Just checked out this morning and on our way to the beach. Thought I'd share some thoughts about our stay July 25-Aug 2. It was our first trip in two years; we always go the same week. Last year was really hard. My husband's job was shut down for 8 weeks, and when he was able to go back, he didn't feel like he could take a vacation. So not only was this our first Disney trip in 2 years, it was his first vacation in that long. I had taken 3 of our children to a lake for a long weekend, but needless to say, we were so excited for this trip, even knowing it would be different (though not expecting that mask change - whew!).

Resort: Coronado Springs - first time at a moderate resort and have done nothing but DVC the last 5 trips so I was worried we'd be disappointed. In short, we LOVED it. Beautiful property, clean & pretty rooms, our kids loved the theming. Loved the Dig Site! Buses were either awesome or really bad... But only really bad twice (once leaving MK and once trying to get to MK in the evening). DH and I got 3 Bridges to go twice after getting back late from the parks - really good!! Also liked the options at Siestas Cantina. On day 2 of our stay, housekeeping came while my daughter was napping. She apologized and said she'd come back. She didn't. The following day I went to the front desk because our garbage was overflowing in both rooms. There was a note we had "declined" housekeeping the day before. 🤔 This was all clarified and rectified very quickly. Within 15 minutes we had a clean room and no more issues going forward. In fact, the same thing happened with my daughter napping on Saturday (teenagers!) and later someone came to make sure that housekeeping had returned to service the room. Every single CM we encountered was so helpful and kind.

Parks: I used Lines religiously and it didn't fail us. I know there's a certain amount of luck involved, but our trip would have looked totally different without that app. I watched times the week leading up to our trip, and we had a loose and flexible plan. We did rope drop every morning except for our one Epcot day (we cruised in at about 11:15 and totally missed the opening chaos but still walked right on Soarin). In the first 2-3 hours we would knock out 5-6 rides and then grab lunch and head back to enjoy the Dig Site. I remember the first morning in MK my dh was watching times on MDE and he was very concerned about us standing in a 50-minute line for PotC (it was 15). ☺ It was in the evenings that, honestly, we really missed FP+. I loved sitting with my evening snack or drink and nabbing FPs for my family to use around the park. We got to do everything we wanted this time, but some of our favorites were only done once in two days rather than a couple rides each time. That said.... I learned to enjoy NOT being glued to my phone, developing carpal tunnel as I refreshed on repeat for hours every day. It was different.... but still good! I kept telling them, "Be flexible in your spirit" 😂😂 Most of us are pretty type A and the rest just don't like change, so it's an interesting mix... But they did great.

Food: Mobile ordering worked well for us. One HS morning I placed our Woody's order on the bus on the way to the park. As others mentioned, we mostly snacked in MK... Had a lot of ice cream there! The kids ordered The Back Side of Water last night and loved it, fyi! The new coconut Dole Whip is also great. Had lunch yesterday at Crystal Palace and we all really enjoyed our choices. We had one of the first lunch reservations of the day, and our food was hot and fresh. Loved Oga's too! We ate at Sci-Fi one night -- had never been, but hadn't heard great things -- but our kids absolutely loved it and I thought the food was good! The restaurant was maybe half full, and I know all the reservations were taken because I had tried to change our time to no avail. We've never done this many ADRs in one trip, but I'm so glad we did, with wait times what they are in the evenings. Loved the Wookie cookie at Backlot -- it's huge, btw. And I also loved my pork carnitas kids bowl at Pecos Bill. ☺ Something light and fresh is always nice. Our favorite thing of all was Food & Wine. Always going in July means we've never done this, and we loved sharing items
THANK YOU!! You’re family sounds similar to mine (we’re even staying at CSR for the first time and are a little worried). We’ve really been contemplating cancelling and your post (and other recent ones) is pushing me back to just going. I appreciate you taking the time to share.

We're just back from a 4 night stay. I'll keep it short. We LOVED not having fast passes. It was awesome. The longest we waited was 90 minutes for Smuggler's Run. Everything else was less than the time posted. We often waited for 1/2 of the time that was posted. The park felt crowded but the lines did not. Mobile ordering was great. EPCOT food and wine was the best we've ever experienced. The food was especially good this year. Transportation was fast except for the night we left EPCOT and the monorail was not working. We were stuck at the TTC waiting for a bus. It took forever and it was not a great way to end the evening. Cast members were all very helpful and friendly with a few exceptions. During the last two days when the mask rules changed, we saw the stress in some of their faces. We even heard one CM say "oh great, I'm going to get yelled at again" when she had to remind families to put on their masks. We felt bad for a few CMs since my dd has also experienced this at her part time retail job. Our experience was overall positive. Here's my tip - try the cheeseburger spring rolls near Adventureland in the MK!

THANK YOU!! You’re family sounds similar to mine (we’re even staying at CSR for the first time and are a little worried). We’ve really been contemplating cancelling and your post (and other recent ones) is pushing me back to just going. I appreciate you taking the time to share.
Same here. Right down to CSR first-timers. My kids are so excited for the dig site in particular. Figure if the parks are too crowded, they'll have a fun pool to play in.

wow you and I had opposite experiences on the same day.
We found it unbearably hot and insane crowds. 100 min wait for slinky at 9am??
Got in line for MMRR at 8:51 and waited 45 min. In crazy heat.

glad you had a good day-
I’m never coming back in august w out fast passes. EVER AGAIN.
Yeah, I was there today and similar to yours. I wish I had the same attitude/experience as the poster, but nope

I'm going to bet that I just had a quick summer cold - still scary though. Haven't had anything at all since 2019.

We've been taking our temperatures daily now since Covid started, and none of us ever had a fever; like I mentioned before, neither kid had any symptoms - just me with congestion and a killer headache.

I haven't taken anything today, and head is clear. Fully vaccinated, but still scary. I did sleep about 14 hours yesterday. Sigh. Hope everyone else just has a summer cold too!

Exactly---- only mentioned it because of exactly what you said--- three of us haven't had anything since 2019--- nothing !! Not even a sniffle (other than my son's allergies!!)

wow you and I had opposite experiences on the same day.

We found it unbearably hot and insane crowds. 100 min wait for slinky at 9am??

Got in line for MMRR at 8:51 and waited 45 min. In crazy heat.

glad you had a good day-
I’m never coming back in august w out fast passes. EVER AGAIN.

Same, except July for us--- without FP...its a no go !!

Sorry to hear that but it gives me some hope for my grandson not being positive. I just get furious over people going into the parks sick. It’s just so selfish. This is the first time my grandson has been sick since the beginning of covid.

There were ppl coughing all over the place when we went--- and no masks--- we were outside one day in Epcot, and started to pour--- found shelter outside of one of the bathroom areas, and a lady sitting there sounded like she was going to choke up a lung her cough was so bad !!

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/1-day-magic-kingdom-plans/
I was there the same morning as Tom and agree with his updated touring plan strategy for the most part. Rope dropping Space Mountain was a failure for us. The second morning we rope dropped BTM, which is a risk because it seems to be down at opening 25% of the time. The wait time for Splash Mountain immediately seemed to skyrocket, much like our personal experience at Space Mountain.

3 reasons I think it makes sense to RD BTM right now - 1. The shade at Liberty Square entrance at the hub. The first day we rope dropped Space Mountain the crowd at the Tomorrowland Bridge was intense and directly in the sun. Sitting in the direct sun for 30 minutes in this heat and a crowd is a terrible way to start the day. 2. Because BTM is down so much at opening, relatively few people RD it thinking it is too big a risk, BUT 3. If it is down, you are close enough to correct your course upon finding out and reroute to PPF and HM, imo.
Planning your day to follow the shade in the summer is a killer idea and I'm surprised I haven't seen it suggested before...👏👏

I’m sorry that happened. We’re on our way home now with my grandson who is sick. Testing in the area wasn’t possible and as long as we can control his fever, we’re waiting until we can test at hone where it’s much easier and he can be under his drs care. His temp hit a little over 103 last night so that was a little scary, but it’s down now thankfully.

We were absolutely as careful as we could be but with the crowd levels what they are and people fighting against masks, it’s a huge roll of the dice. The rest of us are vaccinated and so far, no symptoms. We’ll all be testing when we get home.

Prayers out to all of you---- guess is the summer cold/virus that is seems like everyone is catching--- I mentioned this in another post--- DD15 and I are both vax'd, and she kept saying "dad, dont worry"--- by the middle of the trip, her tone changed--- some of the lines were ridiculous as far as any chance of distancing at all--- I would have gladly taken even 3 feet !!!

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/1-day-magic-kingdom-plans/
I was there the same morning as Tom and agree with his updated touring plan strategy for the most part. Rope dropping Space Mountain was a failure for us. The second morning we rope dropped BTM, which is a risk because it seems to be down at opening 25% of the time. The wait time for Splash Mountain immediately seemed to skyrocket, much like our personal experience at Space Mountain.

3 reasons I think it makes sense to RD BTM right now - 1. The shade at Liberty Square entrance at the hub. The first day we rope dropped Space Mountain the crowd at the Tomorrowland Bridge was intense and directly in the sun. Sitting in the direct sun for 30 minutes in this heat and a crowd is a terrible way to start the day. 2. Because BTM is down so much at opening, relatively few people RD it thinking it is too big a risk, BUT 3. If it is down, you are close enough to correct your course upon finding out and reroute to PPF and HM, imo.

We always prefer rope dropping BTMRR or Splash because of all the reasons you mention. During our first rope drop this past trip, we were waiting up front to head to BTMMRR when the CM announced both Splash & BTMRR would not open at 9:00. We switch plans and were among the first group to ride PP.

Just want to wish all of you who unfortunately caught a Covid bug or cold bug recover quickly and promptly. I enjoy reading all of your reports and suggestions. To those of you who have trips quickly approaching, I want to wish you all a happy, healthy and safe trip. Please don’t forget to tell those hard working CMs how important they are. To those who are postponing the trip, thank Goodness that we have Disboards to satisfy our Disney itches until we are back on the road to see the castle really soon again. :sunny::sunny:

We're just back from a 4 night stay. I'll keep it short. We LOVED not having fast passes. It was awesome. The longest we waited was 90 minutes for Smuggler's Run. Everything else was less than the time posted. We often waited for 1/2 of the time that was posted. The park felt crowded but the lines did not. Mobile ordering was great. EPCOT food and wine was the best we've ever experienced. The food was especially good this year. Transportation was fast except for the night we left EPCOT and the monorail was not working. We were stuck at the TTC waiting for a bus. It took forever and it was not a great way to end the evening. Cast members were all very helpful and friendly with a few exceptions. During the last two days when the mask rules changed, we saw the stress in some of their faces. We even heard one CM say "oh great, I'm going to get yelled at again" when she had to remind families to put on their masks. We felt bad for a few CMs since my dd has also experienced this at her part time retail job. Our experience was overall positive. Here's my tip - try the cheeseburger spring rolls near Adventureland in the MK!

We loved not having FP as well when we went in June. However, the mobile ordering was not that great for us. We had to wait up to 30 minutes after our window ended for food that we ordered when we entered each park in the morning. This was before the college program CMs came back so I'm sure they were very short handed and that led to the delays.

We didn't try the cheeseburger spring rolls, but had the buffalo chicken ones instead. I'm so addicted to them now I'm making them in my airfryer and then freezing them for quick lunches. Maybe I should try making the cheeseburger ones as well.

We arrived Saturday and i was kinda dreading this trip because of Covid ramping back up and the crowds and heat. I’m pleased to say that I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

We were at MK yesterday and did everything we wanted. Park was crowded and hot but we managed expectations, wore our masks in crowds and went back to the resort during the day. Ate at Cali Grill at 5 and went back to MK after dinner did rides instead of fireworks and did HM, SW, 7DMT and PoC between 9 and 10

Today was Epcot. We started at IG at 11 and stayed through the day. It was hot but we had a rain shower at around 1 and it somehow actually cooled down. Did everything at a leisurely pace and had a fantastic time. First time we didn’t go back to the resort mid-day in forever.

So, please don’t get too discouraged reading these trip reports. Yes, it’s hot and crowded. Yes, there’s still a pandemic and I was very nervous watching the numbers rise, but I’ve felt pretty good about things (if we were in crowds: we masked and we just avoided things that were crazy crowded like Main Street at closing. We definitely have felt the magic and don’t regret our trip at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter