Here is a strategy: Dont bring all of your belongings into the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try not to bring a bag. It's so much easier. But my pockets are loaded and that's not always comfortable.

People should bring whatever they need to make their park experience as positive as possible. That's being said, I do wish besides the bagless guests line they had a heavy packers and light packers line. We always used to bring a backpack into the parks. When our kids were small and needed a stroller it wasn't a big deal. Now that our kids are older, the less the better. We went to Universal over Christmas. We stayed at Royal Pacific so we walked to the parks everyday. We decided to try to go bagless our first day and it worked out beautifully and was so liberating. Granted our hotel was a 10 minute walk and our kids were 8 & 10. But I certainly see us going bagless from now on.

In general, I can never understand the people with a stroller loaded down with everything from their room when they have kids 5 - 10 years old or the groups where everybody has a huge backpack filled with stuff..... however, it is nobody else's business what anybody else brings into the parks. I don't have time to sit around and guess "what's in the bag" and wonder if it's medical supplies, dietary supplies, emergency clothing or anything else. As long as I'm not being assaulted by someone's bag I really don't care

I just can't believe people have been seen with 6 bags or with a duffel bag :rotfl2:Yes I bring a stroller, a extra change of clothes for each of my 3 children, plus all the baby stuff and a pair of sandals for myself add the ponchos camera and medicines that my kids might or not need... is a big backpack and bringing all that is for the only purpose of saving money! no I can't buget for a change of clothes if the kids needed, extra diapers and else, Disney is overprice and I don't need a $40+ park outfit for my child sadly the problem here is not how much you bring with you, it's how you prepare for the search, I pack multiple ziplock bags inside my backpack and have all my zippers open by the time I reach the checkpoint :wave:

When my family from Venezuela visits they pack everything you could possibly need. Lunch, snack, dinner, blankets, medicine, I once told them that they didn't need to bring all of it and they simply said that they had spent all of their money on the trip and didn't have any more for extras like food in the parks or souvenirs or toys that the kids might want.
My sister and her family, they are locals but again live paycheck to paycheck, we find them tickets to go to the parks at least once a year cause they have little kids, one time she brought an entire, large pizza, in the box. Security just smiled and said "well you're prepared"
So don't judge others when you don't know their situation. I would like for everyone to be prepared for bag check, the security CM yelling to open all bags and zippers and pockets helps a bit but there's always that person who is too distracted to listen.
About older kids in strollers, I have no issue with this simply because I understand that some kids are not used to walking long distances and maybe having a stroller will eliminate the complaining and whining that will surely come later.
Adults with overstuffed backpacks knocking you over is a real problem, but when was the last time they used a backpack? they have no clue how much it sticks back.

Oh with the judging. The poster came here to vent about it. Big deal - at least they didn't say something to the actual person.

Of course people can do what they want and our opinion doesn't matter. But everybody judges without bothering to find out the "full story". Everybody. You may keep it to yourself, but you've probably looked someone and judged them on what they are wearing, or what they are saying, or eating...who knows. Let's not act like we are all saints here. :p

Oh with the judging. The poster came here to vent about it. Big deal - at least they didn't say something to the actual person.

Of course people can do what they want and our opinion doesn't matter. But everybody judges without bothering to find out the "full story". Everybody. You may keep it to yourself, but you've probably looked someone and judged them on what they are wearing, or what they are saying, or eating...who knows. Let's not act like we are all saints here. :p

That is fine. But let's not also act like posts exist in a vacuum. If you post something, people are free to disagree.

I also find it a bit ironic that some of us are being judged for not liking being judged for what we take into the parks.

That is fine. But let's not also act like posts exist in a vacuum. If you post something, people are free to disagree.

I also find it a bit ironic that some of us are being judged for not liking being judged for what we take into the parks.

I don't think I judged you, did I? I was disagreeing with some comments. ;) Besides, I just said everybody judges! That would include myself. :laughing:

I totally agree. People's lives are packed into those bags and they look miserable carrying them around. People seem way worse about this on the east coast than the west coast. WDW could learn a lot from universal, their security at Universal Orlando was so much faster.

Ha! Just curious, do you mean Disneyland vs Disney World, or WDW guests from the eastcoast vs the westcoast?

Sorry bud...no can do. ;)

:) Its OK, I have my big girl panties on !!! And even though people arent on board with my thoughts, they are being surprisingly nice about it! Not many attacks on me, just debating my opinion!

I don't have time to sit around and guess "what's in the bag" and wonder if it's medical supplies, dietary supplies, emergency clothing or anything else.
My point exactly! I dont want to waste time being forced to see everything in someone else bag. I couldnt care less what is in there, but I have to stand there while they empty all the contents out because the guard cant easily see everything jammed in the huge sack. Then watch them repack. And it doesnt make it better when their boyfriend/husband/friend then lifts a big huge bag behind them, with the same junk.

Last edited:
When my family from Venezuela visits they pack everything you could possibly need. Lunch, snack, dinner, blankets, medicine, I once told them that they didn't need to bring all of it and they simply said that they had spent all of their money on the trip and didn't have any more for extras like food in the parks or souvenirs or toys that the kids might want.

Blankets and medicine? Why does coming from Venezuela and having little money mean you have to bring your entire luggage with you in the park? I get bringing in food and drink. I bring cans of soda in a daypack. However, you've got to learn to optimize. That's all anyone is saying.

:) Its OK, I have my big girl panties on !!! And even though people arent on board with my thoughts, they are being surprisingly nice about it! Not many attacks on me, just debating my opinion!.
I 100% agree with your OP, I was commenting on Buckeyebama's point about some being so argumentative about your post. :goodvibes

Blankets and medicine? Why does coming from Venezuela and having little money mean you have to bring your entire luggage with you in the park? I get bringing in food and drink. I bring cans of soda in a daypack. However, you've got to learn to optimize. That's all anyone is saying.
They don't want to have to buy medicine if they are feeling poorly or a blanket if they get cold. Basically they are thinking of anything and everything they might need during the day, and anticipating needs so they don't have to buy.
And before anyone says anything i know there's first aid at Disney, but they didn't

They don't want to have to buy medicine if they are feeling poorly or a blanket if they get cold. Basically they are thinking of anything and everything they might need during the day, and anticipating needs so they don't have to buy.
And before anyone says anything i know there's first aid at Disney, but they didn't
I wouldn't at all fault them for bringing their own medicines, even if they did know there is first aid available at the parks. Whenever I've traveled to another country I've brought my own OTC medicines because I don't know if the meds I like and am accustomed to will be readily available where I'm traveling. I don't bring the whole drugstore, but usually pack the basics like ibuprofen, Benadryl, and a cold medicine. Especially if there's a language barrier, I don't want to have to go to a drugstore and just hope I'm buying the correct thing.

When i approach bag check I look and see what I have in front, if I see a full stroller, big backpacks and purses I simply move to another line
LOL - my wife doesn't let me pick our bag check line anymore. She says that I am not observant enough. I just walk along and get behind whoever is in front of me - my wife is scoping out the lines as we get near, looking for lines to avoid. :magnify:

A stroller is a great way to wheel around a lot of stuff with little effort.
I totally agree with this and it was great when our twins had to be in stroller because it meant i didn't have to stuff all their stuff in a back pack and carry it.

Thankfully as kids get older the necessities become less. Our last trip we went with a loosely packed back pack (when they were 9) - mostly the what ifs -- what if it rains = ponchos and maybe an umbrella ,
what if they are thirst while waiting in line = couple bottles of water,
what if they are hungry (which would happen just an hour after eating)= granola bars, crackers,
what if my blood sugar started to drop = oh ya more granola bars.

and not for the what ifs, but for the memories = my camera

unfortunately when you are a parent and you have to tend to the needs of little ones, you have to make sacrifices and carry around all the what if, just to keep those kids happy and not crabby. And it isn't always practical or feasible to just drop everything and buy something when there is a need. Yes some people over pack and maybe the very new security procedures will start to have people re-evaluate what they bring or how they pack. Maybe disney should have a helpful guide to getting through security quicker -- a how to pack things in zip lock bags that can been easily unpacked and packed to speed up the process.

This discussion and roll out of the new security has already made me reconsider what i bring when i go to the parks next week. I have a small pocketbook but if i can avoid the lines then i'll go bagless.

Our last trip we went with a loosely packed back pack (when they were 9)
That is key. Loosely packed. If the guards can get in the backpack and move things around to see then there is no need to unpack/repack everything, saving a ton of time. Unfortunately, you will be behind many who are not reading this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter