Hicks on Holiday 2 - Done Brung the Kin Folk-Sept. 07 w/pics UPDATE 12/10/08 pg 41

Also available in England: Stella Artois (not bad) and Guiness (Jay's favorite but keep in mind this is the beer that drinks like a meal). I don't know if they serve it at Rose and Crown, but Murphy's is also pretty tasty.

And how can we forget Japan??? Try the Kirin Ichiban beer - quite tasty!!

Sometimes in Canada you can get Moosehead (a lighter beer, but not bad).
A better beer but not always available is La Fin du Monde - yummy!

If it's available in Italy try Peroni.. very good!

That's it.. I'm tapped. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

For what it's worth, these are all beers that Jay and I have both tried and liked (well, maybe I don't really like Guiness much). So your hubby has "four thumbs up" instead of two. :goodvibes

John definately is a Guiness kinda guy, so he's making notes. Tell Jay thanks!
I'll probably be old(er) and gray(er) before I will get any alcohol again.

Baby is worth it though. Don't need her getting tipsy too.
I always was a bit of a light weight anyway, so even if I could, I probably wouldn't be able to hold much. LOL
Now there'd be some good Hick family memories! :rotfl:

Yup. Seen 'em do it for the geese too. WELL, you went right by our house and didn't even wave! :confused3
Truthfully, I wave every time I go by your house!

It's going to be VERY hot, so I am thinking I will bring the dresses in a big ziploc and change them at the restaurant. Or something like that. K's Aurora gown has long sleeves. Suggestions appreciated.
Funny you would mention the Aurora outfit, because i was going to add you should be ok as long as they aren't wearing that one! Those long sleeves are killer! It's been hot when we went, mid to upper 90s and the girls were fine, but if you want them to look nice, (and not like a drowned rat) the ziplock bag is a very good idea.
[/quote]

All of hkite's relatives are welcome to crash parties at our house anytime. ;)
Aww, you is sweet

HEY!

I think you and hkite should combine forces on the next one, and tell the same story from two perspectives. Could be fun. Could be evil. Either way, you'll attract a readership. I am sure your stories are perfectly interesting!!! He's just bored because he's heard them all. :cool2:

Hmm, kind of reminds me of a book we have, the tale of the three little pigs told from teh wolf's point of view! I'm not sure which one of us would be the pig and which one is the wolf in this scenario though!

Hey everyone, I'm going to be off board over the holiday. I'll try to have an update when I get back. :wizard:

Hmm, kind of reminds me of a book we have, the tale of the three little pigs told from teh wolf's point of view! I'm not sure which one of us would be the pig and which one is the wolf in this scenario though!

Awe, you're both cute little fuzzy wuzzy wolves. LOL
I still think it would be an interesting read. ;)

Hope to see you soon!

Are you saying you want your Hee-Haw boxed set back? :confused:

Awww, man...HEE HAW!!! Yikes. I am embarrassed to admit my family watched this growing up. I hang my head in shame....

You two are too funny! :lmao:

Back from my mom's, hope to update here more soon!

Hi! I just saw your title and had to take a peak! You are so funny. I'm convinced that hicks are found in every state! I grew up in a hick town and in my dad's yard next to his single wide trailer he has an old yellow school bus with bible quotes painted all over it, that he bought from a church. It's now his storage shed! :rotfl2:

Hi! I just saw your title and had to take a peak! You are so funny. I'm convinced that hicks are found in every state! I grew up in a hick town and in my dad's yard next to his single wide trailer he has an old yellow school bus with bible quotes painted all over it, that he bought from a church. It's now his storage shed! :rotfl2:

That is so classic! :lmao:

As I said before, all hicks and hick-like peoples are welcome here!

I'm enjoying your food report, and haven't had time to go back and read all of your trip report, but I'm subscribed. Very entertaining! You're dd at Primetime -- Priceless! :goodvibes

Thanks for reading!

I just found you tonight from a link in your signature while I was reading Brenda's food report! I had to check it out since we're from Tennessee! We can get you some 'shine if'n you need it after bein' in the parks all day with all them young'uns! My best friend actually has a contact that makes flavored moonshine (like blueberry, grape, etc.)...I just don't know...it sounded too much like the fruit in Everclear stuff in college:sick:.

You could take the kids to Dollywood this summer to tide you over for WDW...I'll bet that would make a great trip report!! You are so funny, I can't wait to hear more about planning for 15 people!:worship:

I just found you tonight from a link in your signature while I was reading Brenda's food report! I had to check it out since we're from Tennessee! We can get you some 'shine if'n you need it after bein' in the parks all day with all them young'uns! My best friend actually has a contact that makes flavored moonshine (like blueberry, grape, etc.)...I just don't know...it sounded too much like the fruit in Everclear stuff in college:sick:.

You could take the kids to Dollywood this summer to tide you over for WDW...I'll bet that would make a great trip report!! You are so funny, I can't wait to hear more about planning for 15 people!:worship:

Hey -- I missed this post somehow! Welcome! We LOVE TN, and want to spend more time there. If we could just quit going to WDW long enough. :rotfl2:

Flavored Moonshine. That's just wrong. It sounds like yuppies set up a still at the back of the condo. LOL

Glad to have you on board! :goodvibes

So, indulge me a minute, I'd like to share a little history with you.

First, because I think it will help you to know us a little better.

Second, because if I don't stretch this all out a bit, I will have nothing to talk about until we come back in Sept. :sad2:

A long, long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away...

No, wait, this is supposed to be a Hick History.

Hmmm....

Oncer'pon a time, back when granny was still perty.....

I suppose it boils down to the story of a boy, and a girl.

A boy whose grandmother took him to WDW several times,
and a girl whose parents almost never travelled, especially to FL.
(It's a sad, sad story, no? Well, hang on, it gets better...)

It's the story of the traveling salesman's son, and the farmer's daughter.

(No joke! Though it was kind of funny when John first met my dad, and he asked how deep do you plant chickens. Har, har, har.)

As you might notice from my siggie, John and I spent our honeymoon at WDW. I don’t even know for sure how we decided on it.

I think it was because John’s dad, the salesman, had a customer with a travel agency.
John’s mom and dad offered to pay for a honeymoon as our wedding gift, which we thankfully accepted.
I think John asked where I wanted to go, and, although I had never been to WDW, I was certain I would like it!

We planned 4 days at WDW, which left time to drive down after the wedding, and drive back the next weekend, so that John only had to miss a week of work.

Our wedding was November 2, 1991, amidst a roaring sub-zero wind which was the pre-curser of a blizzard that was working its way across the midwest.

We decorated the VFW hall ourselves, and had a full thanksgiving meal buffet with REAL mashed potatoes. We had a DJ and danced the Chicken Polka, much to my new husband's horror, and the Stroll, much to his family's joy and my family's confusion. :dance3:

We had a great time at our wedding, but we were more than happy to get out of Dodge and head for much warmer climates.

We enjoyed driving down to FL, seeing all the states in between.
A long car trip, I always say, is the true test of a marriage’s lasting power. We passed with flying colors.

Our $600 honeymoon consisted of: 4 nights at the Lake Buena Vista Holiday Inn, free parking at WDW, 4 days at the parks, and one visit to either the waterparks or Pleasure Island. What a bargain!!!

This was before the Value resorts even existed, and when there were only 3 parks, MGM being the newest addition.
And it didn’t have TOT, RnR, Fantasmic, LMA, and Beauty and the Beast.
When I look at all that has been added to MGM since then, I wonder what did we do all day?

In the pre-internet society, planning for WDW consisted of two things: reading guide books and talking to people who had been there.

Thankfully, my best friend/roomate could afford guidebooks, and was going on her honeymoon to WDW 5 weeks before we did.
They, ahem, got to stay at the Grand Floridian. Not that I am jealous, or anything.

But, between the two of us, we managed to figure out what WDW was all about, and familiarize ourselves with what we would see there.

Looking back, I realize that John and I were still pretty clueless, and that, along with being pretty broke, made for a pretty pathetic trip. But at the time we were all pixie dust and romance, so it was all good! :wizard: LOL

That was back in the day, when early November had some of the lightest attendances of the year.

We usually ate Mickey bars for lunch, and ate dinner out of the parks, except for one time we had a burger at a sit down restaurant. To this day I am not sure which one, though I suspect it was LTT, because I seem to remember our waitress wearing colonial garb.
All I can tell you is that it was one of the best burgers I have ever had.

We LOVED Pleasure Island, especially the comedy club and the Adventurer’s club.

I can remember riding the monorail, and there was a little boy asking his mom “Is it really the most magical place on Earth?” Yes little guy, I do believe it is!

Then it was back to the real world, and a loooonnnnggg twelve year wait to return.

Next up: A Little History, Part 2

I can remember riding the monorail, and there was a little boy asking his mom “Is it really the most magical place on Earth?” Yes little guy, I do believe it is!
[/B]

Oh my, is that a tear in my eye? I do believe it is... I also get teary during those year of a million dreams commercials. Just the music will get me going.

I had forgotten that you honeymooned at Disney!

So, if it's a Hick History, would that make it a "Hickstory"??? :confused3 :lmao:

Our stories are a little similar. I grew up in the country in the middle of Nowhere, PA. DH was a city slicker who grew up in bustling Chicago. Our families are still like oil and water - probably a good thing they all live so far from each other!! ;)

When we got married, I was all for having our reception in the firehall like all of my relatives had done prior (and like I did for my first :sad2: ). However, DH wanted to have it in a hotel so my family wouldn't have to worry about cooking, decorating or cleaning. My mother was very appreciative, but I missed the decorating. It did turn out to be a great night, though. One thing I wouldn't compromise on was my "family song".

Anytime we have a reception church dance, etc, we always dance as a huge group - just our family members - to Garth Brook's, "Friends in Low Places". :dance3: I'm sure DH's family thought we were a bunch of rednecks, but I really did not care. We were having a blast and even let DH join in. He had a great time, too.

My cousin is getting married in September and will be having his reception in the firehall. I cannot even begin to explain how excited I am for this. Our family weddings are always so much fun. :woohoo:

Anyway....sorry to hijack your thread!! :rolleyes1 It's nice to get to know you better!! :flower3:

Keep writing!! :upsidedow

A Little "HICKSTORY" (LOL, thanks mvazul), part two...

When we last left our happy honeymooning Hicks, they had left WDW for the real world, and a loooonnnnggg twelve year wait to return.

Not that we weren’t occupied in the meantime.

When John and I were dating, he once mentioned he would like to have around five kids. :eek:
This was intriguing to me. How many guys talk about having kids at all, let alone FIVE!?!

I had always wanted kids, so I thought to myself he was a keeper.
:rolleyes:
(Well, that, along with his rugged good looks, and stunning gray blue eyes....but I digress....)

We have been blessed with seven kids since then, and they have been worth every moment of pregnancy nuttiness, labor, and general chaos that seems to envelope our house.
--And may I add, I had c-sections for the first two, had the rest the old fashioned way, and two of them were over 10 ½ lbs. :scared1:
Not bragging or anything, but I DESERVE to go to WDW!!! --

When John starting remarking that we should take them to WDW, I thought he was nuts.

We only had 5 at the time, and the youngest was only a few months old. I thought it was too expensive to go, and that there were no places that a family with 5 kids could stay at WDW.

After doing a little research, and conferring with my friend who had been the year before with her little girl, we found out about the cabins at FW.

(Oh, yes, this is the same friend who went to WDW before us for our honeymoons. Drat, she always beats us there!)

We didn’t find out about connecting rooms until much later, which I am now glad for, because it would have been cheaper and we would never have stayed at the cabins.

Then, WDW announced the Kids Stay and Play Free promotion, which gave us one free child's ticket for each adult, allowing us to only have to pay for one of our kid’s tickets (we had 2 under 3yo at the time).

John and I were sold, and booked for the end of January/beginning of February '03.
I got to be at Magic Kingdom for my birthday, which would have been great if the entire family would not have forgotten it was my birthday.
:confused3
On their behalf, we WERE a little busy and distracted by all those giant mice and other assorted sources of merriment.
And they did remember about 4 pm, just in time to get me a piece of cake at the MK bakery. :flower3:

That trip was very fun, but still a little bit disorganized, even though I had found the DIS and was now becoming the Disney expert.

And then it happened...

Next up... Hickstory Potpourri for 100 Alex...the '03 trip ends on a low note, mistakes mean more reasons to come back, and a haiku.

A haiku, huh? My, you are talented! I can't wait for more "hickstory"!

Next up... Hickstory Potpourri for 100 Alex...the '03 trip ends on a low note, mistakes mean more reasons to come back, and a haiku.

You have me on the edge of my seat! More soon please!

And I'd love to see more pictures of your cute kidlets, perhaps during previous Disney trips...!!!

A Little "HICKSTORY" (LOL, thanks mvazul), part two...

On their behalf, we WERE a little busy and distracted by all those giant mice and other assorted sources of merriment.

Not a problem!! :upsidedow :flower3:

Now, see.....if they were true Hicks or Rednecks, they would have brought their shotguns or traps and you wouldn't have had that problem at atll!! :lmao:

A haiku, huh? My, you are talented! I can't wait for more "hickstory"!

Thank you, thank you very much! :cool1: LOL
I WAS an English major ya know. Of course, I always point out that only means I can READ very well. LOL
;)

You have me on the edge of my seat! More soon please!

And I'd love to see more pictures of your cute kidlets, perhaps during previous Disney trips...!!!

I'll see what I can do. I will be putting a lot in the actual trip report. Of course, I really need to BUY a camera before then. Sigh.

Not a problem!! :upsidedow :flower3:

Now, see.....if they were true Hicks or Rednecks, they would have brought their shotguns or traps and you wouldn't have had that problem at atll!! :lmao:

That's how they are at character meals, because they are focused on the vittles.
Hey Mickey, how are you, get in the way of my food and I will have to take you out.
:lmao:

So I have to quick tell you all what happened yesterday...
[If you are on the Pop Cent. meet-up thread, this will be a duplicate, because I am not typing it twice. LOL]

I called CRO to pay off my trip, got a really nice CM, we're chatting away, she verifies our ressie info (was worried they would be like "You don't have a ressie,"), then takes my cc#, then says, "Oh shoot."

:scared1:

Oh shoot? Well, she says "I did the wrong amount."

I asked if it didn't zero out or something.

"Well..."

Did you not charge enough?

"Well..."

Pause.

"I charged too much. I mixed up the numbers. Instead of putting in $[around 3,000], I put in $[almost 7000]."

:eek: :scared: :mad:

"But it's ok, I can put it in again, and ask guest services to fix it."

Um, are you doing that today, because if you put both those charges through right now, I will be severely over my limit.

"Oh, no problem, guest services will fix it."

So I go on to ask a few questions about my SIL ressie, then ask again -- If the second amount puts me over limit, and this is declined, what then?
If it takes a long time to credit it, what will I do?
My pay off is Aug. 2!!!
[And this is my Disney visa, and I don't want to use something else because I get the 0%!!!]

"Oh, no, it's fine. It went through. Guest services will take care of it."

Well, here's hoping. I don't need that kind of stress 2 mo. before my trip!!!
:sad2:

Sigh.

Hickstory Potpourri for 100 Alex...the '03 trip ends on a low note, mistakes mean more reasons to come back, and a haiku.
[Sorry, got kind of long!]

So there we were, leisurely enjoying our first family trip to WDW, enjoying the splendor that is Ft. Wilderness Cabins.

Had I known what awaited, I probably wouldn't have wasted so many precious minutes "soaking up the atmosphere."

What I should have done is get out handy Mr. Bullhorn and say "This is a 'working vacation' people. MOVE IT, MOVE IT, MOVE IT!!!"

The biggest mistake I made was to save Magic Kingdom for last.
This wouldn’t have been a big problem, if:
1) we had not used our first MK day as a “sleep late, do laundry day,”

2) we had not only done ½ of the park, since we were going to be back 2 days later,
[That would be Adventureland, some of Frontierland, and a couple of Fantasyland attractions. And the hat store. That's it.]

and, drumroll please...

3) our oldest had not gotten stomach flu for our last day there, making it impossible for us to visit the other ½ of the park.

I left a wad of bedding on the picnic table that resembled a beached whale, and smelled as bad.

We thought we had her fixed up, put back together, but AFTER using our last day ticket at MK, we found out she was no where near well.

I spent awhile at the nurse's station with her, then there was the quality time in Cosmic Ray's bathroom, then there was the time spent laying on the pavement near the spinning tea cup rides, all while John tried to take the three boys on some rides.
That whole time they managed to ride Buzz Lightyear. That's it.

We finally gave up and went to our offsite hotel.

I cried most of the way home. It was really hard to get over it.

So my advice to anyone is: if there is something you want to see at WDW, DO NOT put it off till last.
Do it, and don’t worry about trying to arrange things so that they are “more magical.”
If WDW is not magic enough without you having to tweak it, your family is too jaded for WDW and you might as well stay home.
[Oh come on Sarah, tell us how you REALLY feel. LOL]

I felt fairly disatisfied, to say the least.
In the back of my mind, I was hoping to go back within two to three years, to try to improve on the experience, and so our youngers kids would get the opportunity also.

Then our world came to a stop.

On a windy Memorial day, '04, our youngest son was hit by a tree branch, and suffered a brain injury.
I am sure I some of you have read about it before, but suffice it to say we spent over two months in the hospital with him that summer.

I was pregnant with dd Bitsy at the time, and she was born 11 days after he got out of the hospital.

It really was the lowest point of our lives.

When we were sure ds was going to survive, John and I looked at each other and said “We need to go back to WDW.”
It gave us something positive to focus on, to plan for.

We got into a routine of therapy and dealing with all that goes with it, and we tried to plan a return trip to WDW.
[DS is doing very well, still in therapy, but starting to catch up to his age level. Still struggles with coordination and speech issues, but is a very intelligent guy.]

We booked for that following January, but John’s job got iffy and we had to cancel.

Then fall free dining was announced, and, well, I’ve already told you the rest of that story.

So now we are the nutty family that goes to WDW with seven children (as I mentioned, baby#7 arrived around 9 months after our last WDW trip. :rolleyes1 )
Nobody in our immediate families understands.
Our good friends that have gone several times get it, but even they aren’t as nutty as I am about the planning.
(I mean, they didn’t even make all of their DDP TS ADRs for their GG. Sheesh. LOL)

I realize it is a sacrifice to spend money on vacation.
We don’t put as much money into our house as some people would.
We don’t have all the latest technological advances.
We don’t eat a lot of steak (can you see why we love the free DDP so much?)

But we have decided we want to do fun things with our children now, rather than waiting til they are grown and wishing we had.
[Again with the soapbox–does she never stop?]

Soooo, if you have any questions about our family’s saga, I am happy to answer.
And I’ll see if I can come up with some other Disney related info to keep us entertained until we leave.
59 days from now. Whoo hoo! :cool1: :wizard: :dance3: :banana:

And because you have all been so patient and read all of the way through so far, a bonus haiku, for you [written before our last trip]:

Disney Remorse, a haiku by Sarah (2005)

Last trip cut short by
vomit virus, Mickey WHY?
Maybe free food heals...

Next up: Hicks on Hold, Part 2...
...which is fairly ironic, considering that part of the pre-trip has been on hold for a few weeks, as I throw in meaningless and trivial details of my family life in a pathetic attempt to hold onto the readership I have, while faced with the fact that my trip is not actually occuring for 1 month, 4 weeks and 1 day.
It's shameful, really....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter