How long after death for funeral?

I think a funeral happens right after a death and a memorial service can happen whenever. 'Funeral' to me means there is a burial involved. I think anything more than a week later should be called a memorial service.

Even though the burial is more than a week after death?

Some religions are the DAY after the person has passed. (I want to say Jewish and Muslim funerals are like this!)

Personally I like it quick and easy. The longer you wait, it just gets so much more challenging.. emotionally and logistically.

Some religions are the DAY after the person has passed. (I want to say Jewish and Muslim funerals are like this!)

Personally I like it quick and easy. The longer you wait, it just gets so much more challenging.. emotionally and logistically.

I guess that depends on the circumstances. When my mom died it happened very suddenly (she died in her sleep at age 50) so we hadn´t begun any preperations before she died. We knew we would have very many people coming to the funeral (there were more than 700!) and we needed the time to organize things such as music (we had lots of musicians play at the funeral), catering, flowers, etc.

My dad died suddenly on a Tuesday, he was waked Wed and Thurs and the funeral was Friday. That's typically how it is around here for Catholics. I've never been to a Jewish funeral but I know that they are the next day and then they sit shiva. I don't know that I could handle waiting a few weeks for a funeral of a family member or close friend. I dread funerals(who doesn't) to the point where I get myself almost physically sick. If I had to dwell on what was to come for a couple of weeks:scared1::scared1:

I just had a friend lose her sister last week. She died on Sunday and the wake was Tues and Wed, funeral Thurs. I could see how exhausted the whole family was so I told DH that when I go, have a quick service and then just sit around and talk about how wonderful I was;)

I know this isn't a reply but i just had a question i need some insight on... now my mom passed away Aug. 30 2009 and she was cremated and she had a viewing the day before she was cremated.... but i had to wait 2 days for the viewing but it was closed so not alot of people came... but... if someone died say this morning... what would be the chances of having a funeral the same day they died??

What length of time is customary to have a funeral after someone dies? Someone I work with died this weekend and her husband is planning the funeral for three weeks from now. That seems like a long time out to me.

Meh. My husband's grandmother died in January in Buffalo a few years ago. they kept her on ice until Memorial Day weekend and had the funeral then. The ground was too frozen to bury her at the time of death. They waited until there was a thaw and could get the family together.

Well I've come to this myself . To answer some here who wonder why so late some people will have a funeral is sometimes the deceased did not pay for the arrangements. The funeral home won't do the burial until it's paid and to gather 10 to 15k is hard for some families. At this point in time I'd suggest to check with the funeral home to see if the loved one can be viewed.

Well I've come to this myself . To answer some here who wonder why so late some people will have a funeral is sometimes the deceased did not pay for the arrangements. The funeral home won't do the burial until it's paid and to gather 10 to 15k is hard for some families. At this point in time I'd suggest to check with the funeral home to see if the loved one can be viewed.

At this point, the OP's post is referring to someone who has been deceased for 10 years. What prompts people to register on a DIS site, just to bring up a post this old?

White people's funerals are typically 3 days after death, unless that 3rd day would be on a Sunday, then they'd move it to Sat/Mon instead.

Black families usually have more time - 5-7 days or more, I guess because of the reasons listed above, and maybe it's cultural.

The big thing here is to have a viewing from, say 5-7 pm, then the "funeral" immediately after viewing hours are done, then the burial the next day. I've always seen viewing/calling hours at the funeral home one day, then the funeral the next, with the burial immediately following the funeral. It saves the funeral home staff hours - one day of lots of guests opposed to two. Quite a few funerals here are also at the chapel of the funeral home, as opposed to being at the church the deceased belonged to.

Such an odd post.

There are lots of reasons, perhaps their minister or priest is unavailable until then, family can't get here until then, etc.

I think, for the most part, wakes and funerals are changing from what they used to be. I remember the norm being at least two days of wake prior to the day of the funeral and they were invariably open caskets. It seems now the norm is one day of wake and a funeral day with closed caskets being more common. Also, more people are opting for cremation and donation to science with only a memorial service that can be anytime, with or without a body.

I know some people who live for funerals and can get downright morbid. We had a closed casket for my mother and one aunt
Major Airlines and Basic Economy

was upset because it was the first time she could kiss the deceased. My sister-in-law will drop everything for a good funeral and be at the wake and funeral for every minute. I understand the benefit of being with friends and family during such times (the living ones, of course), but I don't like sitting around staring at someone who's dead and saying how "good they look." I'm sorry, but they look pretty dead to me!

I can remember in the OLD DAYS when the wake was a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter