Horrible DCL Cruise Customer Service Experience

endorphin8

Earning My Ears
(Deleted threads, original post was not intended to be a rip on Disney or DCL, just sharing a horrible DCL pre-cruise customer service experience on our first time sailing on DCL and wondering if it was common for DCL Res)

This is exactly why I used a Travel Agent instead of booking direct through a cruise line.
I tell the travel agent what I want, I write the check, she makes it all happen exactly the way I want it.

Well, I wouldn't worry about the missing documents too much. When they arrive, there will only be luggage tags in them - anything else important, you can get on line.

You *will* have a magical cruise despite the missing docs!

MY documents for my upcoming cruise went to my girlfriend's house in California. She's NOT on this cruise, has in fact , only cruised with me ONCE, back in 2003, when she had a different last name and lived in West Palm Beach. I told her that was a sign she should come!:rotfl:

As far as rooms being far apart, I don't think it's fair to blame DCL, because if other cruisers booked before you and took up the state rooms before you, they'll have to give you what's available. In my experience they'll do whatever they can to get you as close as possible to each other, but they do have to work around what other people have reserved. How far away is your cruise date? Often rooms open up as the PIF date approaches and passes, so you might be able to move around and get closer.

I agree with the PP, you can get all your travel documents online, so the hard copies they mail are not crucial. Most cruise lines don't send hard copies anymore, so it wouldn't surprise me if someday Disney stops as well.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience, it is never fun when that happens. Sending you pixie dust for better luck! :wizard: We've never had anything less than great service, so hopefully your experience improves.

As above, the ONLY thing in the documents package that you will need is the luggage tags, and even those are not a "need" although it makes life easier for DCL if you are using their transfers.

ALL documents are on line and you are encouraged to do an on line check in and print out the signature forms. Makes check in at port a breeze. Luggage tags can be obtained at the cruise desk of any WDW resort (if you are going there first), at the terminal area from the porters (if you are driving), and if you are going to use DCL transfers, you just go to the Welcome Center and they take the info from your airline luggage checks. Do mention to them that you didn't get the luggage tags so they won't be looking for them.

As to rooms far apart...well, others have said it. DCL can't create availability when other people have selected rooms before you booked. They DO make an effort to put parties near each other with gty bookings, but that's the point of gty--you get what you get.

I've had very good experience with DCL Customer Service. The only exception was a precruise stay at Pop Century where no one knew a thing about the cruise (e.g., luggage handling, transfer pickup, etc.). Once onboard and when speaking with a DCL agent, everything has been fine for me.

WOW! I was really shocked to read the OP comments. :(

We cruise with Disney for the first time in February 2011 (we booked through an "online" travel company). We have had nothing but TOP notch service, for our pre-cruise experience thus far. My DD has a dairy allergy and I'd sent a "general email" to the "special services" department asking about meals and such. I did not include my phone number. Within 24 hours, a cast member called me, personally, to review my concerns and go over some of the choices DD will have on the cruise. I was so surprised to hear from them, via a phone call, as it would have taken some leg work for them to find the number.

I hope that your experience improves - and from what I hear, the onboard experience is AMAZING.

GL!

When I have booked cruise through DCL they always confirm addresses that they have on file to ensure that documents are sent to the correct location. Did you not confirm address during your booking process? This is as much the travelers responsibility as it is DCL.

(Deleted threads, original post not intended to be a rip on Disney or DCL, just sharing a horrible DCL pre-cruise customer service experience)

Have you tried calling the DTC and asking to speak with Guest Services instead of just the regular res floor CM? I would expect Guest Services to be a bigger help and try to make your experience better, especially if you make it clear that this experience is turning you off of the line.

You would think they would work a little harder for an agent/owner of an agency since their disservice will directly result in future sales, understanding they cannot move rooms easily if the lower categories are completely filled as the ship starts to sell out. Other than this issue, I am more excited for this cruise than any I have been on in a long time, but I will be very hesitant to want to help others book or recommend DCL if someone asked today.

You're right, they should! Is your agency Earmarked, by chance? I always call in on the Earmarked-Only hotline and get very good service; on the odd occasion when I don't get good service, I ask for Guest Services and they always make it right. This should apply to the general DTC line, as well. That's why I would think telling Guest Services that this experience is putting your recommendation at risk would get the matter fixed for you.

Good luck!

I have 2 approaches when the regular DCL line doesn't result in the response I need/want. First, not all CMs are created equal. It sounds harsh, but when I get something that I just KNOW isn't right, I thank them, hang up, and re-dial. I'll get a different person who will probably have the right info.

The other approach is to ask for a supervisor. Of course, they laughed at me when I called and asked for a supervisor first thing (I'd had a similar situation on another cruise). The CM wouldn't give me a supervisor till I'd explained the situation to him at which point he agreed that this situation required a supervisor to over-ride the computer.....thanks, dude. I already knew that!

Do I think you should get "special attention" as an agent? Did you book as an agent or did you book as a regular guest? Actually, you SHOULD get excellent service regardless.

My experience has been that everything goes right after you are on the ship....it's the getting there that can be a hassle!

Booking a GTY cabin is always a gamble especially when you are traveling with another family/group. Sometimes you get lucky and get an upgrade AND cabins beside each other (which we did once from a 12 to a 9, once from a 12 to an 11, and our cruise coming up in less than 2 weeks from a 12 to a 10). Then sometimes you get sort of lucky and get an upgrade but not next to each other (which we did once from a 12 to a 9 but as far away as you could and still be on the same deck. We were the 2nd cabin from the front on one side and my sister was the very last cabin at the back on the other side LOL!).

When you paid the $300 for the upgrade that put you in a GTY status? Then your other traveling party was in a different category but not a GTY status or you paid for an upgrade for them too?

I'm totally not flaming you here but when you book a GTY that means that you are willing to take what Disney assigns you.

I agree with SuzD, and if you are a travel agent, then you should expect the luck of the draw with any GTY, no matter what company, it should not come as a surprise. Disney tries hard to put linked cabins together, but GTY means they can put you where they need to fill space. Sometimes you get upgraded for giving them that ability. I don't understand why that is bad customer service...you agreed to take a GTY cabin.

As far as the documents, that would frustrate me too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter