I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how often the Southwest Card offers the 40,000 points? It would be enough to cover the rest of our flights but not flying until next March so I don't want to pay the annual fee twice.

I think 40,000 is the lowest offer I have seen. There are links on this thread for 50,000. If you are flying in March, you would likely be buying well before then so definitely could cancel after your year if you no longer need it. The points go into your SW account and have nothing to do with keeping the card.

Nothing here on our cards :sad:

Same here :(

I did get a Caribe Royal Orlando offer, don't know anything about the place, but ya know, Orlando :)
Get a one-time $50 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $250+ on room rate and room charges at Caribe Royale Orlando from 3/18/19 to 9/18/19

And a couple new restaurant ones as far as I can tell. They all start looking a like and I can't remember what's new and what was there before.

With all the talk of different pronunciations, has anyone ever taken this NY Times dialect quiz?

It's super accurate (for me at least) and really interesting to see some of the different crazy terms I've never heard before.

Mine said I was from Kansas. I have never even been in Kansas. lol My formative years were spent in 2 very different areas (Ohio/Mississippi), so maybe I am an anomaly.

Last edited:
With all the talk of different pronunciations, has anyone ever taken this NY Times dialect quiz?

It's super accurate (for me at least) and really interesting to see some of the different crazy terms I've never heard before.

I love these kinds of things. It correctly nailed me as being from the Baton Rouge-New Orleans-Mobile area. Family raised in New Orleans and I was born there, but there's enough influences from the other two cities where I grew up to pick up on the other stuff.

I especially love this question:

What do you call a drive-through liquor store?

My culture shock after first leaving Mississippi as a teenager was finding out the vast majority of people would answer I have never heard of such a thing. We have no specific word for a drive-through liquor store because they were ALL drive-through, so no distinction was needed.

Does anyone know how often the Southwest Card offers the 40,000 points? It would be enough to cover the rest of our flights but not flying until next March so I don't want to pay the annual fee twice.

The 40k offer is lower than what it was for a long time. Look at this chart to see the previous offers. Since you're not flying until next March, you could get a really good deal if you wait till the end of the year and apply for both a SW business card (60k pts) and a SW personal card (using the in-flight link for 50k pts). You'd be able to get a companion pass for the next 2 years that way.

Looking for advice..
This weekend my son (19) who said he'd never do another vacation..lol..said he'd like to go to Universal. We've never been so I am looking into my options. We will have a large spend ($2000-3000) for this trip. Which card would you recommend? I do receive a 1099 (from an after school club I run) so I am guessing that may count as a business???
We only have cards with no fee (with the exception of the barclay AA) so I am unfamiliar with how to best go about cancelling them (keep for one year?)
These are my current cards
Discover (09)
Barclay AA (10/18)
Chase disney (16)
Chase freedom (4/18)
Best buy store card (8/18)
I do have a few more store cards, but I've had them for quite a while.
My husband only got the Barclay last year. He has a few others but they are also a few years old (Discover & Blue Amex)
We have credit over 800 and he's a willing to open as well.
Thanks!

I hate to pile on, but I'd go for the CIP while Universal is still on the UR portal. If you can't normally spend 5k in 3 months, consider what you might be able to switch to a CC even if it has a small fee to do so. Think of it as a trip for the price of the fees, versus paying out of pocket. It should be a nicely discounted price then. The CIP has a $95 fee but you also get 1.25 cpp value on your UR when booking through the portal so your 80k sign up bonus is worth $1,000 towards Universal. As others have said if you refer DH, who's thinking strongly of starting up a business as well ;), you'd come out with at least 190k UR which is $2,375 through the portal, for $190 in AF OOP (+ any fees for meeting MSR).

How much of that 2-3000 estimate can be spent through Chase? You might not have to go that crazy but it's an option :)

I love these kinds of things. It correctly nailed me as being from the Baton Rouge-New Orleans-Mobile area. Family raised in New Orleans and I was born there, but there's enough influences from the other two cities where I grew up to pick up on the other stuff.

My culture shock after first leaving Mississippi as a teenager was finding out the vast majority of people would answer I have never heard of such a thing. We have no specific word for a drive-through liquor store because they were ALL drive-through, so no distinction was needed.

Must be a southern Mississippi thing, or recent. Because I can't think of anything like that in Jackson area when I was there. Actually, don't remember anything like that when visiting MIL either, but maybe we just don't buy liquor while there. lol

Did my taxes and owe about 2k, blah.

Has anyone used any of these credit card payment services? I usually e file with turbo tax and just let the IRS debit from my checking account, but this could help meet the minimum spend on the second cip I plan to apply for today.

I owed $400 ish..just filed Saturday with turbo tax and used a CC..I think the fee was 2.9%

When do you plan on going? Definitely the best answer would be for you to get a Chase Ink Preferred business card and then refer your DH to the same card. But the timing depends on how fast you each can spend $5000. It will net you 190,000 UR points after you each have spent $5000.

We are going in July or August of this year. I realize any points/miles I receive won’t be available for this trip, but it’s not often we are able to have a large spend in a short amount of time so that’s why I figured it was a good time to go for a new card. I’m expecting to spend between $2500-4000 on this trip and a beach trip we have planned in June. Those expenses plus our regular monthly spend can get us to close to $5000 over a 3 month period (June-August).

With the chase ink preferred do you pay the annual fee up front? If not, do I pay the first year fee after a year then cancel? As I said annual fees are new to me!

Also I have UR’s on my freedom. Am I able to move those over to the CIP?

Too funny! I have never seen this anywhere other than the Outer Banks, and they're called Brew Thru there. But VA doesn't have traditional liquor stores, only state-run ABC stores. So my results give me Richmond first (where I grew up and currently live), Virginia Beach (where DH is from) and then Charlotte, NC.

We are going in July or August of this year. I realize any points/miles I receive won’t be available for this trip, but it’s not often we are able to have a large spend in a short amount of time so that’s why I figured it was a good time to go for a new card. I’m expecting to spend between $2500-4000 on this trip and a beach trip we have planned in June. Those expenses plus our regular monthly spend can get us to close to $5000 over a 3 month period (June-August).

With the chase ink preferred do you pay the annual fee up front? If not, do I pay the first year fee after a year then cancel? As I said annual fees are new to me!

Also I have UR’s on my freedom. Am I able to move those over to the CIP?

Yes, you pay the fee up front, probably on your first or second statement. And yes, at this time, all URs can be combined within household into one account. They do not automatically combine, but you can move them.

Did my taxes and owe about 2k, blah.

Has anyone used any of these credit card payment services? I usually e file with turbo tax and just let the IRS debit from my checking account, but this could help meet the minimum spend on the second cip I plan to apply for today.

Not liking the tax bill, but loving your thinking about using this towards an MSR. Most people use pay1040 .com, which accepts credit card payments with a 1.87% fee. Good luck!

P.S. I'm still catching up here on the west coast and see this was answered. Sentiment stands!

Must be a southern Mississippi thing, or recent. Because I can't think of anything like that in Jackson area when I was there. Actually, don't remember anything like that when visiting MIL either, but maybe we just don't buy liquor while there. lol

100% a southern MS/LA thing. Not recent, they've been around as long as I was aware of what a liquor store was. I've never seen them too far north of I-10, though - although I feel like I remember a couple on the drive to Starkville, maybe in Meridian? One other thing we have is drive-through daiquiri shops, where you can get an alcoholic frozen ready-to-consume drink handed to you while you're behind the wheel. But, ah, MS/LA have an open container law, so as long as you don't remove the top on the cup - or take off the top of the paper covering the straw even if it's been inserted - congrats, it's legal!

One thing I've enjoyed since moving is talking to all of the worldly intelligent people I've met. It turns out that most of them don't travel to the deep South unless they have a reason to - and that's totally fair! So they ask me what Mississippi was like - oh, you know, football is huge, it's really hot, lots of farmland, and oh yeah, we have drive-through liquor stores and daiquiri shops. I get a lot of double-takes out of that.

The drive through liquor store thing was the funniest thing I ever heard when a comedian made a joke about it... thought it was unique, and crazy and wouldn't last long, until I heard later it's pretty common place in some states. That's what growing up in PA does for you, where it will never, ever be a thing (at least not in my lifetime) given liquor has to be bought in a completely separate store run by the state still. In fact, we call them State stores. If you want a bottle of Rum for that Coke, gotta hit the State store before Sunday (although, many are open on Sundays now - progress) Only in the last few years have we been able to buy wine and beer outside of a State store or beer distributor, and just in the last year that we can buy beer outside of a bar/restaurant in less than a case.

Yes, I look like a kid in a candy store when I go out of state and I see single beers for sale in a gas station, Target, Publix, you name it. It's a novelty every time. Not sure what'll happen if I come across a drive through one :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter