Homeschool Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exciting ~ A new thread!

I have started planning for our next school year, and while trying to get an idea of what I am going to use with my oldest, I started considering the idea of switching to a new curriculum for him in math.

I am curious. What math curriculums do you use with your older children (6th grade and up)? My oldest DS12 will be going into the 7th grade, and we currently use Saxon. Most days I really like it, but then there are days when I think it is very boring. My son likes it fine I guess. He never complains about it, but I think he might enjoy a change for the next school year. I am interested in what others are using and how it compares with the style of Saxon.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
This will be messy and long.........sorry.
I have been around and around on this.I've done, Singapore, Saxon, MathUSee with different kids...I loved MathUSee for Alpha and Beta (basically adding/subtract/single and multiple digits) I liked MathUSEe for Gamma and Delta (multiplication/division) For the latter, he has some unique approaches and that was somewhat confusing, plus he doesn't really cover much else then those topics. Very little time/money etc. I like Math Mammoth (did a few of their small units on money and time) so my son is moving to that next year for 3rd gr instead of Gamma and Delta. My 5th grader is switching to Teaching Textbook after finishing Delta. She needs a change and I like the idea of it scoring for me and keeping a running record of her year.
My plan for the youngest (probably will change) is Math U see Alpha and then Beta, switch to Math Mammoth for 3rd/4th and then go to Teaching Textbook.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful

Kim

I have chosen Sonlight and am going to order this: http://www.sonlight.com/newcomer-p-4-5.html

We love Sonlight..Have used them since the beginning (with one, short, disastrous, try of a different curriculum that did NOT work for us)

I am on the fence for math. So far, either Saxon or Math U See. I like Saxon because it looks all inclusive (weight, adding, patterns, general math facts). I like the manipulatives also but I’m a hands on, gadget person. I like Math U See because it looks like it REALLY works for truly understanding what the content is. I’m just concerned about what it covers…I’m not really clear on it. What am I going to have to fill in the gaps for?

Saxon takes a lot of time for the teacher but it covers EVERYTHING. I used Math U See because it was easier for me. I have 3 to teach and can't consistently spend 1hr doing Math with one kids (unless it is to work through a glitch, I'm talking daily teach time.) Math U SEe does have holes, I used Math Mammoth mini lessons to fill on time/money/decimals etc.
I am now moving to Math Mammoth for my 3rd grader and Teaching Textbook for by 5th grader.

Explode the Code would be for (recommended to me by a close friend on the net)? My kids, not workbook kids, really like these and learned a lot

What about your space? I had a nice "school room" set up and they kept moving to my kitchen table. So, we use the kitchen table :thumbsup2 . I have several closets/bookshelves for storage but I turned the school room into a quiet reading/music room (meaning lots of book shelves for my "habit" and a piano!!)

Tell me more about lapbooks please! I am an avid scrapbooker and this appeals to me. Do you just choose a subject, research it and make the book? It seems like it could be VERY time consuming if you did one on each subject. How would I go about doing these at Raelee’s age? Where do I get started with it?

When do I order my materials? Should I get them now or wait and get them closer to when we will start? I order after the tax return:rotfl: . If you wait until June or later there is usually a longer delivery time. I try to order end of May when the end is in sight.

Stephenie
PM me if you have ??. I love to talk to people about homeschooling./

Kim

Hi everyone...I've been lurking around the Dis Boards for a few weeks and stumbled upon the homeschool chatter last week. I thought it might be a good place to meet some people and get some ideas. :goodvibes

I have three kiddos - the oldest is in first grade. After some miserable teacher experiences, an overcrowded classroom, some rough kids and an all around tough year, I'm seriously considering homeschooling my son. We live in PA and I've done a decent amount of research on the homeschool laws/requirements in our state. My stumbling block is really the curriculum. I'm looking for something that will cover all of my bases. Is that possible? Or is it better to break it up based on subject? I'd prefer something secular (no offense to anyone). I'm also wondering how homeschoolers structure the days? I know there's probably vast differences, but I'd love to hear how *you* do it!

I also really welcome any "first timer" stories or lessons learned etc etc. I'm so worried that I'm going to screw up and he's going to fall behind or that I won't be able to teach him at all...:sad2:

I really appreciate anyones willingness to share their stories and information with this newbie. I look forward to meeting you! Thanks so much. Denise :)

SO my question is this: Why did YOU choose to Homeschool?

I'm sure everyone's story is different, but here's mine... (short version)

I was a stay-at-home mom until my youngest started 1st grade. Went back to college and got a degree in Elementary/Early Childhood Education. Taught Kindergarten/1st grade for 3 years. Realized my kids were growing up fast and didn't want to miss the last years with them (oldest was a senior in high school). Decided to come back home until they were all gone. Youngest said, "Since you're going to be home anyway, why don't you homeschool me?" She was going into 8th grade at the time. I wasn't sure about teaching high school, but was very interested. She was in a private Christian school (where I taught) and it wasn't horrible, but I have to say that homeschooling has been the best decision of our lives! Also, a year and a half later, her brother (in 11th grade) decided to come home to school for his last year and a half.

We really like it because it's so flexible and they can follow their interests. DD loves sewing and piano, and she has time to develop those interests. Also, as they get older it's very easy for them to have jobs because they can work during the day when other kids are at school and do their schoolwork at night. DS was able to save over $5,000 for college by working at Sears his senior year.

Hi everyone...I've been lurking around the Dis Boards for a few weeks and stumbled upon the homeschool chatter last week. I thought it might be a good place to meet some people and get some ideas. :goodvibes

I have three kiddos - the oldest is in first grade. After some miserable teacher experiences, an overcrowded classroom, some rough kids and an all around tough year, I'm seriously considering homeschooling my son. We live in PA and I've done a decent amount of research on the homeschool laws/requirements in our state. My stumbling block is really the curriculum. I'm looking for something that will cover all of my bases. Is that possible? Or is it better to break it up based on subject? I'd prefer something secular (no offense to anyone). I'm also wondering how homeschoolers structure the days? I know there's probably vast differences, but I'd love to hear how *you* do it!

I also really welcome any "first timer" stories or lessons learned etc etc. I'm so worried that I'm going to screw up and he's going to fall behind or that I won't be able to teach him at all...:sad2:

I really appreciate anyones willingness to share their stories and information with this newbie. I look forward to meeting you! Thanks so much. Denise :)

That is exactly how I felt a few months ago!! My son isn't ready for Kindergarten yet, but almost! I was really nervous about doing it, but I recently found this really awesome Classical Education Co-Op that has "classes" two days a week. I went to the open house yesterday and it looks wonderful!! It makes me feel 100% confident that I can do this b/c for two days a week, he'll be learning from a tutor in a school like environment, and they will be evaluating him in the process. It just makes me feel better, really :)

I learned about this Co-op from an a yahoo group that I found just by Googling "Homeschool in Maryland". I don't participate in the group at all, just read a few of the info. e-mails, and that's how I found it. Soooo, I suggest you google "Homeschool in PA" and just join all the groups and read the e-mails and see what's going on....try a few things out and you're sure to find somewhere to get support!

About curriculum, we're going to use Sonlight. I love it! You can buy the all-inclusive options, and it is Christian based, but set up in a way that you can leave the religion part out of it. Also, even though it is religous, they don't practice the "Shelter your children from every non-Christian concept" idea, so I think it can easily be used in a secular way. You can sign up for a free catalog on their website. www.sonlight.com

Also, check and see when your local/state curriculum fairs are. There is one in Frederick, MD this weekend...it's the Maryland State one. Good Luck!

My stumbling block is really the curriculum. I'm looking for something that will cover all of my bases. Is that possible? Or is it better to break it up based on subject? I'd prefer something secular (no offense to anyone). I'm also wondering how homeschoolers structure the days? I know there's probably vast differences, but I'd love to hear how *you* do it!
Calvert was pretty good for a boxed curriculum. The only 2 problems I have with it are:
1 Too many work sheets for K...I thought I had to "do it all". If doing it again I would eliminate some of the repetition in the daily work.
2 Can't mix up grade levels except for math.

If I was starting all over with a K or 1st grader and wanted a boxed curriculum I think I would go with Oak Meadow.

What I really would like to see is a boxed set that follows the classical/The Well Trained Mind time line for history.

I'm not a Homeschooler but thought that this might be something some of you might be interested in. I'm an Education Administrator and this is a site that was brought to our attention to cater to the needs of Homeschoolers in our district.
http://fusefly.com/

My DD has been a vitual school student for the past 2 years and we are starting to get tierd of all the rules and regulations and keeping up with the school schedule. We would rather school year round, rather than the traditional calendar. I've been looking around at curriculums and I'm getting very overwhlemd. I really do love the K12 curiculum, but I dont have $1500 to pay for it myself. I'm looking for a good solid curriculum that will teach my DD what she will need to know to eventually move onto university. I would perfer a program that goes all the way to grade 12, but I'm willing to change for highschool. I'm also willing to use different resources for different subjects. My DD is 8 and doing grade 3 curriiculum at the moment. I lean towards a more traditional or textbook/workbook type of method. So far I'm leaning towards Math-u-see for math, but have no ideas for other subjects. Any sugestions would be apprecited.

My DD has been a vitual school student for the past 2 years and we are starting to get tierd of all the rules and regulations and keeping up with the school schedule. We would rather school year round, rather than the traditional calendar. I've been looking around at curriculums and I'm getting very overwhlemd. I really do love the K12 curiculum, but I dont have $1500 to pay for it myself. I'm looking for a good solid curriculum that will teach my DD what she will need to know to eventually move onto university. I would perfer a program that goes all the way to grade 12, but I'm willing to change for highschool. I'm also willing to use different resources for different subjects. My DD is 8 and doing grade 3 curriiculum at the moment. I lean towards a more traditional or textbook/workbook type of method. So far I'm leaning towards Math-u-see for math, but have no ideas for other subjects. Any sugestions would be apprecited.

I'm going to say, again :), Sonlight sounds ilke a good fit. Another thing I like about it, is that it is mostly reading and then comprehension...which is what most of college is about. That's all I did in college was read, read, read and write essays. :) There is the hands on stuff too, for science and stuff, and stuff can be left out/substituted for a more individula fit....

I suggest looking at Bob Jones for English! This is our second year using it, and I have been very pleased with it. It is both a grammar and writing curriculum. It is more traditional, very easy to follow, not overwhelming, and available through the 12th grade.

I attended a parent preview at a local private school two weeks ago, and while looking through their curriculums, I noticed that they use Bob Jones for English begining in 2nd grade and continue to use it through 12th grade. This school has a reputation for producing students who excel in colleges/universities so I felt a little relieved to know that I was not the only one using it. :)

I'm not a Homeschooler but thought that this might be something some of you might be interested in. I'm an Education Administrator and this is a site that was brought to our attention to cater to the needs of Homeschoolers in our district.
http://fusefly.com/

Thanks I will check it out!

I homeschool b/c I was 'called' to it. I fought it b/c I thought it was crazy, but then i became surroundd by homeschoolers in all of our extra curr. activities we were doing. So by talking to them, I learned a good bit.
Even the school principal talked to me about it at the school where our older DD attended for K and 1st. Maybe she thinks SHE planted the seed, but she didn't, she confirmed it for me, as well as others. Then came talking to DH about it, who was like, "NO" at first. After a year of pondering and meeting others that did it, he said, "okay, lets try it". At first we were going to have the kids finish elementary school where they were(b/c we liked it okay) and take them out at 4th grade. BUt eventually we decided to start young when it was easier to catch them up if we MESSED up!!! But so far, it isn't like that. They do well, we love it, it fits us and we take it year to year. The high school seed is being planted too, but we will see. Of all the things we DO, we know THIS is the right choice for our family right now. It is about the only thing I am positive I am doing right for my family. We are finishing up our third year in May!

Lori

Hi guys! Just checking in. Thank you for starting a new thread. We are having a great year and DS is loving it. I love seeing what you are using and what seems to work . I may change things up a bit for 8th grade . We are using many work books but he would like something different. We have A2 also but have used it mostly for the books. Any ideas?:surfweb:

Wow - 7 pages already!! I don't know how I'm going to keep up. I now have Disney threads to read on the Sonlight forums and homeschool threads to read on the DIS!!!:rotfl2:

We're in our 8th year of homeschooling. DDs are in 7th and 5th. We use mostly Sonlight, Singapore Math, Rod and Staff (English), some Critical Thinking stuff, Rosetta Stone, and other bits and pieces.

We're heading to WDW in October this year - starting our trip with our first Disney Cruise. :thumbsup2 I'm looking forward to making a feeble attempt at following this thread.

I hope it is ok to ask this question here. I have been considering Homeschooling my DD for 2 years now. We have tried several different schools and I feel they have all fallen way short of my expectations. (One even lost my DD:scared1: ) I don't want to make an "emotional" choice-I want to make the best choice for my child.

SO my question is this: Why did YOU choose to Homeschool?

I chose to hs for two main reasons:

1) I was a public school teacher and didn't like what I was seeing. Where I taught, there were few consequences for bad choices whether it was academically or behaviorally. Students were lacking in skills and school was just a social gather for many of them. (Please realize that I know that all public schools are not like this, but I saw enough to turn me away.)

2) I knew one very lovely homeschool family and was really impressed with their family bond. I saw my friends and their older children growing further apart. I saw the way parents are portrayed in TV shows and how parents who got involved in the schools were ridiculed by the teachers where I taught. I wanted to preserve that special family bond and be a positive influence in my children's lives without the saturation of a peer group at such a young age.

I have since found even more reasons to keep homeschooling.

1) academic excellence through one-on-one involvement
2) flexibility in our schedule and curriculum
3) time to devote to special talents and other areas (piano, theatre, creative writing)
4) avoiding agendas that are contrary to the core beliefs of my faith
5) a great homeschool community of friends

Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread. We have recently decided to start home schooling DD9 next school year. We'll let her finish 3rd grade, then we hope to HS on a traditional school calendar.

We are in an excellent school district, but we are still disappointed at the education our daughter receives. She's an A student and loves all subjects, but math, which she hates. We feel that she needs a little extra push in math but feel that she's being held back in other subjects. She scored perfect on her Reading State Exam but that is because we pushed her at home to read higher level books. DH was so disappointed when her teacher showed him a book she was so excited for the class to read. It was at about half the level of what she reads at home. We think HS will be great because we can let her excel in the areas that she does, but help her in the areas that needs help like math.

We are also disappointed in the amount of distraction in the public school system. She had one little boy threaten her with a gun. I'm sure he was joking, but you never know. He'll be the kind of kid that really takes a gun to school when he gets older.

We know that it will be hard work but we feel that it will be totally worth the effort.

We are in Texas. I've researched and have found that there are no laws enforced in Texas. No testing requirements, ect. Can any that has/is HS in Texas verify that.

BTW, we are doing Disney Sept 27-Oct 4. Anyone else going them?

We are in Texas. I've researched and have found that there are no laws enforced in Texas. No testing requirements, ect. Can any that has/is HS in Texas verify that.

BTW, we are doing Disney Sept 27-Oct 4. Anyone else going them?

Hi fellow Texan! No, there isn't any testing requirements. The only thing that I had to do was write a letter to our school district letting them know that I was withdrawing my children from the public school system and that I was going to be homeschooling them. This was to insure that the children would be withdrawn from the school officially and that they wouldn't be counted under the absentee laws.

We are not going to DW in Sept but we are in December!

Hi fellow Texan! No, there isn't any testing requirements. The only thing that I had to do was write a letter to our school district letting them know that I was withdrawing my children from the public school system and that I was going to be homeschooling them. This was to insure that the children would be withdrawn from the school officially and that they wouldn't be counted under the absentee laws.

We are not going to DW in Sept but we are in December!

Thanks for the info. We do plan on sending a letter to the school. Glad that is all we need to do!

What part of Texas do you live in? We live south of Houston.

Sounds like we're taking the same vacations! We're doing a land/sea at Beach Club, then cruising for 4 nights on the Wonder. Where are you staying?

We'll be at the Contemporary, since there will only be five of us instead of six, we're taking advantage of being able to squeeze into the room. The two big kids love the CR.

Julie

What part of Texas do you live in? We live south of Houston.

I bet we are close. We live south of Houston too ~ about 45 minutes away.

There is a great homeschool store in Houston. It is called The Homeschool Store. It is a hole in the wall place, but they have a ton of new and used materials and curriculums. I can spend hours in there thumbing through things. Check it out it you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter