How crazy is it really at the end of December?

Just one example of how crazy It gets...You know the bridge in Magic Kingdom on the right going to Tomorrowland.It has to be at least 15 feet wide, at night it is a wall of people smoothed together like on the subway in rush hour.You literally baby step your way through most of park.We used to always go during holiday, than it just got to be too much, so we now go early December and get all same perks, just minus horrendous crowds.
This was the stand-by line for the safari on 12/20/2008. It went all the way through and out the queue, down through Africa, past the Dawa Bar and OVER THE BRIDGE!

SafariLine122008.jpg

I went in 2010 the week before Christmas. The closer it got to Christmas, the more crowded it became. In general, though, tolerable crowds. The last day we toured was the 23rd.

This year we are going from January 1st through the 10th, but only touring starting on the 3rd. I'm hoping for moderate crowds like the crowd calendars suggest!

I found out that I'm getting a bonus some time in the next few weeks. :cool1: All our bills are paid and we don't have any debt, so I'm thinking about blowing it on a surprise trip to WDW! The only problem is, the only time we'll both be able to go will be from December 26th until January 3rd. We've never been during this time but I understand it's seriously crowded. I'm not going to book until I find out for sure how much I'm getting, which will likely happen sometime around the first week of December. Do you think it will be possible to book onsite still? Are the parks packed from start to finish during this time frame? We've dealt with heavy crowds before and we've been to WDW quite a few times now, so I know we can handle it, but I'm just curious as to whether we're talking "turnaways at the gate" sort of crowds. :confused3 I would really like to stay onsite but we've got several options in mind for offsite too if we must. (unless of course they're all booked up too! :scared:)

Hey this sounds exactly like us this year! We budget our Disney trips every year but this year with the extra money we said lets go somewhere and DD22 said lets do DW on NYE. If DD22 and bf wants to spend NYE with us at Disney we are there! So come on down and join our crazy family:dance3:. I think no matter how crowded it will be an experience we will never forget! :santa:

Do you enjoy waiting in line 45 minutes - one hour to USE THE BATHROOM? Yes, that's how crazy it is. Would never do it again. Must say we've been there the week BEFORE Christmas and was amazed at how much calmer it was. The week between Christmas and New Years was dreadful.

Do you enjoy waiting in line 45 minutes - one hour to USE THE BATHROOM? Yes, that's how crazy it is. Would never do it again. Must say we've been there the week BEFORE Christmas and was amazed at how much calmer it was. The week between Christmas and New Years was dreadful.

LOL..I guess it is just how you look at it. I don't know how anyone can have a dreadful time in WDW...I really don't care how crowded it is..we are going to make the best of it :)

Won't bother me any, I can go the whole day without a bathroom break if I have to. DW on the other hand... :rotfl: (she has to beg me to stop somewhere while we're driving to Florida, I'm one of those people that, if I could find a gas tanker truck somewhere that could fuel me up on the go, I'd never stop!)

Shir Kahn said:
Fantastic! Hope you don't mind my elbows! :rotfl:

Nope, as long as you don't mind mine! Though we plan to tour early! I hope to be headed out or just absorbing the sites after the crowds and lines build.

It is insane lol. We used to go every year from around December 20th to January 2. The last time we went was 2007 and we actually left MK at 7:30 because the crowds got to us on 12/26. (we had seen Wishes 12/24 while eating dinner at Narcoosees).

That being said, the holiday's are even more magical with the decorations and at Epcot, with the celebrations in each country. Osborne Lights are worth the trip alone though. It will be wall to wall people as said, so I would try to get major attractions done by noon in each park. Just go in with the attitude that it will be crazy, you won't see everything you want to see, people can be cranky and rude at times due to the crowd, and you will be fine. Someday, as my memory fades of how crazy it actually can be, I may go back again at that time, because, after all, it is Disney,

It's that crowded.

I did it once that same week, and would never do it again. But, I understand that some folks like having lots of people and excitement around, although its not my personal style. These days there are only a few weeks a year I go (crowd level 1&2 only), but I really believe with good planning you could outwit the crowds during a high attendance time of year.

First off.. someone is going to say "I've never been turned away!"

This is a sign from Epcot from last year:

closed.jpg

They mean it. Closed is closed.

Can't goto Magic Kingdom, so wait in line for... Energy..? That's never busy right?

lineenergy.jpg

Ok, ok, Nemo is always a walk-on with its huge capacity, right?

lineseas.jpg

It's the middle of the afternoon, the park is crowded and you've ridden nothing.. Spaceship Earth dies down in the afternoon right?

crowdsse1.jpg

Fine, we'll just go to World Showcase!

crowdgermany.jpg

Ugh!!! Well I'll just stake out a spot for the fireworks!

westgrass.jpg

Darn it, the close spots are already full and it's still broad daylight.. how about the further away viewing areas? You know, the logical place to view the World Showcase Lagoon Fireworks from all the way back by Mousegear in the middle of Future World!

eastgrass.jpg

Well, ok, you can kind of see it from back there...

fireworkswest.jpg

Well, at least you got to walk around scenic backstage Epcot between Norway (2 hour wait at Maelstrom) and Test Track (3-5 hour wait) because the line for Gran Fiesta was so long it came out of the building at Mexico and blocked the main walkway outside the pyramid.

backstagenorway.jpg

I'm gonna tell you about something so horrific and bone chilling that I have trouble talking about it..

The line for O Canada.. you know, that film with Martin Short that is hidden at the back of the Canada pavilion and hardly anyone goes to see..

It.. has a line!

And not just a line, but a line that goes all of the way up the stairs and into faux-plaza on the second level of the pavilion! I wouldn't beleive it if I hadn't seen it myself - people have to wait all the way up there for O Canada!

Oh the inhumanity!!!

... back in 2007 (I think). We had a blast, but won't do it anytime again soon (unless we do it acknowledging NO PARKS.)

Imagine this, there was a point in time (walking down mainstreet out of MK at closing time) that I was moving.... but my feet weren't walking. As in...the shoulder to shoulder crowd was single handedly moving me. It was like nothing I've ever seen. Genuinely unsafe at times (IMO.)

:crowded::crowded::crowded:

closed.jpg

Can't goto Magic Kingdom, so wait in line for... Energy..? That's never busy right?

lineenergy.jpg

Ok, ok, Nemo is always a walk-on with its huge capacity, right?

lineseas.jpg

It's the middle of the afternoon, the park is crowded and you've ridden nothing.. Spaceship Earth dies down in the afternoon right?

crowdsse1.jpg

Fine, we'll just go to World Showcase!

crowdgermany.jpg

Ugh!!! Well I'll just stake out a spot for the fireworks!

westgrass.jpg

Darn it, the close spots are already full and it's still broad daylight.. how about the further away viewing areas? You know, the logical place to view the World Showcase Lagoon Fireworks from all the way back by Mousegear in the middle of Future World!

eastgrass.jpg

Well, ok, you can kind of see it from back there...

fireworkswest.jpg

Well, at least you got to walk around scenic backstage Epcot between Norway (2 hour wait at Maelstrom) and Test Track (3-5 hour wait) because the line for Gran Fiesta was so long it came out of the building at Mexico and blocked the main walkway outside the pyramid.

backstagenorway.jpg

Thanks for the pics!! I'm taking my family there this year for Christmas..it is the only time we can go..so it is either go or never go to WDW...hmmmmm

I am guessing those pictures are from NYE?! We have been MANY times the week between Christmas and New Year's, and yes, it is VERY crowded! But with a good plan and realistic expectations, it is very manageable! In fact, last year during the same week we had the best trip ever and I truly believe it was because we went with the idea that it is ok if we don't do everything and refused to get upset even if we missed some of our favorites---and you know what? That attitude made all the difference and it was such a magical trip!!!! As for NYE, we did it once at Epcot and said never again---so we always schedule that as a day off from the parks and just relax and enjoy the day. We make nice dinner reservations at a resort---last year was 1900 Park Fare for our daughters who love Cinderella (and we even got to see a NYE bride and groom taking pictures at the Grand Floridian---very magical!). This year we are eating at O'Hana on NYE and can't wait! We are ready for the crowds and looking forward to another magical Christmas at Disney! :)

I am guessing those pictures are from NYE?! We have been MANY times the week between Christmas and New Year's, and yes, it is VERY crowded! But with a good plan and realistic expectations, it is very manageable! In fact, last year during the same week we had the best trip ever and I truly believe it was because we went with the idea that it is ok if we don't do everything and refused to get upset even if we missed some of our favorites---and you know what? That attitude made all the difference and it was such a magical trip!!!! As for NYE, we did it once at Epcot and said never again---so we always schedule that as a day off from the parks and just relax and enjoy the day. We make nice dinner reservations at a resort---last year was 1900 Park Fare for our daughters who love Cinderella (and we even got to see a NYE bride and groom taking pictures at the Grand Floridian---very magical!). This year we are eating at O'Hana on NYE and can't wait! We are ready for the crowds and looking forward to another magical Christmas at Disney! :)

Soo nice to hear something positive about going at this time of the year :)

closed.jpg

I never said the MK didn't close. It does reach capacity and closes every NYE (and every other day that week). It usually reopens after people leave after the parade.

I'm just sharing my experiences of being in WDW/DL for 12 out of the last 13 NYEs. We always go back to our resort around 2-3 for a rest and a swim (!) because my family cannot commando from rope drop to after midnight. I have seen the NYE fireworks at the DHS once, the MK twice, DL twice and Epcot 7 times. We always return to our park of choice between 5-7 and we have never been refused entry. Oh, and I have never had a crappy view like yours at Epcot and we don't start to look for a place until about 10:30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter