• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How were the lockdowns for you?

Ahh, is that why that 6 year old NAACP thread got bumped? Someone was probably looking for the recent one.
The NAACP/FLORIDA thread only 2 or 3 days old since the NAACP just announced their travel warning for Florida a few days ago.

At this point, in this forum - I absolutely agree with you. A discussion should absolutely be taking place though. The mish-mash, State-by-State, County-by-County approach did not work, and will be repeated if the grown-ups don't put aside differences and have a serious post-pandemic discussion.

Yeah, I know, just seeing that in writing seems so absurd - it will never happen.

That's true about almost everything right now. The debt ceiling is another good example. It's ok to raise one year but absolutely not the next! Insanity.

And if you actually look back at the beginning of the pandemic it made complete sense for places like NYC to lock down but probably didn't make sense for my city. Hard for me to know for sure though because that initial wave before we understood how to treat people was pretty brutal. I think we all remember the lockdowns past when they had run their course much more than we remember March/April/etc. 2020.

I don't know about you, but I personally did a lot of pushing back in real time. Thus my cynicism.
Given the comments on multiple social media platforms, I guess I think more than just pushback. People are realizing that the response was overblown and they are mad. We live in an area where I didn't have to push back much. We opened up and ditched the masks very quickly.

The NAACP/FLORIDA thread only 2 or 3 days old since the NAACP just announced their travel warning for Florida a few days ago.
There was like an old post regarding the NAACP warning about airline travel that got bumped up to the top of the feed. I saw it this morning. I think it is gone now too.

Yeah, that's the recent one I was referring to. One was bumped this morning about the NAACP and American Airlines from 2017, which is also now gone.

On the upside, we got together with our family and friends as usual and my husband's at-home work turned permanent.

On the downside, my siblings all voted to isolate our parents so my father died (not covid) 6 months into the pandemic without having seen his 4 kids or 12 grandkids in months.
Our state had just resumed allowing funerals, so we all gathered for that.

My FIL died 8 weeks after my dad.
MIL was not allowed to visit him until it was time to turn off the vent.

The adult special needs community was treated terribly by the mask bullies and not welcome into businesses that they used to patronize with their caregivers.
Our governor worded his mask decree to try to avoid this type of behavior, but it failed miserably.
Some of our clients still refuse to visit our old hangouts.

On the upside, some local businesses went out of their way to accommodate the group and provide hang out spaces and have become friends and advocates for our special community.

On the upside, we got together with our family and friends as usual and my husband's at-home work turned permanent.

On the downside, my siblings all voted to isolate our parents so my father died (not covid) 6 months into the pandemic without having seen his 4 kids or 12 grandkids in months.
Our state had just resumed allowing funerals, so we all gathered for that.

My FIL died 8 weeks after my dad.
MIL was not allowed to visit him until it was time to turn off the vent.

The adult special needs community was treated terribly by the mask bullies and not welcome into businesses that they used to patronize with their caregivers.
Our governor worded his mask decree to try to avoid this type of behavior, but it failed miserably.
Some of our clients still refuse to visit our old hangouts.

On the upside, some local businesses went out of their way to accommodate the group and provide hang out spaces and have become friends and advocates for our special community.
:sad:I'm so sorry - for all of it. It's so sad. And the sacrifices were for what exactly? I'm not sure we'll ever truly know if there was a benefit and reading it back now, it seems surreal.

Given the comments on multiple social media platforms, I guess I think more than just pushback. People are realizing that the response was overblown and they are mad. We live in an area where I didn't have to push back much. We opened up and ditched the masks very quickly.
I literally don't personally know anyone who is mad. It was a learning process with a new disease.

To answer the question, how was the lockdown for us. A piece of cake really. Yes, we had to tighten our belts as I had to stop working and didnt qualify for unemployment. We missed some family time. We missed some trips.

But, when I compare the Covid lockdown to my own personal cancer "lockdown" back in 2011/2012, (which was similiar in a lot of ways. I went through a grueling chemo treatment throughout the winter. I was worried about catching something as simple as the common cold and have my counts plummit and have to miss a scheduled chemo treatment. Having my scheduled chemo delayed scared the crap out of me. Therefore, I took it upon myself to stay healthy. To do that, I did a bunch of the Covid precations longgggg before Covid! I missed some Christmas parties. I missed my kids Holiday concerts in crowded auditoriums. I did go to all my sons downhill ski races, but purchased a porta potty for the back of my van to use during the all day long races so I didnt have to go into the crowded lodge. My kids had their friends over, but they all knew not to come if they had a cold. They all used the hand sanitizer that we provided. I sometimes wore a mask. I stayed home a LOT.) Compared to that grueling and scary time, the Covid lockdown was a breeze.

Well, I guess you can count me as one of those people who ended up mad. The school shutdowns in Spring 2020 out of an abundance of caution were bad enough. From Fall 2020 on had NOTHING to do with COVID - and really messed up especially High School aged kids, girls in particular, and there is plenty of data to support that. Meanwhile just using LA county data, population just north of 10 MILLION, not one person under the age of 18 died. Worse is we knew that was going to be the outcome going in based on data from Korea and all of the other states who didn't keep the schools shut down. Seems like the school board members and the Governor, not to mention the appointed health directors should have all been voted out/lost their jobs, but no. With very few exceptions, they are all still in office. We learned nothing.

It's all well and good to say, "never again", but it shouldn't have happened THIS time, and this time affected MY kids. You bet I'm mad.

I literally don't personally know anyone who is mad. It was a learning process with a new disease.
I know a lot who are mad but not enough. There are too many people like you who have the same attitude and I don't necessarily blame you. The problem is that they knew that the lockdowns would not work. Fauci, Redfield, Burke, etc... They all knew. The leaders know now but they would do it again in a heartbeat.

Our biggest saving grace is that we have some local leadership like Florida & other states that won't do it again. But NY - 100% they would do it again and it still wouldn't work.
Well, I guess you can count me as one of those people who ended up mad. The school shutdowns in Spring 2020 out of an abundance of caution were bad enough. From Fall 2020 on had NOTHING to do with COVID - and really messed up especially High School aged kids, girls in particular, and there is plenty of data to support that. Meanwhile just using LA county data, population just north of 10 MILLION, not one person under the age of 18 died. Worse is we knew that was going to be the outcome going in based on data from Korea and all of the other states who didn't keep the schools shut down. Seems like the school board members and the Governor, not to mention the appointed health directors should have all been voted out/lost their jobs, but no. With very few exceptions, they are all still in office. We learned nothing.

It's all well and good to say, "never again", but it shouldn't have happened THIS time, and this time affected MY kids. You bet I'm mad.
You are very right!! And not just kids but seniors & others. As a country we should NEVER have let it happen before but now we should NEVER let it happen again. Unfortunately too many believe that it wasn't deliberate and that government didn't know. As I said above... they knew and they didn't care how it would ruin so many lives.

I know a lot who are mad but not enough. There are too many people like you who have the same attitude and I don't necessarily blame you. The problem is that they knew that the lockdowns would not work. Fauci, Redfield, Burke, etc... They all knew. The leaders know now but they would do it again in a heartbeat.

Our biggest saving grace is that we have some local leadership like Florida & other states that won't do it again. But NY - 100% they would do it again and it still wouldn't work.

You are very right!! And not just kids but seniors & others. As a country we should NEVER have let it happen before but now we should NEVER let it happen again. Unfortunately too many believe that it wasn't deliberate and that government didn't know. As I said above... they knew and they didn't care how it would ruin so many lives.
But if it was deliberate, what was the motivation? To intentionally ruin lives?

I find this to be a very interesting thread. I was one of the ones back at the beginning saying the lockdowns were a ridiculous over the top overreaction and I got so much hate on these boards for it! Luckily our state/county was one of the ones who barely shut down, I think we had like 6 weeks of “lockdown”. We were back eating in indoor restaurants the first week of May 2020. We immediately went back to family/friend get togethers and hugs and meals and normal life. Even during those 6 weeks everyone in my immediate family (me, DH, 2 teenage kids) still worked. I’m glad to see that people are finally coming around to some common sense and realizing how crazy they were all acting. And somehow despite all my traveling and zero precautions I have still managed to avoid ever getting Covid! I stand behind what I said back then, people suck at risk assessment! I will say I was never ignorant to people, if a store required a mask, I wore one.

Citations, please?

I find this to be a very interesting thread. I was one of the ones back at the beginning saying the lockdowns were a ridiculous over the top overreaction and I got so much hate on these boards for it! Luckily our state/county was one of the ones who barely shut down, I think we had like 6 weeks of “lockdown”. We were back eating in indoor restaurants the first week of May 2020. We immediately went back to family/friend get togethers and hugs and meals and normal life. Even during those 6 weeks everyone in my immediate family (me, DH, 2 teenage kids) still worked. I’m glad to see that people are finally coming around to some common sense and realizing how crazy they were all acting. And somehow despite all my traveling and zero precautions I have still managed to avoid ever getting Covid! I stand behind what I said back then, people suck at risk assessment! I will say I was never ignorant to people, if a store required a mask, I wore one.
I feel you! We very much lived the same way in our area. My kids were back in school in person the next school year, thank goodness. I was slammed on these boards too and got lots of points...lol. Natural immunity? Don't mention that. Not getting the vaccine? Blasphemy. It didn't matter what data I showed or if I explained why we made the decisions we did. Sadly, some people are still that way even after all the data that has come out.

I was working as a sub at the school (wasn't hired on at that point) so I wasn't working and was just at home;
DH was considered essential personel so he still went to work like normal; they did go from a 5 day week to a 3 day week; tuesday - thursday but were paid for 5 which was nice. We just watched movies, played games, DH did homework (he was/is going to college online)

we still hung out with friends, we still went out and did things - it didn't really bother us

I feel you! We very much lived the same way in our area. My kids were back in school in person the next school year, thank goodness. I was slammed on these boards too and got lots of points...lol. Natural immunity? Don't mention that. Not getting the vaccine? Blasphemy. It didn't matter what data I showed or if I explained why we made the decisions we did. Sadly, some people are still that way even after all the data that has come out.
What data exactly? The data that shows that the vaccines have saved peoples lives?? That the Covid precations that folks did, saved lives?

If you believe in natural immunity and that the vaccine is bad, so be it. But there is plenty of data that shows that the vaccine has been a literal lifesaver!

Funny, two weeks ago, I was at the Boston Museum of Science and they had a great little display that spelled out in simple terms how the vaccine was developed in record time and how effective it has been. Its all about science!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter