How do you feel about wearing a mask at Disney parks?

How do you feel about wearing a mask while at a Disney Park?

• If wearing a mask means the parks can open sooner, I'll wear one. I just want to be able to go!

• Wearing masks would detract from the Disney experience I love so much! I won't go if I have to mask

Results are only viewable after voting.
I apologize if this has been asked before in this thread, but what could Disney's plan be for restaurants?

Are we going to be forced to sneak the fork-full of food underneath our mask? Or will we be allowed to remove it for 5 seconds to take a bite, then put it back on to chew?
The airlines allow masks to be removed for eating or drinking, and I imagine Disney would have a similar policy. Which will probably lead to an increase in people holding a drink while walking around the parks.

I have said this before but in this friendly debate I will say my thoughts again:
I, like others spend thousands upon thousands on our yearly trips. Even though we love Disney, we will not give them our thousands if we have to wear a mask. For the money we spend, there are many places we can go that will not require us wearing masks and we will have a great time there also. We will just wait until they lift that requirement.
As for the masks themselves, I live in a neighborhood with quite a few doctors of all types, there is even a doctor and a ICU nurse in my family. None of the doctors in my neighborhood or in my family wear a mask when not working for anything other than going in the store(since its required here for now). They all point out that masks, even in the hospital, must be changed out every few hours even if untouched. The minute you touch them, they are contaminated and they think the masks do more harm than good for all sorts of different reasons such as bigger CO2 levels, to putting a heavier load on your lungs. There are more reasons but i wont go into them. Some of them also go to Disney with their families but will not if a mask is required. They all agree that a mask is not needed for anyone to wear except the known sick and those caring for the elderly. And we all prefer fresh air!

I find this article released by medical news today interesting in that it adds fuel to those in opposition of the great mask debate.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...the-effectiveness-of-masks-against-sars-cov-2
I have read over the report of that study now 3x. Maybe I'm extra dense today (menopause) but I cannot find the results of the petrie dishes that the participants coughed into. THAT would reveal if the virus from the cough actually became airborne (landed in the dish) right? The swab of the outer surface of the mask proves that it went as far as......well..... the outer surface of the mask. In the results of that study, they do mention this, "Although it is possible that virus particles may cross from the inner to the outer surface because of the physical pressure of swabbing, we swabbed the outer surface before the inner surface." Virus resting on the outer surface of the wear's mask, in and of itself, doesn't pose a threat to other persons passing by and inhaling the same air, as the particles are not aerosol.

I posted earlier about my views on mask wearing. There are multiple single studies (RCT = randomized controlled trial), meta-analysis studies and other papers dating back at least 10 years citing the ineffectiveness of masks at reducing transmission. Obviously the older ones focused on influenza, which is about the same sub-micron size as COVID-19. Mask usage can be equated to a safety blanket and the illusion of safety. It makes someone feel better to use it and believe that it must be doing something, but in reality it serves little to no purpose and in some cases can cause harm. The memes being posted all over the internet showing someone urinating on another person's leg and if both people are wearing pants, then the urine stays contained in the urinator's pants and doesn't contact the other person. This is a completely false characterization of how respiratory droplets are transmitted, but it's made its way around the internet like a wildfire and convinced people that they must wear a mask.

We won’t go to Disney if we have to wear a mask. It’s a very expensive and special vacation that we treasure doing, and I don’t want to deal with the hassle of “masking up” on a vacation. We rescheduled this year’s May trip to next May, and I’m praying that masks won’t be a thing by then.

The masks can get wet; the masks need taken off when you eat or drink; the masks need washed; the masks are not comfortable and hurt my ears; the masks don’t make me feel like life is normal.

I’m a college instructor, and my chancellor informed us that we will be “masking up” when we return this fall— faculty, staff, and students. I can’t even imagine how this will work. I live in Arkansas and our COVID numbers look great; when I go to Target or Walmart, there are plenty of folks not wearing masks. I don’t judge them, and I don’t worry one way or the other. We’ve pretty much not left our house for the past eight weeks, but we can’t live like this forever. At the end of the day, we have to do what we feel comfortable doing. If you aren’t walking up to random strangers and coughing or sneezing on them, it’s probably safe to say you won’t pass Cornavirus to them by just walking by them without a mask on. Just my thoughts. I miss Disney being open though, and I do hope if they implement a mask requirement that it’s temporary or sadly we won’t be going back. Stay safe, stay home when you can, wash your hands, and be respectful are the best things we can all do 😊

I have read over the report of that study now 3x. Maybe I'm extra dense today (menopause) but I cannot find the results of the petrie dishes that the participants coughed into. THAT would reveal if the virus from the cough actually became airborne (landed in the dish) right? The swab of the outer surface of the mask proves that it went as far as......well..... the outer surface of the mask. In the results of that study, they do mention this, "Although it is possible that virus particles may cross from the inner to the outer surface because of the physical pressure of swabbing, we swabbed the outer surface before the inner surface." Virus resting on the outer surface of the wear's mask, in and of itself, doesn't pose a threat to other persons passing by and inhaling the same air, as the particles are not aerosol.

@crazymomof4 - No worries, I 1st missed the Journal article that provides the data your wanting referencing viral load.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-1342

@crazymomof4 and others, just be sure to read through all of the comments concerning the paper that was submitted. The authors of the paper, in response to several comments about their unscientific study, said this:

So, wearing any kind of masks in public settings with hand hygiene is highly recommended. Further well-designed repeated studied by independent researchers are urgently needed on this area.

@crazymomof4 and others, just be sure to read through all of the comments concerning the paper that was submitted. The authors of the paper, in response to several comments about their unscientific study, said this:

So, wearing any kind of masks in public settings with hand hygiene is highly recommended. Further well-designed repeated studied by independent researchers are urgently needed on this area.

i agree definitely more research is needed which is also why I’am surprised they have put so much emphasis on them and mandated wearing in so many areas without 1.) not knowing whether or not they work and 2.) the high probability of cross contamination and 3.) improper fitting.

Food for thought. Nurses on the frontline caring for Covid patients were interviewed and one of the questions was "Are they scared to go to work everyday"? A nurse answers that she is more scared to go grocery shopping then to go to work, because when she went, she saw how many people were not taking any type of precautions.
My opinion is that I know that masks are not totally effective, BUT even if they just give me a small % advantage, that's more than I have without it.

Why would Disney require masks if they are not state-mandated? Well, probably to minimize lawsuits as well as to maintain the public perception (which has been frequently cited here) that Disney is a safe place. If we (2 adults) had planned a trip this summer or fall I would be looking to cancel. I wear a mask while at the grocery store, in a region of the country where less than half the people are doing so, but I would not enjoy a trip to the parks with a mask. Part of the pleasure of the trip is strolling with a drink or an ice cream; that doesn't work with a mask. A Disney trip is more than just the parks, too; will all the pools and water parks be closed because you can't physically distance or wear a mask in the water? Evening entertainment options? No, I'll pass.
I’m curious about the hotel pools and waterparks too. Masks are ineffective if they get wet. Locally in Oklahoma, we were some of the last to close and first to open back up, but the city pools are not planning on opening this season. Pools aren’t a huge part of our Disney experience, but I know it is for some.

I posted earlier about my views on mask wearing. There are multiple single studies (RCT = randomized controlled trial), meta-analysis studies and other papers dating back at least 10 years citing the ineffectiveness of masks at reducing transmission. Obviously the older ones focused on influenza, which is about the same sub-micron size as COVID-19. Mask usage can be equated to a safety blanket and the illusion of safety. It makes someone feel better to use it and believe that it must be doing something, but in reality it serves little to no purpose and in some cases can cause harm. The memes being posted all over the internet showing someone urinating on another person's leg and if both people are wearing pants, then the urine stays contained in the urinator's pants and doesn't contact the other person. This is a completely false characterization of how respiratory droplets are transmitted, but it's made its way around the internet like a wildfire and convinced people that they must wear a mask.

And like I asked on another thread, when we get pictures taken by Photo Pass photographers (if we can), will they allow us to pull masks down while pic is taken then pull them back up? I personally do not want to pay for a bunch of pictures where I can't even tell if we're smiling.
I cancelled Memory Maker for our trip. Since you can get it 3 days before the trip, if they do decide no masks, I’ll add it back on at that time. I mentioned it to the cast member when I was moving our reservation, and she said she hadn’t even thought about how a mask policy would affect memory maker.

4) wearing masks on rides. Picture Space Mountain. Or any roller coaster for that matter. The person behind me is getting my air. You have masks flying off on roller coasters, or if you’re a screamer you’ll be suffocating with that mask on.

Can you imagine a mask on Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids and what would happen to them. Between the humidity and the water rides, a person would need to bring a dozen masks per day to keep them fresh.

We go July 26- Aug 3 and I am guessing WDW will realize how dumb this is before our trip.

No way in the world would I go to Disney up until at least October when there is a possibility of wearing masks ( although even without I probably wouldn’t with no way to keep things clean ) I couldn’t imagine having to be that hot in Florida and having a mask on .. nope .. not even if it’s free .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter