At MK this morning. Went to Space at opening- it was down as was BTMRR. Rode Tea Cups and got barnstormer and dumbo with no waits and Buzz with a 15 minute wait. Posted time was accurate. Back in line for Space now with a recovery pass.

The DAS line is a mess at Space. One CM handles issuing DAS return times, then DAS, swap and recovery as well as turning those away who don’t qualify to be in the line but got in it because it was shorter. The line is long and I feel for those with kids who don’t handle waits and heat.

Next up, pretzels!!

We always do Space at the end of the day, but that DAS line would be brutal in the sun. That is NOT a one person job.

I've seen a few posts about DAS (I'm sorry those people had rough experiences and this is not a response to those) and thought I'd post about how it went for us. We used it well at all 4 parks. Like everyone else, we didn't get as many rides in as usual, but viewed through the lens of how crazy the parks are right now, it was immensely helpful with my son. My observations:

There was usually a line to get a return time. Lots of people being turned away because ____ (they didn't have DAS set up correctly, they just wandered into a shorter line, they wanted "those fast passes like all of these other people," etc etc). I got BIG smiles from cast members almost every time when they saw I knew what I was doing.

You WILL have to wait the entire return time. If they say 3:58, they mean 3:58! I know in previous times they sometimes allowed people to just walk in or return a little early, but not anymore. We saw a lot of people trying to abuse this.

Many people don't know that you don't have to have your entire party present to get a return time. Me and my husband took turns getting it while the other walked around with the kids. On the flip side, you MUST have your entire party present when it's time to ride. Cast members were very strict about not letting people hold places in line for others.

When getting a return time for a very popular ride like 7DMT, we tried to get them right before meals, so we were in a/c while we waited. Also remember they don't have an expiration window like traditional fast passes. You can get one before leaving a park to go rest or swim, them come back and use it later. They do expire end of day though.

After tapping in, we still encountered waits in about 50% of lines. Still shorter than the standby line though.

Lastly, and this one was a new discovery for us - any Guest Experience member under a blue umbrella can make a DAS reservation for you. I got one by the center entrance to World Showcase (by where the Christmas tree goes up) with no wait. Asking nicely helps ;)

What a wonderful summary!

We learned about the Blue Umbrellas about an hour before we left the park on our last day :( I guess they don't have those at Magic, but they do at the other parks! Yay!

We also found it useful to have a DAS running down during our meals or during our "leave the park for an afternoon break" times. That really helps so much. And yes, the CM LOVE when you know the system and don't try to abuse it. Thanks again for a great post!

Walking around MK today it seems less congested than last week and even yesterday. Wait times are down too.
I am curious to see now that masks are back how it affects attendance. Was thinking about canceling
upcoming trip but now will probably keep it.

I’m sitting in my off site hotel room listening to the news. Disney and now Sea World (not sure if Sea World is effective immediately or not) are the only local theme parks requiring masking indoors.

Yesterday my friend went to Epcot. She said all indoor cm wore masks. But outdoor at F&W the cm didn’t. This was her first venture to Disney to since March 2020, and are felt a bit apprehensive being only a plate away from someone handing her food.She hopped to MK and left because she was overwhelmed.

The hotel I’m staying at has all employees wearing masks, indoor and outdoors. The convention here (my son is attending) has everyone wearing masks as well. There is no housekeeping until after check out. There’s a number to text if we need anything from housekeeping. Not all restaurants in the hotel are open. Most guests I pass in the hallway are not masked.

And I just want to mention how hard it is to stay here while ds is at his convention. Disney is so close!
Sea World says “recommend” for guests, or do you mean they will require for employees? Or is there an update I can’t find? I’m just trying to clarify because we are going soon and want to be prepared!

Sea World says “recommend” for guests, or do you mean they will require for employees? Or is there an update I can’t find? I’m just trying to clarify because we are going soon and want to be prepared!

I was watching WFTV out of Orlando. I see nothing online either. I think it was about employees.

We are headed to WDW for a stay at BC in less than 48 hours- YAY!! We have probably been almost 30 times in the last 10 years but have not been since right before the pandemic hit. We have had a rough last year as a family (like many others) and we desperately need a good experience at our happy place. I am not backing out now but so discouraged by all the negative reports. Can anyone report on having a surprisingly good experience in the last week or so??? Besides tempered expectations (my tweens/teens are so tired of me using this phrase) any specific advice for a seasoned veteran with no post-covid experience? I am desperately seeking positive experiences (hoping they still exist).
I was there in April, solo. At that time you had to wear a mask at all times except when eating. I was staying at Dolphin. I had park hoppers and was there for 4 nights, 5 park days.

I go often but at that point had not been since Jan. before the shut down. I was ready to go no matter what I had to put up with, I was one in on my shots. I had a great time and am going back in early Sept. I think having park hoppers helped and the fact that I'm not totally focused on riding rides. I did ride everything I wanted and even a few things I wasn't really interested in just so I could report back on wait times. My arrival day I got there around 2 and my room was ready, it had been a monsoon on the drive down from when I passed the Ga/FL border all the way into Disney so I was stressed. I changed clothes, put on my full body rain coat and walked over to Epcot. I had planned on eating supper at F&G booths but the monsoon put a halt to that although I did go into the building they were using beside Canada to grab a few things to just tide me over. I made ADRs for later that day at France while eating my snacks. Walked around a bit in the rain, just enjoyed not being at home until my ADRs. The rain slowed down while I was eating and I walked over and rode Soarin, The Land, Nemo (which I don't usually ride because I liked it the way it was before darn it), walked around and looked at fish, rode Figment and walked back through WS and rode Frozen (I don't like that ride but research) and grabbed some sweet something at a booth and walked back to Dolphin. The rest of my trip I would start in the park I made reservations for and stay until around 1 or 2 and go back to my resort and swim/rest then off to another park. I think my first full day I did AK and hit MK that night (which was good). I didn't get rise in the morning my first try but was able to get it at 1 while sitting at Brown Derby enjoying my Cobb Salad. My only disappointment/bad experience was MK. Even then it was crowded and people weren't obeying the mask or social distancing markers. Between my first night there and the day I had reservations, I did ride everything I wanted to ride - Pirates, PP, Pooh, Under the Sea, MTMRR, CoP, Seven Dwarfs, HM and Liberty Bell. People Mover wasn't open yet. I don't ride Space Mountain it hurts and don't ride Splash the rain kept me plenty wet. At AK I rode everything I wanted - Safari, EE (I didn't really want to ride this but the line was short and research) Dino, Navi and FoP (again don't like this ride that much but research). I don't do the water ride. I ate at Nomad Lounge. I had 2 days of reservations at HS so didn't feel rushed either day but again, rode everything I wanted. SDD, Aliens, RotR (twice) MF, Mickey and Minnie, ToT (I rode that a few times during the trip, it's my favorite). I don't ride Star Tours makes me sick and don't ride RnRR, it hurts. I road Soarin at least 3 times during my trip and The Land at least 3 times. I rode everything at Epcot except Mission Space, makes me sick. I never rope dropped, took a break every afternoon, ate at a few TS restaurants making ADRs day of, noshed at F&G booths and did not close down a single park.

So, it's possible to ride rides, eat TS, take breaks and not rush around and just enjoy yourself. I'm a frequent visitor so that helps, we rarely used FP when it was available because we don't like to plan and we never made ADRs in advance, just day of. I don't mind waiting in line, yes it was hot and having a mask on outside was not as fun as not having a mask on but it was fine. Park Hoppers help because you can leave and go elsewhere.

I said the same thing to my wife as we were waiting before rope drop. Crowds seem less than they were just four days ago this morning. Hopefully that continues.

update. Walking out of the park at 1:15 PM to go swim and nap at the boardwalk. Looking a little busier now, especially Main St.

-Dan

This may be the best thing I've seen you post this week :stitch:

Hope the trend continues for the rest of your trip!

My multi quote got all messed up but someone asked this:
We are headed to WDW for a stay at BC in less than 48 hours- YAY!! We have probably been almost 30 times in the last 10 years but have not been since right before the pandemic hit. We have had a rough last year as a family (like many others) and we desperately need a good experience at our happy place. I am not backing out now but so discouraged by all the negative reports. Can anyone report on having a surprisingly good experience in the last week or so??? Besides tempered expectations (my tweens/teens are so tired of me using this phrase) any specific advice for a seasoned veteran with no post-covid experience? I am desperately seeking positive experiences (hoping they still exist).[/QUOTE]

I’m here with my daughter now and we’re having the best time! Lowered expectations on experiences but not fun!! Less rides for sure, but we’re people watching and enjoying queue detailing and as with all things in life, your attitude dictates your experience. Of course you see my screen name is HappyJen, so that is my default. So far we did MK our first day, it was raining and we got through HM, BTMRR, Pirates. Then went back to the resort because we were up at 3AM for our flight.
Next was DHS, scored a RoTR, tried to do slinky and it broke down, did TSMM, Millenuin Falcon and ate at docking bay 7. Also tried the milks (blech ). I find we’re planning our days around food and not rides. Haha.
Yesterday was AK. Did FOP early, Navi, and had an amazing meal at Satu’li, then left. Those cheeseburger pods were good, but the bowls are where it’s at!! Went back for FOP last thing at night. Had a full day for sure.
Today we had The Wave breakfast at Cali Grille, so delish, price can’t be beat for that view. We’re laying around in the resort room now which I’m sure some people think is a total waste of time, but we have full happy bellies. Around 4 we’ll head to DHS and try to ride MMRR and slinky which we couldn’t get to the first day because we ran out of steam.
There is magic everywhere if you look. One of my favorite moments was in MK a cavalcade went through. girl, about 8, lit up, so excited, ran back to her family about 10 feet away arms flailing and eyes excited with a huge smile to get her little sister, around 4yo, to bring over to the cavalcade. It was beautiful and magical to see them enjoy that moment.
[/QUOTE]
Is Pandora still lit up at night? AK closes at 8 for one night during our trip. We hope to see Pandora lit up if we get into the FOP at 7:55.
It was still pretty light outside at 8:15 when we were leaving yesterday. Things are lit up, but don’t show up well in the still bright-ish twilight.

I said the same thing to my wife as we were waiting before rope drop. Crowds seem less than they were just four days ago this morning. Hopefully that continues.

update. Walking out of the park at 1:15 PM to go swim and nap at the boardwalk. Looking a little busier now, especially Main St.

-Dan

I am happy to read this. Heading down on August 8th - I have been following the boards closely to see what the trends and experiences have been. We intentionally booked Yacht Club so that we could walk to 2 parks and enjoy the pool if we feel the crowds are just too much......since the annoucement regarding masks, I've been perusing the Disney Website and noticed a lot of availablity popping up for resorts that had no discounted rooms available, so I am hoping that the crowds may diminish a bit before our arrival. Regardless, we are going into it knowing it won't be the same, and happy to just BE there and enjoy other things if the Parks are too much.

I am happy to read this. Heading down on August 8th - I have been following the boards closely to see what the trends and experiences have been. We intentionally booked Yacht Club so that we could walk to 2 parks and enjoy the pool if we feel the crowds are just too much......since the annoucement regarding masks, I've been perusing the Disney Website and noticed a lot of availablity popping up for resorts that had no discounted rooms available, so I am hoping that the crowds may diminish a bit before our arrival. Regardless, we are going into it knowing it won't be the same, and happy to just BE there and enjoy other things if the Parks are too much.
In the same boat. Heading down on 8/12 and hoping just for a 10-15% drop in crowds...would be a huge difference.

-Dan

my husband and I left MK around 1:50 pm and agree, it felt like it was get more crowded. I’m sure it has something to do with letting in Park hoppers 10 minutes before 2:00.

We walked to HS in the morning but took the skyliner back both days-it’s an easy return trip. Station is closer than bus or boat dock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter