How crazy is it really at the end of December?

checked back tonight to see that this thread had become more of a debate. To me the analogy is people who say "never again" to going in mid-summer because of various reasons including the heat, the crowds, Brazilian tour groups, or any number of other reasons. Plenty of other people go that time of year and love it. Your enjoyment of your trip will in large part be based on your ATTITUDE. If you go in thinking about how you are getting ripped off because hotels and food are more expensive and you cannot ride everything you want when you want to because of huge crowds then you will end up a "never again" person relating to a Christmas/NY trip. But I can personally attest that if you go with the attitude that you are excited to celebrate the holidays there with the people you love, and you get up early and enjoy the experience every morning, make careful use of FP, and just allow a little bit of extra time to see things, you will be completely fine. We had one of our best days ever at the MK last year on 12/30, a day that the park was closed to capacity by 11:00 a.m. We were there at opening and did a ton in the first couple of hours. The rest of the day was shows, parade, eating and just enjoying the time.

JLS said:
checked back tonight to see that this thread had become more of a debate. To me the analogy is people who say "never again" to going in mid-summer because of various reasons including the heat, the crowds, Brazilian tour groups, or any number of other reasons. Plenty of other people go that time oft year and love it. Your enjoyment of your trip will in large part be based on your ATTITUDE. If you go in thinking about how you are getting ripped off because hotels and food are more expensive and you cannot ride everything you want when you want to because of huge crowds then you will end up a "never again" person relating to a Christmas/NY trip. But I can personally attest that if you go with the attitude that you are excited to celebrate the holidays there with the people you love, and you get up early and enjoy the experience every morning, make careful use of FP, and just allow a little bit of extra time to see things, you will be completely fine. We had one of our best days ever at the MK last year on 12/30, a day that the park was closed to capacity by 11:00 a.m. We were there at opening and did a ton in the first couple of hours. The rest of the day was shows, parade, eating and just enjoying the time.

I love this!! So many people are so negative about this time of year, so much so that it has me very nervous.... we are going for our first time the week between Christmas and New years. However, although I understand the madness we are getting into, I still rather be at a super busy Disney than at home. ;). Like you say, it is all about attitude and we are prepared for rude people, long lines etc. But it also is a once in a lifetime magical trip for our family. Unlike many of the people on here, we can not go 2 times a year or once a year or even once every 5 years so I want this to be about the experience and beauty of doing something awesome with my family. We have been planning this trip for a year now and it is a surprise for our 4 children. Thanks for the positive and encouraging post.... lol you would think if it was as bad as so many people say and all the "never again" folks that the parks would be empty. Lol.

Wendimn said:
LOL..I guess it is just how you look at it. I don't know how anyone can have a dreadful time in WDW...I really don't care how crowded it is..we are going to make the best of it :)

You rock! My family of 7 (me, hubby, 4 kids and my mom) will be right there with you having a blast in the middle of the madness!!

kandb said:
lvcourtneyy-IF you read my statement, I did not declare that it would be a miserable experience for everyone. I said the experience seems like it would miserable TO ME. I know some people don't feel this way, or else there wouldn't be hundred of thousand of people there. I also understand that some people can't go any other week. I just don't understand how "informed" people could go this week when the prices are raised, everything is mobbed and it would hard to see the rides/shows since the waits are astronomical. The part I don't get is, how do people spend thousands of dollars for this type of experience?

For me, it is my "dream" to give my children Disney World for Christmas! So, that is what I did...its not about the money or the schedule... I could go during a different time of the year no problem and yes it would cost less and have fewer people but just as others have said it is about the experience! I want to wake up Christmas morning and surprise my beautiful children with a Disney trip and not make them wait...I want to leave the next day, as I know they will too. Lol. For me I feel life is too short, I almost died from a rare disease this past summer and I was reminded just how short life really is. So yes, Disney at Christmas may not be for everyone, but I am "informed" and can't wait!!!

I love this!! So many people are so negative about this time of year, so much so that it has me very nervous.... we are going for our first time the week between Christmas and New years. However, although I understand the madness we are getting into, I still rather be at a super busy Disney than at home. ;). Like you say, it is all about attitude and we are prepared for rude people, long lines etc. But it also is a once in a lifetime magical trip for our family. Unlike many of the people on here, we can not go 2 times a year or once a year or even once every 5 years so I want this to be about the experience and beauty of doing something awesome with my family. We have been planning this trip for a year now and it is a surprise for our 4 children. Thanks for the positive and encouraging post.... lol you would think if it was as bad as so many people say and all the "never again" folks that the parks would be empty. Lol.

Honestly, you won't/can't understand it until you experience it. :)

You rock! My family of 7 (me, hubby, 4 kids and my mom) will be right there with you having a blast in the middle of the madness!!

Not sure I rock..lmao..but just tired of hearing the negativity. This is the only time we can take our family to WDW..so we have to make the best of it. BUT..I have talked to several Disney vets and they have ALL told me it is doable. I hope you have a wonderful trip!!!! :love:

Assuming you have experienced it and had a bad time..sorry. But..I am going and a bad time is not even an option..lol. :cool1:

I liken it to having/taking care of a baby. People can tell you what it's like but you really have no idea until you experience it yourself.

I'll be interested to hear an honest account of your vacation after you return.

I liken it to having/taking care of a baby. People can tell you what it's like but you really have no idea until you experience it yourself.

Like I said above..this is the only time we have to take a WDW vacation..insanely crowded or not..we are going. So..we have to make the best of it. I have every intention of getting there at rope drop..doing what we want to do..and then who cares..lol. When we first decided to go at Christmas..I made a post here about it. HUGE mistake..I was told it was "hell on earth"..that people would never do it again..even if it was free. I almost cancelled our trip.

Lil' Grumpy said:
from one family that has done this very thing....my advice is
to ....go for it! :yay:

why? there is magic in those crowds that can't be duplicated!

second~ don't forget...you can create magic if you believe ?!

we spent 2 weeks over christmas @ "the bay lake tower"
in 2010, boy ole girl.....we did it all! :santa:

in all of our previous trips, & as this was our very first disney's
christmas ~ we had magical moments in each & every park
that were "out of the blue"! never in all our previous trips
have we had such a streak. pixiedust: , to be completely
honest....we were even pixie dusted @ downtown disney. even
in the long lines, we made new disney friends from across
the country. :tinker:

* one frequently over looked source in the making of magic,
are the fellow guests you will be sharing your christmas trip
with.

i believe from having many, many disney magical moments,
there are things one can do to be noticed....is to present a
positive attitude & take time "outs" and use all your
senses to soak up all the atmospheres so you can let the disney
details "hit" you. not only make it worth the prices, but
will simply makes one "feel" the most magical place to be
on christmas morning~ i still feel " warm & fuzzy" allo'ver! :earboy2:

what a response without a few rules to make your dreams come
true?!~ :wizard: ,

...play nice. wear your family colors that best express your disney
feelings but because it is so crowded....make comfort a priority
so you can endure the grind. and be flexible even to a fault...,

( we went shopping @ the outlet mall ..where my wife found these
tees with a mouse trying on mickey's outfit. i thought they were
"goofy" but i was out voted. they were a big hit especially with the
cast members....so what did i do? i took the credit! :rolleyes1

ok? disney is well aware of the large crowds. and they want to meet
everyone expectations for creating special memories. what we
discovered, they do extra, unplanned ...events. from meets &
greets, to free gifts , & traditional christmas cheers. pay attention
and be ready for tink as she will be all over the place.:tink:

really!!!

if i told all the things we were "gifted", would take too many pages.

christmas is the most wonderful time of the year,& disney's
wdw is the happiest place on earth....& put together is the
stuff dreams are made from, :goodvibes ! ones that you will
want to remember.

the only 2 don't....using force like demanding & arguing take away
time that could lead to un- discovery's moments & don't stress
when things go in a direction that original was not desire. secondly,
rushing the day where things are missed or overlooked. be kind,
including toward yourself---there are many ways to take breaks from
the action.

no matter what, i hope you & your family enjoy the season &
the disney's :mickeyjum !

You rock as well! Great attitude to teach your kids and share with the world.

The thing is, every time of the year has it's advantages and advantages. Summer is Hot and moderately crowded but you don't need to remove Children from school.
September is still hot, not crowded but the height of hurricane season and hours are shorter.
Oct./Early Nov Food and wine festival but stories of drunks in EPCOT and you need to take kids out of school.
Early December, Christmas Decorations, Light to moderate Crowds (although not as light as they used to be), but you hear horror stories about Pop Warner.

Christmas - New Years, Busiest days of the year, but normally cool temps and special shows and entertainment only available at that time.

Throw in foreign tour group seasons, Gay Days, Flower and Garden Festival and the like and you get my picture. Almost every time of the year has something that makes one group say perfect vacation and another group say never again.

For me, I'm not sure I could do both heat and crowds so Summer is out. I teach college so my breaks fall a little bit different from K-12. When we were on Quarters I did either September or Mid December. Not that we've switched to Semesters I've switched this most recent trip to New Years and just after. I've never been there during full on 10 crowds but I've been there on 8-9 level crowds, but only for part of my trip.

Have our "surprise" reservations all made for Dec 27-Jan 6. Not sure if we are going to go in all the craziness or not. Heart says yes :thumbsup2 but head says no :sad2: DD needs her wheelchair at Disney and sometimes need to use the attachment that elevates her leg. We have been several times before so it is not all about the rides. Really want to be there at Christmas time, just not sure we can safely manage the parks and buses in the wall to wall crowds. I go back and forth as I read these types of threads and appreciate the honest input. Hoping that all who choose to go during this time have magical trips! pixiedust:

Have gone two years 12/28-1/4 or there a bouts. If you have young kids its tougher. If kids are 10-12 and up you are pretty mobile. We really wanted to do the attractions/rides, so we got to park gate 1/2 hour before opening. Take advantage of the extra magic hours in morning. We always had a plan/strategy (such as going straight to soaring fast pass when gate drops then immediately going on test track). First couple hours are the best.

we always had a blast. NYE is really crazy but pick out the park you wanna spend NYE at and get there early in day and stay. That way you won't be shut out. Sit down restaurants can be crazy that night so we do the sit downs other nights and for NYE just eat on the run. Jan 1 in the morning is a great time as many sleep in. In past years 1/2-4 are way less crowded, but as a poster earlier said most schools will be out that whole week.

Expect crowds, go to parks first thing in am, relax, it will be great fun!

we always had a blast. NYE is really crazy but pick out the park you wanna spend NYE at and get there early in day and stay. That way you won't be shut out. Sit down restaurants can be crazy that night so we do the sit downs other nights and for NYE just eat on the run.
We do the exact opposite. We go home for a rest and we make sure we have a TS ADR in our PM park of choice. We find the sit down meal to be a refuge out of the craziness of the park on NYE and there's no fighting table vultures for a table at CS locations.

Like I said above..this is the only time we have to take a WDW vacation..insanely crowded or not..we are going. So..we have to make the best of it. I have every intention of getting there at rope drop..doing what we want to do..and then who cares..lol. When we first decided to go at Christmas..I made a post here about it. HUGE mistake..I was told it was "hell on earth"..that people would never do it again..even if it was free. I almost cancelled our trip.

Never a mistake to goto WDW IMO. :thumbsup2

I just like people to be prepared. Its tough to wing it when the crowds are like that. But with a good plan, some ADR's, and realistic expectations its the most magical time of year to be at WDW!!:)

We have spent 3 Christmas at WDW and I actually think it would be a let down to go there without all the Christmas decorations.

I was told it was "hell on earth"..that people would never do it again..even if it was free. I almost cancelled our trip.

Look at it this way, if it were "hell on earth" then there wouldn't be so many people there! Loads of folks go that week every year, and trust me, they wouldn't keep doing it if they didn't have fun.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be there with those kinds of crowds, but I also wouldn't let anyone convince me to cancel my vacation if I had decided to give it a try.

Look at it this way, if it were "hell on earth" then there wouldn't be so many people there! Loads of folks go that week every year, and trust me, they wouldn't keep doing it if they didn't have fun.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be there with those kids of crowds, but I also wouldn't let anyone convince me to cancel my vacation if I had decided to give it a try.

100% agreed! This was the point I was attempting to make before. I don't understand the need for so much negativity. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter