How wrong is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plan Man - being honest about ages in restaurants/ theme parks, etc. does indeed pay off. I now have 2 teenagers who cannot lie to save their lives, not even about something as inconsequential as "did you brush your teeth". I firmly believe it is because their parents have always told the truth, even if it cost. Can I also say that I got a real laugh out of the "maybe we'll bring the dog" reply!!! Lastly, I do think that Disney should make a better effort for those families with 3 and 4 kids. If Port Orleans Riverside is full, you are pretty much sc**wed. It would have been nice if some of POP century had rooms for 5 or 6 for the same price as POR, just to give folks an option.

Connor69, so you do put 8 people in one room at AKL? I was unsure what I read?? What do the maids say about all the mattresses on the floor and extra towels? I am not attacking you;) , just curious. We have 2 kids, so I cannot imagine. I think I would go with 2 rooms at the Allstars and 2 bathrooms. Is this what you did on your past trips to WL and AKL? What do you all do at check-in? I mean do they see 8 of you standing there? I just know 2 of my kids in a room at WL was plenty, not even sure how 2 mattresses would fit! :)

Originally posted by connor69
Most people with large families do not anyone to feel sorry for us or give us a free ride..just a little understanding would do.

Connor69, Understanding is one thing - yes, I'm sure there are PLENTY of challenges to having 6 children. Condoning a family breaking the rules is quite another thing. As someone else on the list rightly said, so many families, mine included when I was a child, NEVER get to make a trip to WDW. Instead of being bitter at what you can't afford, and lying to try to get it, why not take advantage of other options like a Ft Wilderness Cabin, a DVC villa, or 2 adjoining rooms at All Stars, or even going off site to one of those large suites? We got a HUGE 1 bedroom suite at the Summerfield Suites there for $50 through Priceline, which is considerably less than the All Star Resorts.
And, again, consider that having a large family is entirely your choice, even including multiple births, which are always a possibility, albeit a remote one usually. With the choice to have a large familiy, comes the fact that the family must now set certain priorities. Do you really want your children to grow up thinking it's okay to lie, b/c the world somehow owes you a deluxe hotel room simply because you have a big family?
Cheers!
Heather P

That first episode of the Brady Bunch always DID bug me. On Mike and Carols honeymoon, they leave and get the 6 kids and then Alice, the dog and cat all arrive and they march up the stairs to the check-in attendants horror:eek: ! Did not even ask for another room!:smooth: Was just a TV show, but seems to be happening in real life!
Some of the people that are doing this ARE AP holders and go several times a year. So maybe money is not an issue:confused: !

IMHO 8 people in a room meant for 4 is just not right. I really think that you should look for more appropriate accommodations even if it means staying off-site. You can always go visit any of the places that you listed and have dinner or shop.

If you really like the experience of staying on-site then consider purchasing DVC or renting points. At least then you would have appropriate accommodations.

I have been reading this thread for days and just had to jump in. We are a family of 5 and yes I do beleive children learn what they see. We understand very clearly what it means to sacrifice and live within our means. I sometimes marvel at some of the posts who think nothing of spending $300 and up per night. We know we can't do that and probably never will. I am not looking for sympathy, it's just the way things are and I count my blessings that I can even consider giving my children the magic of Disney and a family vacation once in a while.

I was however dissappointed to know that AKL and WL would never be an option for our family (my 8 year old loves giraffes). I realize that there are safety reasons for occupancy limits but is boggles my mind that Disney can put a trundle in POR and not in any of the other resorts where the rooms are larger! In these resorts I would have to book a deluxe room which is never given the same discounts as many of you are enjoying. As far as comfort, it is a personal judgement call whether a family of 5 would be just a comfortable as a family of 3 in a 400 sf space (larger than POR). (Don't jump all over this I also do not agree on cramming 8 people into a room meant for 4).

Large families are also not looking for special treatment or special discounts. Disney does offer some special groups of people special discounts (teachers, SOG). Maybe Disney should eliminate the special treatment they receive? After all it was their choice to go into those professions just as it was my choice to have 3 children (before you shoot me I do not think Disney should change their policy for teachers or SOG).

I think WDW really needs to evaluate whether or not everyone is being treated fairly and given the same options and special treatment no matter how big or small the family. And I agree with the post who wants to show her family a "deluxe" vacation. If children only every see what is within their current means they may never strive to a higher goal. Sorry this is so looooong!

Originally posted by ripleysmom
... 8 people in a room meant for 4 ....

May I also suggest Doubletree suites- very close to DD where you can take Disney transportation everywhere-as an alternative, try Marriott Residence Inn. A 2 BR with kitchen and 2 baths is very reasonable, and they have a pool.

For what it is worth, I come from a family of five kids. My dad was a carpenter and money was always tight. We were raised to say 'please', 'thank you' and ''excuse me' and play by the rules. I could not go to Disney until I was 41 yrs old. Now our family of five are DVC owners and enjoy BWV and OKW on a regular basis. I do not care that much if another family's room is overcrowded unless they disturb me and my family and our hard-earned enjoyment of the magic. And that is what would happen if Disney just let as many people in a room as desired. The Fire Dept in Orlando would certainly frown on such practice. But you go ahead and do what you feel is necessary. Getting away with stuff seems to be the American Way.

Originally posted by Lil'Magic2000
A few years ago, my family and I went to Disney with my just turned three year old sister. We, like so many others, did not purchase a ticket for her, and passed her off as two. This is a child who, at the time, weighed 20 pounds soaking wet, and ate so little, you'd think we were starving her. I have listened to my mom plan and plan and plan trips to Walt Disney (OUR trips are in the double digits-haha to all you "couple of time" visitors), and I also see nothing wrong with passing off your child as a two year old. There are just as many people who will pass their kid off as two and see nothing wrong with it as there are people who obviously have hundreds of dollars just lying around, and are willing to pay for their three year old to ride the five or six rides that she is allowed to go on or doesn't scare the living daylights out of her. Next year, when your child is pushing four, then you can see about buying a ticket.

Unbelievable. First, this is about sticking too many people in the room, not 'should I buy a ticket.'... that's another thread elswhere. And laughing at people who don't visit Disney that much - that's really mature of you. They probably can't afford to go numerous times because they are honest and buy that ticket for a three year old - because THAT'S the rule. It's lying and dishonest to do otherwise and I feel very sorry for you if you can't see that those qualities are wrong. Are you going to use the 'everybody does it' excuse for the rest of your life?

And as one who's taken younger children to WDW, there's plenty of things and a lot more than 'five or six' rides for them to do - probably more so than older children. What are you going to do when she turns 10 - not buy an adult ticket for her ?

Originally posted by ripleysmom
... 8 people in a room meant for 4 ....

May I also suggest Doubletree suites- very close to DD where you can take Disney transportation everywhere-as an alternative, try Marriott Residence Inn. A 2 BR with kitchen and 2 baths is very reasonable, and they have a pool.

For what it is worth, I come from a family of five kids. My dad was a carpenter and money was always tight. We were raised to say 'please', 'thank you' and ''excuse me' and play by the rules adn mostly because we learned by EXAMPLE from our parents to do so! I could not go to Disney until I was 41 yrs old. Now our family of five are DVC owners and enjoy BWV and OKW on a regular basis. I do not care that much if another family's room is overcrowded unless they disturb me and my family and our hard-earned enjoyment of the magic. And that is what would happen if Disney just let as many people in a room as desired. The Fire Dept in Orlando would certainly frown on such practice. But you go ahead and do what you feel is necessary. Getting away with stuff seems to be the American Way.

FYI-Teacher discounts are only at Swan and Dolphin which is not owned by WDW. Same for SOG, that is a Military owned resort.:)

I read the article in the last Disney Magazine about the Wilderness Cabins and they sound awsome to me. I've also read a couple trip reports of people who've stayed there, and they thought it was Disney's best kept secret! I've never seen them but if I had 6 people, I sure wouldn't mind trying them out. There's all kinds of free night time activities for families in addition to the ammenities offered at the moderates. Plus, there a kitchen which would be convienance and cost saving for families. Sounds much better than cramming 8 people into a room.

BTW, I don't fall for the "woe is me, I can't stay where I want, so I have to lie" bit either. I want to stay in The Presidential Suite at AKL, but I can't afford it. I sure don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me. If you choose to have that many kids, either you have to earn enought to live the way you want to live or make sacrifices. That's life.

I think it is about making choices that you can afford. There are lots of smaller families that can not afford to do a Deluxe and yes many who will never be able to afford a WDW vacation at all. We have in the past stayed at ASMo because that is what fit our budget. We are planning our first deluxe resort trip after many years of waiting to be able to afford that. It would be no more right for a large family to be dishonest in order at stay at a place they can not afford than it would be for a smaller family to 'cheat " in order to stay at a different resort or to even get to go at all. I always remind my DS that WDW is a privlage that 95% of the world never get to have. My advice is to plan, save, bidget and then stay where you can afford to do so honestly.

Jordan's mom

Sorry for the misinformation about teacher and SOG discounts in my earlier post (I will learn to be more informed). I guess I got the wrong idea from some of the posts who stated that they have stayed SOG at the Contemporary. I apologize.

I should have just stayed with my question on why trundles are not offered in larger standard rooms than POR and the fact that deluxe rooms are rarely, if ever, discounted (sometimes I get on a roll).

I also feel it is important to follow the rules and tell the truth. On our last trip it frustrated me to have to pay for a meal my 4 year old would not eat but I paid for him at every meal so my other children could enjoy the Disney Character Meals.

I do however feel that no one should sit in judgement of how many children are in a family and state that they should just be happy with what they have or assume they can work harder. As I have gotten older I have learned not to criticize other's choices or situations. You have no way of knowing what circumstances have lead up to a person's financial or family situation.

Hi Lisa3 - Glad for your input. :)
Not to come off sounding bad, but I don't recall reading here where any one posted others should not have 5 kids, or any kids at all. And guess I don't recall anyone mentioning about anyone working harder or not working hard enough. :confused:
However many kids people want, that's their business. But I don't think they should expect lower rates or free tickets because they have several kids. Or should they get their own group rate? ;) :jester:
I do agree that I would think Disney would offer more rooms with trundle beds. But even at that, I would think five + in a room is really pushing the limits. The rooms aren't that big really. Doesn't sound like a pleasurable vacation to me. ;)

Originally posted by Lisa3
I do however feel that no one should sit in judgement of how many children are in a family and state that they should just be happy with what they have or assume they can work harder. As I have gotten older I have learned not to criticize other's choices or situations. You have no way of knowing what circumstances have lead up to a person's financial or family situation.
I don't think that anyone here is criticizing the # of children in a family; rather, it's more a criticism of the attitude "I chose to have 6 kids, so now it's okay to lie to get what I want." No one is suggesting that anyone work harder to stay at a deluxe resort; as I said, it 's more a matter of priorities. Rather than lie and try to cram 8 people into one hotel room, perhaps the family in question could either look into one of the many alternatives suggested by others on this board or else cut down on the number of trips to WDW until they can afford the correct # of hotel rooms.
WDW isn't a right, and neither is staying in a deluxe resort. It's a privilege that many, many families will NEVER enjoy. So I don't buy the excuse that rather than saving and prioritizing, certain families HAVE to lie, b/c they deserve to cram the 8 people into one room.
And the excuse that the husband is a firefighter is absolutely ridiculous. Last I heard, there was no such thing as a career chip implanted at birth, forcing anyone into certain jobs. My family didn't have much money when I was a child, b/c my father CHOSE to be a construction worker, just as I CHOOSE to be a teacher. And it's very kind of certain hotels like Swan & Dolphin to acknowledge those in service careers like teaching, but, again, this is something the hotel chooses to do, and not a right that I'd expect at all (doesn't really affect me, as we always stay in Disney resorts which don't offer similar discounts).
It's not the personal family circumstances that are being criticized - I grew up great friends with a girl who came from a family of 12, speaking of large families! But, as ethical human beings, they certainly never lied to try to get what they couldn't afford themselves. Either you earn your vacations or you win the lottery, but lying is never an acceptable alternative to just paying your own way.
Cheers!
Heather P

You had to know tht this thread was going to spark the moral police. Disney does make mistakes too. When my son was 9 YO he was charged adult price at the buffet breakfast at the BC/YC. he was not tall or large for his age. I think that it is difficult to guess the age of a child unless you have alot of contact with children of a particular age. Of course my DD who was 11 got charged the childs price. Go figure, Rules are rules. I do find it very odd that at all the hotel chains that I have stayed at the only place I have to pay for my 18 YO is in DW. She is still considered a child at the Holiday Inn and the Marriot. It really is alot easier to tell the truth than to tell a lie but I really don't think I should be the one to judge other peoples action. That gets rather exhausting. I have often wondered why they think that AB at the POR is a safer place to stick 5 people in. I also think that the day bed at the Poly and the other deluxe resorts is the same size bed I slept in until I got married and moved out of my parents house. They have wierd rules at Disney and I don't think it is any more or less safety conscious than a hotel at the shore or other resort area. I was just at a hotel in NJ and the room was quite small and old but the occupancy was for 6 people. It was not as nice as a Disney resort room.

To the original poster-Are you still around???

I really think you cannot go wrong with 2 rooms at the All Stars or a "suites" hotel off site.

You can be squished together in an expensive room in a deluxe or have more room and the knowledge that you did the right thing in a very nice resort- yes, I am talking about the AS!

We may be taking my niece and nephew in Nov. It would be DH, myself, DS (4), niece (13), and nephew (16). That's five of us and I have considered all the options. I think Poly GV concierge would be great and would possibly save us on some food. POR is also a possibility. Two rooms at the AS is probably what we will do. It will give us the most room, more beds, and an extra bathroom. It is also cheaper than 1 room at POR and 1 room at a deluxe that allows 5. I know what it is like to have the kids over in my house over the weekend. I can't imagine doing it in one room!

Originally posted by Disneydenise
You had to know tht this thread was going to spark the moral police. Disney does make mistakes too. When my son was 9 YO he was charged adult price at the buffet breakfast at the BC/YC. he was not tall or large for his age. I think that it is difficult to guess the age of a child unless you have alot of contact with children of a particular age.
I find this very strange. Are you comparing Disney making a wrong guess about your child's age (which, by the way, can be easily corrected), with deliberately lying in order to stuff 8 people into a 4 person room? Just wondering if that is what you actually meant, or if perhaps I misunderstood? Everyone makes mistakes, but when you deliberately decide to lie, and feel that you are somehow justified in the lie b/c of your profession or the number of offspring you've given birth to :confused:, that becomes a whole different story.

By posting that my hubby is a firefighter was not meant to have people think by his career choice he should get something for free. It was meant to explain that we do know about fire codes and what they mean.
We are not the sinister-laughing, mustache twirling, hand wringing people that some people may envision us to be. We are not sitting here plotting to pull the wool over the eyes of Disney. We are going to Disney and staying in a standard room at a deluxe hotel. We will be be quiet and unobtrusive to other hotel guests. We are paying for this trip ourselves and not asking for anyone else to do so. We are not expecting that we are "owed" a suite at the Grand Floridian or concierge at any hotel because we are a large family..we will pay for a hotel room at a particular hotel that my family would like to stay at. The children are willing to share a room as they do at home. They are unaware of the number of people that can fit into a room. So they are obivilous to the points of view expressed here. To them sharing their things is a way of life. So do not think we sit at the dinner table plotting how to do all of this. Disney will get our money for the hotel...money for our meals..and money for our park tickets. I don't see how adding a connecting room for extra$$$$ will benefit my family..it will just keep us in compliance with the fire code.
I wanted to post this point of view as we know that their are all kinds of views to be considered. There are others that feel this way I'm sure. I do not considered us to be immoral, unethical, or just plain dishonest. This is my point of view.

It's not dishonest, as long as Disney says it's okay. But if you're sneaking people into a room and violating fire codes, then, yes, it is dishonest as well as unsafe. I find it so bizarre that you don't see anything wrong with sneaking around the rules and adding people to a room. Do you let Disney know how many people you are packing in there? It's their hotel room, after all, only on loan to you for a fee, and it's Disney who will be paying the exhorbitant amount I'm sure they'll be sued for if the worst happens and children are stuck in a room during a fire. Can you blame them for being concerned about your safety? Why would you risk your children like this, especially since your husband is a firefighter so presumably knows the risks? If you know they'd be safer in 2 All Star rooms, why not go with accommodations like that? And how do you hide your children while you're checking in? Do you pay the extra $50 fee for 4 people in a room, or do you avoid that too? This just boggles my mind, that you don't see a problem with lying and endangering your family and, really, cheating Disney since you're cramming more people into 1 room than is allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter