How wrong is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another option might be the Doubletree Guest Suites in Downtown Disney. I've stayed there recently and couldn't believe how huge those rooms were- they were literally two hotel rooms connected, not like those suite hotels where the front part of the room is a minikitchen or whatever. One side is a kitchen area with a dining table, and a living room area with couch (fold away bed), chair, cocktail table, and console tv, and then a desk with chair by the window! Then a large opening with folding doors to the other side, and it is either a King bed or two queens, with another tv inside an entertainment center, and then a huge built in set of drawers with the whole wall being a mirror over there, and then the bathroom with yet a 3rd tv! I don't know for sure because I don't know the square footage, but I've stayed in both this and All-stars, and it looked to me like this one suite was larger than two all-star rooms. Incredibly vaulted ceilings too, even more so than most hotels it seemed. No balconies at this hotel however. The price on this hotel seems to vary, but usually somewhere between 119 and 169 a night on sites such as Expedia. Anyway, just a thought.

Looks like you got some great advice with a few funnies thrown in. ;)
But besides your kids learning from your actions, I would agree on getting another place or two rooms.
It would be very crowded for your family and not enjoyable, IMHO.

Stay at the HIFS. It's perfect for a larger group and includes a
nice breakfast buffet. The Fl lottery promotion is still going on
making the room $109/night. A real bargain for a deluxe hotel.

If one of your kids are still in a crib, you could stay in the Poly. The rooms sleep 5 and a crib. There are 2 queen beds and a day bed. Just a suggestion. =)

I know this will be an unpopular post but here it goes...clear your minds and try to walk a mile in my kids shoes.
We have 6 children (1 multiple birth). We love our family and the kids (ages 3 to 12) are very close and each others BEST friends. Everyday in our lives we scrimp and save...try to cut corners...share drinks and meals when we eat out. We don't have a big house, have a bedroom for each child or get to mindlessly go to a movie whenever we want. Yes, we wanted a big family and we knew this would be a way of life for us.

Going to Disney is a big deal for us. I don't feel that it is fair to my kids that i have to say no to..."Sorry we can't ever stay at the Wilderness because there are too many people in our family..or..Sorry kids, we can't ever see the animals at akl because there are too many of you you put in one room. Yes we can stay at all stars and get 2 rooms but my kids really wanted to see the 'fancy hotel" and stay there.
We will take 2 camping mattresses, have 2 queen beds. My kids have NO problem sharing bed space (in fact the twins insist on it) And yes we have done this before. As for noise, the way my family wears out after a long day we go to sleep quite quickly. Yes there will be a little more noise but not enough to know that we have 6 kids in one room. We take great pains not to intrude on the rooms around by being loud or obnoxious. As for the fire codes..yes we know they exist..in fact my hubby is a firefighter. We all know public servants do not get paid well enough for what they do. My children give up every 3rd day..for 24 hours... their dad... to go serve our community with fire protection. For all the scrimping we do during the other 51 weeks of the year I want to give my children 1 week of not having to watch our budgets and provide them with vacation magic.

I would definitely say, be honest with Disney about your situation. I think it would be wrong to try to "sneak" extra kids into the room, but if 2 of your children are under age 3, and Disney thus says that it's all right for you to all stay in one room, that wouldn't be a problem.
Another thing to consider is that if you're going on a plan, the room cards are the tickets, so if you tried to add more people in, they wouldn't have the tickets that everyone else in the family did.
As for connor69, I say that this is fine, as long as you're honest about the number of people in the room. But if it's a case where you are packing kids into a room without telling Disney about it, then it becomes an unethical situation. Yes, I understand that public servants are underpaid. Being a teacher, I sympathize. But, as you said, when you choose to have a large family, there are certain sacrifices that must be made. If it were me, making the choice between paying more for the appropriate # of adjoining hotel rooms, or setting a poor example for my children by being dishonest with Disney, I know which I'd choose.
Cheers!
Heather P

Plan Man,

I like the way you resolved the issue for yourself.

The issue of "How Wrong Is This?" comes up over and over again.
I always want to ask "How Wrong does it have to be?!" There are always other options that don't involve bending/breaking the rules.

Doubletree Suites near Downtown Disney has suites that hold six, at very reasonable rates.

Originally posted by hmp2z
As for connor69, I say that this is fine, as long as you're honest about the number of people in the room. But if it's a case where you are packing kids into a room without telling Disney about it, then it becomes an unethical situation.
Cheers!
Heather P
[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of off-site luxury condos that are actually cheaper than AKL and have a much higher occupancy level. AKL rooms are WAY too small to try to cram 8 people in. When you make your reservations, they ask you how many people will stay and the ages of everyone in your party. Are you going to lie about it?

This comment is to no one person in particular, just a generalization about this never ending discussion. It is not intended to offend anyone just my opinion.

When the topic comes around to room occupancy levels, those with more than 4 in their family want everyone to feel sorry for them and allow them to bend the rules to accommidate more than the stated number of persons in the room. They always want understanding for not being able to afford the right accommidation for their family size.

Personally I don't see any difference in the fact that I can not afford a suite at the Grand Floridian. I would love that suite, but I just can not afford it. Do I think Disney should change the rate to accommidate me, No I don't. Do I think I should some how lie about my finanical status and get in the room anyway, no I don't. Do I think that everyone should feel sorry I can't stay there, no I don't.

I stay where I can afford, and I better never hear any one related to me complain about what I can afford. Believe me many children never even get to Orlando, and they would be thrilled to stay offsite.

Disney will ask the names of everyone in your party and believe me when you give them more than 4 names they will not book you one room at the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. No room at Disney is worth lying over.

Most people with large families do not anyone to feel sorry for us or give us a free ride..just a little understanding would do.

Plan Man - good attitude.

I grew up in a family of seven kids so I know what it's like trying to travel with a large family.

Dad, thanks for doing what was right and teaching all of us kids to abide by the rules/law regardless of what we felt we deserved and whether we felt they were right. ;)

I can sympathize with trying to save a buck on vacation. We all do.
But.... Agree "How wrong is this?" I don't think overcrowding a room is fair to anyone: the family or the other guests around them.
I came from a family of five kids. Back then, it wasn't that uncommon. And we sacrificed, and knew we were doing so at the time. But I don't recall my parents doing anything to make us ashamed about there being 5 of us kids.
You will do what you need to. I wouldn't lie. But that's easy for me to say when I don't have any kids (except the four legged kind I leave in a kennel -- that cost me as much as my stay at AS! ;) )
I am rubbed the wrong way when people say others don't feel sorry, give them a free ride, etc. Whose choice was it to have the kids? Disneys? The other guests? The room planner? Just enjoy them and be glad you have them. (Ok -- hope I don't get flamed. But...)
I agree with Sammie. I stay at the AS because so far my (one ;) ) experience has been great there. But let's face it. AS also fits much better in my budget.

Ask when you call CRO, they let my sisters family of 5 stay in a standard room last year with no problem...oh and I agree, Joe was not very nice with his post. Bad Bad Joe! LOL

I agree with Sammie & Luv2Roam. If your family is more than four guests, then one room at All Stars & most of the moderates is not an option. Two (or more) rooms would be an option. rules are not made to be broken - they are in place for a reason - fire code, wear & tear, noise, etc..

A few years ago, my family and I went to Disney with my just turned three year old sister. We, like so many others, did not purchase a ticket for her, and passed her off as two. This is a child who, at the time, weighed 20 pounds soaking wet, and ate so little, you'd think we were starving her. I have listened to my mom plan and plan and plan trips to Walt Disney (OUR trips are in the double digits-haha to all you "couple of time" visitors), and I also see nothing wrong with passing off your child as a two year old. There are just as many people who will pass their kid off as two and see nothing wrong with it as there are people who obviously have hundreds of dollars just lying around, and are willing to pay for their three year old to ride the five or six rides that she is allowed to go on or doesn't scare the living daylights out of her. Next year, when your child is pushing four, then you can see about buying a ticket.

Originally posted by Lil'Magic2000
A few years ago, my family and I went to Disney with my just turned three year old sister. We, like so many others, did not purchase a ticket for her, and passed her off as two. This is a child who, at the time, weighed 20 pounds soaking wet, and ate so little, you'd think we were starving her. I have listened to my mom plan and plan and plan trips to Walt Disney (OUR trips are in the double digits-haha to all you "couple of time" visitors), and I also see nothing wrong with passing off your child as a two year old. There are just as many people who will pass their kid off as two and see nothing wrong with it as there are people who obviously have hundreds of dollars just lying around, and are willing to pay for their three year old to ride the five or six rides that she is allowed to go on or doesn't scare the living daylights out of her. Next year, when your child is pushing four, then you can see about buying a ticket.

????? how does that equate with someone trying to cram 8 people into a room at AKL where the occupancy limit is 4?

I also agree with Sammie & Luv2Roam. I want to do a lot of things in life but if I cannot afford it I do the next best thing. occupancy levels are made for safety not for disney to make more money off your family. Even with these codes you could get two moderate rooms for a price of a deluxe resort room.

Originally posted by Lil'Magic2000

I am speachless...from the tone of your post it sounds like Disney was an inconvience to your family. Why bother then?

I think it crosses every family's mind, if only we could "get away with this" (for lack of a better phrase this early in the moring :) ) but the vast majority of us step up and do the right thing because we are roll models for those young folks we consider breaking the rules for and because IT"S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!

PlanMan, your response to your own question impressed me (but please don't get the dog ;) ) You are a man with a lot of intergity!!

Go with the wilderness cabins we just booked them for 144 a night which would be cheaper than two rooms at any resort besides all star. Plus you get a kitchen and its the best place at disney to stay.

Hobbs28

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter