US from Frankfurt, a mask was not required. We were again on United airlines. We did get Covid tested at the airport which was very efficient. Cost was 29 euros for a rapid test. We did plan for an extra hour of time to take care of that. Other airports may be more busy and the other option would be to get Covid tested in the city or town where you were staying. We would have done that except we got home too late the night before our flight.
The weather was absolutely perfect. Most days in the mid-70s and sunny, and in the 50s at night. Our last day there though it reached 88°. I would not be interested in visiting in the hot summer months. Especially since most places we visited did not have air conditioning.
We spent the first week at our daughters home which is in the country and perfect for taking walks and hiking with my six-month-old grandson. My daughter had to work 12 hour shifts three of the days so we decided to not travel other than locally the first week. The second week we went to Salzburg and Bavaria. The highlight of the trip was seeing the passion play which is only performed every 10 years in this very small town in Germany. A lot of church groups organize Europe trips centered around visiting churches and the play being the highlight. Also had an opportunity to do a sound of music tour in Salzburg which was fabulous, as well as attend a Mozart concert in a fortress that was started in the 600s and took 1000 years to build. So much history and beauty there! We had minimal cost for the trip since I booked the flights on miles and we stayed at my daughters house the first week so I had hotel expenses for four nights of the trip. No other travel expenses other than helping to pay for gas. And we dined out quite a bit for the two weeks. Thanks so much to this board for helping me learn how to wisely use points for travel! Can’t wait till our next trip in September! It’s a Disney Norwegian fjords cruise from Dover! 😊

Attachments

• 6077785F-2819-4CFF-8E51-936638AD51E2.jpeg
    6077785F-2819-4CFF-8E51-936638AD51E2.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 31D1E56A-568B-4BEB-B768-77417F264ABC.jpeg
    31D1E56A-568B-4BEB-B768-77417F264ABC.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 13
  • A47BB05D-F98C-4FC6-A59A-A7AB13071103.jpeg
    A47BB05D-F98C-4FC6-A59A-A7AB13071103.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 14
  • F327B4F7-CBB8-4419-89F6-A55E305224C6.jpeg
    F327B4F7-CBB8-4419-89F6-A55E305224C6.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 45A1B867-B08A-43A3-9C27-2AB5C7B96F10.jpeg
    45A1B867-B08A-43A3-9C27-2AB5C7B96F10.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 85945B40-9A1C-4D1A-85B6-D88C1B50239C.jpeg
    85945B40-9A1C-4D1A-85B6-D88C1B50239C.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 13
  • AD4A49CF-0928-42C9-B488-D3270046DE9D.jpeg
    AD4A49CF-0928-42C9-B488-D3270046DE9D.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 324C2117-D896-4951-AA97-066459B0428D.jpeg
    324C2117-D896-4951-AA97-066459B0428D.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 14
Just discovered the absolute best use of Hilton points
just got back from Foxborough Mass. Hilton Garden Inn across parking lot from Gillette. 60000 points. Garth Brooks concert. While we watached cars still trying to leave the stadium 3 hours after show ended, we took a nice walk and were in our room in 10 minutes. The roads getting out were backed up, the main roads were backed up. after a nice nights sleep, a leisurely breakfast we were on our way home!
Even if I had to pay $400 the room would be worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter