How safe is the Fort?

ShelliRenee

Disney Princess trapped in a fat girl's body!
We will be doing our first camping trip in November at the Fort. We do go camping in our pop-up every other weekend. I have only stayed at one campground where I was afraid stuff outside might "walk off." My question is, if we leave things unlocked outside of the camper, are they likely to be stolen?

Depends a little on what you are talking about leaving out. Chairs, coolers we have never had a problem with, now bicycles, we always lock, take away easy opportunity for a kid to joy ride, we also have electric Ecosmart scooters, lock them to the camper too.

All I can say is I've left out bicycles, reclining lawn chairs and tablecloths without trouble. The biggest risk is the wild life. Grouchy wild turkeys are not cool.

Many times theft is all about opportunity. If you leave things of value laying around you are making it easy for a thief. Disney as a whole is a pretty safe place but it doesnt exist in a bubble (except Walts original EPCOT plans)

Depends a little on what you are talking about leaving out. Chairs, coolers we have never had a problem with, now bicycles, we always lock, take away easy opportunity for a kid to joy ride, we also have electric Ecosmart scooters, lock them to the camper too.

Many times theft is all about opportunity. If you leave things of value laying around you are making it easy for a thief. Disney as a whole is a pretty safe place but it doesnt exist in a bubble (except Walts original EPCOT plans)

The posters cited above offer very good advice. The old adage " A lock only reminds an honest man to remain honest.", has a lot of truth. Recently we have seen more accounts of bicycles being stolen at the fort and in most instances they were left unsecured.Good rule of thumb, A thief will take what they see and is accessible.

Very safe. We have been camping there since the 70's. Never had anything touched. Only thing I've ever heard of stolen are expensive bicycles. We currently camp in an unsecured pop-up and leave out all our stuff with no problems ever. I suppose leaving a bunch of high end, pricey equipment outside while you are away or asleep could be a temptation anywhere.

My question is, if we leave things unlocked outside of the camper, are they likely to be stolen?
It sounds like you are used to camping outside of the Fort. I camp at a lot of state parks, COE cgs, and private places (KOA). Overall, most campers are probably more respectful of others things. The Fort has a "feeling" of being more secure than a regular campground. So to answer your question, are things left outside likely to be stolen? No, probably less likely than a non-Fort campground, but as other have noted, with 800 sites and 400 cabins, that is a lot of people in a smallish space. Things will happen. Bicycles seem to be the most common item lately. I personally have never had anything stolen from a site in 40 years of camping. The only thing I have ever locked up outside was my road bike, but it is a $4,000 bicycle.

j

Based on what I've read on here and on a Fort Facebook group I've joined, I'm inclined to think that property theft is something to consider when preparing for a trip to the Fort.
TeamBradford and family had their door jimmied while they were in the parks. I don't think anything was stolen, and they suspect their loyal dog scared them off, but I'm sure the incident violated their sense of security nonetheless.
There have been several instances of bikes driving themselves away.

I suspect the permeable nature of the Fort, in addition to its size, contributes to it.

We tend to camp in state parks in our home state (TX), and our state parks have park rangers that are very active, involved, and are licensed law enforcement. They patrol at night, and in many parks the gates are locked after a certain time. In addition, a person has to check in, pay (unless they are a parks pass holder), and keep a parking pass in the window. They check license plate numbers as you check in. In other words, you aren't hanging out at the park without their knowledge. Even with all this, we lock bikes when we are leaving for the day. We also hide our nice cooler since we've been told that the RTIC/Yeti type coolers are sometimes stolen in Texas campgrounds during the summer.

We do leave our camp chairs out unless we are expecting rains and/or winds.

We've never had anything stolen, but we also haven't been camping long. I realize that if they want it they will take it; however, we will do what we can not to be the low-hanging fruit.

Ok ,so im still in the dont leave food out for wild life camp. No good can come of it.
As for saftey, its everywhere, not just camping but at home too. And most of it is common sense. Dont leave a 50 inch tv outside and no one will steal it. Lock up the bikes. Like i said, i have a pop up camper, so stuff gets locked away in the tv. Door to the pop up is open is open( even if it wasnt its easy enough to slip your hand under the canvas, lol), make yourself a sandwich and have a drink while im in the parks, not much i can do. Just be gone before i return:drinking:. Cant worry about everything, just be smarter in how you plan. It will work out.

I know people joke about the squirrels but they are crazy there lol. My husband and I were eating Mickey bars and one tried to chase and climb on our laps for real. This may seem cute but when it happens I was freaking out laughing and screaming at the same time lol. Seriously make sure no food around they will find a way. Be careful with bikes and valuables. Otherwise you'll be fine. It's a beautiful magical place!

Have to add, only time I've ever had anything took from our campsite, and it wasn't at the fort but at a local state park, was a little wooden table, about 2' long and 1 1/2' wide and couple feet tall. Made it myself, holds my tools when grilling, can put my dutch oven on it to check the food. Funny thing is, they dumped off the $40 leather heat gloves and the lid lifter and took the table. If they would have just asked, I probably would have given it to them since it wasn't that hard to make. As far a yeti cooler, that I would probably keep in camper and secured, heard a some stolen last year in some state parks here. Biggest thing with the yetis is, if they are caught stealing the cooler and you can prove it's yours, they could be charged with a felony because of the cost.

It’s a Fort - about as safe as it gets!

(I slay me.) :duck:

Obviously you forgot who you are in this discussion with. With the cast of characters around here we are more like "Fort Courage" from F TROOP Fame than say:
FORT APACHE They had JOHN WAYNE, Ward Bond, Victor Mclaughlin, Ben Johnson, Harry Carey Jr , Henry Fonda, and Shirley Temple and later on Rin Tin Tin
FORT PETTICOAT They Had Audie Murphy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter