I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not receive any emails from chase about this.
When is the new fee going to post?
On the usual anniversary date?

Kind of torn on cancelling the card.
Still have free nights on the account but if we don't get to travel this year, it is just more waste.

There is a blurb on DOC from November that says August 2021 and then todays blurb says 'perhaps Feb 1'.

here is the prior report on DOC from Nov.

********'pdate 11/18/20: Chase has reached out to state that legacy cardholders will automatically be converted on January 11, 2021. They also point out that existing cardholders have the opportunity to earn another free night certificate by December 31, 2020 but this was previously announced. The increased annual fee will start to be charged in August 2021, so if your renewal is before then you’ll pay the lower annual fee for that cardmember year. ********

So, having experienced this with the Chase Marriott Bonvoy from Chase where they changed the card and upped the fee, my guess is it will be August as stated. My reasoning is my Chase Bonvoy card was upgraded (by me after numerous incentives were offered) in early December prior to my anniversary of Xmas Day. If left alone I would have gotten a 25K FNC. On upgrade, I got the 35K certificate, my annual fee was refunded, and my new fee was rescheduled to 6 months down the road in June. I also got 50K points for an incentive.

It is in my intention to spend the $50 refund, and close the card, then reopen as the new card later this year. This way I get to change the month that I receive my FNC to a month that better serves me.

You will not lose your existing FNC until they expire as they are in your Hyatt rewards account, not in your credit card account.

Hyatt sent an email on Jan 11. It's not clear in stating that your card has changed, but it does tell you your 2021 benefits from your 'new' card.

For example, I see Hilton offers discounts for international bookings, promo code AL. I tried for the Maldives - cheapest room is like 739, but $522 with the AL airline discount code, nearly 30% off the cheapest rate.
Not sure of the verification needed, but at a minimum an airline ID.

I know some people prefer to pay $0 for travel, while others are looking to substantially discount travel. If looking for a card, you might consider a hotel card, like the Hilton Aspire, which earns a ton of points and other benefits at their hotels. Then, you use your highly discounted paid stays to earn future free stays through points and certificates.View attachment 549801

You seem to be knowledgeable about using airline travel perks. My BF is a pilot and sucks at this kinda thing! Teach me your ways, so I can get him to start using this, LOL.

I got the news yesterday that my 30pt DVC contract to add on at Boardwalk passed ROFR. I am so happy! I put a $2500 deposit on my new Amex Plat without really thinking what would happen if I didn’t pass and got the deposit back.

Very excited to have some Boardwalk points to use when RunDisney weekends return, but not happy to get the news the same day they announce no ME. I bought these points mostly for older DD and myself to do girls weekend without DH and the little kids and ME was a big part of that for us.
Congratulations!! We added on at BWV too and love it there! We stay there on most of our trips. We own at AK too but usually Switch at 7 months to BWV.
I am not happy about no ME either. Still hoping to get down in the fall and get to use it one more time! We are still up in there about some of our AK points - if we think we will go before they expire or if we are going to try to rent them.

Alright guys. After this news of the ME going away, i'm officially gonna stay offsite 2022. No interest in going back until things are semi normal again. I want to stay at one of the disney springs hotels with the possibility of the FP benefits returning. I spent about all of my 700k UR points w/ the PYB on a new roof from Lowe's. Since I have some time to hopefully earn a free hotel for my stay, which cards/hotel do you suggest to achieve that goal? Thanks to all.

Alright guys. After this news of the ME going away, i'm officially gonna stay offsite 2022. No interest in going back until things are semi normal again. I want to stay at one of the disney springs hotels with the possibility of the FP benefits returning. I spent about all of my 700k UR points w/ the PYB on a new roof from Lowe's. Since I have some time to hopefully earn a free hotel for my stay, which cards/hotel do you suggest to achieve that goal? Thanks to all.
Hilton is probably the most convenient and it’s easy to accrue points and free nights and they have 4 AmEx cards to gather points. The Aspire gets you a free night every year but I am not sure I would use the FNC for Disney since they aren’t terribly pricey so not a lot of value for the night. I’d use points, personally and save any FNCs for a pricier locales.

Well, my summer safari plans got derailed before I even booked anything. The new re-entry testing req for citizens was a hurdle I am just not willing to tackle on top of all the other planning required for such a big trip. My nephew immediately agreed with me. I offered to take him somewhere in the U.S. instead but he said he would rather to postpone until next year. Upside: more time earn points to help pay for trip!

I spoke to a mortgage broker today about refi and let him do a hard pull. I know I'm supposed to ask for advice BEFORE I do anything that might affect my credit plans, but it all happened so quickly I was impulsive and said yes because I'm pretty sure I am going to refi. All that being said, is that pull likely to affect my next card app in a couple of weeks?

Well, my summer safari plans got derailed before I even booked anything. The new re-entry testing req for citizens was a hurdle I am just not willing to tackle on top of all the other planning required for such a big trip. My nephew immediately agreed with me. I offered to take him somewhere in the U.S. instead but he said he would rather to postpone until next year. Upside: more time earn points to help pay for trip!

I spoke to a mortgage broker today about refi and let him do a hard pull. I know I'm supposed to ask for advice BEFORE I do anything that might affect my credit plans, but it all happened so quickly I was impulsive and said yes because I'm pretty sure I am going to refi. All that being said, is that pull likely to affect my next card app in a couple of weeks?

Boo! Sorry your trip has to be postponed, but totally understand given the circumstances. We're going to have to rethink some summer travel plans ourselves now...

As for the refi - to be honest, if you're going to go for a refi, I'd personally be inclined to just hold off on credit card activity until it's closed. That being said, I doubt it will seriously impact anything, just might have to answer a few more questions, as long as your credit score/history is healthy.

Question for the experts: I got the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. It gives 6% back at grocery stores on up to $6k spend. As long as I’m not earning a SUB, am I good to buy a large amount of gift cards (~$5k) at the grocery store for the 6% cash back without upsetting the Amex powers that be?

Question for the experts: I got the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. It gives 6% back at grocery stores on up to $6k spend. As long as I’m not earning a SUB, am I good to buy a large amount of gift cards (~$5k) at the grocery store for the 6% cash back without upsetting the Amex powers that be?
Yes, it seems fine - I try to made out my Amex BCP each year in this way. I haven't had any issues. If you're a little paranoid, when buying a gift card you could add an item to throw off the total. (for example: $501.37 vs. $500)

Agree with SFF. I have bought up to $1500 of GC at a time with my BCP, though I usually add something else to the total. I am going to downgrade mine in a few weeks because I just don't need many GC now and don't spend enough on groceries.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Here is my plan so far.

Step 1
Me - Hyatt
Husband - Discover

Step 2 -
Me - Hilton Surpass or Aspire
Husband - Hilton?

A few questions-
  • I guess it would make sense for my husband to apply for a new different Hilton card since he has had his (Surpass) for a number of years?
  • Would he need to close that card before applying?
  • How long should I wait between steps? I know Chase has a 3 month rule, but I’m not sure about other cards.

Step 1
Me - Hyatt
Husband - Discover

Step 2 -
Husband - Hilton?

A few questions-
  • I guess it would make sense for my husband to apply for a new different Hilton card since he has had his (Surpass) for a number of years?
  • How long should I wait between steps? I know Chase has a 3 month rule, but I’m not sure about other cards.

Since your DH has a Surpass, he can't get the bonus on it. It doesn't matter if he closes the card or not. He can still get the no fee, Aspire, or the biz.

Has he ever gotten an upgrade offer on the Surpass to the Aspire? If he did, it would be possible to apply for the Aspire and then take the upgrade offer. If he only took the upgrade offer, it would lock him out of getting the bonus in the future.

Amex isn't usually inquiry or new card (from other issuers) sensitive. I think you can do the steps however closely you want. If you wanted to get multiple Amex cards, the rule is 1 credit card within 5 days or 2 within 90 days. This doesn't apply to charge cards like the plat.

Step 1
Me - Hyatt
Husband - Discover

Step 2 -
Husband - Hilton?

A few questions-
Yes, your husband would have to get a different Hilton. AmEx SUBs are once in a lifetime (or every 7 years). Probably wouldn't hurt to keep his Surpass open until the next AF is due, as long as you don't have more than 5 credit cards with AmEx. With those different issuers you could do them both on the same day if you wanted. You are really only limited by your ability to hit the MSR. Since Chase is still a little more stingy with approvals I'd do Chase first.

Trying to figure out how to maximize what I can pay for with credit card on the rental. At the least I need to replace the stove, may also need to do the dishwasher. I just finished my Hilton biz spend, I don't want any high af's right now because my plat will hit next month and csr in March. I think my next card may be the surpass but not positive and we all know chase hates me. So I'm not looking for a new card but to best use what I have.

Since extended warranty doesn't matter since the house will be sold shortly after they are purchased I think gift cards for Lowes might be my best option. And with that I think my best option would be to use my gold card at Safeway. But that brings in the, how many forms of payment will Lowes allow me online since these appliances will be in NC and are there variable load cards for them.

Otherwise I'm guessing just use a UR or MR card right? All I have are one's that would earn 1pt there. And yes I know there's the HD offers on my plat, but you also have to realize that NC, particularly where my house is 15ish miles from Lowes headquarters, is Lowes country. There's 2 Lowes within 5 miles of my house in either direction, though between them is one of the few HD's in the area and the only one I actually know of. And I'll easily use the HD one for stuff here at home or the showerhead and curtain rod that need to be replaced.

FINAL REMINDER: Support Link Thread refresh is now complete! The old threads have been removed. You can still find your previous comment to copy and paste in your reddit comment history if you didn't get around to handling this yet. OR you can create a new comment in the new thread. Thanks all!

1/4/2021 - DISchurners Announcement #1 - Chase, Amex & Misc Support Link THREAD REFRESH

It's time for everybody's favorite event...the semi-annual refresh of the SUPPORT Link Threads.

As a reminder - ANYBODY is welcome to share their support links in these threads. The instructions are at the top of each one.

For those that have previously posted, the easiest way to move them over is:
1) Go to your OLD comment in the OLD thread (you'll see the old threads listed near the bottom of the DISchurners feed)
2) Click EDIT
3) COPY the entire comment text in the edit box
4) PASTE the comment text as a NEW comment in the NEW thread (you'll find the new threads near the top of the feed)
5) CHECK all links to make sure they are active and working and make sure that your description of the offer matches the actual offer!
You do NOT need to delete your old comment when done, you can just leave it in that thread.

This process will help you not have to re-do all your formatting.
Side Note: It is best to access DISchurners in old reddit. (https://old.reddit.com/r/DISchurners/)

Side Note 2: I would also advise that you check to make sure that all of your links are accurate and working!!

I will post reminders for this over the next week or so and will then remove the old threads with only the new threads remaining.

One more general reminder, reddit flags many support links as spam. I then go in and manually approve them. I will keep an eye on that as we conduct the refresh and approve them all as quickly as possible! :D

I will be putting out a few announcements this evening as I work through a thread refresh. A reddit thread locks after 6 months and if we want to continue the discussion, a new one is created. To draw attention to some of the various topics we have available on DISchurners, I will do these as a series of announcements tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter