• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@calypso726 has way more points than me. Im just trying to catch up. And apparently everyone is trying to become a points millionaire and now that I cashed out 500,000 MR I'm way behind on that competition.

Across programs, most likely; but she was in awe of my modest little stash of 650k MR (which hit 693k this morning) and said she had some catching up to do. I’m sure she’d find more motivation chasing you!

I applied 4/23 for the Barclays aa biz and went pending. 10 days later I got a letter in the mail asking for a copy of my liscence, ss card and a utility bill, which I sent it. 5/23 I got a letter in the mail stating they had revived those and to call.

I called and had to answer questions about my “business”. I basically said I sold stuff online and wanted the card to keep shipping fees separate from my personal expenses. I was approved, but with only a 1k limit, which will be fine considering I plan to spend 1k for the bonus and never use the card again.

I had the exact same experience.

Following @speedyfishy , here’s my May summary:

Completed MSR on CSR for ~60K URs with mostly organic spend. Paid $450 annual fee and have already utilized $300 travel credit for resort we booked near Yosemite.

Have about $1.7K left on MSR for CSP. Referral of 15K UR posted to P2’s account last statement.

P2 is about 2/3 towards MSR on CIP with organic spend. Referral bonus of 20K UR is pending for next statement.

Received WF checking bonus of $400 (using bank account push as direct deposit). Need to see if P2’s posted yet (he used employer direct deposit).

Bought $400 worth of Delta ecerts (gift cards) using Amex Plat 2019 travel credit for P1 and P2 (credits posted).

Redeemed Hyatt points for reward night in San Francisco ($0.023/point redemption value).

Booked another night in San Francisco utilizing URs and CSR for $0.015/point).

Last edited:
Have you done the $10 off $100+ VGC deal at Safeway yet? I picked up 2x $500 variable load VGCs yesterday for $495.95 each. Unfortunately, the first try triggered a fraud alert on my CF so I used my Amex Gold. Cleared up the fraud alert, went over to next Safeway and bought another on my CF.

I tried this yesterday at the Safeway near me that has allowed Visa/MC gift cards purchases in the very recent past. Was told cash or debit only. Then the cashier says you can ask the manager over there. I did not have any discussion with her, other then saying - really? Didn't know it changed.

I took a single $100 visa gift card to him and he said, no - that doesn't work so I asked him when this changed. He said it's always been just debit cards or cash purchase for v/mc gc's. I said I bought some 2-3 weeks ago, which I did. So he decided to run my gift card through to see if it worked and of course it did, and I got my $10 credit - $95.95 for the card, plus used my CF for 5%.

Since I'm not MS'ing, I was okay with just a $100 card for essentially $90.95.

Good for you!

And just want to 'amen' your last bit here. The CIP is such a great card to start with and for many, it is absolutely the best choice but there are definitely exceptions where other cards make more sense. Suggesting a CIP to every single person who asks for churning how-to advice is irresponsible and potentially setting them up for a churning fail. It's entirely possible there is a better path depending on their travel goals.
Don't you need a business for that card?

Ok just verifying before I try this.... I'm 4/24 as of Monday, I want to app the CIP using p2's refer link...I copied and sent link with # thru email, I cut and pasted that into browser which brings up the app page for 80k..... can I pull the trigger now?
ETA..... checked CK and that acct that dropped Monday is showing as "2 years 0 months" is this the sign I can go for it? or wait for something

Last edited:
Don't you need a business for that card?
You do!! But chase’s, as well as other bank’s definition of a ‘small business’, is pretty relaxed. So if you sell on eBay or craigslist or any other place, if you teach piano, babysit, tutor, make a food and sell it, etc, you have a ‘business’. I was told by a chase banker herself that my ‘occasional’ selling on eBay qualified. Many of us here have business credit cards!! If you have more questions, ask away 😊

I tried this yesterday at the Safeway near me that has allowed Visa/MC gift cards purchases in the very recent past. Was told cash or debit only. Then the cashier says you can ask the manager over there. I did not have any discussion with her, other then saying - really? Didn't know it changed.

I took a single $100 visa gift card to him and he said, no - that doesn't work so I asked him when this changed. He said it's always been just debit cards or cash purchase for v/mc gc's. I said I bought some 2-3 weeks ago, which I did. So he decided to run my gift card through to see if it worked and of course it did, and I got my $10 credit - $95.95 for the card, plus used my CF for 5%.

Since I'm not MS'ing, I was okay with just a $100 card for essentially $90.95.

Ugh! I hate when cashiers and managers make up their own rules (or even laws! and accuse us of breaking federal money “laundry” or some other made up laws). This happened at a Lowe’s near me late last year, after I had been going there for months buying $100 and $200 third party GCs with no problems using my credit card to slowly use up Amex Offers. Yes, I’ve had a Lowe’s cashier accuse me of “money laundry,” said debit or cash only, that I can’t buy “credit” with “credit,” couldn’t understand I was trying to buy a GC not a prepaid card, insisted no stores allow buying GCs with credit cards. The stupid thing was she pointed to a sign that only said GC purchases of $200 or more need manager approval, which had nothing to do with our conversation and didn’t necessitate her accusing me of a federal crime of her own making. Thing is, she couldn’t even find a manager on duty so she just asked another drone in the next lane. I don’t bother with that location anymore.

May recap:
- Started and finished DH's Citi AA Biz 2 MSR
- Started MSR on my Citi AA Biz 2
- Got the statement credit for $250 AA GC purchase on my Citi Biz
- Finished Hyatt MSR

June Plans:
- Cancel my CIP 1 once the AF posts
- Apply for CIP 2 for me using DH's support link
- Apply for Hilton personal card
- Cancel my Hilton Biz once AF posts
- Apply for Hilton Biz for DH
- Finish MSR on DH's SPG Biz
- Finish MSR on my Citi AA Biz 2

I've already got about $1000 worth of planned spend on CIP to pay off our Disney trip and cash out for URs to cover the cost.

Ugh! I hate when cashiers and managers make up their own rules (or even laws! and accuse us of breaking federal money “laundry” or some other made up laws). This happened at a Lowe’s near me late last year, after I had been going there for months buying $100 and $200 third party GCs with no problems using my credit card to slowly use up Amex Offers. Yes, I’ve had a Lowe’s cashier accuse me of “money laundry,” said debit or cash only, that I can’t buy “credit” with “credit,” couldn’t understand I was trying to buy a GC not a prepaid card, insisted no stores allow buying GCs with credit cards. The stupid thing was she pointed to a sign that only said GC purchases of $200 or more need manager approval, which had nothing to do with our conversation and didn’t necessitate her accusing me of a federal crime of her own making. Thing is, she couldn’t even find a manager on duty so she just asked another drone in the next lane. I don’t bother with that location anymore.

Definitely indicted someone for "money laundry" yesterday. Totally legit.

:rolleyes:

And if I didn’t need more reasons to :badpc: Barclays... just had two fraudulent charges on my Priceline card which is my default card when not meeting MSR. No Mr. CSR, I did not spend $56 at Burger King and $74 at Del Taco in California as I sit here calling you from Michigan. When I asked if they could expedite the replacement he said sure, for a $15 fee. Thanks but no thanks. Just updated all my auto pays to a MSR card. Oh Barclays....:sad2:

You do!! But chase’s, as well as other bank’s definition of a ‘small business’, is pretty relaxed. So if you sell on eBay or craigslist or any other place, if you teach piano, babysit, tutor, make a food and sell it, etc, you have a ‘business’. I was told by a chase banker herself that my ‘occasional’ selling on eBay qualified. Many of us here have business credit cards!! If you have more questions, ask away 😊
Good to know. I'll be eligible for a new chase card in October if Amex won't give me a bonus. I'm still holding out hope for the Hilton aspire. If I do end up with another Amex it will be February before I can apply with Chase again. Maybe by then I'll have started a business LOL.

I'm back to say thank you for sharing sharing all of your wonderful advice and to ask for more. I followed this thread and the previous one regularly until a few months ago when work got too busy to keep up. Now I only get to check the "news" thread regularly.
I have a large group airline purchase (about 10k and will be reimbursed) coming up and I want to make the best use of the opportunity. Future travel plans include a work conference in Disney, Europe with my 2 teen boys (tickets already covered with AA miles) but still need hotels and trains, and hopefully a ski weekend and Universal in 2020. Preferred airport is PHL sometimes BWI. P2 and I are both 4/24 with cards falling off every month or 2. I'd love to get a 2nd CIP if that is still possible, no EIN. I also considered PCing my CSP to CSR for the higher redemption rate (currently have about 170K) and lounge access for the Europe trip. Other things on my wishlist include Hyatt and SW personal and Biz at the end of the year for CP. Maybe some MRs? Feeling left out in that game.
Here's the history:
Me - CSP 4/17, SW 6/17, CIP 9/17, Marriott 11/17, Aviator Red 11/17, SPG Biz 2/18, Delta Biz 4/18, Citi AA Biz 5/18, Marriott Biz 8/18, Barclay AA Biz 10/18, A+ 1/19
P2 - CSP 6/17 (PC'd to CF), Barclay AA Red 11/17, CIP 6/18, SPG Biz 10/18, Barclay AA Biz, CIC 2/19, Savor 3/19, A+ 5/19
TIA!!

Thank you SO MUCH! :worship: Your post is incredibly helpful and I will bookmark it. How did you accumulate all of your points for this?

I am well versed in UR and have transferred to United for Europe last year. I am pretty sure that is my preferred airline for Australia, but we have 100K MR for me and potentially 100K MR for DH if he gets the Amex Plat, so that is A LOT that we can use, if I can utilize the MR correctly. I'm not even sure how to figure out how many MR I would need or what airline...MR seem weird to me. I know. I'm clearly the weird one.

Our rough itinerary would be to fly to Sydney and get acclimated for a few days. Fly to NZ (not sure where...bucket list item for DH to fly-fish there and this city girl knows NOTHING about that), and then fly to Melbourne for the Australian Open (my bucket list item), before flying back to Chicago.

We have access to Friends and Family rates at Hyatt, but who knows if that would be available (or in budget - holy COW the NZ rates that I was looking at are crazy expensive!!!), but I am also a WOH member, but no points because I don't get points if I get a F&F rate, which is about 1/3 of the published rate...so I never minded not having WOH points.

So I guess the question is, do I go for more MR or UR???
We're slow cc openers (can't even call use churners yet lol) yet put almost everything on a cc each month. Since July we've gotten a CSR, a CSP, a CF, and a WoH, plus my 2 SW cards for the CP. Dh's CIP will be knocked out with 2 transactions, and then I'll use his link to apply for my own. Then we'll have all the UR that I wrote in my long post :)

For those considering New Zealand/Australia trips:

We traveled there last summer for a month. We spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and 10 days in Australia.

I would highly, highly recommend New Zealand over Australia. Nothing in particular against Australia, but it just felt a lot like America/Europe, especially against New Zealand. I’d recommend NZ over anywhere I’ve been - Israel, Egypt, Europe - it’s breathtaking.

I’d be happy to give recommendations/a run-through of our trip if anyone would be interested.

We booked (very) last minute (less than a month before), so we didn’t book with points (well, we used our URs at 1.5x). We stayed in Airbnbs the whole trip, as that allowed us a lot more flexibility in where we traveled to.

If we ever go back (which I’d love to do), there is no way I’m enduring that plane ride in economy. We had bulkhead seats and I was still miserable (alas, the pains of paying with “cash”). I’d definitely recommend you find a way to fly there in style - preferably, Plane Princess style! (@calypso726)
So how. many days did you spend on the North Island and on the South Island? Ideally we'd take a separate trip to NZ for multiple weeks, which means that wouldn't happen for many years.

Where did you go when you were in Australia?
im not sure what city your in but i know only 2 airlines fly direct to NZ. United and Air NZ.
Air NZ are notoriously hard to find awardspace, your alternate would be to stop somewhere in asia before flying down south, ie Japan, Taiwan, etc.
We would have to stop on the west coast most likely no matter if we were going to NZ or Australia. No NS from ORD.

ETA: Apparently, there is NS service on Air NZ from ORD. Interesting...or I could go through Figi...and take few days there. Oh the options...
Albort, do you have any idea whether or not it's easier to get flights to SYD instead of AUK? I've sort of given up since I keep hearing it's super had to get lie flat seats to NZ, but if SYD isn't impossible I think I could make it work. Honestly I struggle with this one since my one trip there was almost 6 weeks and there's no way DH can be gone from work for that long in one stretch (even if he has the vacation days). It would have to be a shortened version I guess.

I've been watching Air New Zealand flights for a week now. The only nonstop business seats to SFO/LAX/IAH between now and the end of the available schedule (so late April 2020) are for late June into late July this year :eek: I don't know how willing I am to wait to book those seats so close to a trip! @CoP Luv I'll add ORD to my list :)

@mmmears I haven't been looking at flights into AUK but I have into SYD on United. I was getting frustrated because it seemed nothing was available in J saver. And then last week, all kinds of flights were once again available for 80K!

Out of IAH, there's huge availability on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays during April 2020. I can once again find multiple connections from PHL and EWR (my preferred airports for United since we can get a shuttle v easily) though IAH :) Those are "mixed" flights because the first leg---but it beats taking SW to Hobby and shuttling to IAH with an overnight stay!

Availability in J on the LAX-SYD flight during the April 2020 time period is pretty good, with Sundays and Mondays available as well as a couple random days (haven't looked at connections from east coast though).

The SFO-SYD flight during that same time period stinks with only one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter