Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

I feel incredibly lucky that we are not yet at WDW. Feel so bad for those that are, especially those that recently arrived to find the park closed for 2 or more days. 😥

Question: We are scheduled to fly down there on Monday afternoon. I know that no one can predict the extent of what the damage will be to the resort, but for those that may have past experience, or just those that could put themselves in our shoes, would you still plan to go given all the issues already mentioned, above, on this thread?

Food and water being scarce (We have an Amazon Fresh cart ready to order, though there is no water available, and I am sure many items have now sold out. No telling when the grocery stores or Disney will be able to restock after the storm passes )

Fresh water issues in the rooms (We are staying at CSR in a Casita.)

A possibility of long term power issues.

Overpacked hotels and then getting the rooms cleaned for new guest (We were at Animal Kingdom last year at this time and because of Covid, there were already cleaning issue because lack of staff.)

Another thing I am concerned about is that our transportation could be cancelled for lack of gas for their vans.

Again, I know the future cannot be told today, and we will wait to see how bad a hit WDW gets, but just wondering what YOUR thoughts are?

Praying for safety for everyone effected by this storm!
We're supposed to come on Saturday for a week at Universal. Very close to cancelling at this point for the reasons you mentioned. Parks may be open, hotels probably functional if we can get there, but would be more relaxing to come another time. Told my kids I'll pull them out of school for 2 days and we can go for their birthday in January.

She just called me directly on my cell phone to apologize and say that the BCV building is locking down at 3 and we won’t be able to get to the restaurants or Market after that.

They told us to stay inside of our rooms at the Poly during Hurricane Matthew while Goofy and guests were having a big party in the lobby. I’m just sayin’. Keep your reservations, but watch the weather.

We’re going to switch to our new room and then go see what we can scavenge for. The Market was pretty wiped out this morning. Sure wish we could keep all of our A&C and Cape May reservations!
Maybe it will make you feel a bit better but it was previously reported they’ll be shutting down BC to YC access so that wasn’t gonna happen anyway…

We are stuck at the Boardwalk. Just walked through the lobby and saw Chip & Dale. They said there will be food available for us at the convention center around noon. The pool is still open and some people are swimming.

Landed safely last night (actually one of the the smoothest flights I’ve ever been on!) and are due to check in to the Swan today but now we can’t check in to the Boardwalk tomorrow. We’re going to Uber to the Boardwalk at 8 AM and see if they have anything tonight and if not, hopefully the Swan can let us stay Thursday night. If not I’m not sure what’s going to happen.
There is a sign in the lobby at Boardwalk that’s says all check ins must be done by 3pm today- no checkins tomorrow. I can go down and take a pic if you want.

Last edited:

We are stuck at the Boardwalk. Just walked through the lobby and saw Chip & Dale. They said there will be food available for us at the convention center around noon. The pool is still open and some people are swimming.
We are here also. My feet and legs could use the rest due hitting three parks yesterday. We saw the tables set up In The convention center and the other room that had the pillows and linens piled up in the corner.

I feel incredibly lucky that we are not yet at WDW. Feel so bad for those that are, especially those that recently arrived to find the park closed for 2 or more days. 😥

Question: We are scheduled to fly down there on Monday afternoon. I know that no one can predict the extent of what the damage will be to the resort, but for those that may have past experience, or just those that could put themselves in our shoes, would you still plan to go given all the issues already mentioned, above, on this thread?
I had a reservation at Pop to check in the day after Irma went through. Since my sister and BIL had to evacuate to my house and couldn’t return to their homes for a while, we kept the reservation. We didn’t try to go to the parks on check in day, so I do not know if they were open, but otherwise, we had a good time and didn’t notice any issues related to the hurricane.

Of course every storm is different and the overall circumstances are different. I don’t think you would have power issues once you arrive on property, although there could be widespread outages off property which might affect CMs getting to work and deliveries coming in on time. Supply chains have already been stretched prior to the storm, so there could be reduced food offerings if shipments don’t make it through for a few days. Transportation from the airport could be affected by gas shortages if the tanker trucks are slow or demand is high. Those would be my biggest concerns.

That being said, I would feel comfortable with a Monday arrival, as things should improve a little each day.

We’ve got M&M out and about at RIV. I heard from another couple that Topolino’s served breakfast this morning but there were no characters and it was $15/adult. I’d take that deal!

Attachments

• 4C49D58A-6D4D-43A2-ADF7-4B2F80F0C038.jpeg
    4C49D58A-6D4D-43A2-ADF7-4B2F80F0C038.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 57
CSR boxed lunch menu. Compared to the one posted earlier for GF, I’m guessing this is the moderate resort version.

The line for the boxes at El Mercado wraps around into the convention center.

View attachment 706029
Were you able to buy whatever you wanted? Seems to me a few hurricanes ago, Disney was doing like one per person even if you have 4 people in your room. So everyone had to be there to buy.

If I was buying for my DH and I, I'd buy 4 of the breakfast, 2 each of each sandwiches and 4 of the kids PB ones to save for tomorrow. Take all the perishables and stash in fridge with a few bags of ice.

ETA.....I just wanted to note, I wouldn't buy 2 of EACH sandwich, so not 10-12 sandwiches but 4.

Last edited:
8-) Communique from a Fort Wilderness transplant:

We were evacuated to Port Orleans Riverside on Monday, and this morning (Wed. 28th) went to the Riverside Mill for breakfast, and the place was packed. We have plenty of food at our room, but we wanted to get outside as long as it was safe (we had to walk outside to get to the main building). So we were able to have a hot breakfast.

I've said it before, but again I have to hand it to the CM's serving throughout the dining room-you can tell they're swamped to the gills, but they still took a moment to smile. As noted, the dining hall was filled, so himself and I took a couple extra chairs and put them together to make a make-shift "table". As I was getting settled, and himself went to get his food, a CM came up to me and told me she'd held a table for us. I gotta say, I'm impressed with these young CM's. (I'm 73, so yep, they're young to me lol).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter