How do you "count down" for anyting?

maslex

DIS Veteran
Let's hear how you "count down" whether it be for your vacation, retirement, last payment on your car, etc.

Right now, as bus drivers, we are counting down to the last day of school. I'm not sure who is more excited, us or the students. LOL

Well, I decided to break out the calendar and count down how many more days of school we had left. I wrote it up on our big white board and stated "18 more school days left" My goodness, you would have thought world war 3 started. I guess I didn't realize how many ways there were to count down to things. In my mind, I don't count the day we're actually on, because we're already at work and starting the day. So I counted tomorrow, the 4 days of next week, 2 full weeks after that, and then 3 more days (we get out on the 21st of June) That give you 18. So not only did I have so many people telling me I was wrong because they counted today as being a day since it was over yet, so really we have 19 days. Then I have this woman who argues til she's blue in the face stating that we have 28 days left (she counts weekends) I tired to explaining to her that I'm only counting actual SCHOOL DAYS, not weekends. She claims she still counts weekends because she still has to get up and get dressed?????? What in the hell LOL

I guess I must be living under a rock and never really realized that so many people have their own way of doing a count down. How do you do it? :)

When I'm counting something down, I do usually count the day I'm on, because I tend to (flip the counter over / tear off the ring / whatever) as part of my getting-ready-for-bed routine.

But I see your point too. You are counting how many more times that alarm is going to ring!

Maybe your colleague is counting weekends because her kids are in activities that end with the school year, and she counts running them around?

(I personally wouldn't count weekends in this one, though.)

I have a friend with little kids who counts "sleeps" until an upcoming event. They do their record-keeping in the morning.

Last edited:
I'd count starting tomorrow, not include weekends and only days we were going to work. Just like you. Everyone else is simply wrong :smooth:

I'm with you. Once the day has officially started I no longer count it. The countdown starts on the next FULL day left. Only the official days of the activity are counted - so if I was counting school days, weekends would not be counted.

I count sleeps so I'd include the day you are on.

My smart alec answer is fingers..toes when necessary.

Next Friday is our 44th wedding anniversary. As soon as yesterday's midnight was struck, 12:00:01AM today-Saturday, there were 6 days to our anniversary. I do not count the day that is, so start counting at the next day that will be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter