I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been trying to switch banks since I haven’t been able to link mine to YNAB and I was recommended Charles Schwab checking. Yesterday, I filled the application online. This morning, Credit Karma notifies me I have a hard pull on my credit from Charles Schwab.
Don’t know why I didn’t ask here first but since bank accounts are opened all the time, I just didn’t think. Don’t be a me :).

I'd love to hear more about Utah. I have it planned for next March, fly into Vegas, two nights at Zion, two at Bryce, and two at the Grand Canyon,then back to Vegas. Or it seems I'm reading that people wish they had planned more time for Bryce, so I'm considering one more night at Bryce and leave off Grand Canyon and just stay in Vegas for a few nights to see a few sights and some pool time.
March can be tricky with weather, especially at Bryce since it's up much higher than Zion. Gorgeous in the snow, though! Are you hikers? Have you ever been to the Utah parks before? I like to spend 3 nights at a national park because that gives 2 full days to hike and explore and (gasp) relax and enjoy the scenery :love: I would add more time at Zion before more time at Bryce.

We live in the Phoenix area and I just "took" my husband to Bryce last year over Memorial Day weekend. I love Bryce so much (my son's middle name is Bryce). I don't think I've ever been there in March though. We did do some hiking there and the views are just stunning! Then we rode (a motorcycle... not a horse) to Zion and took a bus "tour" (a very short bus tour) that ended at a hotel or lodge and had lunch there. I didn't realize there is so much more to Zion than just the highway that runs through it! We didn't do any hiking in Zion but I'd like to go back some time.

What’s crazy is, my wife is in tech, knows a lot of other people in tech who absolutely will not have smart speakers or devices in their homes, and a lot of those folks work on figuring out how to get the public to get more engaged with their products and willing to share more of their information.
My husband is an IT person and he absolutely refuses to have one (and the more he talks about why, the more I agree). I think it's creepy!!! They're always listening. It's like the stories I hear about your phone suddenly showing you ads for something you just mentioned out loud. Creeeeeepyyyyyyyy.

Love that architecture tour! My favorite pizza is Giordano’s.
I don’t recall owning a steakhouse :scratchin (Seriously I have never heard of any place named Cindy’s). For steak: RPM Steak, Gibson’s, Gene & Georgetti’s, Eddie V’s, Ditka’s. Disclaimer, I’m not a big steak eater but all I listed are highly regarded in Chicago

ETA: must be referring to this
http://www.cindysrooftop.com/I’ve never been, or heard of it (or it changed names because the views look familiar). But it says it’s hip and stylish and I’m neither.
Thanks, that was what she was talking about. I looked at the menu and will be skipping, even if it has a great view.

I would like to get a card to churn a bonus before applying for the other two. Since Biz cards seems to get the best bonuses, I was leaning that way but of course open to either. I should be good to go as have opened nothing in past 24 months. Currently I have Disney Premier (I hate not to have at least the standard Disney Visa) I plan on cancelling and the Chase SW card I also plan on cancelling prior to applying for buz cards. Chase has a max of 4 cards to have open at one time? Right? Thanks
Usually, the Chase Ink Preferred is the card to get first if you're looking for a biz card with a great bonus. Also, you can call Chase and ask about product changing your Disney Premier to the no-fee Disney Visa. You don't need to cancel.

We went to LV, Bryce and Zion over spring break. Both NPs are amazing but I’d say Zion has a slight edge. Bryce is smaller and when you enter the park you are at the top or the rim. So temps are colder. Zion is a canyon so you have warmer temps. Zion is also much bigger so more to do. Both have stunning topography so you can’t go wrong with either. But plan for more days at Zion.

We did GCNP two years ago and it’s also stunning. I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

Ah, seeing the Golden Gate Bridge will pair perfectly with your Walt Disney Family Museum visit! They’re both in the Presidio, and you’ll see a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge right from the Main Post where the museum is located, but with a car you can drive to various lookouts that’ll get you even better views, Chrissy Field, and to Fort Point that’s right at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge. I’ll pull up some maps when I get a chance in the next few days.

Here’s a view of the Golden Gate Bridge from inside the back of the museum:
View attachment 417796

This is a view from behind the Presidio Lodge, right next to the Walt Disney Family Museum:
Kv2yL4w.jpg

Here are some images from Chrissy Field on a nicer day around sunset:
CNkCOyt.jpg

LuZ7hXT.jpg

And more pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge as you make your way from Chrissy Field to Fort Point, on different days:
oU7i6xp.jpg

Y2JB0p4.jpg

And from Fort Point, right under the bridge itself:
r702YnR.jpg

2LptzFG.jpg

I’m guessing the tiki bar is the Tonga Room at the Fairmont hotel? It’s a cool place; one of the few “old school” restaurants left in the city. One more cool thing right outside is the Fairmont is right on the hill on California Street, with a cable car line running up and down, and the Bay Bridge in the distance in a perfectly framed canyon view between the buildings of Chinatown and the Financial District downhill.

You could buy a one-day visitor passport, hop onto a cable car heading down California Street, which will take you down to Market Street. Hop onto an “F” streetcar headed towards the Embarcadero, and that’ll take you to Pier 39 and Fisherman’s Wharf, where In-N-Out is (and a short walk to Ghirardelli Square).

(The reason why I suggest public transportation aside from the Presidio is parking is very expensive around Nob Hill — where the Fairmont is, and along the Embarcadero, but if paying fares for 6 people is more, then maybe driving and parking is the better option.)

I’ll fill in more details, and Alamo Square (where the Painted Ladies are) when I have a little more time.
You are making me so excited for our trip. I’m booking flights in a few days but hotels are all booked. Here is how our 10 day California trip is shaking out.
1 night at HIE San Diego airport using ihg free night cert. (Arrival day)
2 nights Hotel del Coronado in a Victorian room using 2 Hilton personal s/u bonus.
2 nights Hyatt House Anaheim using Hyatt points
2 nights Palazzo LV using ihg points
2 nights Hyatt Regency Embarcadero using Hyatt points
1 night Grand Hyatt San Francisco using points transferred from UR. (Departure day)

I’ve been trying to switch banks since I haven’t been able to link mine to YNAB and I was recommended Charles Schwab checking. Yesterday, I filled the application online. This morning, Credit Karma notifies me I have a hard pull on my credit from Charles Schwab.
Don’t know why I didn’t ask here first but since bank accounts are opened all the time, I just didn’t think. Don’t be a me :).

I didn’t mind the hard pull. Did you get the $100 bonus?

Thanks! I actually need some since I’ll get reimbursed for my Uber trips this week. No $50 left so I had to get 2 $25.

Decided I needed two more :)
Thought of you this morning while reading my newspaper. The Chicago Tribune has an article comparing ways to get to O'hare from downtown for a 5pm flight. Times were comparable for Uber vs blue line on that particular day.
Another steakhouse that my DH loves is Chicago Cut. He also likes Gene and Georgettis. Rosebud Steakhouse is another.

Arches was a bit of a drive but there was so many good hikes for them! We went down Ut-12 and it was almost 6 hours from Arches to Bryce with a stop at Capitol Reef NP to get their ranger badges. It was a beautiful drive thru Grand Escalante but if your against much driving I think you could easily due Bryce, Zion and Vegas and turn that into a GREAT trip. We drove almost 1500 miles after flying out there and although I’m glad we covered as much as we did, I don’t know that I would do it every time.

I forgot to add that our kids loved Vegas. The pools were neat and we saw the Bellagio Fountains and the Mirage volcano. I probably could have spent a couple nights there. They would have loved to have seen one of the America’s got Talent winners shows but we just didn’t have time.
exactly- we drove up and stopped in Capitol Reef for the night at a local cabin campground that was adorable.... they have the free apple orchard there! this was on our way up to Arches.(side note, don't get lost on your route up by looking at the cool gas station built into a rock wall and going 100 out of your way only to have to double back,we did it and it wasn't pretty lol) We ended our trip in SLC to save time tho...so we started in Vegas (I dislike vegas) and drove our route,ending in Salt Lake to fly home.

Free dining at WDW for fall and winter. My week is of course blocked off. I hope Disneyland has an offer soon!!
I’m also hoping this means crowds may not be as high as expected for early SWGE dates. We’re going Labor Day week and assumed the worst after the first GE announcement. But now that they’re adding discounts for my week I’m hopeful

I understand that AU cards are not good but Is there any reason not to get employee cards for CIPs? I usually hit our MSRs on one card but I could churn faster if P2 had a card too. She is happy to let me play the game and reap the rewards but doesn’t want to have to start keeping track of multiple cards so she usually just uses the Freedom card she has been an AU on for years.

I’m also hoping this means crowds may not be as high as expected for early SWGE dates. We’re going Labor Day week and assumed the worst after the first GE announcement. But now that they’re adding discounts for my week I’m hopeful

That was my first thought too. Wonder if they're expecting lower crowds after what happened at DL. My week was not included in the renewed free dining. Not sure if that's good or bad lol.

I understand that AU cards are not good but Is there any reason not to get employee cards for CIPs? I usually hit our MSRs on one card but I could churn faster if P2 had a card too. She is happy to let me play the game and reap the rewards but doesn’t want to have to start keeping track of multiple cards so she usually just uses the Freedom card she has been an AU on for years.

Nope, no problem. I put DH as an employee on a couple cards.

No reason not to get a employee card on the CIP....I always do

The only thing we ended up getting was a fire stick because they put them back up at the $15 price. Meanwhile we spent $60 at old navy because they had more things we wanted
I'm debating getting a fire stick.do I need this? I have two old rokus already,is this an improvement? I can never get youtube to work, my roku is too old lol. I'd buy it if it was better....I think I got the roku on clearance like 8 years ago at least

The only thing we ended up getting was a fire stick because they put them back up at the $15 price. Meanwhile we spent $60 at old navy because they had more things we wanted
I'm debating getting a fire stick.do I need this? I have two old rokus already,is this an improvement? I can never get youtube to work, my roku is too old lol. I'd buy it if it was better....I think I got the roku on clearance like 8 years ago at least
All that work I did last year to prepare for no power with Irma and we didn't lose power. We were just extremely lucky as all the subdivisions around us did. I have no clue how we got so incredibly lucky. One of my friends was without for 8 days, most were at least 5 days. Those who didn't leave before the storm were leaving after 3 days without power. Grocery stores were completely without food though as the trucks couldn't get to the stores due to the storm moving north. That was weird -- walking into Publix and seeing the dairy, meat, bread, produce and water shelves empty.

We had a curfew for a few days after the storm as most neighborhoods had no power -- the intersection by Home Depot, which is 24 lanes (6 lanes each of 4 ways -- 3 straight through, 2 left turn lanes and 1 right turn lane) had no power for 3 days. It was a bit surreal driving through that intersection.

I wouldn't count on not losing power again though as it was just a stoke of luck that we had power -- even during the worst of Irma we were watching CNN in my den. We knew people who had generators who had people sleeping on their floors (mostly people who had elderly relatives who picked them up before the storm to be safe). It was crazy, but sort of fun (in a strange way) because all of the neighbors who stayed (dd and me stayed) were aware of who was where and what supplies we had amongst us, should the worst come to fruition.

Our damage was likely done by a small twister hitting our house during the storm and the 2 beside us (that's what the contractor thinks). Our neighbor beside us had some of the the siding torn off her roof and the one beside her had damage as well (inside and outside).

I'd probably stay again, but it would depend on the severity of the storm. Our house was built by a home builder (for himself and his family) and it's hurricane-proof (the damage we had was due to the twister that likely hit us).
We 'go Amish' when the power is out.... we had a massive NE strom a few years back and were without power 9 days.... and then a snow event had us blocked in and without power for days.... luckily I grew up in the woods,with parents who were ready with a woodstove etc. We have a woodstove if needed, and we used to camp,so we have all the things needed for camping like the outdoor stove,etc etc. Also know how to cook on my little woodstove (did it in that long storm) and beyond flashlights and batteries etc we have candles and (non) kerosene lanterns always ready to use. If needed we try to insulate our fridge/freezer as long as possible, then I just cooked anything that was going to go bad. (before it did lol) Water is a given,and not only drinking water, but almost every empty bottle (like gallon vinegar etc) in our house gets filled with tap water for emergency use like washing flushing,or possible filttering/treating to drink. None of this is will last forever,but I don't worry much about a week or so without power. (and we play cards and read books for entertainment) That winter one was a doozy, no snowplow came down our street for days,it was so deep we were all stuck.

Last edited:
Great! Not sure why I didn’t think of this before lol.

As @DisneyMandC and @palhockeymomof2 already chimed in, no harm in getting P2 an employee card.

General rule is if a credit card reports to your credit reports, so do AU cards to the AU's credit reports. A personal card reports, so would the AU, which would count as a slot against the 5/24 rule. Chase biz cards don't report, so an employee card won't report and won't count against 5/24.

Don't forget you can also add cards to Samsung Pay, Apple Pay.

Chase Ink cards (and Chase business cards generally?) aren't supported on Apple Pay. Not sure about Samsung Pay, Google Pay, or other mobile wallets.

Great! Not sure why I didn’t think of this before lol.

Another thing I've found is that if I request to have a card expedited, they almost always still mail me the original snail mail with a card too. Not a sure fire thing and some people don't want to ask for expedited cards if they're concerned about eyes on their account, but it may be an option. But again, no harm in getting the employee card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest