How do guides get assigned and can you change?

deedeetoo

DIS Veteran
I am trying to understand how this whole guide system works.

I called DVC's 800 number to get materials and was transferred to a person who I spoke to for about 10 minutes and who sent me the info I requested. The materials came yesterday and I discovered that she is a senior guide. So does this mean I am supposed to talk to her all the time now? What if I hear about a different guide here that I would rather talk to? What if I end up buying resale - Will she still be my guide or will someone else be assigned?

As an aside. I spoke to her and gave her my name, and everything (package, letter saying "Thank you for your interest..") came addressed to my HUSBAND. :furious: This is not a way to make a good first impression.

We bought resale but our "guide" is the woman we did the tour with last year. I've never had any reason to speak to her since though.

you can change.
we didn't "click" with our guide when we toured in Jan. infact he kind of ticked us off. we had lots of questions...especially with the # per room since we will have a 1 2 & 3 year old and studios and 1 BR say max 4. after repeatedly trying to get the correct answer from him, he said "well DVC isn't for everybody". reeeeaaaaallllllyyyy? we know that already, but we're thinking of paying thousands of dollars to join and that was NOT the attitude answer we were looking for.
anyway, we switched guides, no problem.

We were still assigned to the guide we toured with 8 years ago. Like thecajunmouse, we did not "click" and may have been why we did not purchase then. (darn- what were we thinking?!!) We had to push a little to change guides, but not a huge deal.

deedeetoo - if you buy, just make sure you get yourself listed as the member and your DH as the associate. Isn't it nice to be in charge? :rotfl:

When we went in August 05, we were told the presentation would take about 60-90 minutes. So, after 3 hours, we barely got to the pricing and never seen the units. We had a Boma reservation in another hour so we just had to go. He just kept hounding us and saying "I can't understand why you are not investing in your future vacations!" "What is it you don't get?" and then after we stated that we absolutely hade to leave because it was only another 1/2 hour before our reservation, he basically pushed us out the door and we had to ask for the material and pricing. Also at that time they were giving fastpass cards away and we had to inquire about that.

So when we were walking by the presentation centre in May 06, my fiance insisted we go see the units. I said not with that guide, so we went and stepped up to the podium and asked if we could get the last half of the presentation only (not the stuff at the beginning) and updated pricing. Well the new guide is AWESOME!!! Only thing is from Nova Scotia you can't buy DVC without going through resale. We bought through resale recently but when we go down next October, our add-on will be purchased through this guide for his great presentation and 'bedside manners'.

Regs,

CJM

I can't say that I had a problem with her when I was speaking with her. That conversation seemed to go fine. She did try to push SSR even after I told her I wasn't interested but I expected that.

My real problem is when the stuff arrived addressed to my DH. All we can figure is that he asked for information once many years ago and they still have our phone number or address associated with him in their system. I know I never mentioned his name when I was on the phone. You would think that a female guide would be more sensitive to this.

DH has left the decision to buy DVC up to me. He says I get to decide where to buy, how much etc, and he will go along. :) I am having fun figuring this all out, but right now I'm not completely happy with the guide I spoke to.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I am the one who requested the DVC info and when we did our contracts, my name is first on everything, yet when DVC mails stuff to our house in comes in my wifes name. She gets a kick out of it :teeth: I figure we both have member cards and I got her to buy into DVC ;)

:banana:

deedeetoo said:
I can't say that I had a problem with her when I was speaking with her. That conversation seemed to go fine. She did try to push SSR even after I told her I wasn't interested but I expected that.

My real problem is when the stuff arrived addressed to my DH. All we can figure is that he asked for information once many years ago and they still have our phone number or address associated with him in their system. I know I never mentioned his name when I was on the phone. You would think that a female guide would be more sensitive to this.

DH has left the decision to buy DVC up to me. He says I get to decide where to buy, how much etc, and he will go along. :) I am having fun figuring this all out, but right now I'm not completely happy with the guide I spoke to.

The same thing happened to me with my husbands name on everything. It drove me nuts. I called my guide and told her how I felt. I got it changed and everything comes in my name now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter