I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it do that even if you don’t have an employee card? This card is just me. I hope the payment goes to my card - the company card where the charges are showing has another 4 digits that aren’t my card. Will call at lunch and see what they say.

It does. When thr statment card it made thr single emp card bal 0 and then moved it to the company account. I think it was one of the things BofA advertised when you sign up for the card, see all emp cards in one spot, make one payment. I much prefer the way amex does the biz card since it's all in one spot, not splitting. Only have one card for them too. I'm guessing chase is similar since no one complains about it.

Barclays personal card is fine, as is BofA, so I don't understand how they muck up the biz.

Has anyone activated an employee card with the Barclays AA Biz? Of course the automated system won't work, says the card number doesn't match the system.
It's weird, you need to put in the main card number first and then should have an option to activate the employee card. I'm sorry, can't remember who posted that. Or apparently you can just use it without activating, which is what some did (including myself).

I just saw your instagram update and what in the holy heck was that giant cloud of cotton candy?!
I follow Patrick Dougall on Instagram and I saw he got one there so I had to get one lol. We got the one with just 3 flavors but the biggest one had 6! For anyone not on Instagram I’ll put the picture on this post.

ETA: can someone tell me how to turn my picture? Idk why it keeps turning all of my pictures now

Attachments

• 997C124B-3495-49AC-80F8-8B0061C3630C.jpeg
    997C124B-3495-49AC-80F8-8B0061C3630C.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 30
This is kind of fun.

May Recap:
Got 100k points for upgrade to Bonblech Brilliant (still $200 to go technically, but have until 6/26)
40k Citi AA Biz miles posted for DH
$300 Chase checking bonus for DH
85k URs from DHs CIP 2 posted
40k URs from referrals for both of our CIP 2s posted
Barclays AA Biz cards for both of us approved
Booked MCO Hyatt for next month transferring URs, ~1.8cpp

June Plan:
CIP 3 for DH
AMEX Plat for DH
Should get DHs 20k Citi AA match
Should get 91k URs from my CIP 2 (cause I got some 3x Plastiq)
Should get $10 mobile deposit bonus from BoA, then will close that checking account
Should get DHs AA Biz bonus, maybe mine depending on statement cut - 75k AA miles each
Finish using ILs CSR travel credits and close cards
Close DHs CIP 1
Close my SW biz after getting anniversary points
Upgrade my SW Plus to Priority after fishing for retention offer
Put at least $6k towards car loan using Plastiq FFDs - CIP 3 and my Barclays AA Biz

You’re in luck, because several of us are planning Japan trips in 2020 and 2021. This thread helped @Haley R, who is in Japan right now, accumulate enough points for business class flights on ANA from LAX to Tokyo and a stay at the Hilton Tokyo Bay for her visit to Tokyo Disneyland within a few months time starting just over a year ago.

However, the game is constantly changing, what cards and bonuses available today may not be tomorrow, everyone earns points at different rates, and the availability of certain redemptions may go up in price. For your best shot at getting the flights and hotels you want, we usually suggest having your points in place a year before your travel dates. For late 2020 or 2021, you’re in good shape. But if you’re eyeing sakura season in late March through early April, know that’s the most popular time for travel to Japan and that may make finding award space on flights and hotels more challenging.

• How many people will be in your travel party?

• What parts of Japan are you planning to visit?

• Do you have a spouse or some other partner who is willing to sign up for credit cards and work on bonuses too?

• Do you have a business or any side gigs (e.g., selling stuff online, selling crafts or baked goods, babysitting, pet sitting or dog walking, tutoring, consulting, independent contracting, driving for a ride share, etc.) that might qualify you for a business credit card? If not, did you have one in the past or could you say you have any plans to start one?

• Would you and any partner be willing to open up business credit cards?

• Would you be interested in joining DISchurners, our private Reddit group, where we share more in depth tips, links to credit card offers, and recap the news and discussion to help you keep up with this fast moving thread?

To open up your options, you may need to take a positioning flight from PHX to LAX, but it sounds like you’re ok with that.

There are lots of points “currencies” (or programs) you can work on to earn miles for your trip. Two of the big ones with lots of points on the table for you to earn are Chase’s Ultimate Rewards (“UR”) and Amex’s Membership Rewards (“MR”). Both are flexible points currencies that can be cashed out, redeemed for travel on their respective travel portals, and most importantly in your case transferred points to points/miles to various other airline and hotel travel partners. Chase URs transfer to United (UA), which flies from LAX to NRT/HND, and Virgin Atlantic (VS), which you can use to book partner awards on ANA that’ll take you to Tokyo. With United’s recent announcement that they’re moving to dynamic award pricing later this year, the VS -> ANA route is a better value in that it’ll require you to earn and spend fewer points. @Haley R actually focused on earning oodles of UR, transferred them to VS to book her business class flights on ANA. Amex’s Membership Rewards similarly transfers to Virgin Atlantic, which you can use to book partner awards on ANA, and there’s a transfer bonus going on through 7/1/19, which means for every 1,000 points you transfer from MR, you’ll get 1,300 miles with VS (instead of the usual 1,000). Unfortunately, you may not be able to take advantage of this transfer bonus given the short time frame, but these bonuses come around periodically. Amex MR also transfers to ANA directly, and as I mentioned before it is a good value in itself. You did mention you’d like to fly JAL. Neither Chase nor Amex transfer to JAL, but an alternative is to earn American Airline (AA) miles to redeem for partner awards with JAL. @DisneyMandC is doing this for her flights to Tokyo for next year’s Summer Olympics.

As you can see, you have a lot of options. But where to start? If you saw my post from last night about developing a strategy early on, then you need to play your cards very carefully. You said you’re 1/24 with a Cap1 card. You’ve got 4 slots to play with. If you’re open to business cards, you can get much more than 4 cards and still be in the game with Chase. As you might have read, Chase has some of the most lucrative signup bonuses (SUBs) with their Ultimate Rewards earning cards. But they also have one of the most stringent rules to prevent people from getting their cards if they’ve gotten too many other cards from them or other issuers. That’s the “5/24 rule” — Chase will deny you for any of their cards if they see from your credit report that you’ve gotten 5 or more cards from any issuer in the past 24 months. However, if you’re willing to sign up for business cards, the good news is most issuers don’t report business cards to your personal credit report so Chase doesn’t see them on your credit report and won’t add the business cards against your */24 count. This gives you a lot of room to play your cards right! Chase’s 5/24 rule is why we suggest prioritizing Chase’s cards first, while you’re still under 5/24, because going willy nilly and getting personal cards from other issuers (e.g., Amex, Citi, Barclays, BofA, Cap1) will blow your */24 status in no time and lock you out of Chase for at least two years. (You can still, generally, get business cards from other issuers, as long as they don’t report their business cards to your personal credit report. And we can tell you which ones are safe.) It’s important to consider both the short and long term in developing a strategy because this Japan trip hopefully won’t be your last travel hack; you said you’d like to go to WDW too. Points can take you there and elsewhere for significantly reduced out of pocket costs.

You already have the Chase Freedom (“CF”) which is a good start. Are you maximizing the 5% category this quarter by activating the category and using the CF at grocery and home improvement stores? The CF actually earns its cash back in the form of UR points that can be cashed out. So you may already have UR points that you don’t even know about. However, a better use for them would be to get one of Chase’s more premium travel cards, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve (“CSR”), Chase Sapphire Preferred (“CSP”), and the Chase Ink Preferred (“CIP”) so you have the ability to combine your URs from spending and SUBs and transfer them to one of Chase’s travel partners, like Virgin Atlantic.

Another Chase travel partner that should be on your radar is Hyatt, which has several ah-mazing properties in Tokyo and often is an incredible value when you transfer UR -> World of Hyatt points. Just for example, during sakura season, when you’ll see some peak cash pricing, the Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills runs ~$650/night and the Park Hyatt Tokyo, made famous by Lost In Translation, runs ~$900/night, but both are bookable for “only” 30,000 Hyatt points per night (and that’s for Hyatt’s high end categories; lower tier properties will cost less). UR points transfer to Hyatt 1:1, so that’s 30,000 UR, or only $300 if you had cashed out the UR for cash. Chase also has a Hyatt credit card that can earn you (currently) a 50,000 Hyatt points SUB and hotel loyalty status (but again, you need to be under 5/24 to be eligible).

I know some of these numbers may not make much sense to you right now, and I’ve tried not to overwhelm you with too many numbers right off the bat. But just look at the SUBs for some of Chase’s cards: the CSR has a 50,000 UR SUB; the CSP has a 60,000 UR SUB; the CIP has an 80,000 UR SUB; two other Chase business cards, the Chase Ink Cash (“CIC”) and the Chase Ink Unlimited (“CIU”) each have 50,000 UR SUBs. You can run up a lot of points by getting all of these cards! But keep in mind there are rules to applying for these cards, but if you’re willing to listen and learn, we can walk you through how to get all of them, maybe even more than once, while you’re still under 5/24. And if you get a partner involved, you two can double up on these cards, and refer each other for more “support” bonuses, then combine your URs to make some big redemptions.

I’ll leave it here for now. Get back to me with answers to some of my questions and we can better help you. And please please please “watch” this thread, ask a lot of questions and we’ll answer the best we can, stay involved and just chat with us so we can learn a little more about you and we can better tailor our advice, use us as a sounding board for your plans, read and learn from other people’s posts whether they’re about Japan or addressed directly to you or not.
@ten6mom Along with what @Lain said (which was a lot of really great info!) we were able to have enough points for a 6 night stay in Kyoto, a one night stay in hakone, a one night stay in LA before our flight, and round trip tickets through southwest to LAX. We are staying in an Airbnb for 5 nights and used all discounted gift cards. Most of the discounts were between 10-15% off for the gcs.

The big cards we applied for that helped the most were the Chase sapphire reserve (personal card), chase ink preferred (business card), Amex Hilton honors (business card), and Southwest (business card). Only one of those cards counts against our 5/24 limit with chase so we were able to get a lot of points with only one being put on our limit.

I’m not sure if you’re dedicated to JAL but ANA is amazing and the business class seats lay completely flat which was great. I don’t know much about the JAL conversions and what their seats look like. We booked through Virgin Atlantic like @Lain said. We transferred our URs to them and I called to book the seats. The only hard part was we couldn’t see the availability because they were going through ANA and they only set aside so many seats each flight for partners. We used 90k miles each compared to the 150k United wanted and that was before they switched to this new system. So that’s comparing 180k to 300k total for the two of us which is a huge difference.

Let me know if you have any questions. I’m more than willing to help out since all of these great people helped me!

Friendly reminder:

Southwest Airline’s next schedule release will occur TOMORROW morning (Thursday 5/30). This release goes through Jan 5th and covers Thanksgiving and Christmas. In my experience, flights typically go “live” between 7am and 9am Eastern. This release date has been moved multiple times but tomorrow has been consistently published for the past 2 weeks.

THE TRAIN ROLLS ON :D :D :D

Mrs. SouthFayetteFan,
Congratulations, you've been approved!
We're delighted to let you know you've been approved for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card, with a credit limit of $20,000. Your account is considered open as of today, 05/29/19.

80,000 more AA miles - here we come!!! (I did the 75k/$5k MSR offer via a mailer code I was able to obtain from a churning group I'm in).

Now it's time to test drive the Plastiq HELOC MS strategy :) If I can fuel the train of grAAvy via that method, I can use my regular spend to keep drinking from the cup of CIPpy!

YES! I just checked my SO's too and he was approved 80,000 more AA miles for us too!

Friendly reminder:

Southwest Airline’s next schedule release will occur TOMORROW morning (Thursday 5/30). This release goes through Jan 5th and covers Thanksgiving and Christmas. In my experience, flights typically go “live” between 7am and 9am Eastern. This release date has been moved multiple times but tomorrow has been consistently published for the past 2 weeks.

I'll be booking my flights for my wedding :-) I have to book most of my family too. I got my dad, granny, and MIL CSP's and they will be using those points to cover their flights, but I have to walk them through it and just do it for my Granny lol.

Been working on filling in the details of our Iceland/Scotland trip. Booked an ice cave tour out of Vik with URs last night. From the reviews, sounds like we'll also see where the opening scene for Rogue One was filmed and a cave entrance shaped like Yoda. :laughing:

The meeting point for the tour is also where the Icelandic Lava Show is. This is less than a year old and probably wouldn't have come up on my radar if not for booking the ice cave tour. It looks super cool. They'll have molten lava and do demonstrations with it. I'm looking forward to seeing threads of volcanic glass form. It's called Pele's hair in Hawaii. I was fascinated when I saw it at the museum in Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. Tried to book it with my Plat to keep AmEx happy, but got an error. Figured out they don't take AmEx. Would help if they put what cards they take on the website, lol. So put it on my CapOne Venture and luckily it's showing up as travel, so I'll be able to "erase" it. :)

The kids wanted to go to Toys R Us in Iceland since they're sad all the ones here closed. Even though I said they probably can't buy anything (too expensive and/or too big). But just saw on their FB page that their store closing sale was last month. Now store's re-branded as something else. Oh well.

Last edited:
June Plans:
- Cancel my CIP 1 once the AF posts
- Apply for CIP 2 for me using DH's support link

Plan on doing this as well for my DH in June. How long are planning to wait between cancelling CIP1 and applying for CIP2? I don't think it matters, but just wondering your game plan. Thanks!

Can I close a PNC account online? I can't find a way to send a message them but I feel like someone said they sent a message to close.

Plan on doing this as well for my DH in June. How long are planning to wait between cancelling CIP1 and applying for CIP2? I don't think it matters, but just wondering your game plan. Thanks!

I'm thinking probably about a week or so, but honestly that's just to space out some time between MSRs. I need to finish my Citi AA Biz MSR which I still have over $1000 left to do, but I also want to get CIP in time to put my Olympics tickets on that, so I'll need that card no later than June 26. My AF should post on CIP 1 on June 2, so I'm thinking cancel immediately and maybe apply for CIP 2 on June 10ish?

I'll be booking my flights for my wedding :-) I have to book most of my family too. I got my dad, granny, and MIL CSP's and they will be using those points to cover their flights, but I have to walk them through it and just do it for my Granny lol.
Yay!! This release suddenly has interest from me since WE ARE GOING TO UNIVERSAL IN NOVEMBER!!! :) :) My wife is allowing it as long as we get back early Tuesday AND I let her throw my daughter a swim birthday party at our Goldfish Swim School (so that’ll probably cost me $600+ but I’ll just cash out some URs against it and call it part of the trip expense 🤣)

Yay!! This release suddenly has interest from me since WE ARE GOING TO UNIVERSAL IN NOVEMBER!!! :) :) My wife is allowing it as long as we get back early Tuesday AND I let her throw my daughter a swim birthday party at our Goldfish Swim School (so that’ll probably cost me $600+ but I’ll just cash out some URs against it and call it part of the trip expense 🤣)

Don't forget to book your flights for my wedding too. I need a videographer remember lol

Can I close a PNC account online? I can't find a way to send a message them but I feel like someone said they sent a message to close.

Not a help for the online question but I just closed my accounts with a quick phone call and it was painless. Received 4 separate snail mail confirmations a few days later (I guess each of those virtual accounts has it’s own number and I had savings as well).

1-888-PNC-BANK

Suggestions for a warm, family friendly, short (5 days) vacation in October? My plans for December Costa Rica have been scrapped but I am still holding out hope for a short getaway in the fall.

Ugh! I hate when cashiers and managers make up their own rules (or even laws! and accuse us of breaking federal money “laundry” or some other made up laws). This happened at a Lowe’s near me late last year, after I had been going there for months buying $100 and $200 third party GCs with no problems using my credit card to slowly use up Amex Offers. Yes, I’ve had a Lowe’s cashier accuse me of “money laundry,” said debit or cash only, that I can’t buy “credit” with “credit,” couldn’t understand I was trying to buy a GC not a prepaid card, insisted no stores allow buying GCs with credit cards. The stupid thing was she pointed to a sign that only said GC purchases of $200 or more need manager approval, which had nothing to do with our conversation and didn’t necessitate her accusing me of a federal crime of her own making. Thing is, she couldn’t even find a manager on duty so she just asked another drone in the next lane. I don’t bother with that location anymore.

I didn't have to go through what you endured, but I definitely will be trying another location if I get another $$ off offer. I've slowly been working down my Amex offer at Lowes and also have it on my Bank America Amtrak for up to $13 off - spend $130. I've also got a $10 of $50 coupon for Lowes and I need a few items. So I'll do those together and spend $140, probably $75 of which will be gift cards as the $10 of $50 doesn't count on gift cards. Scratch that - smarter to do 2 transactions, and just use the same card for both to do the BOA. I can just delay the Amex offer and use it on regular stuff until close to the end of June when I will close out the last bit with gift cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter