• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a credit card planning fail, we are heading to Disney Thursday with no MSR to meet. My husbands Citi Biz was met last week with Plastiq and I had put off the CIP2 for both of us because I didn’t want to overextend and tuition isn’t due till July.
If I apply now for a CIP2, is there any way to expedite? Since it’s number 2, will that attract unneeded attention?

Lesson learned- when purchasing Starbucks at Target, it doesn’t code as Starbucks but Target :( I tried to use DH’s AmEx offer for the discount.
Using stars at the Target Starbucks works different now too. Mine told me they can only redeem 150 stars for a drink or food. If you want to do the other new rewards amounts you have to go to a corporate Starbucks.

I resemble this observation...

And have also debated over which deodorant to buy to save pennies. And I feel like I chose incorrectly the last time around :P

There's an interesting body of psychological research around this topic of spending time and energy to get the very best deal. If I recall correctly, some people are "maximizers" and some people are "satisfiers." Both have costs and benefits. I tend to be a maximizer but I do try to reign it in some, because it can get overwhelming.

I think this is a good article, if anyone (besides me) is interested: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/the-power-of-good-enough/387388/

There was a strange exchange on yesterday's r/churning discussion thread about a person who was attempting to get paid for using somebody's support link. Apparently they'd reached out to multiple people asking for payment if they used their CIP support link. I'm not sure how much the person wanted (I'd assume $50 or $100 as a "share" of the click)...but just a reminder that shady stuff happens sometimes. This person seemed to want payment up front - I'm not sure what they'd have done if they were denied or if the referral bonus never posted. The whole thing sounds very off - and the risk of paying something like $50 or $100 to get nothing does not seem good to me (even if the person did everything right, there's always the risk that something doesn't track right on Chase's end).

I've NEVER heard of anything like that occurring on DISchurners - just a friendly warning to watch out for stuff like this. If anything like this ever occurs on DISchurners please let me know :)

There's an interesting body of psychological research around this topic of spending time and energy to get the very best deal. If I recall correctly, some people are "maximizers" and some people are "satisfiers." Both have costs and benefits. I tend to be a maximizer but I do try to reign it in some, because it can get overwhelming.

I think this is a good article, if anyone (besides me) is interested: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/the-power-of-good-enough/387388/

I try to maximize also, but step back when it gets overwhelming and just settle. But I find it amusing that there’s research that analyze people who “over analyze”. Lol :rotfl2:

Am I crazy for considering a quick trip at the end of August right before my kids school starts? I'm thinking of Aug 22-26th. We were going to do StoryLand or Santa's Village which are just a couple hours away from us, but I think we could actually do a few days at WDW cheaper!
You do know which thread you’re on...right? :lmao:
. @SouthFayetteFan and I would actually have something in common besides churning/travel hacking o_O If he is a Capricorn then and starts keeping lots of AF card then I know we have entered the Twighlight Zone:rotfl2:
I am a Leo - but definitely not into the astrological stuff at all haha. I’m just Cheap - always have been. Cheap-O was my nickname in high school haha, I embrace it :)

I posted a few weeks ago that I booked my coworkers flight on my JetBlue credit card and was happy to get the points for that. Well, I also booked her hotel, and I went through Ebates when I booked it. I just got an email from Ebates (excuse me, Rakuten!) that I just received almost $50 cashback for that booking! :D

I am a Leo - but definitely not into the astrological stuff at all haha. I’m just Cheap - always have been. Cheap-O was my nickname in high school haha, I embrace it :)

You and my DH are both Leos and "fiscally conservative" (ie, CHEAP). Nothing wrong with that, it helps balance out some of us who are emotional spenders/eaters/everything (🦀).

Hilton Devaluation - seems like some properties went up by 10k. Source

Booked a NYC hotel yesterday for a weekend in December, using the free night cert plus points. The property I booked (Millenium Times Square) stayed the same at 80k, but a quick scan shows that the floor for every other Manhattan property is 70k. I feel like there were a couple of 60k sprinkled in there yesterday but maybe that's just in my head.

Hello All!

My name is JJ and I joined the Disboards in May of 2017 to help with planning a family trip to DisneyWorld in October of 2017. The board was a treasure trove of useful info. I came across this thread a little over a week ago, and have been lurking, as the wife and I have been discussing more travel and the best way to do it for as little out of pocket money as possible. I cannot believe how fast this thread moves. I started reading the first few pages and the volume of information is like drinking from a fire hose. I tried to catchup on the last 100 or so pages to educate myself on the best ways to collect rewards for travel purposes.

A little background… We are a family of 4, myself, my wife, and 2 kids ages 12 and 10. My wife and I have been saving our Wells Fargo Rewards points to help pay for some travel. We liked to keep things simple with using one credit card to pay for almost all of our bills. If we had the option to have the bill paid via auto pay we would do it. We have come to the realization that the Wells Fargo Rewards program was just not earning us enough points for the travel we want to do.

I will post our current card situation and answers to the first page questions below. From what I have been able to read and learn, we are a fairly blank slate to start working with. I have been thinking of a bunch of questions to try to get us started and will ask some more as they come up.

My open cards
06/1997 Wells Fargo Rewards Card
06/2000 Wells Fargo Rewards Card – AU (Wife’s Card) – All purchases/most bills paid with this card.
03/2012 Sears Card

My closed cards
02/2002 Bank of America

Wife's open cards
06/2000 Wells Fargo Rewards Card – All purchases/most bills paid with this card.
10/2007 Target Card
11/2011 Sears Card
05/2017 Lowes Card

Wife’s closed cards
08/2000 Bank of America

What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)? $3000 - $4000
Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month? Yes
What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? Tucson/Phoenix AZ
Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? No
Does SOUTHWEST service your airport? Yes
Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? No, but have a Choice Privileges Rewards Program account.
Do you currently have any travel points in any program? Yes, Wells Fargo Rewards – 145,000
What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? Disney World Trip 2021, Cruise for 20 year anniversary 2022, European Trip 2025 ish.
Who does your travel party consist of? (Myself, Spouse, 2 Kids – age 12, 10)

Thanks for reading my long post. Any help and direction will be very much appreciated.
JJ

Me neither. I do not fit the description of Capricorn. Ultra conservative, over cautious and practical. Cracks me up!

I'm seeing a big gaping hole where a CIP should be!! And that doesn't even affect any plans for an Aspire!
He has x2 CIPs so do I! Was thinking of filling the personal spot. Like the idea of your Discover It off to investigate!
I’ve thought about Platinum so many times but I just can’t make it make sense for me. I don’t use Uber and it would be my luck that they would stop you from being able to buy GCs with the airline credit as soon as I get it lol. Right now it's between rose gold/Hilton/Marriott for me. Guess I'll see what kind of pop up I get.
Keep us posted on your pop up status!! All good choices love my PGR to dip into MRs
Dh was instantly approved for citi biz #2!! After blowing through all our AA points for our Aug trip, we are back on the train and earning points for our 2020 trip. Feels good to not be time pressured like we were for Aug 😁
Nice!!!!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...inibar-family-says/ar-AACCPBy?ocid=spartanntp
Several more very similar deaths in the Dominican Republic are coming to light.
Scary our beloved David Ortiz was just shot there!!!
Ugh, our AC went out yesterday morning and the HVAC guy just called me and said he can't make it until Wednesday or Thursday! He said they're so booked it's "unbelievable." I'm sure he's right. I swear I should have gone into HVAC instead of law school.

Of course my mom is like "you should just call someone else, forget your warranty." Yeah, I'll just pay $45 a month for the warranty, plus the $125 I've already paid for the service call, and then pay $600 for the new part to someone else who could MAYBE get there tomorrow instead of Wednesday. That makes sense. :sad2:
It’s not too hot yet? Right?
Thanks for posting this @miztressuz!

I would add that if anyone is booking a paid reservation at a Hyatt, remember that Hyatt has a Best Rate Guarantee. So it could really pay off if you do a little research and price comparison on a site like Trivago when booking with Hyatt. If you find a better rate on another site, Hyatt will match that lower rate and offer you a choice between either 5,000 World of Hyatt bonus points or a 20% discount on the room rate.

Note that in order to submit a claim, you must first have a confirmed reservation booked with Hyatt.com that is for the same hotel, same type of room, same number of guest, same dates of stay, same length of stay, same guarantee and cancellation policy, and be booked under the same conditions as the third party site. And all claims must be submitted within 24 hours of booking on Hyatt.com and meet the Hyatt.com Best Rate Guarantee Terms.

See: Hyatt Improves Best Rate Guarantee (Now 20% Off Or 5,000 Hyatt Points) - DoC

And directly from Hyatt:
https://www.hyatt.com/info/best-rate-guaranteehttps://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/best-rate-guarantee.html
Wanted to chime in I did this with Hilton. Saved my friend almost $400 for 3 nights at VA beach. It was super easy - sent an email and a few sceeenshots. Of course our room was booked on points!!!!

Hello All!

My name is JJ and I joined the Disboards in May of 2017 to help with planning a family trip to DisneyWorld in October of 2017. The board was a treasure trove of useful info. I came across this thread a little over a week ago, and have been lurking, as the wife and I have been discussing more travel and the best way to do it for as little out of pocket money as possible. I cannot believe how fast this thread moves. I started reading the first few pages and the volume of information is like drinking from a fire hose. I tried to catchup on the last 100 or so pages to educate myself on the best ways to collect rewards for travel purposes.

A little background… We are a family of 4, myself, my wife, and 2 kids ages 12 and 10. My wife and I have been saving our Wells Fargo Rewards points to help pay for some travel. We liked to keep things simple with using one credit card to pay for almost all of our bills. If we had the option to have the bill paid via auto pay we would do it. We have come to the realization that the Wells Fargo Rewards program was just not earning us enough points for the travel we want to do.

I will post our current card situation and answers to the first page questions below. From what I have been able to read and learn, we are a fairly blank slate to start working with. I have been thinking of a bunch of questions to try to get us started and will ask some more as they come up.

My open cards
06/1997 Wells Fargo Rewards Card
06/2000 Wells Fargo Rewards Card – AU (Wife’s Card) – All purchases/most bills paid with this card.
03/2012 Sears Card

My closed cards
02/2002 Bank of America

Wife's open cards
06/2000 Wells Fargo Rewards Card – All purchases/most bills paid with this card.
10/2007 Target Card
11/2011 Sears Card
05/2017 Lowes Card

Wife’s closed cards
08/2000 Bank of America

What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)? $3000 - $4000
Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month? Yes
What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? Tucson/Phoenix AZ
Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? No
Does SOUTHWEST service your airport? Yes
Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? No, but have a Choice Privileges Rewards Program account.
Do you currently have any travel points in any program? Yes, Wells Fargo Rewards – 145,000
What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? Disney World Trip 2021, Cruise for 20 year anniversary 2022, European Trip 2025 ish.
Who does your travel party consist of? (Myself, Spouse, 2 Kids – age 12, 10)

Thanks for reading my long post. Any help and direction will be very much appreciated.
JJ
Welcome and glad you came out lurkdom! Yes you are both 0/24 which is great. Do you have a specific trip you are planning? Most will say chase UR is a good start. If you are ok applying for a business cards you can get a nice start quickly. The CIP is $5k spend in 3 months which sounds like you could do that with your current spend. I use multiple cards for different spends to maximize the earning. If you had to pick one card only I’d do the CSR since it would cover most of my spend.

Last edited:
In a credit card planning fail, we are heading to Disney Thursday with no MSR to meet. My husbands Citi Biz was met last week with Plastiq and I had put off the CIP2 for both of us because I didn’t want to overextend and tuition isn’t due till July.
If I apply now for a CIP2, is there any way to expedite? Since it’s number 2, will that attract unneeded attention?

They definitely can be expedited..SM...but you may not receive it by Wednesday even if you are auto-approved today

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter