Homemade Holiday Presents! Lets help each other! Ideas WANTED!

I go and buy 4x6 white picture frames from A.C. Moore and decorate them. I will go and look at the scrapbooking stickers and decide what theme I would like the frame to be, once I find it I go to the paint and pick out a paint color. First I paint the frame and then place the stickers on the frame.

I made my mil a bracelet and earrings using freshwater pearls and amethyst chips. There are also crystal seed beads.

I use the coupons for 40% off at Hobby Lobby and Michael's to buy the supplies.

I do make dough and freeze it. I think it tastes just the same although it's probably only in my freezer 1-2 weeks. A friend of my mom's told me that it's easiest to do all the mixing at once and then all the baking at once. She was the consumate hostess and entertainer and it does work great. I have all the mess of mixing one day and only cookie sheets on baking day.

I have done this too! It worked out great! What I did was roll the dough in individual balls and place them side by side on plastic wrap (just like break and bakes) then wrap them up put them in a freezer bag, and then you have your own break n bakes whenever you want them. :)

I'll try again with a photo.
169.jpg

Here is another homemade gift idea that I had some success with a few years ago. Bath bombs are balls of baking soda and citric acid with your choice of essential oils or fragrances added. When dropped into water they basically turn your bathtub into a large reservoir of soothing seltzer water.

1. Take 2 parts baking soda and and mix in 1 part citric acid. You might find the citric acid powder at a local winemaking or brewshop. Otherwise I have gotten them from brambleberry.com

2. Mix thoroughly.

3. Add your esssential oil and food coloring. Essential Oils work best for scenting. Only add a few drops of food coloring, if at all. I prefer them just plain white.

4. Spray witch hazel just until the mixture starts clumping together. Too much will start activating the mixture right there in the bowl.

5. Press into clear spherical molds that you might find at a craft store. Some people just use ice cube trays.

6. After a few minutes tap them out of the mold. Let sit a few hours overnight and they are done.

Sorry for the previous double-post I had. I can't figure out how to delete the second one.

Last year dd needed to exchange gifts with her 10 best friends. Since it was their last year at school together I didn't want to say no but how do you afford gifts for ten teenagers?

She did use her own babysitting money to buy supplies but I gave her the suggestion.

When they were all together I took a group photo and eleven copies printed at Walreens using a discount code (got one for her also) in 4 x 6 size. Then we purchased inexpensive white 5x7 photo frames and purchased mats for the photos that would fit the frames. I think we got both at Walmart.

DD clipped words, phrases and pictures from magazines and used a few scrapbooking stickers to decorate each mat based on the friends favorite colors and phrases. They were prefectly customized for each girls and the favorite gift.

When DH and I were both students, we could only afford homemade presents. We gave each person two jars of homemade jam (always apple jelly -- my secret recipe but oh, so easy -- plus one other) and each person also got the Christmas decoration of the year -- we would scout craft shows and shops to find something with a high-end look that we could duplicate.

Things got better for us and we started buying presents. But just the other day when sitting around a family dinner, we heard from everybody how much they missed the jam and had always looked forward to seeing the "decoration of the year" We're all trying to cut back now -- just in case -- so we're seriously considering going back to the homemade presents. Nice to know they were probably appreciated more than anything we could have bought at that time.

Wow! So many great ideas. It took me three days but I finally finished the thread, lol.

One thing we've done in the past and will probably do this year is a jar of chai. My dh used to work in a cafe and they made chai from scratch. We order all of the ingredients in bulk and then mix it up and put the tea and spices into jars with cinnamon sticks around the sides decoratively (inside of course) and then top the jar with a pretty fabric and include instructions. The small ball jars make about a gallon of chai. We order the ingredients from Frontier through a local co-op to get them inexpensively. A nice mug or tea pot would probably dress up this idea nicely.

Oh :goodvibes I need the recipe too -- believe it or not, it's for my DD :lmao: She just loves chai.

I hope someone can help. I lost the link to a template for snowman candy wrappers. The snowman was so cute it had a little scarf you wrap around too

I hope someone can help. I lost the link to a template for snowman candy wrappers. The snowman was so cute it had a little scarf you wrap around too

How cute! I did some searching and found a pic of what I think you are talking about...YES...if anyone knows a link to the template...please post...THANKS!!!

My children and I have been having fun making things (wallets, purses, backpacks) out of duct tape. Target even has a pretty plaid tape. Here some examples.

4054717218_d911dce90a_m.jpg

4054717260_1838efaf84_m.jpg

OH MY GOSH, ADORABLE! im sorry if i missed the post, but did you explain how to make these? i have a sister and 2 nieces who would love them!

OH MY GOSH, ADORABLE! im sorry if i missed the post, but did you explain how to make these? i have a sister and 2 nieces who would love them!

I can try to explain. If it would help I could even take some pics this week because I plan on making a couple.

I tear strips and lay them down slightly overlapping until I get to the width I want. Then I tear strips and place them on top (sticky side to sticky side) all the way across. Then I trim ends straight across. I fold bottom up and leave room at top for a flap. It then tape sides by putting a piece of tape half on one side and fold over. I fold a long strip over for the strap, cut small slits, slide ends throught and cover with duct tape. I use adhesive backed velcro to close the flap. The flowers on the one are little paper fasteners I had in my craft drawer and I covered the paper fastener part with duct tape.

Sometimes i use a solid color for the inside to make it easier. I made my son a Transformers backpack:rotfl: It all started when my daughter needed a wallet...:rotfl2: To make pockets just double side tape but leave sticky edge around 3 sides. You could make waterproof phone or camera cases!

Start with a smaller item like a wallet to get use to using duct tape. At my daughter's sleepover all the girls made wallets or purses. One girl folded hers in half (no flap) and had two handle type straps. You can use and exacto knife to cut out letters or designs in the duct tape.

Good luck and have fun. If you think pics would help let me know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter