I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I will share these with him.

We leave Friday. I finally got confirmation from the Holiday Inn Oakland for my reservation (double King accessible with 2 rollaways :) ). I'm getting the GoCard for each of us that includes 3 activities- Escape From the Rock cruise, 1 day Muni Pass and then we'll choose something on the fly (Aquarium or Academy of Science probably). Other than that just driving and walking around to see things. My health has plummeted this week so I'm needing to tone things down and not try to squeeze too much in.
I'm sorry about the health issues. Hopefully you can spend the upcoming week in relative calm so you don't have further problems. Curl up with a good book, a cup of tea, and take a nap! :hug:

@snugglebug - have you finalized your accommodations after the Hyatt fiasco? When are you coming again? I’ve been meaning to circle back with some touring help if you still need it before your trip. We’re heading down to Disneyland next week, so time is running out.

As for Korean BBQ. YAASSS!

In San Francisco, I can think of offhand:

YakiniQ (in Japantown, near a garage; all-you-can-eat grill your own BBQ with unlimited banchan; draws a line on weekends, but there’s a cute cafe downstairs where you can wait - try their sweet potato latte. Good food and excellent value at $22 per person for AYCE, and something like $27 if you want AYCE with the more premium meats.)

Han Il Kwan (in the Richmond, street parking, real authentic, high quality but a bit pricey. It’s something of a destination. Literally, bus loads of Korean tourists get dropped off for dinner here.)

And two new Korean restaurants are getting a lot of positive buzz and drawing long lines:

Daeho Kalbijjim (in Japantown pretty much right next to YakiniQ, heard really good things and is on our to try list, but we haven’t yet been.)

um.ma (Inner Sunset, right next to Golden Gate Park and near the California Academy of Sciences, Japanese Tea Garden, Music Concourse, DeYoung Museum. Really loved everything we tried here. It has a bit of a hip upscale vibe, very clean modern decor, hip hop music playing, and a back patio dining area that’d be nice on warmer nights. Food is rooted in authenticity, but has a contemporary feel.)

Santa Clara is kind of the Bay Area home of Korean BBQ, but it’s a bit far for me to travel and recommend.

Oakland has some really well regarded Korean restaurants, and the two that come immediately to mind is Jong Ga and Ohgane — both of which offer AYCE BBQ.

YakiniQ, Daeho Kalbijjim, um.ma, Jong Ga, and Ohgane are on Yelp Waitlist so get on that to cut your wait.

Hope this helps get you started. Check Yelp for pictures and reviews, and off course the waitlist.
Yumm makes me want to plan a vacation to San Francisco. Is it wrong that I prefer to plan my vacations around food. We did branch out and see Alaska and Grand Canyon but want to head to New Orleans for Spring break eating. We’re second guessing ourselves because I want to be budget friendly but know how much we eat in NOLA

All my VGC are in my Serve account now! I hit up the second WM this morning and did 3 swipes. So Friday afternoon is bad due to waiting on crowds. Saturday morning (9ish) is bad as there was only one cashier at first! I did her line, super quick. Hit the money center - slow but by then a second cashier line had opened so I did that. I still had one more to liquidate and decided to try out the FD that was on the way home. That worked as well.

Before WM, I had gone to the staples across the street. This one had some VGCs. I picked up two. Probably should have grabbed more as the cashier didn't even bat an eye that I got more than one.

$1200/6000 UR for just the cost of my time. Not bad for my first time out. Now waiting on verification of my bank on serve and will move it out. Is moving too quickly or all at once triggers for shutdown?

That is awesome for your first time. Even though you are comfortable now just remember things can change at anytime so don’t have too much in GCs. I do $1000s at a time because I have 12,000 due for a wedding soon and I could also float and use them for normal spend for a few months. If you are ok with that feel free to hit it hard. Also, I don’t think how quickly you move the money out is a reason for a shutdown. I think they know what we are doing and will shut you down no matter how long you have the money in there for. Just register for some backups.

I just got a mailer for the no-fee Disney Visa with the $200 statement credit after $500 spend. The terms show a fixed APR, and there is an invitation code.

I am currently about 9/24 (maybe more), and I have held both the Disney and the Disney Premier in the past (don't have either one now). The original no-fee Disney Visa I got probably close to 3 years ago, and earned the SUB in the first month. The Disney Premier I got on 9/06/2017, and likewise, I earned the SUB in the first month. It says on the mailer that I'm eligible for the SUB for this card as long as I don't already have the card and/or haven't earned the bonus for that card in the past 24 months.

1. Would I be eligible for this sign-up bonus since it's been almost 3 years since I earned a bonus on the no-fee Disney card?

2. Does the bonus on the Premier Disney card impact my ability to get the bonus on this no-fee Disney card?

3. Is this likely a pre-approval since I have the fixed rate and invitation number?

4. I'm anxiously awaiting getting back under 5/24 for a shot at the Ink Cash, but getting this card would only set me back a few weeks in getting to 4/24. Worth it? It's free money, right?

5. Any reason I shouldn't at least try?

Aquarium or Academy of Science probably

Which aquarium? Though unless something has changed there's only one I'm aware of. And if it's the one I went to 20 years ago in college skip it unless it's gotten better. @Lain is is better? I just remember tiny tanks at awkward levels and looking up at stufd.

I just got a mailer for the no-fee Disney Visa with the $200 statement credit after $500 spend. The terms show a fixed APR, and there is an invitation code.

I am currently about 9/24 (maybe more), and I have held both the Disney and the Disney Premier in the past (don't have either one now). The original no-fee Disney Visa I got probably close to 3 years ago, and earned the SUB in the first month. The Disney Premier I got on 9/06/2017, and likewise, I earned the SUB in the first month. It says on the mailer that I'm eligible for the SUB for this card as long as I don't already have the card and/or haven't earned the bonus for that card in the past 24 months.

1. Would I be eligible for this sign-up bonus since it's been almost 3 years since I earned a bonus on the no-fee Disney card?

2. Does the bonus on the Premier Disney card impact my ability to get the bonus on this no-fee Disney card?

3. Is this likely a pre-approval since I have the fixed rate and invitation number?

4. I'm anxiously awaiting getting back under 5/24 for a shot at the Ink Cash, but getting this card would only set me back a few weeks in getting to 4/24. Worth it? It's free money, right?

5. Any reason I shouldn't at least try?

I believe every Chase card is under 5/24 now (since November 2018).

Which aquarium? Though unless something has changed there's only one I'm aware of. And if it's the one I went to 20 years ago in college skip it unless it's gotten better. @Lain is is better? I just remember tiny tanks at awkward levels and looking up at stufd.

@snugglebug - Aquarium of the Bay near Pier 39? I agree with @afan - skip it. (It’s kind of sad.) We’re a bit spoiled by the Monterey Bay Aquarium — 2.5 hrs away — but the underwater exhibits at the California Academy of Sciences are pretty spectacular, and much nicer and natural to their ecosystems than what’s at the Aquarium of the Bay. If you’re interested in seeing some marine life, the Cal Academy has a large Phillipines reef exhibit showcasing colorful tropical fish and coral; another tank featuring fish, animals and plants native to the California coast; a flooded rainforest exhibit with Amazonian fish and flora that you can view from under a glass tunnel. There are many other things to see at the Cal Academy, including catching a show in the planetarium, see Claude the albino alligator, checking out the butterflies and plant life in the rainforest exhibit, take in the views of Golden Gate Park and the surrounding neighborhoods from the living roof, etc.

ETA: There is garage parking underneath the Cal Academy, but like many places in SF it is pricey. There is free street parking along MLK Jr Drive and Nancy Pelosi Drive, but a spot can be hard to find on weekends and may have you walking in from far away. I caution you again about car break-ins. Don’t leave anything of value in your car, especially if you’re parking out in the open, even in highly trafficked tourist areas.

The Cal Academy is on a loop that includes the DeYoung Museum right across it, the Music Concourse, and the Japanese Tea Garden (which is a worthwhile stop even with the small entrance fee). A very short drive from the Cal Academy along Nancy Pelosi Drive is the Conservatory of Flowers. Even if you don’t pay to go in, the greenhouse is this amazing example of Victorian architecture that’s worth seeing. Down MLK Jr Drive is Stow Lake, and if you’ve got an hour you could rent a boat and enjoy some time on the water. There are tons of other things to do in Golden Gate Park, especially if it’s a nice day.

I think you mentioned also wanting to check out Amoeba Music? It’s about a 5 minute drive from the Conservatory of Flowers side of the park, near the end of Haight Street. It’s pretty much street parking over there, but there is a Whole Foods with a parking lot right across the street (but you risk being towed if you’re spotted leaving the lot).

Last edited:
Yes, I realize that. I have read data points with people over 5/24 getting Chase mailers with fixed APR and applying and getting approved.
I went ahead and applied. Said they need to review more and will let me know ASAP. Not a flat denial, so...we'll see.

I'd be interested to know if you get approved so please report back! I've seen the reports of targeted mailers and approvals too. On r/churning here lately it seems like most people ended up getting denied. I never get targeted for anything at Chase. 🤷‍♀️

I'd be interested to know if you get approved so please report back! I've seen the reports of targeted mailers and approvals too. On r/churning here lately it seems like most people ended up getting denied. I never get targeted for anything at Chase. 🤷‍♀️
I'll be sure to report back. I'm expecting to be denied, and was kind of amazed to receive the mailer in the first place and not be instantly denied when I applied.

It's funny, I was just posting to someone on the myfico forum this morning who was all upset with Chase because they'd received a mailer and so had applied and gotten denied. This person was done with Chase because of this. So, here I go explaining that those mailers can be so tempting and hard to resist, but if you don't meet the requirements Chase won't approve you.

And then I went to the mailbox...and fell for the same thing. Heh.

I forgot that I originally added an AU on my Freedom for the bonus points. This is the card I just upgraded to CSR. Will the AU AF just post with the normal AF? I think someone else went through this...

Also, how do I get a new PP card? I looked but it shows as already activated, not sure if that is because I had one before with my other Freedom when it was a CSR? I dont have the PP card anymore

I forgot that I originally added an AU on my Freedom for the bonus points. This is the card I just upgraded to CSR. Will the AU AF just post with the normal AF? I think someone else went through this...

Also, how do I get a new PP card? I looked but it shows as already activated, not sure if that is because I had one before with my other Freedom when it was a CSR? I dont have the PP card anymore
Yes I was AU on DHs CSP and automatically AU when upgraded to CSR. No fee at first, but when CSR AF posted a month or 2 later, so did AF for AU. DH called to cancel but they sent an envelope to returned AU card before they refunded the fee

Omg I can barely do anything on the board today because I keep getting pop ups. It’s even happening on opera which I’ve never had happen before
If you are in an iPhone, going to Settings and turning off java in Safari eliminates them for me. I know there are programs that can help but my memory is full. It makes it more difficult to Like posts and some websites get wonky but it’s easy enough for me to do when I’m going to check Dis and then turn back on. No need to reboot.

Yes I was AU on DHs CSP and automatically AU when upgraded to CSR. No fee at first, but when CSR AF posted a month or 2 later, so did AF for AU. DH called to cancel but they sent an envelope to returned AU card before they refunded the fee
Thanks! Maybe I will try SMing now to see if they will remove...

Thanks (I think)! I knew it would be hot but somehow hoped evenings would be better. Silly me! Thanks for the reminder on the misting fan. We’ll definitely bring ours. Cooling towels are already packed. Those things do work great. Hats, sunglasses and oodles of sunscreen (the kind that dries matte to hopefully prevent the oil slick). Do you even bother with umbrellas or rain jackets or is it pointless?

I hope you’re both having an amazing time! @afan , sorry you weren’t able to catch sadness (that sounds bad out of context :confused3).
We always bring our ponchos into the park but we rarely actually use them. This trip we have used them almost everyday :oops: But again, the rain cools things off so we are not really complaining lol.

We always bring our ponchos into the park but we rarely actually use them. This trip we have used them almost everyday :oops: But again, the rain cools things off so we are not really complaining lol.

Thank! DD and I brought ours, DH thinks we’re nuts :rotfl2: 🌦

Just arrived at the airport. Through security (thank you pre check from Amex Plats and CSR) and eating at PF Chang’s before our 6pm flight. It was 80 here in Michigan today but almost no humidity and a strong breeze. I actually had to grab a sweater at one point. Will be a shock to my system for sure when we step off MDE. Totally worth it though. Also managed to snag a ADR at Sci Fi for dinner (and AC) tomorrow. Love TP reservation finder.

Can’t wait to hear about your trip.

Thank! DD and I brought ours, DH thinks we’re nuts :rotfl2: 🌦

Just arrived at the airport. Through security (thank you pre check from Amex Plats and CSR) and eating at PF Chang’s before our 6pm flight. It was 80 here in Michigan today but almost no humidity and a strong breeze. I actually had to grab a sweater at one point. Will be a shock to my system for sure when we step off MDE. Totally worth it though. Also managed to snag a ADR at Sci Fi for dinner (and AC) tomorrow. Love TP reservation finder.

Can’t wait to hear about your trip.
So you’re able to use the PP benefit at PF Chang’s even though you’re not flying internationally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter