Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

We're supposed to come on Saturday for a week at Universal. Very close to cancelling at this point for the reasons you mentioned. Parks may be open, hotels probably functional if we can get there, but would be more relaxing to come another time. Told my kids I'll pull them out of school for 2 days and we can go for their birthday in January.
We really have no other time to visit WDW until next Fall Break. My daughter is a teacher, so unless she could take the time off, and take the children out of school, we will have to wait. Already have plans to go to the beach for Spring Break, and we are not interested in fighting the holiday or summer crowds.
I had a reservation at Pop to check in the day after Irma went through. Since my sister and BIL had to evacuate to my house and couldn’t return to their homes for a while, we kept the reservation. We didn’t try to go to the parks on check in day, so I do not know if they were open, but otherwise, we had a good time and didn’t notice any issues related to the hurricane.

Of course every storm is different and the overall circumstances are different. I don’t think you would have power issues once you arrive on property, although there could be widespread outages off property which might affect CMs getting to work and deliveries coming in on time. Supply chains have already been stretched prior to the storm, so there could be reduced food offerings if shipments don’t make it through for a few days. Transportation from the airport could be affected by gas shortages if the tanker trucks are slow or demand is high. Those would be my biggest concerns.

That being said, I would feel comfortable with a Monday arrival, as things should improve a little each day.
Very helpful, thank you. Hopefully, we will have the same experience if we go. We do not plan to go to the parks until Tuesday.

Another question: Not sure how the Disney insurance (we did purchase) works if we cancelled and the resort was open for business!

Anyone marooned in a hotel room or studio. Put stopper in a sink, fill with ice, and go get some fruit/salads/beverages from your hotel QS before they close at 3 and ensure u have enough food and drinks until Friday. Get some of chip and dales trail mix, pretzels, and/or Mickey crackers. Take care and enjoy Disney camping.

Were you able to buy whatever you wanted? Seems to me a few hurricanes ago, Disney was doing like one per person even if you have 4 people in your room. So everyone had to be there to buy.

If I was buying for my DH and I, I'd buy 4 of the breakfast, 2 each of each sandwiches and 4 of the kids PB ones to save for tomorrow. Take all the perishables and stash in fridge with a few bags of ice.

I did not see a sign that limited them to one per person and saw one guy come out with 4.

My understanding is that the governor has asked hotel properties to loosen their policies and allow people to bring pets, but it isn't a mandate. There is no law that I am aware of in regard to this.
Doesn't Disney still have the policy allowing animals? I seem to remember a thread that discusses that policy.

Yes. I’ve seen people interviewed on the news who say they are staying home because they can’t find a shelter that will take their pets.
It makes me sad that they could not find safer places to go with their pets and hope they will all be ok.

Anyone at old key west have any clue as to what’s going on? Had breakfast at Olivia’s at 10am and the cast members weren’t sure if they were staying open for lunch/dinner. When are they advising we stay in our rooms from? Is the bar or restaurant still open? We’ve had zero communications - people were at bus stops this morning not even knowing parks were shut. Televisions broke last night and again this morning and after 30mins on the phone I was told sharply by someone on front desk that it was a known issue and they are working on it, no words of calmness or kindness - though to note other cast members we have encountered have been lovely. We have never faced hurricane conditions before (from England) so the lack of info whilst stuck in a Villa 10min walk from the lobby makes my anxiety through the roof. I do understand the cast members must be overwhelmed with guest queries and helping them but I can’t face a 10min soggy walk and 45min queue at the lobby to have any idea what is happening 😭

Here now sipping coffee from our 1 BR villa at BWV. Strange seeing the skyliner with no cars on it. Pretty calm right now, but we know the worst is yet to come. We helped clean out the corner store of ice cream last night! All the CM's have been great. This is our first hurricane in 30 visits. Have plans to extend our trip one extra night by staying at my brothers house in Polk City. That way we could visit Epcot one move time on Friday and salvage what has been a great trip so far. So far the rum supply is safe, bur it's 5 o'clock somewhere. Stay safe everyone!

SAB closes at noon.
Lifeguards now say they’ll keep SAB open as long as possible.
Eating at BnC now and the pool is still hopping! So glad to get some “real food” before we’re stuck in our room. Can I just say, Cast Members are awesome? Laurie at BC desk, Michaela at BnC, Frontierland CMs at MNSSHP last night, all have been amazing. So thankful for all of them!

Boardwalk is doing a dance party for the kids In the lobby. $7 sandwich kit is plenty for two people. These are in the Bel vu lounge. Pic is roast beef. They have egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, ham and cheese, roast beef, and maybe one or two other options and kid options also.

Attachments

• 1DA8F5E8-C1FD-4321-BC7C-E97806982F28.jpeg
    1DA8F5E8-C1FD-4321-BC7C-E97806982F28.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 104
I don’t know what is going on at the Poly compared to reports from other resorts. It feels like total chaos here. I never would’ve known they had boxed food if I hadn’t read on these boards that other resorts had them and come to Captain Cook’s to check it out - no signage or messages elsewhere. There’s breakfast boxes with bagels, roast beef, and ham and cheese. The menu shows a bunch of other options but they don’t actually have them.

1664383344118.jpeg

Anyone at old key west have any clue as to what’s going on? Had breakfast at Olivia’s at 10am and the cast members weren’t sure if they were staying open for lunch/dinner. When are they advising we stay in our rooms from? Is the bar or restaurant still open? We’ve had zero communications - people were at bus stops this morning not even knowing parks were shut. Televisions broke last night and again this morning and after 30mins on the phone I was told sharply by someone on front desk that it was a known issue and they are working on it, no words of calmness or kindness - though to note other cast members we have encountered have been lovely. We have never faced hurricane conditions before (from England) so the lack of info whilst stuck in a Villa 10min walk from the lobby makes my anxiety through the roof. I do understand the cast members must be overwhelmed with guest queries and helping them but I can’t face a 10min soggy walk and 45min queue at the lobby to have any idea what is happening 😭
First, welcome to the southern US and I hope your holiday is minimally impacted. Second, a few words about safety: winds will start to pick up and could cause debris, lawn furniture that wasn't already pulled in, tree limbs to become projectiles. Whole trees could fall. This means shelter in your room through the winds. Because Orlando is in a direct path (at least for now) you might have the eye pass overhead. If the eye passes overhead, there will be a period of 10-40 minutes (depends on width of the eye) where the winds will calm. You might be tempted to think the storm has passed, so be aware of the that lull if the eye does pass through your area. I advise caution about going out during the eye, even if you see others... there could be limbs about to fall at OKW. There could be roofing nails or other storm debris strewn about that you might not see easily. Wildlife might be out, but usually wildlife will slither/run from humans. Tornadoes can by tossed out by hurricanes, not always from the center, so even if there's not hurricane force winds near you, it's another reason not to be out strolling.

Third, I also encourage set up of towels like in the picture upthread for wind driven rain. Hopefully ants and other little critters don't come in, but I would be more concerned about the wind driven rain into the unsealed areas like a door.

You had asked about how to know what to do and when. I believe the second post of this thread, curated by GADisneyDad has several links for you to use. These news outlets will give you the advisement when to shelter in place. They will give you tracking updates where the storm is located. According to a Coronado CM I inquired on Monday, Disney will use the shelter in place (which means your room at OKW) as a curfew, because those rooms are outward facing. Although if your room is interior to a building (like Jambo house or Wilderness lodge) you may be able to stroll in the interior lobby area. If you are completely without food or water, then see what you can do to safely provision for at least overnight thru midday tomorrow. There are excellent posts upthread about room preparation, window safety and food/water set-up.

I hope you come through the storm safely and end up having a positive experience adventure to share with friends and family back home. Big hugs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter