I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hoping someone can answer a question for me. I tried to research but couldn’t find the answer. My Marriott Premier Plus card AF will post next month. DH’s Amex Spg AF just hit. Now that they are Bonvoy should we close one? keep them both? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

how much are those free nights worth to you? If not much, then cancelling would be ideal. if u think the free night is worth the AF, then it could be an idea to keep them.
edit: seems like i get jinxed a lot lately... lol

Yikes! I've never done anything with MOs, but I do think most POs allow you to buy them. My case was just an old fashioned buying a whole bunch of illegal stuff with cash, and then selling it for cash, and then buying more illegal stuff with that cash.

At least no one got physically hurt, but it was upsetting to me as this was basically a no crime country area that I've always felt safe in. And I know the people at the Post Office. But....money brings lots of problems.

My dd19 and a friend are going to WDW for a quick trip Nov 14-17. They really want to stay at Pop but there is absolutely nothing available. Is this a busy time period? Anyone know why Pop would be booked up already?

Yay!! This release suddenly has interest from me since WE ARE GOING TO UNIVERSAL IN NOVEMBER!!! :) :) My wife is allowing it as long as we get back early Tuesday AND I let her throw my daughter a swim birthday party at our Goldfish Swim School (so that’ll probably cost me $600+ but I’ll just cash out some URs against it and call it part of the trip expense 🤣)

Your wife has a great thing going!! She seems like an excellent negotiator.

But just want to mention that Daily Getaways still has Universal 3 day tickets....yikes who am I talking to?

Actually not sure if they are a deal or not as they are still available.

Thanks @WVMomof3 @Albort. How long do you have to use the free night? I’m guess one year? Also I used the Spg points to book 2 nights in Seattle this June. Would cancelling the card screw up my reservation at all?? I know you can’t apply for either of these cards again so I was tempted to keep them like some kind of churning memoir or something lol.

I’m hoping someone can answer a question for me. I tried to research but couldn’t find the answer. My Marriott Premier Plus card AF will post next month. DH’s Amex Spg AF just hit. Now that they are Bonvoy should we close one? keep them both? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Both cards have a $95 AF and will get you an anniversary gift of a Free Night certificate redeemable for award nights at Marriott properties up to 35k Marriott points/night. Do you think you can find a hotel to redeem those 35k FN certs at in the next year where the room rate is >$95? If so, you’re paying only the $95 AF for a room that might cost $200+, and that’s a good deal.

Currently, 35k/night is good for a stay at up to a Category 5 property. With peak pricing set to take effect later this year, Cat 5 properties will move up to 40k/night during peak times (and stay at 35k standard, and go down to 30k during non-peak). When this happens, that may affect when and where you can use these certs.

The 35k FN cert from the Chase card should deposit promptly on or around the card anniversary and give you enough time to cancel the card for a refund of the AF and still keep the FN cert. If you want a 35k FN cert to keep coming every year, then don’t cancel. Alternatively, if you want to upgrade the Marriott Premier Plus/Bonvoy Boundless to the Ritz-Carlton card, that’s an option too.

However, the 35k FN cert from the Amex card won’t deposit for about 6-8 weeks after your AF posts. Amex gives you 30 days from when the AF posts to cancel your card for a full refund. But if you cancel within those 30 days, you won’t get the 35k FN cert. So really, you need to ask yourself if the $95 AF is worth a 35k FN cert. A few more things to consider: the Amex SPG card has been discontinued, so you can’t sign up for that card anymore. Amex has a 5 Amex credit card limit, so keeping the SPG card fills up one of those slots. Alternatively, if you don’t yet have the SPG Lux/Bonvoy Brilliant, you might be targeted in the next year with an upgrade offer to upgrade your SPG card to the Brilliant, giving you an opportunity to earn more Marriott points without the need to open a new personal card and using a 5/24 slot (but an upgrade to the Lux/Brilliant will make you ineligible for the SUB on that same card product if you wanted to sign up for it separately later on). If you want even more Marriott points and don’t mind using a 5/24 personal slot, and you find yourself targeted for an upgrade offer on the SPG, you could sign up for the SPG Lux/Bonvoy Brilliant on its own first to get the SUB, then immediately accept the upgrade offer on the SPG to upgrade to the Lux/Brilliant for the upgrade bonus. This would mean taking on two $5k MSRs at the same time, but it’s a rare opportunity to double up on Marriott bonuses.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hmm, I told her to make sure it wasn't Jersey Week and she said she checked. I think they need to reevaluate their dates.

Veteran's Day is the Monday the 11th, so wouldn't that be the end of that week? I'm not sure, but I thought Jersey week was whatever week had Veteran's day.

Veteran's Day is the Monday the 11th, so wouldn't that be the end of that week? I'm not sure, but I thought Jersey week was whatever week had Veteran's day.
I think you may be right. They were originally going the weekend before but she looked up and it was veteran's day weekend so I suggested she move it. I don't think either of us realized jersey week went the whole week and following weekend!!

I think you may be right. They were originally going the weekend before but she looked up and it was veteran's day weekend so I suggested she move it. I don't think either of us realized jersey week went the whole week and following weekend!!
Well, looking it up, Jersey week is the week before Veteran's day. But may still be busy with people that took week off for Veteran's Day? Or cheerleading shows?

Thank you the link worked!! Unfortunately my application was denied.......... Maybe I had too many account opened last 3 months...... My credit score is over 830 so I don't know what else. How long should I wait to re-apply?
Barclay is super sensitive to too many recent inquiries. My dh was denied as well for this card. He'd gotten 3 cards in the last 4-5 mos (though 1 was a biz card). I think you have to wait 120 days to reapply :(

Well, looking it up, Jersey week is the week before Veteran's day. But may still be busy with people that took week off for Veteran's Day? Or cheerleading shows?
I knew it wasn't Pop Warner but wondered about maybe a cheerleading convention. If that is all it is, then it shouldn't affect park attendance too much. Bummer they cannot stay at Pop but I think one of the other values has been refurbed as well (thinking Movies...). So maybe the time period is still okay!

Barclay is super sensitive to too many recent inquiries. My dh was denied as well for this card. He'd gotten 3 cards in the last 4-5 mos (though 1 was a biz card). I think you have to wait 120 days to reapply :(

Thank you, I guess I'll have to try again much later once I'm done with getting other cards.

How many inquiries are bad in terms of getting a new card (non-Barclay). When my husband leased a car (May 2018), Chase did 2 hard inquiries in different days, which really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter