*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Well, we checked in last night and I mentioned the refurbishment at the front desk. Very noncommittal reply.

Aren’t they obligated to renovate every 7 years? I don’t see how they can just dawdle through this.

Aren’t they obligated to renovate every 7 years? I don’t see how they can just dawdle through this.
No, they’re not obligated contractually. When DVC was created, the plan was for a refresh after 12 years and full refurb after 25! But it’s not in the contract. Around 2016 they announced the new schedule would be 7 and 14 years, but obviously they had a lot of catching up to do. And then COVID-19 and supply chain issues slowed them down too.

Wow… I did not realize their plan initially was to wait so long. Hope HHI gets the love it needs… I love the idea of adding a full service restaurant… surprising Vero has one but HHI does not.

Wow… I did not realize their plan initially was to wait so long. Hope HHI gets the love it needs… I love the idea of adding a full service restaurant… surprising Vero has one but HHI does not.
VB and HHI are two different creatures. Though I've not ever seen in documented proof, the long-standing story is that the HHI city council allowed Disney to build the resort with the agreement they wouldn't put in a full service restaurant so as not to compete against local eateries. The resort sits in the middle of hundreds of very good to excellent restaurants, several within a 5-10 minute walk, and scores of others within a 5-10 minute drive. Alternately, VB has very little within a 15 minute drive, much less walking, so having a full service restaurant there makes complete sense. Moreover, space is limited on Longview Island (where the resort sits), and no existing building has enough space to put in an entire kitchen and seating area. I mean, it could be done with some ingenuity, but I just don't see that happening as it would involve a major investment which I just don't believe Disney is willing to do.

VB and HHI are two different creatures. Though I've not ever seen in documented proof, the long-standing story is that the HHI city council allowed Disney to build the resort with the agreement they wouldn't put in a full service restaurant so as not to compete against local eateries. The resort sits in the middle of hundreds of very good to excellent restaurants, several within a 5-10 minute walk, and scores of others within a 5-10 minute drive. Alternately, VB has very little within a 15 minute drive, much less walking, so having a full service restaurant there makes complete sense. Moreover, space is limited on Longview Island (where the resort sits), and no existing building has enough space to put in an entire kitchen and seating area. I mean, it could be done with some ingenuity, but I just don't see that happening as it would involve a major investment which I just don't believe Disney is willing to do.
What he said!

Another point to make is that most of the villas at Hilton Head have a kitchen so many people cook in and eat in as well as take advantage of the varied cuisine on HHI.

I own at both resorts since 2000, and have never needed a full service at Disney's Hilton Head. There are so many excellent places existing and along with that, new places spring up as old places fold up so there is always change. In addition several businesses (Serg and Michael Anthony's to name a couple, plus Signe's) have begun catering to the prepared meal segment and have food ready to go that can be quickly prepared in your villa. Holidays will see offers of turkey dinners with all the trimmings that can be brought back as well as other options.

I don't often go to Vero anymore, but when we did we ate primarily at the onsite restaurants with maybe 1-2 trips to eat offsite. It's a different dynamic.

The two things I'd like them to address in the refurb are probably long shots - very long shots. I'd love some sound insulation in between floors. I'd also love it if they could give us a larger shower in the master bathroom of the 2 BR's (and the 1 BR's assuming they have a similar layout). It would require major construction though and probably getting rid of that giant spa tub and tile surround, so it likely won't happen.

This is our last day after being here for a week and there will be 3 very sad folks in the AM :) . Even though we are continuing on down to CCV for a week, it is always just so hard to leave this lovely place and all of the friendly cast members that make our stays so special. This was our first time coming for Thanksgiving and we've decided it will definitely by our new tradition!!

Last edited:
I was just coming here to find out the about the refurb at HHI. After 4 days at VB after a crazy busy week at WDW, we’ve decided to visit HHI next summer instead of VGC; we’re ready for a break from the parks and our kids were fully in favor of either HHI or VB again. Looking forward to the HHI trip! We’ve booked a 2 bedroom and waitlisted a 1 bedroom.

The two things I'd like them to address in the refurb are probably long shots - very long shots. I'd love some sound insulation in between floors. I'd also love it if they could give us a larger shower in the master bathroom of the 2 BR's (and the 1 BR's assuming they have a similar layout). It would require major construction though and probably getting rid of that giant spa tub and tile surround, so it likely won't happen.

This is our last day after being here for a week and there will be 3 very sad folks in the AM :) . Even though we are continuing on down to CCV for a week, it is always just so hard to leave this lovely place and all of the friendly cast members that make our stays so special. This was our first time coming for Thanksgiving and we've decided it will definitely by our new tradition!!
I totally agree about the sound insulation! It is the one thing that makes me reconsider continuing to visit the resort even though I love it so much. We have been lucky and gotten top floor almost every time. The big shower would be nice, but I can live without it. A quiet room is something I'm not sure I could live without, especially since I've gotten older and become an even lighter sleeper.

We've been here for 8 days, so far, and I keep looking at the living room couch. I can't believe they haven't gotten rid of it yet. If you want to sit in the living room and watch TV, you have to be just one person and sit in the chair. If you try to sit on the couch, it won't be long before you and the cushions are sharing a spot on the floor. Fortunately, we have different tastes in TV viewing, so DH watches in the living room, while I watch in the bedroom. I hope the rehab happens soon, and they finally get rid of those couches.

We've been here for 8 days, so far, and I keep looking at the living room couch. I can't believe they haven't gotten rid of it yet. If you want to sit in the living room and watch TV, you have to be just one person and sit in the chair. If you try to sit on the couch, it won't be long before you and the cushions are sharing a spot on the floor. Fortunately, we have different tastes in TV viewing, so DH watches in the living room, while I watch in the bedroom. I hope the rehab happens soon, and they finally get rid of those couches.
I couldn't agree with you more. Have you had an opportunity to ask how the "test preview" went? When I was there in October, whomever at Disney who approves refurbs was to stay the week after we left (mid October) - HH deserves some love immediately.

Yes, those are infamous couches. pirate: As I've mentioned previously, the resort bought 30 or so new couches and replaced the worst of the crop, though I have no idea if they used up all the new couches or are doing it as they deem necessary. I'd certainly let management know how terrible it was. They still might buy a few more or have a few in reserve yet, not that it will likely help you out much. Once the holiday season is over, there is a possibility that they'll try to refurbish some buildings...slight chance but maybe.;)

Yes, those are infamous couches. pirate: As I've mentioned previously, the resort bought 30 or so new couches and replaced the worst of the crop, though I have no idea if they used up all the new couches or are doing it as they deem necessary. I'd certainly let management know how terrible it was. They still might buy a few more or have a few in reserve yet, not that it will likely help you out much. Once the holiday season is over, there is a possibility that they'll try to refurbish some buildings...slight chance but maybe.;)
Maybe my complain helped. When I went to the front desk today, I asked when the refurbishment was going to be and was told next summer 2023. I complained that our couch won't last that long, that you couldn't sit on it now. She asked for my room number, so maybe the next guest will get a new couch! I also asked why the delay in refurbishment, and like so much, they blamed COVID.

I’m amazed they would wait until next summer… that’s peak season…. There must be more to the story or they are just conserving cash due to Disney’s financial woes…. Seems they’d want to have the hotel entirely online for peak season..

I agree about next summer - wish it would start much sooner. Maybe they will say more at the meeting on Dec 8

I’m amazed they would wait until next summer… that’s peak season…. There must be more to the story or they are just conserving cash due to Disney’s financial woes…. Seems they’d want to have the hotel entirely online for peak season..
Well, they're apparently starting the BWV refurb in September, so it will go into BWV's peak season of Food & Wine Festival. Maybe scheduling contractors, supplies, furnishings, etc. are not completely under their control, because I agree they would want to have both entirely online for their respective peak seasons.

or they are just conserving cash due to Disney’s financial woe
Refurbs are paid for from the Capital Reserves portion of each condominium association’s budget. So that money has been collected from member fees and set aside over the years and should be available. It doesn’t come from “Disney’s” funds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter