Here is why dieting stinks....

Papa Deuce

<font color="red">BBQ loving, fantasy football pla
I am a 280 pound man. Yeaterday I was a 277 pound man. Yesterday I ate 1600 calories and worked out at the gym for 35 minutes. Not a lot, but still, it was my 1st workout in a very long time.

I have 2 software programs for tracking weight, nutrition, and calories. Both programs indicate that a man of my size needs about 3500 calories a day just to maintain weight.

So, you do the right things and in ONE DAY you gain 3 pounds. You look at the scale. You get depressed. You eat lots of bad stuff, now you weigh 282 pounds.......

Well, I'm not going to do that.... it's off to the gym again. But boy am I frustrated.

1. Keep up the good work.

2. Don't expect instantaneous results. Sometimes my bad/good weeks take a week to catch up with me.

3. Muscle weighs more than fat. So, initally, you may gain or stay the same while losing inches. You may want to track inches so that you can see the ultimate results.

4. When you start to exercise intensely, your body can go into distress mode and retains water. It will also retain water if you're dehydrated. (Doesn't make sense, but it's true). So, your gain could just be water.

Knowing all of these things, I still have a hard time with it, but maybe it can give you some comfort. Keep it up. It will pay off!

One last thing. Don't starve yourself! That will slow down your metabolism. Eating only 1600 calories does not seem like much for someone your size. You may want to increase that, just make healthy choices when doing it!

Hi! I'm not a regular WISHer. I lurk here basically because I have been where a lot of you are.

First, throw the word diet out. This is not a diet. You are making a life long change to be healthier.

Second, do not starve yourself. You may think this will make the weight loss go faster, but it will do the opposite. If you throw your body into starvation mode it will hold onto every single calorie and fat you put into it. 1600 calories for a man your size is definelty starvation mode in the making.

Third, throw out the scale. Your body weight fluctuates day-by-day. A better indicator of how good you are doing is how your clothes fit. I would MAYBE weigh myself once a week (that's what I do now, at the grocery store, I can't have a scale at home because I will be a slave to it).

Fourth, you are doing good starting off slower on your exercise. If you do too much at one time, you will only get discouraged by the aches and pains.

You are just starting out on a NEW WAY OF LIFE. Don't get discouraged!!! :D

Not discouraged. Just making a point. I just got back from the gym 5 minutes ago.

Today was far better than yesterday. I cut almost 3 minutes off of my mile time, while keeping the incline on the treadmill the same. I did a leg workout today. And I topped it all off with 10 minutes on the crosstrainer.

Day 2, and I'm ok.

I just wanted to jump onto what everyone else has said quite well I might add.

Please, Please Please...don't make this happen all at once. It certainly did not occur at once. Take it easy, and be steadily persistant. You want/need to be successful and that means allowing yourself to come down properly. I am not certain, but my DH is 6' and 230, recently hospatilized for something unrelated to weight, and doc said he should be on an 1800 calorie a day plan (notice I didn't say that D word) and he would begin to feel healthier. He cold adjust downward after time if he felt the need.

Have you consulted your doc about what amount he/she thinks should be part of your initial plan?

You might also want to start out your stats as suggested with that tape measure. It will be your friend when you get to the plateau we all find.

I am glad that day 2 was better. One day at at time, one step at at time...

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING DAY 2!
Keep on keepin' on...[

if you're interested. Go on over to the wish board diary and look
for my name-stego. I was exactly at the weight you were at back in March. If anything, it will entertain you. Or not. I am, however living proof that it can happen. And I never thought. NEVER. True, I did seek professional help through WW. The same WW my mom went to back in the 70's. The key word for me was: accountability. Was I irritable and discontent? OH YES! All I can say is is that the results speak for themselves. I felt it was impossible to do this myself-and it was OK to ask for help in other areas of my life-specifically my struggle with my weight and how I felt. I learned quickly this WOULD be a lifestyle change.

stego, I read part of your journals. Definitely you are coming from where I am coming from. It will help to inspire me. Thanks.

Chuck

Please don't weigh yourself everyday, it can be very discouraging.

I have gained as much as 12 pounds overnight--all fluid. So, I don't weigh myself everyday--don't even weigh every week. I weigh once a month.

Don't forget to measure yourself. You will be losing inches and it's very motivating to keep track of that. I prefer to depend on the tape measure to track my progress instead of the scale.

I'm so glad that you are part of our WISH family.

Katholyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter