• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card: 140k Offer is BACK!
From the blog View From the Wing (VFTW) - the all-time high offer of 140k is back: (matching the offer that was around during the first half of 2020)

https://viewfromthewing.com/ihg-cards-brand-new-best-ever-140000-point-offer/
This card includes some great benefits including Platinum status, a reward night at your account anniversary year each year, and a reward night benefit on points stays of 4 or more nights, (basically this seems to be a 4th night FREE benefit when using points!)

For an annual fee of $89, it's a pretty good deal (oh and also includes a GE or TSA credit).

This card is subject to the 5/24 rule and is a personal card and will add to your "5" count. I'm not sure what the support link offer is on this card, or if this offer will come to support links. I've been out of the IHG game personally for over 4 years but passing this along because it is a GREAT offer.

As you probably realize, hotel points valuations can be all over the place but I'd say the points alone here are worth a solid $600-$700 (with the potential for much more), not to mention the value of the numerous other benefits that come with this card.
I just got this card the first week of July. Is it worth trying to get matched to this offer? It was 125,000 when I applied.

I just got this card the first week of July. Is it worth trying to get matched to this offer? It was 125,000 when I applied.
It’s probably unlikely that you’ll get it BUT I’d absolutely try via SM. And you want to do so ASAP since chase won’t match period once 90 days have passed. I’d provide a link to the webpage showing the CC offer in your SM (not the blog).

We also canceled our Oct trip. We have Spring Break booked, but who knows how things will play out. Of all of us, my DH is taking it the hardest. He's the hard-core Disney fanatic here.
We will travel again eventually! I've got a lot of URs saved up. My trip was originally a solo, when DH's scuba trip to the Caymans got cancelled, he reluctantly agreed to come along, but is not unhappy it's not happening. Next big trip is St Lucia end of May, that's the only scuba trip I go on because I love the resort.

I'VE BEEN CLEARED TO CLOSE!!!! YIPPPPPPPEEEEE!!!

So that now brings about which card to go for, LOL. I plan on signing on the dotted line for my refi and hitting the CC apps right after. I know I keep asking this, is there any harm in applying for the Barclay Biz and getting denied? They don't like me. Though I have the personal one. But I haven't had a ton of open cards lately, so maybe I can get lucky? In the past the reason has been too many new cards.

If I get the Barclay, I can still try for a CIC or CIU, right? That won't affect my /24 status? Since the Barclay is legit just one purchase for the miles, I won't have a MSR to hit, so I figure I'll go for one of the chase biz cards too.

When/if I get the CIC or CIU, I'd need to wait on any other Chase cards right? I've been eying up the free IHG card for awhile. I have the premier but I need more IHG points. I'm at 3/24 next week.

I posted a question to the private group if anyone has time to take a look at my strategy for Chase applications in the next week or two. Is anyone else feeling sad after the news on Disney layoffs yesterday and lack of desire for travel right now? I'm pretty much resigned to finding ways to boost cash for the time being, but it isn't nearly as fun. I started all this to fund Hawaii and Disney vacations and it's a different game for me now. Just feeling a little despondent today, I guess.

Hhhh still waiting. Applied Sunday I think? "There are no applications on file" still. Not feeling hopeful.

Also, I have been thinking I was getting hacked because I kept getting alerts to my email that there was a new login in Ashburn, Va on my Disney account (I'm in Wa). I went through the hassle of changing my password and still kept getting the email. Finally I had a light bulb moment--it's my stinking AwardWallet login! :sad2: Do you know how much time I spent changing passwords on a zillion smart TV's, tablets, phones, etc?!?!

P.S.S.: We booked 3 nights at SSR for our November trip (6-15, so we can cover Jersey week AND Veterans day :headache:....yeah did not check the calendar on that one). We were going to do another 6 nights at Reunion in a rental house with the thinking that if parks were crazy, unmanageable, packed, or miserable with all current changes we could at the very least stroll over to the water park and float on the lazy river and still have a nice trip. Rental houses cost a little more in Reunion but you get the WP access so it's worth it, right? I have been scouring the internet for an eternity looking at places and finally found one that said it had 'preferred partner WP access' so I booked last night--6 nights in a swanky little place for just over $2k. After I get the confirmation email it then specifies that you have to pay at the gate for WP access ($18 adults,$12 kids) PLUS a $25 registration fee per day to book your WP day that is non changeable or refundable, with a max of 1-2 WP visits. So if it's 70 degrees and raining we are committed regardless and would lose the $25 if we changed our mind. If we do go it's $151 for our party of 8...The pool heat is adds $238. So now we are up to $2400.

Now I am second guessing and thinking we should have gone for Windsor Hills-- being closer to the parks, saving $$ and not stressing about picking the 'right' WP day. Or maybe even Storey Lake. Not knowing what to expect at the parks is making me sooooooooo indecisive.

Yikes! I don't know enough about Reunion to be very useful but my niece has owned 2 rental properties there. The first property - a six bedroom - had some kind of owners membership where the waterpark was included, and I went and didn't have to pay. Their kids were younger then but are college age now. That house just had the jacuzzi and splash pool set up so the water park membership was pretty useful.

The 2nd house is a newer and larger property near the Jack Nicklaus/Bear's Den area. No water park access, but this property has a huge pool, jacuzzi and the screened in feature. I'm not sure if they can use the water park by paying as it has never come up.

So my take on it is that if the owner paid the membership, the guests went for free. But if the owner had no membership, then someone had to pay for access. Also, things may have changed - she owned the property for about 10 years, sold it and bought the new one about 2 - 3 years ago, with maybe a year and a half in between.

Yikes! I don't know enough about Reunion to be very useful but my niece has owned 2 rental properties there. The first property - a six bedroom - had some kind of owners membership where the waterpark was included, and I went and didn't have to pay. Their kids were younger then but are college age now. That house just had the jacuzzi and splash pool set up so the water park membership was pretty useful.

The 2nd house is a newer and larger property near the Jack Nicklaus/Bear's Den area. No water park access, but this property has a huge pool, jacuzzi and the screened in feature. I'm not sure if they can use the water park by paying as it has never come up.

So my take on it is that if the owner paid the membership, the guests went for free. But if the owner had no membership, then someone had to pay for access. Also, things may have changed - she owned the property for about 10 years, sold it and bought the new one about 2 - 3 years ago, with maybe a year and a half in between.

What I gather is that it's super confusing!
I think the homeowner MUST have membership and depending on the level either the guests are free (I don't think many are in this level $$$$), and if you have a lower level you get a certain amount of WP visits allotted annually but your guests must register a week in advance and pay the fee at the gate. Also you can stay at the Reunion 3 bedroom condos through World Mark and Wyndham and they come with unlimited WP use.

I think anyhow. I mean I really just want to recreate the lazy river +palm tree experience at Aulani. Is that so much to ask? 😂

I'm at 5/24 and I've been so focused on Chase cards I forgot that there are other business cards I can get while at 5/24 that won't add to my 5/24 status. I was just approved for the AMEX SkyMiles Gold Business. What are other business cards I can apply for that won't go against the Chase 5/24 rule? If airline or hotels cards I would prefer rewards that won't expire if I cancel the card or due to non use.

Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card: 140k Offer is BACK!
From the blog View From the Wing (VFTW) - the all-time high offer of 140k is back: (matching the offer that was around during the first half of 2020)

https://viewfromthewing.com/ihg-cards-brand-new-best-ever-140000-point-offer/
This card includes some great benefits including Platinum status, a reward night at your account anniversary year each year, and a reward night benefit on points stays of 4 or more nights, (basically this seems to be a 4th night FREE benefit when using points!)

For an annual fee of $89, it's a pretty good deal (oh and also includes a GE or TSA credit).

This card is subject to the 5/24 rule and is a personal card and will add to your "5" count. I'm not sure what the support link offer is on this card, or if this offer will come to support links. I've been out of the IHG game personally for over 4 years but passing this along because it is a GREAT offer.

As you probably realize, hotel points valuations can be all over the place but I'd say the points alone here are worth a solid $600-$700 (with the potential for much more), not to mention the value of the numerous other benefits that come with this card.
Additional note: IHG Traveler card (with no annual fee) showing a 100,000 point offer for $2k MSR:
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/100ktravelernaep?CELL=6H8X

What I gather is that it's super confusing!
I think the homeowner MUST have membership and depending on the level either the guests are free (I don't think many are in this level $$$$), and if you have a lower level you get a certain amount of WP visits allotted annually but your guests must register a week in advance and pay the fee at the gate. Also you can stay at the Reunion 3 bedroom condos through World Mark and Wyndham and they come with unlimited WP use.

I think anyhow. I mean I really just want to recreate the lazy river +palm tree experience at Aulani. Is that so much to ask? 😂

I remember my niece's husband complaining about the cost of the membership, lol. It was something like 10K at the time for a year.

And, my favorite thing to do is to go to the players clubhouse for dinner - all the way past the actual hotel/Wyndham building on the right side. I get the grilled salmon with julienned veggies/mashed potatoes each time, and can eat this meal a couple of times on vacation. Last Feb I ate this meal there twice and then went to the Nicklaus clubhouse, ordering the similar meal - not the same and I was so disappointed! The clubhouse is noisy and echoes but they have outdoor seating in the back if you ask for it which can be very pleasant. The menu is casual and decently priced. The other clubhouse appears more formal but was still a relaxed atmosphere and it's brand new, had just opened when we went. Most of the golfers were gone if we dined after 6:30 - 7.

Dipping in to say hi-haven't been on the boards for a long time basically because it's 2020 and I haven't had much to say in the world of churning. That said the September 2020 has been the icing on my year cake so far. Just a reminder that a diverse portfolio of points and miles can be so helpful when things hit the fan!

My uncle died after a 6 week battle with pancreatic cancer September 7th. Using DL miles DH and I were able to fly up to MCI on Friday, used my CSR to rent a car (primary renter's insurance), dipped into my Bonvoy points for a hotel room the night before the funeral, then used Hyatt points for a hotel close to the airport Sat night, flying back on DL. OOP costs for a last minute trip for 2 to the middle of nowhere MO <$300. If I'd had more United or American airlines miles I could've flown to Columbia, MO rendering a rental car unnecessary (note to self- get more of those, lol).

The day after the hurricane hit, my father was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer. So I'm now at my parents' home in Alabama. I'll use DL miles to fly back home for a few days to keep some appointments, then return after that. They have an Embassy Suites and an AC hotel within walking distance so during the holidays (which will very likely be Dad's last), I fortunately have Hilton and Bonvoy points we can use to not overwhelm Mom (or sleep on the couch). I should also have enough of both to put up Dad's fraternity brother who wants to come and say good bye as the end nears.

TL;DR-it's good to have flexible currencies (MRs, URs and/or TYPs) as well as hotel/airline currencies that you tend to use the most often for life's unexpected curveballs. I had no idea when I got the Hilton Aspire last November how helpful their points would be and although I'm a Hyatt fangirl, it never hurts to have a Bonvoy stash!
I'm so sorry for your loss and your dad's illness. :grouphug:

Good luck with whatever happens. DH and I went on usually at least one cruise a year (some with, some without kids). I'm really looking forward to cruising again!
We went on our first cruise last November and Dh said he would rather not do one again. Lately we keep talking about taking ds on a Disney cruise. I’m not sure what changed his mind. Maybe being stuck at home all the time?

Short of Southwest renewing their previous policy of extending travel funds (which expired on 9/7) I think you are basically stuck with whatever expiration date you have on these funds. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot "game" their system by continually changing your flight to a future date.
Ok. Thanks. I wish they would release more months of their schedule at a time when they do it. Then I could pick the date that I want. Oh well. Maybe I will plan a trip for the spring.

We went on our first cruise last November and Dh said he would rather not do one again. Lately we keep talking about taking ds on a Disney cruise. I’m not sure what changed his mind. Maybe being stuck at home all the time?
Parenthood changes your perspective. Maybe for him, he'd rather not go but now that he is thinking about your son first, he can see all the things the 3 of you would enjoy.

I’m so frustrated today. 7 phone calls from California number saying they’re canceling my social. I’ve blocked them 3 times and they keep calling with new numbers. I wonder if it’s somehow connected to the new loan I applied for last week. They keep leaving this message 🙄1316E970-7DF4-47F6-A6A1-15D9B564FDAE.jpeg

Parenthood changes your perspective. Maybe for him, he'd rather not go but now that he is thinking about your son first, he can see all the things the 3 of you would enjoy.
I think that’s definitely part of it. His big thing was he would rather fly somewhere and stay than do a cruise but with a baby he’s seeing why a Disney cruise would be fun having everything in one place

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter