I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In TIL today, (which could be common knowledge for my NCL peeps but this was a first time for me :) ): When booking NCL shore excursions where multiple people will be taking the same excursion, all people on the excursion have to be booked the same way - either prepaid or held for onboard payment; can't prepay one and then try to reserve to pay on board, at least according to the rep I just had. She did seem knowledgeable and explained it was a problem with a check mark in the system that applies to everyone on the reservation and can't be separated out individually if it's the same tour number. Apparently us booking at different times doesn't matter. :confused3 This is a bizarre system limitation, especially since they've had this Shore Excursion promotion for a few years now. (she said they're still working on a coupon code type idea so they can book it as prepaid. I question the dedication of the IT team to this concept if it's been 3-4 years and can't get a coupon code out, but I digress)

Here's what we were doing. Couple months back with the AmEx offer for NCL to spend $500 get $150 I booked a few excursions for myself to get me over the threshold. I held off booking some for hubby since we chose the $50 per port shore excursion credit and that's only applied onboard. You can prepay for the excursion but you'd pay full price upfront and then they give you a $50 OBC to compensate. I wasn't interested in having OBC to use, I just want to pay less now :) They give you an option to call in to redeem the credit so I assumed they were able to apply the promo in some manual way that the online shopping cart couldn't.
NOPE :)
Apparently how they worked it was to allow phone reps to reserve the tour without payment and the $50 OBC is applied on board as normal.

Fortunately I had a tour not booked at all that we both want to do so it'll work out for us in the end where $50 OBC for the one port I prepaid will cancel out the $50 "extra" I'll be paying onboard that I didn't plan to. But this lowers the amount of spend towards the CIP MSR I calculated. :headache: It's not much of a problem, it's less than $100, but it would have been so much cleaner to have it all prepaid before we arrived so I could use it for the bonus. So the thing I actually have the money in place to pay right now, I have to wait to give it to them! :laughing:

Although maybe I'll buy some OBC to cover the remaining charge and I can put that on the CIP. Gah, something else to think about. (totally firstworldproblems but I was trying to check something off the list not replace it :laughing:) But I keep telling myself it's worth it to save $300 on tours.

Hello All!

My name is JJ and I joined the Disboards in May of 2017 to help with planning a family trip to DisneyWorld in October of 2017. The board was a treasure trove of useful info. I came across this thread a little over a week ago, and have been lurking, as the wife and I have been discussing more travel and the best way to do it for as little out of pocket money as possible. I cannot believe how fast this thread moves. I started reading the first few pages and the volume of information is like drinking from a fire hose. I tried to catchup on the last 100 or so pages to educate myself on the best ways to collect rewards for travel purposes.

A little background… We are a family of 4, myself, my wife, and 2 kids ages 12 and 10. My wife and I have been saving our Wells Fargo Rewards points to help pay for some travel. We liked to keep things simple with using one credit card to pay for almost all of our bills. If we had the option to have the bill paid via auto pay we would do it. We have come to the realization that the Wells Fargo Rewards program was just not earning us enough points for the travel we want to do.

I will post our current card situation and answers to the first page questions below. From what I have been able to read and learn, we are a fairly blank slate to start working with. I have been thinking of a bunch of questions to try to get us started and will ask some more as they come up.

My open cards
06/1997 Wells Fargo Rewards Card
06/2000 Wells Fargo Rewards Card – AU (Wife’s Card) – All purchases/most bills paid with this card.
03/2012 Sears Card

My closed cards
02/2002 Bank of America

Wife's open cards
06/2000 Wells Fargo Rewards Card – All purchases/most bills paid with this card.
10/2007 Target Card
11/2011 Sears Card
05/2017 Lowes Card

Wife’s closed cards
08/2000 Bank of America

What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)? $3000 - $4000
Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month? Yes
What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? Tucson/Phoenix AZ
Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? No
Does SOUTHWEST service your airport? Yes
Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? No, but have a Choice Privileges Rewards Program account.
Do you currently have any travel points in any program? Yes, Wells Fargo Rewards – 145,000
What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? Disney World Trip 2021, Cruise for 20 year anniversary 2022, European Trip 2025 ish.
Who does your travel party consist of? (Myself, Spouse, 2 Kids – age 12, 10)

Thanks for reading my long post. Any help and direction will be very much appreciated.
JJ

Hi :wave2:and Welcome....this thread does move fast...lol
Since you and your wife have not opened any credit cards in the last 24 months you are 0/24 with Chase and can go for any cards

Most of us here start accumulating Chase URs, since they are so versatile....they can be used to book hotels, flights etc or cashed out

If you are open to applying for business cards the Chase Ink Preferred CIP has the highest sign up bonus 80K URs after spending $5k in the first 3 months...you could apply for one...they send your DW a support link...you earn 20k on the support and she earns another 80k.....an easy way to accumulate 190k URs after spending $10k

If you want to stay with personal cards the chase Sapphire Preferred has a 60k UR sign up bonus after spending $4k in the first 3 months...if you do the same...support link to your wife...you would earn 143k URs after a $8 spend

There are lots of really helpful people here

Hello everyone! I’m in charge of planning a last minute trip mid next month that my grandparents want for my brother who’s going off to college.I know everyone wants to do MK but my brother and father want to do Uni. I’m trying to get Disney down as much as possible so we can do both. I’m going to need $2500 worth of DGC. I’m just going to go ahead and buy them. I have so much stuff I plan on buying any way with DGC. So I’m looking for a credit card to go ahead and buy them.

Debt
I still haven’t gotten a new card since 2015. I only have 2, 1 from WF and 1 store card. Just when I was going to apply I got hit with a collection a few months back. My mom’s card had gotten stolen and she thought once the new card arrived payments will continue. She was using it to pay off one of my MRIs that cost $1500 in 3 installments. First 2 were already paid when the card got stolen. There are literally 10 numbers to reach me listed but the lady kept calling the one that recently got disconnected. She also lied and told the collection agency she couldn’t get in touch with me. Which is a lie because I called multiple times to get a prescription for meds and they could’ve mentioned it then. Since I’m 21 I get hit with the collection and -30 points off my credit score. Is there anything I can do? I will pay it but I want it off my report.

Other than that collection I still have my store card that doesn’t impact my score for some reason. I got it below the limit but used the money I was saving on paying it all off to pay my other medical bills so a collection won’t happen again. My WF card limit got doubled so I loaned it to my parents to help with some medical bills and they’re paying it off before the billing cycle so that’s fine .

It’s not bad here this week, warmest temp is today and it’s 82. Supposed to be in the 50s and 60s every night this week. We’ve had several hot weeks recently, so I’m glad it happened this week!
Prob busy with everyone starting up their acs at the same time and realizing problems! Same thing happens here with our oil during the first couple of cold days and heat not working and the oil company is swamped!

Welcome and glad you came out lurkdom! Yes you are both 0/24 which is great. Do you have a specific trio you are planning? Most will say chase UR is a good start. If you are ok applying for a business cards you can get a nice start quickly. The CIP is $5k spend in 3 months which sounds like you could do that with your current spend. I use multiple cards for different spends to maximize the earning. If you had to pick one card only I’d do the CSR since it would cover most of my spend.
We are planning a California trip next summer to hit Universal Hollywood and maybe Knotts Berry farm. Planning Disney World for 2021 and a Cruise to celebrate our 20 year wedding anniversary in 2022. We are not against the business card option, but would need more info to be comfortable with it since neither of us have any "businesses".

If we both sign up for cards, ie player 1 and player 2, is there an easy way to combine the points together? Also, how would the timing/spacing be between applying so we do not have to spend extra to meet the MSR for each card?

Thanks
JJ

Am I crazy for considering a quick trip at the end of August right before my kids school starts? I'm thinking of Aug 22-26th. We were going to do StoryLand or Santa's Village which are just a couple hours away from us, but I think we could actually do a few days at WDW cheaper!
Do you have APs? I do love me some Santa’s Village but really there is no comparison If the price is the same!!!
Hello All!

My name is JJ and I joined the Disboards in May of 2017 to help with planning a family trip to DisneyWorld in October of 2017. The board was a treasure trove of useful info. I came across this thread a little over a week ago, and have been lurking, as the wife and I have been discussing more travel and the best way to do it for as little out of pocket money as possible. I cannot believe how fast this thread moves. I started reading the first few pages and the volume of information is like drinking from a fire hose. I tried to catchup on the last 100 or so pages to educate myself on the best ways to collect rewards for travel purposes.

A little background… We are a family of 4, myself, my wife, and 2 kids ages 12 and 10. My wife and I have been saving our Wells Fargo Rewards points to help pay for some travel. We liked to keep things simple with using one credit card to pay for almost all of our bills. If we had the option to have the bill paid via auto pay we would do it. We have come to the realization that the Wells Fargo Rewards program was just not earning us enough points for the travel we want to do.

I will post our current card situation and answers to the first page questions below. From what I have been able to read and learn, we are a fairly blank slate to start working with. I have been thinking of a bunch of questions to try to get us started and will ask some more as they come up.

My open cards
06/1997 Wells Fargo Rewards Card
06/2000 Wells Fargo Rewards Card – AU (Wife’s Card) – All purchases/most bills paid with this card.
03/2012 Sears Card

My closed cards
02/2002 Bank of America

Wife's open cards
06/2000 Wells Fargo Rewards Card – All purchases/most bills paid with this card.
10/2007 Target Card
11/2011 Sears Card
05/2017 Lowes Card

Wife’s closed cards
08/2000 Bank of America

What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)? $3000 - $4000
Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month? Yes
What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? Tucson/Phoenix AZ
Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? No
Does SOUTHWEST service your airport? Yes
Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? No, but have a Choice Privileges Rewards Program account.
Do you currently have any travel points in any program? Yes, Wells Fargo Rewards – 145,000
What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? Disney World Trip 2021, Cruise for 20 year anniversary 2022, European Trip 2025 ish.
Who does your travel party consist of? (Myself, Spouse, 2 Kids – age 12, 10)

Thanks for reading my long post. Any help and direction will be very much appreciated.
JJ
Welcome! Our kiddos are the same age (my 12 year old will be AU Amex worthy 13 this month!) and our 20th is 2022 also!

Seems like you are doing your homework which is the biggest part of it. I would recommend linking into Dischurners on Reddit and read up on the MDD (modified double dip). It’s not for the faint of heart but you seem up to the challenge and a good candidate.

We are planning a California trip next summer to hit Universal Hollywood and maybe Knotts Berry farm. Planning Disney World for 2021 and a Cruise to celebrate our 20 year wedding anniversary in 2022. We are not against the business card option, but would need more info to be comfortable with it since neither of us have any "businesses".

If we both sign up for cards, ie player 1 and player 2, is there an easy way to combine the points together? Also, how would the timing/spacing be between applying so we do not have to spend extra to meet the MSR for each card?

Thanks
JJ

Yes URs are very easily combined another reason they come out ahead of any reward program. I started out slowish one card P1 and then if the spend was met sooner apply for P2 when ready

Yes URs are very easily combined another reason they come out ahead of any reward program. I started out slowish one card P1 and then if the spend was met sooner apply for P2 when ready
Thanks for the info... Seems we have a bit in common. I don't mind starting a little slowly to get the hang of everything. Does anyone have an easy to follow spreedsheet for points tracking/card timing for opening new ones/closing out old ones?

I'll see if I can access the DISchurners page on Reddit from my work computer. We have quite a lot of sites blocked.

Am I crazy for considering a quick trip at the end of August right before my kids school starts? I'm thinking of Aug 22-26th. We were going to do StoryLand or Santa's Village which are just a couple hours away from us, but I think we could actually do a few days at WDW cheaper!
I would do Santa's Village...get a nail ring and a nice gingerbread cookie you can decorate yourself. Don't forget your bathing suit for Ho-Ho-H20!

DP on Citi Biz #2.

#1 opened 9/11/18 4,000 spend for 70,000 points. Closed card 12/18.
#2 opened 4/9/19 $4,000 spend for 70,000 points. Points just posted 6/8 after statement closed.

Both cards opened on public link. Still trying to get DH a card but they keep having new reasons why he is denied. Will try again after the 95 days are up since last time trying...

Hi :wave2:and Welcome....this thread does move fast...lol
Since you and your wife have not opened any credit cards in the last 24 months you are 0/24 with Chase and can go for any cards

Most of us here start accumulating Chase URs, since they are so versatile....they can be used to book hotels, flights etc or cashed out

If you are open to applying for business cards the Chase Ink Preferred CIP has the highest sign up bonus 80K URs after spending $5k in the first 3 months...you could apply for one...they send your DW a support link...you earn 20k on the support and she earns another 80k.....an easy way to accumulate 190k URs after spending $10k

If you want to stay with personal cards the chase Sapphire Preferred has a 60k UR sign up bonus after spending $4k in the first 3 months...if you do the same...support link to your wife...you would earn 143k URs after a $8 spend

There are lots of really helpful people here
Thanks for the great info... I was not factoring in the referral bonus or the points earned on the spend aspect to meet the MSR. If we play it a little slow and each open a CSP separated by a month or so we should have no problem hitting the MSR. Then maybe look into the CIP's a little apart and we should have above 330,000 points with little effort. The key will be to develop a "business" for the CIP cards.

Some few interesting notes posted from my other group.

Hilton Devaluation - seems like some properties went up by 10k. Source
AA gift card redemptions via Amex Plat credit may be working again. Source

So I want to believe that AA GC report from this morning, but part of me wants to see the full date first! Kept hoping he/she would come back with a screenshot of that so we can see the year :laughing:

But it's promising. I tried checking the FT thread to see if there was any whispers there to confirm but I forgot how much I hate the navigation on that site. I think there hasn't been anything new reported on the GC front so this may be the first DP that it's back. (or a total fluke and OP got lucky. or it really is the long con game for fake internet points :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter