• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see DHs CIP in the mail today!

@wendow yup we are still with inlaws. It really has worked out better than I could have thought, but I'm starting to hit stir crazy point where I don't want to do the smart thing anymore :) It's just feeling cramped now and we're ready for our own space. But then we don't know that we want to stay here long term either. Ugh decisions...

@GlamMistress That sounds awful.
Right now we have really low obligations since we live with my inlaws, as wendow said. 80% of our current income for the year has gone to retirement savings, house fund, emergency fund, and paying down the vehicles (just DHs now, mine is done). We also used the opportunity to pay off our student loans too, all to put us in a better position. It's frustrating because this shouldn't be a bad job, it's not too hard or stressful outside of all the hours :crazy: it has great benefits, lots of PTO, really cheap health insurance, great maternity leave, nice 401k match, free pet food/treats sometimes. It's just all the weekends (and the stupid scheduling when someone is on vacation like this - a lot of that is the fault of my supervisor, who leaves at the end of the month anyways).

I'm going to keep looking for other options after the trip. We also just got a new department manager, I worked with her as our assistant manager until she went to work for corporate for the last 1.5 years. I think she will be a huge improvement over the dept managers we have had while I was here. And my supervisor that is leaving was a terrible manager, honestly, she had no experience and just got handed the job and didn't get anything done in the last 1.5 years but make things worse (but she thinks she is great and is trying to set stuff up how she wants it before she goes). She was good as just a senior position in the department, but not leadership material. My new manager has scheduled one on ones with everyone, and I feel like just being honest with her that I am looking at other places, because I feel like I'm being punished for being a good employee. Because that's how I feel now. It's not the job duties itself, it's being worked up to the limit when no one else is, because I show up/am on time/do my work.... being held back by the supervisor that is leaving because she wasn't interested in letting any of us move up or learn more (like me, being the senior employee in my group...) she was interested in what was easiest for her. And that was keeping me in my current position to take care of everything here like I'm a supervisor... hi I'm not the supervisor, so I just do my work and it's your problem if people aren't doing their jobs, I'm not policing them for you :rolleyes: And we had two supervisor jobs in our dept, basically she talked the last dept manager into giving her one and then they interviewed for the other. This is going to sound bitter, but I truly believe that my supervisor played a big part in me not getting the other role... because if I walked out of my job back then to something else (or even if I did today) a whole bunch of things would be lost or not done or messed up because others aren't trained/experienced... but I do feel like I can be honest about these feelings with the new manager... while I keep job hunting...

Hello everyone! I’m in charge of planning a last minute trip mid next month that my grandparents want for my brother who’s going off to college.I know everyone wants to do MK but my brother and father want to do Uni. I’m trying to get Disney down as much as possible so we can do both. I’m going to need $2500 worth of DGC. I’m just going to go ahead and buy them. I have so much stuff I plan on buying any way with DGC. So I’m looking for a credit card to go ahead and buy them.

Debt
I still haven’t gotten a new card since 2015. I only have 2, 1 from WF and 1 store card. Just when I was going to apply I got hit with a collection a few months back. My mom’s card had gotten stolen and she thought once the new card arrived payments will continue. She was using it to pay off one of my MRIs that cost $1500 in 3 installments. First 2 were already paid when the card got stolen. There are literally 10 numbers to reach me listed but the lady kept calling the one that recently got disconnected. She also lied and told the collection agency she couldn’t get in touch with me. Which is a lie because I called multiple times to get a prescription for meds and they could’ve mentioned it then. Since I’m 21 I get hit with the collection and -30 points off my credit score. Is there anything I can do? I will pay it but I want it off my report.

Other than that collection I still have my store card that doesn’t impact my score for some reason. I got it below the limit but used the money I was saving on paying it all off to pay my other medical bills so a collection won’t happen again. My WF card limit got doubled so I loaned it to my parents to help with some medical bills and they’re paying it off before the billing cycle so that’s fine .

If you are 21 and do not have a great credit score then you might be limited in what Credit card you can get. Maybe a Chase Freedom and buy at least $1500 of them from a grocery store this month which will get you 5x points. That would get you $150 back on the sign up bonus plus $75 back on the $1500 of tickets at the grocery store. I am not sure what next quarter will be, but maybe you can wait to see if you can buy the remaining during the next quarter's bonus category. If not, you would still get $10 back (1% of the $1000) for that spend. There are links for the Freedom on Dischurners.

Yes, we do have APs. And SW companion pass!

I haven't been since I was a child. My kids will be 4 and 6 - is that too young? Where have you stayed? It seems like it's too far from N. Conway and no place to stay on points!
Chiming in. We always stayed in Loon mtn area (lincoln) It’s about 45 min to SV but it’s cheaper and less congested than Conway. Grocery stores and restaurants. If you go to SV or Storyland after 3pm you can get in another day for free. I think there’s a holiday inn and prob some places on chase portal. Your kids are perfect ages for SV. Mine are way too old. You must get the donut holes too they are the best! If you stay in Lincoln there’s a place to explore caves called Lost River Gorge. It’s really beautiful up there. We went every year in December too. It’s cold (think layers) but magical. Truly.
Thanks for the info... Seems we have a bit in common. I don't mind starting a little slowly to get the hang of everything. Does anyone have an easy to follow spreedsheet for points tracking/card timing for opening new ones/closing out old ones?

I'll see if I can access the DISchurners page on Reddit from my work computer. We have quite a lot of sites blocked.
I think there are some flow sheets on Reddit. But truly there is no tried or true formula. Everyone has different goals and levels of comfort and spending habits. I’d start with a card you are comfortable with and post here and ask before applying.
PM @Lain and he can add you to Reddit group
I would do Santa's Village...get a nail ring and a nice gingerbread cookie you can decorate yourself. Don't forget your bathing suit for Ho-Ho-H20!
And those donuts are to die for and the elfabet game!!!
So I want to believe that AA GC report from this morning, but part of me wants to see the full date first! Kept hoping he/she would come back with a screenshot of that so we can see the year :laughing:

But it's promising. I tried checking the FT thread to see if there was any whispers there to confirm but I forgot how much I hate the navigation on that site. I think there hasn't been anything new reported on the GC front so this may be the first DP that it's back. (or a total fluke and OP got lucky. or it really is the long con game for fake internet points :p)
Is it rumored to be working on $50 ones again?

DH had to talk me down this morning. I went through the entire process of planning about a 48 hour trip to WDW specifically to attend Villains After Dark at MK. It is just EYE POPPING the ticket prices now. It was going to be $700 just for two adult party tickets and 2 one day hoppers. Insanity.

My protests: "But I have that much in Disney gift cards..."

DH: "Right and that is earmarked for our DCL cruise."

Sigh.

I did go to Cheesecake Factory today and used my Rose Gold credit for the month. We put in some new landscaping today too. So very busy. But no WDW trip on the horizon. 😥

Just catching up.

This is exactly how our impromptu trip to Disneyland last weekend for SWGE happened, but with very different results.

DW: It's so expensive!

DH: I have more than enough saved up in Disney gift cards.

DW: But those are for our Thanksgiving trip and Aulani.

DH: I've got lots of time to save up.

DW: Ok. Let's do it!

I asked my DW last night, "Are you glad we did this?" And she said, "Yeah, absolutely. I had a lot of fun." That's money well spent.

Does anyone know if I use a RMN offer for Amazon can I use a preloaded GC balance or do they need to see money spent on a CC? As I side note, does anyone ever get Ebates to work with Amazon? I have the "button thingy" (ha technical term) loaded on my PC and it pops up for every store as soon as I visit it. It never pops up for Amazon and I have to search for Amazon to even get it to show up. I never remember to even try it since it loads for every other store.

I thought so but you don’t need a paypal account to use it. And it’s basically designed for person-to-person payments.
I was banned from PayPal have Venmo use it all the time no problem so somehow they are separate entities
Ok thank I set up a Venmo a while ago but then saw it was related to Paypal and never used it.

Is your Venmo using the same info as your banned Paypal?

What’s the equation on figuring out the amount I have left to max out the freedom category? Giant is doing the 4x all gift cards except visa, MC, Amex, reloadable, and Giant cards. Got the teacher gifts but wondering how much I have left so I can max it out.

I did this accidentally on Friday night - bought gift cards at a Giant and then found out they were 4X. I went to my account and under Ultimate Rewards I clicked 'rewards activity' and added up my bonus earn starting from April 1 to present. My Giant also did not credit me with fuel rewards after a certain amount stating there was a gift card limit - I bought a total of $1200 - but did credit me once I went to customer service. I got 4800 fuel rewards or $30 off each of the next 3 fill ups of 20 gallons plus an additional $6 off a 4th fill.

Does anyone know if I use a RMN offer for Amazon can I use a preloaded GC balance or do they need to see money spent on a CC? As I side note, does anyone ever get Ebates to work with Amazon? I have the "button thingy" (ha technical term) loaded on my PC and it pops up for every store as soon as I visit it. It never pops up for Amazon and I have to search for Amazon to even get it to show up. I never remember to even try it since it loads for every other store.
RMN is not cc dependent. I've gotten cash back from other stores using giftcards, but I haven't done it at Amazon. I always try a portal with Amazon, but sometimes they don't pay out because there are so many restrictions. Make sure you disable your button thingy before going through RMN.
Edit: I may have missed this, but I noticed that RMN is having a double cash back promo. I just got 16% back for vitacost. :-)

So just figured out if I max out the 20 gallons of gas discount from giant I’ll get a 13% savings using the freedom.

ETA this is great since I was hesitant to get gift cards for the bus drivers. DD5 has 2 bus drivers, 1 teacher and 1 para educator. Then other two have 1 main teacher each and 1 bus driver.
I actually almost maxed out my one freedom. Now to make sure I Max out the other before Thursday

Does anyone here have the barclays arrival plus? Or have opinions on it.... Does anyone know of their points will credit against a Disney AP charge.

Here's what I am trying to do....get enough cash back (through bank bonuses and cc sign ons) to buy APs for our family of 4. Open to any other cash back cards with high sign ups. Was about to pull the trigger on the savour, but saw bonus went down from 500 to 300. Hearing the arrival plus may get pulled soon and $700 is pretty good.

I am 4/24, but really have all the chase cards I want/need. Only thing I would really consider would be CIP #2, but i don't know if I'm really brave enough to try.

Does anyone here have the barclays arrival plus? Or have opinions on it.... Does anyone know of their points will credit against a Disney AP charge.

Here's what I am trying to do....get enough cash back (through bank bonuses and cc sign ons) to buy APs for our family of 4. Open to any other cash back cards with high sign ups. Was about to pull the trigger on the savour, but saw bonus went down from 500 to 300. Hearing the arrival plus may get pulled soon and $700 is pretty good.

I am 4/24, but really have all the chase cards I want/need. Only thing I would really consider would be CIP #2, but i don't know if I'm really brave enough to try.
I am on my second. I have been told Disney ticket purchases will not credit as travel, so I am going to be a ticket through Undercover Tourist (which does credit) and then apply it toward my AP renewal.

So just figured out if I max out the 20 gallons of gas discount from giant I’ll get a 13% savings using the freedom.

ETA this is great since I was hesitant to get gift cards for the bus drivers. DD5 has 2 bus drivers, 1 teacher and 1 para educator. Then other two have 1 main teacher each and 1 bus driver.
I actually almost maxed out my one freedom. Now to make sure I Max out the other before Thursday

Yes, this what I figured. I also used the Rose Gold at 4% for the rest once I'd maxed out my Freedom.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...inibar-family-says/ar-AACCPBy?ocid=spartanntp
Several more very similar deaths in the Dominican Republic are coming to light.
Been reading these stories too. The DR govt better take this serious and figure out what’s going on! Scary.

i bought our tix from uct and used the Barclay bonus to erase the charges. Will upgrade those tix to APs and pay with discounted gcs I’m buying by cashing out URs.

i bought our tix from uct and used the Barclay bonus to erase the charges. Will upgrade those tix to APs and pay with discounted gcs I’m buying by cashing out URs.

Perfect! Thanks @wendow. That's would basically be my strategy. I just wasn't sure if tickets/APs through Disney would code the right way for them to "erase" the charges. Sounds like at least Undercovertourist does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter