How many suitcases?

lrab1126

I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing
This will be our first big trip w/ 2 kids in tow. Last time we traveled it was just us 2 and I think 2 suitcases... I know this is likely the case now. So i need some idea of how many suitcases I should be planning on for us and a 5yr old and an almost 3 yr old. I am planning to buy 2 new very large luggage pieces hoping this will help keep down the amount of pieces we need to take. Any packing tips for the kids, like how many outfits and such. I am admittedly an over packer and I try so hard not to...i literally pack and unpack a suitcase at least 3 times before we travel...i start packing like a week before and its a vicious cycle of me trying to eliminate some of my over packing tendencies but it never seems to work hahaha. So any tips ?

Let's just way that I believe in using luggage limits. I do not like to be without anything I might need. (I'm the type who always packs a sewing kit, even though I don't think we've ever used it!) We have usually had to "dress" for dinner on many of our vacations too, so that has a lot to do with our mass quantities of luggage too! Depending on how long you're going for, you may be able to get all the girl's clothes into one suitcase, and pack their "gear" in the other. OR split it 50-50 between the two cases in case you're flying and one gets delayed. We traveled on a cruise with our son when he was 2 1/2. We were able to pack all of his stuff in one VERY LARGE duffel bag (including diapers) that was probably 4 feet long. The issue I have, is that now my son does not like to be dirty/wet, so I always have to have an extra change of clothes on hand.....

I think the key is to be organized. I make a list of the clothes each person will need, and then decide how much "extra" space I have after all of the other necessities are packed. Large gallon ziplocs are a good idea to save space in bags. Pack one outfit for the girls in a bag, push out the air, and it will help save on space. If possible, I would ship diapers down ahead of time, just to save the room in the bags, or consider a grocery delivery service for heavy and bulky items! Don't forget to weigh your bags if you're flying too!

goof tip on shipping the diapers, i do plan to ship a box of odds and ends down and we will be using garder grocer to deliver groceries. I too need to pack everything we might need, which is my problem...including my first aid kit. i like the ziploc bag idea. Now as for weight....what are the limits generally ? I never even considered that as an issue. ugh packing stinks hahaha

I believe most airlines limit you to 2 50 lbs or less suitcases per passenger. The weight limit is to protect the baggage handlers. The really big suitcases(29") can easily weigh over 50 lbs & they're very difficult to handle. I think the 25" or 21" are much better choices. Usually in a luggage set there is a way to attach the small bag to the handles of the larger size so that 1 person can roll them both thru the airport. Your girls clothing is very small, shldn't need much room for them. I also suggest not packing with 1 suitcase for 1 person but to distribute things throughout all the suitcases so if one suitcase never makes it, no one will be without some clothes. And we always carryon a full change of clothes & a bathing suit.

I also suggest not packing with 1 suitcase for 1 person but to distribute things throughout all the suitcases so if one suitcase never makes it, no one will be without some clothes. And we always carryon a full change of clothes & a bathing suit.

We do the same. We will probably bring 3 suitcases for 4 people. Everyone's clothes gets split up among the suitcases just in case one gets lost.

I also agree with the full change in carryon. In our carry ons we usually pack one change of clothes, pjs, bathing suit, and toiletries to make it through one night. I've had luggage show up a day late (not at WDW) many times in my life and I now always make sure I can live without it for at least one day without having to shop or wash clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter