• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How were the lockdowns for you?

After 5 shots I won't be getting a 6th. And while my household freely took them (and under the same circumstances, with the same inadequate information, would probably do so again), I was completely appalled at what, in practical terms, ended up being coerced vaccination for people in jurisdictions all around the world. :sad2:
I was skeptical of the vaccine from the beginning just reading how it worked. What made the our decision easier was that we had natural immunity before the vaccine came out which I am thankful we did. After handling covid well, we felt comfortable waiting until more data about the vaccine came out to make a final decision. As the data came out, it reinforced our decision not to get it for our situation.

And people would have died during the delay. Not acceptable in my book. And if you work in clinical trials you know they are ongoing. The Polio vaccine is still under study nearly 70 years after it became available. And in 2016, nearly 60 years after it was introduced, health officials switched from trivalent polio vaccine to the bivalent because of what the ongoing trials showed.
The bolded statement was true either way. The other part of the equation is that people are dying FROM the vaccine. Look I don't want to get into this debate as it isn't allowed on the thread but I just have to say that there are pro's and con's to every scenario. People die from things every day and we don't just throw drugs or vaccines at them until they are PROVEN SAFE & EFFECTIVE. The studies for the COVID vaccines studied neither and we as humans should never accept that.

And yes some COVID vaccine trials are still ongoing but they changed the protocol and vaccinated the control group. Now you have no way of knowing the true safety profile of the vaccine.

And with that I will end my reply's here as it will get too far into COVID territory that we aren't allowed to write on in these posts.

All I have to say is that I'm surprised this thread is still up. The ones discussing Covid/vaccines seem to get deleted way quicker than the political ones do.
Yeah, vaccine talk is even off topic for the thread. We should be able to discuss our experiences without bringing in anything about the vaccines or even politics.

It was such a crazy time for so many. I was extremely lucky that I was able to work & get paid and stay home. I also don't have kids. So many really suffered but I really feel the most for the kids. The kids that missed all the interaction at school, the missed meals from school lunches, the missed proms/Senior year/graduations etc. The kids definitely had it the worst. Oh and old people in nursing homes and assisted living. They were kept to their rooms and were not allowed visitors. It is just sad as there has to be a better way for any future pandemics.

Personally I thought that schools, hospitals, nursing homes/assisted living should have invested in air cleaning machines with UV lights. There is a lot of data that using UV lights strategically drastically decreases the amount of viruses/bacteria in the air. This would be beneficial even when there isn't a pandemic going on. Unfortunately no one advocated for something like this. Such a shame...

Yeah, vaccine talk is even off topic for the thread. We should be able to discuss our experiences without bringing in anything about the vaccines or even politics.

It was such a crazy time for so many. I was extremely lucky that I was able to work & get paid and stay home. I also don't have kids. So many really suffered but I really feel the most for the kids. The kids that missed all the interaction at school, the missed meals from school lunches, the missed proms/Senior year/graduations etc. The kids definitely had it the worst. Oh and old people in nursing homes and assisted living. They were kept to their rooms and were not allowed visitors. It is just sad as there has to be a better way for any future pandemics.

Personally I thought that schools, hospitals, nursing homes/assisted living should have invested in air cleaning machines with UV lights. There is a lot of data that using UV lights strategically drastically decreases the amount of viruses/bacteria in the air. This would be beneficial even when there isn't a pandemic going on. Unfortunately no one advocated for something like this. Such a shame...
That's just how these conversations go. I've seen dozens of Covid threads get deleted over on the DCL board. It's only a matter of time for this one, regardless of intentions.

And with that I will end my reply's here as it will get too far into COVID territory that we aren't allowed to write on in these posts.
As I noted up thread, DIS dropped their restrictions on mentioning COVID. So these are now allowed. LOL, so covid must be officially over.

The Covid ones tend to devolve anyway so just give it time.
Well, I noticed a radical drop in Moderation. So I wonder if they have decided that less is more. I went back 3 months and couldn't find a single thread that had been locked.

Lots of lessons were learned. The good news, there will never be another lock down.
I wish I shared your optimism. I really feel like nothing was learned. Every elected official got re-elected, every "expert" whose opinion the shutdowns were based on kept their jobs. You know what they say about the definition of insanity...

I’m a mid-40s gen x latchkey kid and love to watch movies and game. I basically trained for this my whole life. No impact other than becoming a much better cook so we now save money by eating in far more often than pre-pandemic.

We will never all agree on whether some level of lockdown was necessary. That’s not even worth discussing at this point.

All I have to say is that I'm surprised this thread is still up. The ones discussing Covid/vaccines seem to get deleted way quicker than the political ones do.
Have you reported it? :rolleyes1
Well, I noticed a radical drop in Moderation. So I wonder if they have decided that less is more. I went back 3 months and couldn't find a single thread that had been locked.
Unless I'm just missing them, it looked to me like the "Are We Angrier" and the "NAACP/Florida" threads are both gone this morning.

A week before the lockdown started I got a letter from my kid's school telling me how important it was to have in person education as we had taken him out for a week to go to WDW and were taking him out for another couple days to visit family in TX. Now I fight back every time they give me that line. I started a new position with my company the day the lockdown started and have been remote pretty much ever since. Had to invest in a new router as our old one couldn't handle my wife and I working from home and our two kids doing school from home. Stimulus and food savings allowed us to save enough to buy our first house last year.

I wish I shared your optimism. I really feel like nothing was learned. Every elected official got re-elected, every "expert" whose opinion the shutdowns were based on kept their jobs. You know what they say about the definition of insanity...
I think there would be a lot of pushback if a lockdown was tried again though.

Unless I'm just missing them, it looked to me like the "Are We Angrier" and the "NAACP/Florida" threads are both gone this morning.
I think you are right! I can't find them. I'm still not convinced this one won't get taken down eventually.

Interesting. Not locked. Removed. But Political threads are still forbidden. The sticky on Covid posts is gone.

I’m a mid-40s gen x latchkey kid and love to watch movies and game. I basically trained for this my whole life. No impact other than becoming a much better cook so we now save money by eating in far more often than pre-pandemic.

We will never all agree on whether some level of lockdown was necessary. That’s not even worth discussing at this point.
At this point, in this forum - I absolutely agree with you. A discussion should absolutely be taking place though. The mish-mash, State-by-State, County-by-County approach did not work, and will be repeated if the grown-ups don't put aside differences and have a serious post-pandemic discussion.

Yeah, I know, just seeing that in writing seems so absurd - it will never happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter