How do you save for kids college fund?

We have two kids. They each have a Education Savings Account that we put $2,000 per year into since birth. Then, they each have a 529 plan that we put $200 per month into, also since birth. Then we have a MasterCard linked up through Fidelity that puts 2% of all purchases into my daughter's 529 (she is older and we can always transfer the money to her brother if needed). We charge everything, so this can easily be another $30+ per month. Finally, my in-laws put aside money when they were born, but I don't know how much.

At 5 and 6 they probably have more saved for them than a good amount of high school seniors. I put myself through college. My parents saved nothing... And I mean not one cent. Sometimes during school breaks, I had no food, I had to pay for my own bus trips home, it was crazy. I also graduated early and took 22+ credits per semester while working two jobs. While I learned a lot, especially about money, I don't want that for my kids. Plus, I like saving and living frugally. It's fun!

I don't understand people who say they WON'T save for college for their children. I understand people who CAN'T save for college, although I believe that most people (not all) could save something if it was a priority for them to do so. Flame away if you must but that's my opinion.

We started a savings account for my oldest daughter when she was born and we set up an automatic deposit into it every month. In the early days, it wasn't much (we were still paying our own student loans back then) but the monthly deposit increased as the years went by. Later, we opened a 529 account and started depositing into that. Our daughter is a senior in high school this year and is in the process of applying at colleges right now. We also have a 4 year old daughter and we will continue to save for her college education.

Save for retirement first, college second. Happy saving, OP!

It's super expensive now! Well, luckily FA paid for the majority of my schooling and I only needed to pull out a loan of about $6000 which I paid off very quickly. DH on the other hand...:scared1:

I think had my parents paid for my entire education, I wouldn't think the way I do today. I don't think I would have understood how much 'real life' costs, if that makes sense. I certainly wouldn't understand the value of a buck. They didn't pay for their education either (even though my dad's side of the family is very wealthy and could have easily paid off 4 years of education in one check, they chose not to.)

Before going to college, I literally thought money grew out of my backyard. But when I got to college and started paying on my own, I was like, "Woah. I really can't play around right now." I started making wiser decisions regarding money, and became even MORE thankful, when my parents would help out buying some books.

Would it have been easier had my parents and my husbands parents paid for all of our education? ABSOLUTELY! Man we'd have $800 to play with each month! :cloud9: :lmao: However, i'm not sure we would have the knowledge of money/saving/paying bills like we do now.

We DEFINITELY will help our kids in anyway possible during college and would never let them fall behind (I just KNOW i'm going to be a sucker and slip a few extra hundred or two into their pockets every now and then to make doubly sure they're okay :lmao:).
I see two separate issues here:

1. It's important to teach a child the value of a dollar well before college.

Kids are capable of starting to grasp financial facts about the time they start school. I clearly remember an early lesson with my then 6-7 year old daughter: We were at the movies, and she wanted a tube of M&M minis, which cost $1.50 at that point. I gave her $2 and told her she could have the tube NOW . . . or she could save her $2 until after the movie, and we'd go to the grocery store where she could buy THREE tubes with her $2. She questioned how this could be, and she was suspicious that I was wrong, but the lure of three candies was strong. It was one of the first times she grasped that wise choices could make your money go farther.

Since then she's had plenty of other similiar experiences, and when she heads out to college next fall she'll be going with some idea of what "real life" costs. I've put lots of effort into preparing her, and although she will occasionally mess up and although she'll need to hone her skills, she's ready.

What won't work, however, is waiting 'til the child's 17-18 and assuming that making them responsible for college will suddenly teach them to manage money. Sink or swim has never been a good idea.

2. Paying for college.

This is a huge expense, but it's not really the same as teaching a child about money. The biggest reason is that students who "pay their own way" tend to do it with loans. Loans are easy to get, and although they might give the college student an occasional "this is hanging over my head" pang, they can easily have a feel of unreality. They don't teach college kids the value of a dollar -- that lesson comes after college when the paying back begins. I know quite a few students who are taking out loans, yet they don't work during the summer; I can't help thinking "they don't get it".

You could divide those two topics into "Teach your child while he's still in your house" and "Reinforce those lessons once he's out of your house". Or "Under 18" and "Young adult".

I'm sure that the best road is a middle-of-the-road approach: I'll pay for these expenses, and you're responsible for those expenses. Ideally, "those expenses" should be high enough for the student to pay via a job, but not so much that they will need to take out loans. Assigning the student a portion of the college bill reinforces the same financial lessons about which you're concerned, but doesn't burden the student with loans later.
First of all, unless they get a stellar scholarship, I expect DD's to go to one of the wonderful in-state universities we have in CA. Not that they are cheap, but certainly more reasonable than the private schools.
Yeah, we're big supporters of our public university system. We have 16 universities, which vary widely in size and prestige, so there's something right for almost every student. In contrast, we have a few extraordinary private schools (with some extraordinary price tags and admissions requirements) and a whole lot of private schools that're substandard academically. Those schools tend to attract students who can't get into the state schools. We visited one middle-of-the-road private last summer (it had a two-story library -- can you imagine?), and my daughter declared that she wouldn't attend even if they gave her a full ride. I didn't dislike it quite as much as she did, but I would rather pay for my daughter to attend a public than see her go to that private for free. Realistically, with the things that appear to be falling in line for her, it's looking like we're going to be able to send her to her first-choice state school for about 4-6K/whole year, and I'm very satisfied with that.

When my son was born in 2003 we purchased a prepaid tuition (4 yr)contract that required annual payments of $2,000 for 10 years. When my youngest was born in 2005 the plan had been postponed by the state, but the second it opened, we again purchased another 4 yr contract with $3,600 annual payments for 10 yrs. It was a stretch for us to make almost $6,000 a year in payments AND put 6% in retirement, but we did it. Then my mom passed and I got an inheritance in 2010 so we paid the contracts in full at substantial savings, since the state charges interest for the payment plans.
We understand that tuition is only half of the total cost of school, we need to save for room/board and books, but we haven't as of yet. We upped our retirement savings to 10% and are paying off my oldest sons hospital bill. If worse comes to worst, we can pay the living expenses OOP and loans as our mortgage should be paid when our youngest is in his 2nd year of college. We sleep so much better at night knowing tuition is covered. For example, we paid around $20,000 for DS8 contract - worth 124 credit hours at University of Texas at Austin which costs $40,000 now. Imagine what it will cost in 9 years when he actually attends! No other investment, I believe will do better than that.

First of all, unless they get a stellar scholarship, I expect DD's to go to one of the wonderful in-state universities we have in CA. Not that they are cheap, but certainly more reasonable than the private schools.

Here in NJ, the state schools are already over 20K and we've got 3 more years to go so certainly over 25K by the time DD starts and probably 30K by the time she's done. That's over 100K for 4 years just for tuition, room and board. That doesn't count books, supplies, computer, living expenses, etc.

So anyone who thinks they don't need to save much because they're going to send their kid to a state school might be in for a shock.

We don't have an actual "college savings" BUT i have some ideas on how to pay!

we have 2 boys 2 years apart so they'll be in college 2 years together.

If all goes as planned, we will have our Mortgage paid off right b4 my oldest starts college -

Also have a couple of mutual funds i've been contributing to since we got married So i will probably use that $ to help pay for college!

I am hoping to pay 2 years for each of them - providing they go to a state school - they will have to take a loan - and hoping i can help them pay it off - guess we'll see how things go.

I am going to start a "designated" college fund as well - i do have a 529, but stopped contributing - think i now contribute $25 every quarter - so 100 a year :(

lisa

I think it depends on how you have your life set up.

I am a stay at home mom and just have a small part time job that I do from home. My husband doesn't make a huge amount so we did not save for college. My son is a junior in college and gets a lot in financial aid grants and has some loans. He is smart and his college really wanted him so he got several big scholarships. It was far cheaper to go to this expensive private college than a university which he hated the idea of and said he would not consider. The private college was willing to give more to him than the university. I am saving money in a separate account for his graduation gift and I am up to $6,000 so far. He can use this to pay off loans.

However, if you and your husband both work and have a high income then you should save for college right away because you will not be able to get much in grants and can't always count on scholarships. Every January you have to fill out the FAFSA that determines how much you can pay for college. It depends on your salary and bank accounts. The college looks at that and will help you get grants, scholarships, etc so you pay about what the FAFSA says you can afford.

Here in NJ, the state schools are already over 20K and we've got 3 more years to go so certainly over 25K by the time DD starts and probably 30K by the time she's done. That's over 100K for 4 years just for tuition, room and board. That doesn't count books, supplies, computer, living expenses, etc.

So anyone who thinks they don't need to save much because they're going to send their kid to a state school might be in for a shock.

Haven't seen you around in a while Steve!

I suspect with most states as broke as they are, a lot of people who are looking at college costs now for in state tuition for a kid ten years or more away are going to be in for a LOT of sticker shock. State tuition is low because states are subsidizing it - they may not be able to afford that. And for some time, college tuition rates have outpaced inflation - or investment returns.

Our "premium" university system is about $25k a year. You can still get the second tier college and universities for about $16k a year, room/board/tuition/books. If you live at home, a community college or our in city four year state college is around $5-$6k a year in tuition.

DH and I started giving DD4 a weekly allowance on her 1st birthday. Started out at $5 and is now up to $10. Just for being cute! LOL Anyway, we have the money auto-transferred from our checking to her joint savings with DH. Grandparents give money for birthday and Christmas each year in addition to gifts so that money goes into the account. We also cash in our credit card rewards dollars when we get to the yearly limit and add that to her account alond with any rebates we get (like with new cell phones/appliance purchases/etc). Once a year DH rolls the balance over into a 12 mo CD. While the savings is not significant it's not chump change either. We average at least $1000 a year without our budget being impacted. We are still contributing to retirement and I have become a SAHM. I'm not really sure what we are going to pay for or not when the time comes but we will be helping as much as we are comfortable with at the time. DH and I agree that our retirement must come first. My DD's college degree will not feed me in my old age but my retirement will. That being said we want her to have the best start in life we can provide for her and being buried with substancial student loan debt would make it near impossible to start out on her own with any type of financial security.

i know its hard to get Financial Aid if u have any money in the bank - We do have about 6 months in savings for an "Emergency" i know this will work against us for any loans etc. wondering if anyone takes that savings Out of the bank a few year prior to kids going to college so it does not work against u?

I have money deposited into both DD 529 college plan. My olfer one is in her 3rd year at state college, DD #2 will be applying to a state this year also.

i know its hard to get Financial Aid if u have any money in the bank - We do have about 6 months in savings for an "Emergency" i know this will work against us for any loans etc. wondering if anyone takes that savings Out of the bank a few year prior to kids going to college so it does not work against u?

The financial aid talk the high school gave us said to get as much out of your bank accounts as you could before filling out the fafsa. Pay off bills, pay off that year's property taxes, buy that car or whatever you know you will definitely need in a year. So right before we do the fafsa we get as much as we can out. These are bills we would have to pay later that year anyway. It just makes sense to pay them before the fafsa rather than after.

We have a 529 for our boys.

We started with $50/month when the first was born. I started working (from home) shortly after DS2 was born so we decided to do 1/2 of my income. It auto-debits, which is great for us. We don't miss the money because we set it up to auto-debit so soon after I started that we've never actually had it to use.

Haven't seen you around in a while Steve!

Hi crisi :wave2:

I've been over on the podcast board and pop in to theme parks and orlando attractions too.

I spend most of my time at savingadvice.com but each time we travel to Disney, as we did last month, I gravitate back to the Dis.

We have a 529 for our boys.

We started with $50/month when the first was born. I started working (from home) shortly after DS2 was born so we decided to do 1/2 of my income. It auto-debits, which is great for us. We don't miss the money because we set it up to auto-debit so soon after I started that we've never actually had it to use.

We never missed ours because we started our college funds about the same time we stopped paying for daycare. So we just "moved" that money.

Something else to think about is possibly needing more than 4 years to finish an undergrad degree. In my state, like most others, the state schools are completely full. We know quite a few good students who are struggling to get into classes and it can end up dragging out your time in school. (For classes that have to be taken in a specific order) If your child changes majors it most often can lead to extra classes.

I dont see a lot of states being able to add to the faculty so it's quite common now in my area to need at least one more semester which can add to the final total.

Every January you have to fill out the FAFSA that determines how much you can pay for college. It depends on your salary and bank accounts. The college looks at that and will help you get grants, scholarships, etc so you pay about what the FAFSA says you can afford.

Unfortunately, this is true at fewer and fewer schools, including publics. There is often a "gap"; not many schools meet full need anymore. My daughter applied to colleges last fall. If I remember correctly, she/I would have paid a few thousand more than my FAFSA EFC at our state school, and this was with a full tuition scholarship. Room and board and especially fees are a lot at this school. There was one private school that left a gap that was almost twice of what my efc was. (but, to be fair, this was also a Profile school-different rules.)

I just don't want people to think that the efc is the only amount they will have to come up with. Bear in mind, too, that what you think you can afford and what the government thinks you can afford are often vastly different, as the figure is based on current income, future income, and also, I have heard, on what you should have saved by the time your child attends college. In addition, loans ARE aid, so you may have to come up with, say, a $50000 efc, a $5000 "gap" , and take out loans besides. I've heard people complain that if they save enough to pay for college, they will be "penalized" for it by having to pay for the entire thing. I disagree, and wish I had been able to save a lot more for my daughter's education. To have enough to cover everything without scrambling to fill a gap and pay back loans as one gets closer to retirement would be a very good thing. I would have loved to have been able to tell my daughter "honey, you can go wherever you can get into". In the end, she found a great school at a great price, but a lot of that had to do with her own hard work.

In addition, if your child wants to attend a school that uses the Profile form, you may be expected to pay a lot more. Profile schools all use different formulas, but especially if you own your own business, you will probably be shocked by the cost to attend college. I don't think Profile schools generally protect a portion of the assets you have in your home, whereas there is some protection provided by the Fafsa.

One more little nugget for Fafsa----money that is already in your retirement accounts is protected, but money you have added/saved for the year you are filing the fafsa is added back into your income for the year.

I learned a LOT this past year.

I don't know how y'all can afford to live in New Jersey. No wonder our schools are full of your students; even with out-of-state prices, our prices are so much better.

Here's what my daughter's #1 school choice, a mid-sized well-respected state school, costs:

Tuition & fees, includes textbook rental -- $5742 per year
Dorm room -- $3800 per year -- this is an average; basic dorms are lower, while on-campus apartments are higher
Meal plan -- $2140 per year -- this is the "standard meal plan"; lesser and greater meal plans can be chosen

Her second-choice school, also a mid-sized well-respected state school, though on the other side of the state, is a little more expensive:

Tuition & fees, does NOT include textbooks -- $5672
They group dorm & meal plan together -- $7900

Not saving something for your kids' college education means they'll almost certainly have loans, and that just makes their lives more difficult as they start out on their own. I'd rather live in a smaller house and drive an older car (or make similar choices) than to tell my kids, "Good luck, you're on your own for college!"

This may seem different to you when you actually have children of your own. Saying hypothetically, "Work hard! You can do it yourself!" is one thing. Once you know your child, understand his strengths and weaknesses, want to help him succeed -- it's harder to take a hard "Pull up those boot straps" approach when you're thinking of your own, real, flesh-and-blood child whom you've loved for years.

I can't imagine just telling my child to take out a loan if they want to go to college and not helping them if you can.
I started a 529 when my daughter was born- I only put 50.00 a week in but my brother who is not married started one for her also and he puts in closer to 100 a week so she has a good amount in there. She also has a 2 year scholarship to a community college if she wants it when she is old enough. She is a junior in the local fire department and if she stays with that until college age she gets a 2 year free ride if thats what she chooses to do. She is well aware though that if she does not go to college that money goes right back to me and my brother-its not hers to just go out and party with. Knowing my brother he will give it to her anyway but I would hope he would hold on to it until she is much more mature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter