How scary is Splash Mountain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alison Wonderland

<font color=green>I thought I saw a small one in t
Is it a slow ride except for the drop at the end or is it more like a roller coaster?

Ali -

Aside from the drop, there's nothing scary about Splash Mountain (and even that is over relatively quickly!). The rest of it is fairly calm, although there's a small drop or two - nothing at all severe. The rest finds you floating through some unique and really incredibly rendered settings.

Never fear, just enjoy!

Richard

I do *not* like roller coasters. I do not like big drops.

I do like Splash Mtn. I think because you're in water, it does not "drop" as fast as a coster.

The rest of the ride is not scary at all, just a couple "little" drops inside (no more than 1 story).

My mom is not a coaster fan at all, but she will ride Splash Mountain. I think there's something about the water not being as bad!!:)

My 10 year old daughter loves it. I would suggest you download the movie file of Splash Mountain that is located on The DIS homepage.

I am a ride WIMP!
I rode SM twice this last trip. The only part I really didn't like the first time was "The Laughing Place" part of the ride. It's a bit like the drop in Pirates, in the dark. But the second time I knew what to expect so it was fun......what a laughing place :laughing:
However, I will say that the large drop looks much worse than it is. I really enjoyed SM and would ride it again and again :teeth:

My five year old DD rides SM with her hands up in the air...practically the whole time, lol!! It's a great ride!

I disagree w/everyone here.

I ride Splash Mountain to appease my 8-yo daughter, but I'm gritting my teeth, closing my eyes and white-knuckled during the drop. I don't like the way it's so slow at the beginning because I know what's ahead.

I guess the fear gets worse w/age (46 years). What makes it worse is DH and DD are laughing the whole time! At me!!!!

Wish me luck when we visit again November 8th-15th. :earsboy: :earsgirl: :Pinkbounc

TECHNIQUE FOR RIDING SM THAT HAS WORKED FOR ME AND MY FRIENDS (I'm moderately nervous about rides --- didn't go on Space Mountain for 10 years and screamed so much my 1st time on BTM that a 6 y/o kid turned around and looked at me and my knees were shaking when I got off. Now I do them all):

Sit back in your seat and put your arms straight up as you're getting ready for the big drop.
When you reach the top, look straight ahead and focus on how beautiful the castle is (especially gorgeous at night).
This forces you to look up and out. DO NOT look down. It might make you feel like you're falling.
Remember that the drop is less than 2 seconds, so ---- no matter what --- it will be over incredibly quickly.
And SMILE AND LAUGH. Attitude is half the battle. Plus, it makes a great picture.

Hope you can enjoy it!

Splash Mt ride last about 10 minutes, mostly gentle floating thru fun scenaries. Don't miss it for a 3 seconds not-that-scary drop.

The ride is so quiet that the logs don't have a seat-belt or a restraint, only a bar you can hold with your hands.

It's wonderful. I was wondering the same thing, but it was fine. It was a gentle smoth ride and then the end is over before you know it. Don't worry about it and have fun.

You can stand outside & watch the boats drop. I promise that it's much easier than it looks. They build it up to scare you, especially that last lift hill, but really, it's a cute ride with one good splash-down at the end. You will get wet though! ;)

KDA.........you are definately on target here! I do not have a picture from SM yet, but I am certainly hoping for one in December!

Kim

P.S. Still trying to convince my mom to give SM a try......any way to persuade her would be helpful!

Nope not like a roller coaster. More like you go up slowly then you go down.

As you go through the mountain the drops become "deeper". Amazingly its not the last drop that gets me it's the one right before the last drop.

This one has a double dip up down up down. Sort of like a mini roller coaster feeling.

But at that point I know that I'm almost to the big drop. Sitting in the log boat at the top and looking out at the park is way cool.

Now if I could just keep my eyes open all the way down.

Renee

I love Splash Mountain. It is one of my favorite rides. It is not scary at all. You will definitely regret it if you skip this ride.

::MickeyMo

If you can get the very front seat, the sight below you is awesome and really makes the ride. Take off your hats first as I have lost two on SM

I made myself ride Splash Mountain on a recent trip and it was the second drop (in the dark) that got to me. I agree that the final drop wasn't as bad as that one. I did enjoy the beginning and am glad I did it once - but that was enough. It isn't worth the anxiety for me!! I was shaking when I got off. :earseek:

I absolutely love Splash Mt. It is one of the highlights of my trip. My kids love it too! (8,8,12,14) They've been going on this ride for several years now. My dh doesn't do this ride because of his back.

As mentioned above, the ride is very tame and gets a little wilder as you go. The last drop is not as bad as it looks to people watching on the bridge. You do get some very cool views of the park (especially at night) from the ride.

For an older child or adult the big drop at the end is the only potentially scary thing.................and that is over quick. Otherwise it is a fairly slow floating ride through wonderful scenes, with a couple of smaller drops here and there.

For a young child it can be a little scarrier. There is the big drop, and the slow climb up the dark hill with the vultures red beady eyes which can be frightening. The smaller drops aren't that bad for young kids, but one of them leads to the Laughing Place, which is a fairly dark part of the ride and can be a little scary for young kids.

BTW - love your user name. My DD called Alice Alison for some time. :rotfl:

I don't think Splash Mountain is that scary, but my mother would definitely disagree.

You should try it at least once. It's a great ride, definitive Disney stuff. Millions have survived, and even if you don't like it, you can at least say that you gave it a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter