I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lain Love all the packing information. I'm an overpacker big time and DH has been nudging me towards getting more minimal. We took our Motherload and Motherload Jr on our last trip and I just love them. I'm considering getting Jrs for the kids but they still seem a little big. Is the professional slim smaller?

Trying to at least skim to stay caught up this week as it's our first week back to the homeschool grind and has been exhausting. A few notes about recent discussions:

My oldest is 13 and I don't plan on getting her a phone until 15 ish. Our situation is different since she is home most the day and we have a shared flip phone she can take when she is out.

Packing Cubes are where it's at! Last year everyone got a slim set stuffed in their stockings.

Costco clothes- My DH loves Kirkland jeans. Remember he's totally Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec... So a few years back I'm planning clothes for our annual family photos and I'm asking him what he wants to wear, thinking something nicer, he says dead serious " I'll wear my nice Kirkland's". 😂 Like they are some fancy brand jeans. I tease him about his fancy Kirkland jeans all the time now.

It all depends how many CCs you have. If you have the space, get the no fee hilton and signup, then downgrade the aspire to the no fee (you'll now have 2 no fee cards). Surpass-Aspire upgrade offer usually isn't around. It's no fee-aspire. And in that case, yes. Upgrade it (it'll likely only give you the option for the 1 year+ no-fee/former aspire) when you get the offer. Hit spend. Get bonus. Wait a month or two. Downgrade to no-fee again. Repeat. :)

WOW! GENIUS! I was going to do the Hilton Biz next as I'm waiting to hit that 5/24 in Nov. But I'm getting the damn pop-ups. Now I have to figure out how I want to play this game. As I have the following:
1-Delta Gold Biz
2-Amex Everyday
3-Hilton Surpass (free night)
4-Hilton Aspire
5-Open

I wanted the open slot to go to the Hilton Biz. I need to hit that 5/24 before I go for another personal. Thoughts? What's the best way to play this?

@Lain Love all the packing information. I'm an overpacker big time and DH has been nudging me towards getting more minimal. We took our Motherload and Motherload Jr on our last trip and I just love them. I'm considering getting Jrs for the kids but they still seem a little big. Is the professional slim smaller?

Trying to at least skim to stay caught up this week as it's our first week back to the homeschool grind and has been exhausting. A few notes about recent discussions:

My oldest is 13 and I don't plan on getting her a phone until 15 ish. Our situation is different since she is home most the day and we have a shared flip phone she can take when she is out.

Packing Cubes are where it's at! Last year everyone got a slim set stuffed in their stockings.

Costco clothes- My DH loves Kirkland jeans. Remember he's totally Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec... So a few years back I'm planning clothes for our annual family photos and I'm asking him what he wants to wear, thinking something nicer, he says dead serious " I'll wear my nice Kirkland's". 😂 Like they are some fancy brand jeans. I tease him about his fancy Kirkland jeans all the time now.
If there is an over packers anonymous group sign me up. I leave for the airport in 4 hours and trust me it's not pretty...and yes I do plan on wearing all seven pairs of shoes I brought. It is a 10-day cruise after all. :rolleyes:

That is very interesting! don’t have any hotel cards. I was thinking about getting one right before I joined this thread. Concentrating on the biz cards now but I am considering a Hyatt card too.
Hyatt is by far my favorite of the chains. No Personal hotel cards are worth the 5/24 spot in my opinion outside of the Hyatt. If you're a slow churner, a Marriott personal/Marriott Biz combo is good too. Then get AMEX versions in 2 years... if they still exist. 2 years is forever in this game.

As for Biz- Hilton Biz is a fine card to get, but you shouldve gotten it last month when it was elevated. :)

WOW! GENIUS! I was going to do the Hilton Biz next as I'm waiting to hit that 5/24 in Nov. But I'm getting the damn pop-ups. Now I have to figure out how I want to play this game. As I have the following:
1-Delta Gold Biz
2-Amex Everyday
3-Hilton Surpass (free night)
4-Hilton Aspire
5-Open

I wanted the open slot to go to the Hilton Biz. I need to hit that 5/24 before I go for another personal. Thoughts? What's the best way to play this?

After you've had them for a year, I'd cancel Delta Gold Biz and Everyday. Can't help with the popups, sorry :(

How long are you wanting to stay under 5/24? That's the crucial question on how to play the AMEX/hilton game or not.

Oh I have to laugh, I was looking at my billing statement for my Amex seeing what I needed to pay, and under my staples purchase it spells out $200 Visa Gift Card, LOL. I wasn't meeting a spend, just trying to make the Amex gods happy. I put other spends on them too. We'll see if the $$$$ spread across the 4 amex now makes the popup gods happy.

Ok, I give, I have to give them a try. Kind of embarrassed to admit but I currently use jumbo ziplocks. Is there a set or size that I should start out with? I'm on the road every other week, it's a grind. I welcome anything that can bring amazing into my life. Thanks
I bought a couple of cheap sets on ebay years back...they've held up just fine, I use different sizes for different items and can't travel without them anymore! usually fit three of diff. sizes into my carryon suitcase

No they didn’t lol. Dh just got his hair cut there last week

We always use the online check in for haircuts because the waits can get ridiculous.

I didn't know the place existed until I noticed it when filling up gas. And since it was empty the first time, I pulled in expecting similar.

Ok, it’s that time to look for new homeowner’s insurance. We’ve only ever had State Farm and Homesite through Geico. Any recommendations of insurers to try?
One thing I learned.... find a REAL person agent to work with. I did by accident a couple of years back... she has since found me the best coverage for our specific needs ,and has found rates with her company that I couldn't find myself online with any company.

I think I’ve been mistagged. You probably want @Andysol’s advice. :thumbsup2

I so don't understand reddit.

How do people get those two three-letter words? acronyms? next to their names? They seem amusing sometimes but IDK what they are!
Are you talking about r/churning? That’s just airport codes (and some people find funny ones) as flair is restricted on that sub. On our group DISchurners you can set your flair to be anything.

Hyatt is by far my favorite of the chains. No Personal hotel cards are worth the 5/24 spot in my opinion outside of the Hyatt. If you're a slow churner, a Marriott personal/Marriott Biz combo is good too. Then get AMEX versions in 2 years... if they still exist. 2 years is forever in this game.

As for Biz- Hilton Biz is a fine card to get, but you shouldve gotten it last month when it was elevated. :)

After you've had them for a year, I'd cancel Delta Gold Biz and Everyday. Can't help with the popups, sorry :(

How long are you wanting to stay under 5/24? That's the crucial question on how to play the AMEX/hilton game or not.

I wanted it while it was elevated! GRRRRRR! Is it back to lower again? The Delta Gold Biz and Amex are staying. I'm a delta hub, so I had the gold personal that I swapped out w/ the gold biz. (Cancelled the personal then did the biz). The delta is staying, LOL. The Amex Everyday has a $$$$ balance on it. I got it because it had a 0/0 balance offer. So that will be staying. The surpass stays for the free night.

I hit 5/24 in November. I'll apply for the CIP 12/19. My next card to clear 5/24 after that would be 5/2020. Once I get the CIP I don't have any personal I MUST get, though I really want more AA points, so I might hit up a Citi personal.

I feel like I'm kinda screwed in being able to pull this off. Grrrrrr.

I'm obviously a travel weirdo here.... when I started looking for cheap travel,that included my gear lol! All of my fave suitcases have been from Goodwill,(2 are spinners!) carryon sizes only. Spending a lot on gear is the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish with cheap travel LOL. We all use our straight up backpacks for personal item (Mine is an old Gap model that I bought and used a s a diaper bag 20 years ago,it's still going strong,and is 100% covered in travel patches,I love it!) and each of us drags our carryon bag everywhere we go.... I use packing cubes bought on ebay (straight from China) for about $7 a set...it's all in great shape..... I guess I'm 'old budget board' cheap:rotfl:

@smallsy are you planning on connecting through GSP or just driving. As you know, CLT is so much easier to get to than ATL from here. However, I have found the best fares for west coast, hawaii, and knternational are on delta. AA can compete with some US bound flights depending on where you are flying. AA also services more of the direct flights (over Delta) from GSP like to O’Hare, Dallas, DC, Philly, ect. so I think it depends on where you want to travel most. You could look at your next few trips and decide which is better now and switch down the line as needed. For example an AA direct from GSP to Philly to position for int. may be your best option, or if Disneyland is your next local Delta direct from ATL may be a better bet. I think we are lucky in our spot we have two major hubs to choose!

To add- both airlines have cards with fee bags, companion certs, priority boarding- so its more a matter of what line works best and then churning their lineup as needed for signups and perks

Yikes!!

Sitting in an AS lounge in SEA a few years ago I saw a soft sided bag that had been left behind on a nearby gate check chute. In the POURING rain. Not a plane in site, it was there for a good 20 mins before the next flight came in and it was removed... makes me wonder what the craziest baggage handling stories others have witnessed are?
Observing a similar situation caused me to purchase hard sided luggage in 2014 (Costco, 3 piece set--we only use the big one now when going to WDW when I have to pack food etc lol)
Another Tip: An interesting way to mark comments you've read is to just upvote every comment when you read it. Then you can easily see which ones you haven't read yet when you come back in.
Genius! :thanks:
So many Away bags at LAX tonight. It’s like I’m in NY
We had *5* Away bags on our parking shuttle to BWI last Friday :laughing:
It seems that DGD may just need a new pair of sandals.
Hey, I might need a pair!

I'm considering getting Jrs for the kids but they still seem a little big. Is the professional slim smaller?
Yes- it's smaller. But it's also about the same weight (maybe moreso) when empty. I'd go with the Jrs. for them. My oldest is skinny as a rail like me and looks like a turtle carrying it, but it's a backpack she can have through college and it's a lifetime warranty. It holds *way* more. Unless they need a laptop, skip the prof. slim altogether.
My youngest has the prof. slim jr., and while size-wise it works. It's still heavier and not as functional. Not an ideal backpack IMO unless again, a laptop is carried.

Good for you.

*Start of Rant*

Remember, it's not the phone that's the issue, but social media. A kid can get a phone when they're any age as long as it's just a form of communication via text or talk. There are almost no negative impacts from that. But social media is the primary reason for increased risk of metal anguish, depression, suicide and self-harm/mutilation. Especially for girls.

Jonathan Haidt (who authored the brilliant "The Righteous Mind") is a must-listen for parents. His book he came out with last year, "The Coddling of the American Mind" is very good. But specifically the psychological studies on social media.

Knowledge Project Interview:
Podcast:
https://fs.blog/jonathan-haidt/Youtube:

Joe Rogan interview w/ him. Joe's podcasts are certainly more geared for male audiences. Rogan also curses a lot, fair warning.

If nothing else, look at these graphs on this video and watch 1:18:25 through 1:34:02.

Back when social media came out (for those who have kids around 16-24), responsible parents thought supervision (shared log-in, being friends on their acct, etc) was enough to make sure it was used appropriately. At the time, we had no data or long-term knowledge on what damage social media created on young/impressionable minds.
Now we do have the data and it's clear: there is no excuse or reason for kids to have it. In fact, if you do, your kid has a higher chance of having a psychological disorder.

So... why do it? FOMO is a major reason, and a valid one. Exclusion can also impact emotional development negatively as well. Likely not as bad as social media can, but it is still negative.

It's got to be a joint effort and communication with other parents about creating a ban on social media until high school. If other parents band together, there won't be the FOMO involved. It should be treated like smoking; where parents all realize that, too, is a bad idea to let your middle schooler do.

The fact that those who created the technology and platforms don't let their own kids on social media should tell you everything you need to know.

*End Rant*

I'm a delta hub, so I had the gold personal that I swapped out w/ the gold biz. (Cancelled the personal then did the biz). The delta is staying, LOL.
Cancel the Delta Gold Biz and get the Delta Plat Biz. You can always downgrade back to the gold biz from the plat. Well... whenever you stop getting pop-ups that is. What a beating :(

Last edited:
I didn't know the place existed until I noticed it when filling up gas. And since it was empty the first time, I pulled in expecting similar.
I’ve been going there since I was a kid. My mom always took us there to get our haircuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter