• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How were the lockdowns for you?

Not bad. We never totally locked down. Went grocery shopping and picked up carry-out. The kids had virtual learning about 2 months and were back to in-person school in the fall. Our neighborhood kids played together outside after about a month. My daughter played softball in the summer of 2020.

ETA: We also flew to Florida to visit my parents in May 2020. Mostly stayed at their house besides grocery shopping, but they have a pool so the kids were happy.

Some people at work died from COVID. One of my friends died from it.

Bought TP when folks in the EU started hoarding it. So I bought it up a month before the chaos.

I delayed house repairs. That I have been getting done now.

I visited Glacier NP in 2020.

Got Zoom fatigue by 2022.

I’m watching Staged on BritBox, and it brings back memories.

I always feel odd answering questions related to Lockdown, so many folks had not great experiences. Honestly - we (husband and I) had to quarantine in Dec., 2020 when we both came down positive. Got out of quarantine on Christmas Eve and were able to spend the holiday w/ family but those days leading up to it in quarantine drove us CRAZY! Knowing you couldn't go anywhere and were house-bound essentially was less than fun - there is only so much TV you can watch, but did catch up on some reading! So yeah, for 10 days we were "stuck" and not feeling great for the first 3 or so days...but hey, you do what you've got to do.
*never stopped going to work
*never stopped going into stores as needed
*traveled to FL a few times - flying in those early days was great, had airplanes practically to ourselves!
*had it easy in that we did not have young kids in school so no dealing with virtual schooling which I fully admit would have been my undoing!
*also we were lucky enough not to have any immediate family members with immunity issues.
*also, we live on a farm and had plenty to keep us busy in terms of outside chores most of the year, so it wasn't like we were stuck inside whenever we were home
*one of the hats at work I wear is Safety Mgr., so there was constant reviewing of the Covid policy I was putting out and keeping up with that and making sure everyone did what they were supposed to - but I am proud to say we avoided any major "outbreaks" on both jobsites & here in the office-including keeping safe a very valued member of my office staff that has some major health issues that Covid would have exacerbated. But - we are fortunate enough to have a large office and everyone has their own office w/ a door so we were all able to come into work and still be productive and stay safe.
So, in general the Lockdowns were more business as normal for us rather than a huge disruption to everyday life I'm thankful to report.

Honestly, really good. We are in FL so our weather was always good - we were pretty much outside all the time. The pool was our lifeline. We also bought a golfcart after my dad died (he had a motorcycle that we sold and used the $$ for the golfcart) so we'd take rides around the neighborhood, feed the ducks, etc.

I'm a teacher so we did virtual schooling which was a PITA but definitely easier than being in the classroom. My little guy was in daycare (it obviously closed) so it felt like a joy to get to spend every day at home with him.

Lockdown really helped me SLOW DOWN and prioritize what was important. It was all hallmarked by my dad's passing i May 2020 (not COVID related).

Some days, I wish we could go back to it... not the rampant illness and death but the slow way of life.

I’m a teacher and our school was virtual for right at a year. DH is in law enforcement, so he still went to work every day. I got very lonely at home. I missed my colleagues and the kids. Things were so stressful for DH at work that when he came home, I was ready to talk a mile a minute and he wanted to go to his man cave and decompress.

I went to the grocery about once a week and picked up lots of carry out food, but that was about it.

We survived. We chose to assume all the decisions were being made objectively and wisely, and conformed almost completely to all the restrictions. In hindsight, knowing a lot more than we did then and being able to weigh the cost, we wouldn't do the same again.

This.....DH was one that was vulnerable......so we were very careful and stayed home most of the time. Fine with me. I really don't like being around many people
My dad had a major heart attack in Feb. 2020, so we were very nervous about him getting it. And my then-94 year old grandmother (who avoided Covid until last fall - she got monoclonal antibodies which actually improved her dementia temporarily).

In my state, businesses closed down for just a few weeks. Then it was back to business almost as usual. We travelled during the pandemic and went about our normal lives. Just an annoying bump in the road.
Most non-essential businesses here closed for 6 months...things like barber shops. Then they could reopen with very tight restrictions. I got my hair cut last week and the barbers are still wearing masks, and they have eliminated walk in hair cuts, you have to have an appointment. Oh, and their prices went from $12 to $17 for a hair cut. :oops: The barbers said they survived just find since the covid relief unemployment benefits were more than they would have made working.....$1,150 a week.
My company had about 30 people who had to report to the building, the remaining 100 or so were virtual for at least 15 months. The sales and business office folks stayed virtual for 17 months. 2 people I know of were terminated for refusing to get vaccinated. No deaths among our staff, but one co-worker lost 6 family members to covid.
My wife's job classification never went virtual, but to keep the head count down in the building, she worked 4 days a week in the building, and had one day off "on call" with full pay.
Over all, it was probably the best working situation in my 42 year career. I retired 5 weeks after I returned to the building to work. But I do know several co-workers who had serious issues with having to work from home. They really needed the in person interaction. But IMHO, their work was much better quality from home.

In my state, businesses closed down for just a few weeks. Then it was back to business almost as usual. We travelled during the pandemic and went about our normal lives. Just an annoying bump in the road.
You were lucky. Our state was one of the ones who dragged everything out for far too long.

I know it’s horrible but I’ll always look back on at least that part of covid fondly. My kids were ALL home ALL the time and that never happens. We had fun watching movies, playing games, swimming, etc. It was a time of “forced togetherness” that was really nice. I miss it sometimes. Just the togetherness part of it

Husband worked from home for 6 months. Kids had to do virtual learning from March 2020 until May, 2021. ☹️ We did fly to WDW for 10 days Thanksgiving of 2020. Made the most of it.

2 people I know of were terminated for refusing to get vaccinated.
That's terrible.
I'm an employer, and we were in a position to offer all of our employees the opportunity to vaccinate before it was opened up for the general public and I was surprised how few of them took us up on it, and I watched as ardent anti-vax folks who worked for me got it, one's husband was hospitalized for 2 weeks but I'd NEVER terminate someone for making the choice for themselves. Now we do have different protocols for those who have exposures/covid that is dependent on if they are vaccinated or not. But fire someone? No.

I work in a medical office so my routine was the same. I worked the same schedule as always. We spaced patients out more, and our doctors did a lot of telehealth, but I was always there to register them, even if it was over the phone. Insurances still had to be called.

We kept our distance from vulnerable family members and thankfully they all stayed well.

I worked every day, essential business, so not much changed for me. Oddly enough we only had 1 case of Covid the entire time and it was mild :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter